• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ToQGAF 2014 | Hanamichi! The Next Stop Is Imagination's Stage!

im still not entirely sure whats the moral of toqger lol.

imagination something solves all problems?

and did the moty get eaten by a suicide bomber fish?

I don't think ToQger has a moral or guiding principle right now, aside from IMAGINAAAAA-TION (everytime I think of the Conductor's line from the first ep, it reminds me of the Imaginationland Trilogy). It just seems to be an adventure, with a dash of inter-team drama.

I think the fish just ate the monster, and was then blown up by said monster's death explosion. No kamikaze tactics here.

The theme song is pretty amazing. Probably my favorite thing about the show besides the roll call.

The theme song and the OP do nothing for me (except for the spot where different team members stumble, that's eye-catching at least), but the roll call still seems fresh.

vareon

I'm passing off on him because of his design, it's not bad(not good either) but not something I am willing to spend the money on. I've actually passed on the W figuarts (except Nasca), even though I REALLY loved W, but I'm such a picky bastard when it comes to this kind of stuff where you're putting in a good amount of money on high quality figures.

Gaim on the other hand, I've got these pre-ordered:
-SHFGaim
-SHF Baron
-SHF Zangetsu
-SHF Bravo
-SHF Gridon

-DX Bravo & Gridon set

It's really killing my wallet...

That's like everything announced for now, lol.

im still not entirely sure whats the moral of toqger lol.

imagination something solves all problems?

and did the moty get eaten by a suicide bomber fish?

and this seems to be one of the first sentai in a while that has show full mecha gattai for many eps straight. usually they start using shorten ones by now.

Can't pull out moral right now since the conflicts are still premature. Imagination is a good theme to start, though.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Hikari's ep was episode 2. He had the whole "I can't imagine things unless there's a realistic basis for it" or something stupid like that. Has he even talked in the past 3 episodes?

I wonder why they didn't make an episode based off him yet. And if I'm not mistaken, Souji also took a while to have an episode based on him.

Go Green members always get the shaft?

Souji's first focus episode is Kyouru was the second one. Then he didn't one until the teens where it was more about the girl who had a crush him than himself. I don't think the show really cared much about his character until that Torin training thing happened in the ending arc.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Huh, the ED of ToQger cut a lot of the verse.

Also do you agree with these choices?

HuGGJkS.png

really curious what the average age of people watching gaim are.

I know if I was watching this as a kid, i'd probably have dropped it, shit is grim stuff lol.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
4 maybe 5.

It always amazes me how young the kids watching these shows are (especially after the Kyoryuger credits).
Not just Toku, but certain anime too. Toriko is ultra-violent but I saw a video of a bunch of pre-schoolers dancing to the theme. Granted, the anime severely tones down the brutality but my point remains the same.
Just more evidence that Japanese standards are vastly different.

Then again, I was 3 when MMPR premiered... fucking hell that was so long ago.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
That was made during Gen IV, so there's probably better choices now for some of them...

Like Throh is obviously the perfect Momotaros.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
What's the banner Gaim form called?

Some are good choices, some are just Pokemon with Rider motif.

Gallade x Psyga is probably the most baffling.

I think the second set is mainly fan wishing or something?

That was made during Gen IV, so there's probably better choices now for some of them...

Like Throh is obviously the perfect Momotaros.

I still wonder why Hitmonlee and Top. I guess kicking? A lot of the first part fit for theme references or close to them tho. Like Skyrider being Flygon because Flygon really wants to fly.

What's the banner Gaim form called?

I think the second set is mainly fan wishing or something?

I still wonder why Hitmonlee and Top. I guess kicking? A lot of the first part fit for theme references or close to them tho. Like Skyrider being Flygon because Flygon really wants to fly.

Kachidoki Arms. Also, I think it was Salamence that wanted to fly. Skyrider and Flygon might be the same bug?

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Bunch of clips from the vs. movie are out there and I can't help but watch even though they're raw. There's no raw of the whole thing out as far as I can tell.

WillyFive

Bunch of clips from the vs. movie are out there and I can't help but watch even though they're raw. There's no raw of the whole thing out as far as I can tell.

I went nuts when
they gave Geki a version of the Once a Ranger morph sequence. I guess it makes sense since his show was the only one of the three to not have a real one, and Sakamoto did Once a Ranger as well.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
I went nuts when
they gave Geki a version of the Once a Ranger morph sequence. I guess it makes sense since his show was the only one of the three to not have a real one, and Sakamoto did Once a Ranger as well.

Yeah i thought it looked similar too. It's funny that Toei's cg is so bad that it looks worse than the Once a Ranger morph from like 6 years ago

WillyFive

BatDan

Super Megaforce 06

Bland bland bland
Positives: Casey's cameo was way better than Jayden's, at least he had a point to the episode.
No Sun Vulcan out of nowhere.

Negatives: My God the acting. Emma was really bad this episode.
That spirit animal thing is never going to be brought up again.

Weird stuff: Why did they keep the MotW's name the same as the Sentai? So Vekar could mess it up just like Warz Gill did? It doesn't even have the benefit of being a reference since the Gekiranger vs Boukenger movie was never adapted.
When they're looking at the zoo animals, Jake comments that a chimp is "Troy's brother". I can guarantee that chimp is a far better actor.
Was Casey dead? I never saw Jungle Fury so I'm not sure if that's an ability they have or not.

At least Silver is next week. I'm still kind of hoping that Orion is a big Power Rangers fanboy from space. ... But I know that's probably not going to be the case.

NeonZ

The first 3 minutes of Kamen Rider vs Kamen Rider are online. It covers Kabuto vs Stronger, Kabuto vs Skyrider, Skyrider vs Fourze, Fourze vs J and J vs Gaim. Out of those, Kabuto vs Stronger and J vs Gaim have a decent length while the two battles with Skyrider are very short. Everyone uses some special abilities and such, none of the battles are just suit actors exchanging normal attacks unlike in the previous crossovers.

The director change seems to have really benefited this kind of movie. I really hope they never bring back Kaneda again.

Super Megaforce 06

Positives: Casey's cameo was way better than Jayden's, at least he had a point to the episode.

Negatives:That spirit animal thing is never going to be brought up again.

Weird stuff: Was Casey dead? I never saw Jungle Fury so I'm not sure if that's an ability they have or not.

At least Silver is next week. I'm still kind of hoping that Orion is a big Power Rangers fanboy from space. ... But I know that's probably not going to be the case.

My sentiments exactly. If Casey's appearance is the bar set for features before the Legendary War then there may be some hope yet. Everything Super Megaforce does is easy to write off. Been that way since Megaforce Episode 1 and it isn't changing. Everybody as far as I know survived Jungle Fury so whatever the end was all about might get answered at the end but I doubt it. And I'm definitely interested in how they handle Orion. We may be getting some early Tommy or some Trent & Eric but I highly doubt it though.

BatDan

Looking over the episode titles & synopsises and the corresponding Gokaiger episodes, here's the parts that could cause conflict (that is, Pre-Zyu and other factors)

Episode 7:
The only changes were Sixth Rangers since they just took them from Basco. They will be Quantum Ranger, Solaris Knight, In Space Silver, Mighty Morphin Green and Dino Thunder White. No real issues here.

Episode 8:
They change into Samurai at first (though Gai turned into KingRanger since Marvelous mixed up the 'Gold one with Kanji on the face". I'm curious how they'll do that joke). Tough the Forever Silver morph does have a problem. There's Mercury Ranger, In Space Silver, Lunar Wolf Ranger, RPM Silver and... Robo Knight. They'll have to find a way to work around Noah turning into Robo Knight. Maybe this is where they'll put the Titanium Ranger?

Episode 9:
There's an all RPM morph, but there's also two Pre-Zyu morphs. Green2 (Bioman) and Green Flash (Flashman). I wouldn't be surprised if the latter appears since we already had Pink Flash show up. The real question is if Green2 will appear.

Episode 10:
The synopsis indicates this is an original story. We'll have to wait and see.

Episode 11:
There's MMPR and Turbo (as in Carranger). They can easily edit out Turboranger as that was only to serve a joke in Gokaiger.

Episode 12:
The only change is Dino Thunder. Though there was AbarePink, which wasn't in Dino Thunder. That will be interesting.

Episode 13:
The only change Is Flashman. I imagine this episode will be full of original footage since it's Noah & Jake switching bodies, not Gia & Jake.

Episode 14:
This is based on the Go-Onger two-parter, which had changes to Battle Fever J & Changeman. It's very likely these two will be edited out (since they're merging two episodes into one). Though the SPD change will likely appear (because there hasn't been enough SPD changes.....pfffft).

Episode 15:
This was another two-parter in Gokaiger. The only change was extra rangers (Koragg, Sentinel Knight, Blue Senturion, Kat Ranger, and Magna Defender).

We'll very likely not find about the last 5 or 6 until the Fall because Nickelodeon is run by morons.

WillyFive

Kyoryuger vs. Go-Busters

i3tVIFhHYclMC.gif

Yep, the ads all lied; the Go-Busters have almost as much screentime as the Kyoryugers did. Heck, they were far more important to the plot and did more to save the world than the Kyoryugers, which spent most of the movie getting beat up. Sakamoto is an awesome director, and made a metric ton of awesome moments in the movie. But at the same time, that's almost all the movie was, just fight scene after fight scene after fight scene, with next to no time devoted to plot. Considering how plot heavy Go-Busters was, having to take time away from
J and Jin
to leave space for constant non-stop fight scenes and
the Kyoryugers going back in time to kill their own zords while they were alive
felt like a big waste. It's true that having the latter part was great, but it should have been on the actual show, not here. The same is true for Go-Busters vs. Gokaiger, where the Go-Busters centric storyline should have been left for the show.

But yeah, outside the absence of a plot (and the terrible CG), the movie was spectacular. The whole movie is worth making a gif off, but I'll just pick the obvious Zyuranger moments.

iHhc6fPE16jki.gif

zyufinale.gif

iboeP6vAqdJ41X.gif

Episode 8:
They change into Samurai at first (though Gai turned into KingRanger since Marvelous mixed up the 'Gold one with Kanji on the face". I'm curious how they'll do that joke).

"Awesome! Can I join in? I want to be the gold ranger!"

"No, not that one! The Samurai one!"

Slayven

Rangers find the glow

From making pizza to shoveling tiger shit, no one saves the world to get rich.

Troy is an ass for no goddamn reason.

alvmew

Gaim 23

That. was. amazing.

Sagara is a wizard. He knows Not!Mai. DAT KACHIDOKI FIGHT. This show is the best thing.

vareon

Kouta just earned ten levels in badassery.

Kachidoki was OP, but this cements Sagara as a wild card to both parties.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Rangers find the glow

From making pizza to shoveling tiger shit, no one saves the world to get rich.

Troy is an ass for no goddamn reason.

An robot with an "opinion" is dangerous.

And you guys weren't kidding about gosei. Did the writers forget about him until it was too late or something? What kind of group mentor/advisor is he supposed to be? Someone dig out rj

BatDan

An robot with an "opinion" is dangerous.

And you guys weren't kidding about gosei. Did the writers forget about him until it was too late or something? What kind of group mentor/advisor is he supposed to be? Someone dig out rj

I'm not sure who is more useless. Gosei or Tensou.
At least Gosei can use his godly asspull powers. Tensou is... there. Because apparently Datas was too silly or something.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Kachidoki was awesome. Buying the lockseed BEFORE the show was a good idea. The DJ gun seems a little too loud\annoying though so we'll prolly be skippin that.

lol troy was pretty dickish this eps.... so a personality finally!

glad how there is just a wordpress blog for all the power rangers info.

and they couldn't just clip some widescreen gekiranger footage? vs stretching some 4:3 footage lol

Top Bottom