• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

You can be my co-op bro anytime.

As for the lack of endgame, it's not game breaking obviously, there will be some great mods out there for sure. The problem is, I'd like to be able to run through the campaign and still have something to do at the end. Not sure if you can beat one difficulty and then go to a new one. If so that'll be nice.

Map scrolls man. So. Many. Map scrolls.

That'll be my end game. I fucking love map scrolls.

This is why I am greatly hoping there is a mod for controller support eventually. There wasn't for the first one, which was greatly disappointing considering the XBLA version controlled so much better as a result.

yup, I'm hanging out for it too. might even have a crack at it myself, it's been a long time since I did any coding in windows and Durante has me believing that anything is possible with a little code and elbow-grease.

Yeah - closed servers would really make this game into a good contender. Sadly I'll probably just end up playing through it once and be done with it; Hopefully I can play with people who aren't hacking day 1 the best items in the game but I don't think that'll be the case.

It is a complete deal-breaker for me. I was stunned when I found out it didn't have closed servers, the game went from a 9 on the hype meter to a 4 or 5. It's a $20 game so we have to be realistic but still, imagining how good this game would be with closed servers makes me sad. It'll still be a great game but one of the most important aspects of this genre for me and many others is loot and online co-op, and when you make the loot worthless due to hacking it's just a dagger to the game.

It is a complete deal-breaker for me. I was stunned when I found out it didn't have closed servers, the game went from a 9 on the hype meter to a 4 or 5. It's a $20 game so we have to be realistic but still, imagining how good this game would be with closed servers makes me sad. It'll still be a great game but one of the most important aspects of this genre for me and many others is loot and online co-op, and when you make the loot worthless due to hacking it's just a dagger to the game.

Whoa, what's this about hacking? Should I be worried about playing online?

yup, I'm hanging out for it too. might even have a crack at it myself, it's been a long time since I did any coding in windows and Durante has me believing that anything is possible with a little code and elbow-grease.

Hoping for one as well. Had it pre-ordered since April so I wouldn't mind some jankiness on the menus as long as the core game was playable as a twin-stick shooter with button and triggers as hotkeys....basically like the XBL Torchlight 1. It's not a big deal but it would me more comfortable for me to play.

Anyway looking forward to Outlander. The beta was pure fun.

Do you mean your computer? It's perfectly safe. We were just talking about the game's items and other things. People will have the best gear in the first few days due to hacks since the game is open server. Your PC/network/everything is safe.

The argument is that if you have closed servers, the sanctity of the loot you pick up is unharmed. By allowing public servers, you allow people to hack their gear and make themselves badass without any work.

I understand the argument, but not playing a game based on a single detail is very hard for me to understand. It always seems like loot games in particular bring out the "One certain thing? That's it, I'm done" in people.

Alright, thanks for the clarification. So as long as I play with legit players, like the lot of you GAF'ers, I don't have to be worried about playing with people with OP gear, right?

JoeBoy101

Pets make a welcome return for those of us who get scared when we’re slaying the demon hordes on our lonesome. This time around they aren’t limited to selling, but can even head to the shops for you and buy items you need. If you’re going to send them back to town to sell your junk though, just make sure you always get receipts.

245870297.gif

Preordered and torn between Berserker and Engineer. Melee oriented engineer sounds so awesome, but... berserker! With shadow animals!

MrDaravon

The argument is that if you have closed servers, the sanctity of the loot you pick up is unharmed. By allowing public servers, you allow people to hack their gear and make themselves badass without any work.

I understand the argument, but not playing a game based on a single detail is very hard for me to understand. It always seems like loot games in particular bring out the "One certain thing? That's it, I'm done" in people.

It's not a dealbreaker for me, but it will relegate the game to the same status of Torchlight 1; a great game I will go through once, then never again. I feel pretty strongly about closed systems because I like feeling that I've "earned" rare stuff. In Torchlight 1 it's a non-issue since there was no official multiplayer, but in this I expect to see people running around with crazy shit day one, and I'm just like fuuuuck. I could see how it would be a dealbreaker for some people.

I'm probably just still bitter from the PSO days on that front though.

aaannd i'm out. oh well.
Instanced loot should be mandatory for these games, you crazy.

The thing with something like this is that it makes the game not worth venturing past your friend circle, in an open environment things are always going to just go to shit. I can see it being a dealbreaker, but it means very little to me as I'm just gonna be co-oping it with a partner.

I understand the argument, but not playing a game based on a single detail is very hard for me to understand. It always seems like loot games in particular bring out the "One minor thing? That's it, I'm done" in people.

It's not a minor detail for lots of people. Imagine Diablo 3 being open server and everyone having insane hacked gear with 999999 dps... sure it would still be fun to play through the story and see everything but the online would be screwed, and it's a huge part of the game. Co-op, trading, having an economy, showing off your e-peen, and most importantly hunting for loot and upgrades which adds a lot of replay value. These things are not minor. If you don't intend on playing much online co-op, don't care about trading or the 'economy', don't care about showing off and being a badass, min-maxing your gear, hunting for those legendaries, then this is not an issue. All that shit is important to me. Loot is central to this genre.

It's not a dealbreaker for me, but it will relegate the game to the same status of Torchlight 1; a great game I will go through once, then never again. I feel pretty strongly about closed systems because I like feeling that I've "earned" rare stuff. In Torchlight 1 it's a non-issue since there was no official multiplayer, but in this I expect to see people running around with crazy shit day one, and I'm just like fuuuuck. I could see how it would be a dealbreaker for some people.

Yep, that sums it up better.

receipts.gif

That's what I expected.

I was commenting more on the concept of a dealbreaker than that specific example. Like I said, I understand the complaint, even if I cannot empathize. I'm not really into comparing myself to those around me, and the rarity of stuff in loot games always feels purely systematic and artificial as opposed to a payoff of my hard work. (I think this is why I don't get along with MMO's)

It's not a minor detail for lots of people. Imagine Diablo 3 being open server and everyone having insane hacked gear with 999999 dps... sure it would still be fun to play through the story and see everything but the online would be screwed, and it's a huge part of the game. Co-op, trading, having an economy, showing off your e-peen, and most importantly hunting for loot and upgrades which adds a lot of replay value. These things are not minor. If you don't intend on playing much online co-op, don't care about trading or the 'economy', don't care about showing off and being a badass, min-maxing your gear, hunting for those legendaries, then this is not an issue. All that shit is important to me. Loot is central to this genre.

I like online co-op, and I'm psyched for the game. I probably won't play with people who hack their equipment to keep the game balanced and fun. But the concept of "e-peen" and showing off your shit might be the dumbest thing I've heard in a long time.

However, your response highlights that this isn't a detail, but rather a bigger picture matter. And that makes more sense to me.

for clarity since the doomsayers-with-no-obvious-affiliations have already arrived:

- online fully supports mods
- the host selects the mods to allow
- the client can see what mods the host is running

it's really not all that different from quakeworld.

This is why I am greatly hoping there is a mod for controller support eventually. There wasn't for the first one, which was greatly disappointing considering the XBLA version controlled so much better as a result.

XBLA version controlled beautifully, I thought it was a console game. Didn't know it was a PC port.

That's only one of the reasons I mentioned. Sort of half-joking as well, although ya can't tell from it. The other reasons are far more important, along with what Sailor said about feeling like you earned something.

Beat your edit btw muahahah.

I edit way, way, way too much and I need to stop doing that.

Perhaps the difference in perspective is because I'll probably end up playing with a limited group of people anyway, so I probably won't run into the larger crowds of Super Weapon hackers.

Agkel

I havent played Torchlight yet. Is now a good time to pick it up before Torchlight II releases and Borderlands II?

For referenece I really didnt like Diablo 3 in the long run, beat it up till inferno with my Monk and thats it. Got tired of no good loot and no real random maps.

MrDaravon

I havent played Torchlight yet. Is now a good time to pick it up before Torchlight II releases and Borderlands II?

For referenece I really didnt like Diablo 3 in the long run, beat it up till inferno with my Monk and thats it. Got tired of no good loot and no real random maps.

If you think you can finish it up in the next 2-3 days sure. It's still a great game, but otherwise you'd probably be better off just getting the sequels I'd imagine.

Agkel

If you think you can finish it up in the next 2-3 days sure. It's still a great game, but otherwise you'd probably be better off just getting the sequels I'd imagine.

Dont think I would be able to but I also dont mind waiting on playing sequels if I pick up the first iteration and its good. Borderlands II is already bought, since I just beat the first and the DLC with my GF and she want more. But I wouldnt mind waiting on Torch II, if Torch I is an enjoyable experience.

Dont think I would be able to but I also dont mind waiting on playing sequels if I pick up the first iteration and its good. Borderlands II is already bought, since I just beat the first and the DLC with my GF and she want more. But I wouldnt mind waiting on Torch II, if Torch I is an enjoyable experience.

Just get TL2, skip the first as it's very repetitive. Looks like the sequel is much improved and added some really good features.

alazz

Nice op, jim-jam! Berserker is so close; I can almost feel it. That class is the only melee class I've ever enjoyed in isometric ARPGs. Engineer, however, didn't hook me. I want to get into it, because I like the idea of a warrior minion master, but it just didn't feel interesting enough and it combated too safely. The beta didn't seem like it foreshadowed how it'd play later on, though. They really have to get the Embermage's balance right this time. Alchemist was fucking bonkers in TL1.

One really great feature that isn't mentioned much is how the multiplayer mob difficulty scales by proximity to other players. If you're all grouped together mobs are more difficult, but if you're by yourself, mobs are as difficulty as they'd be in a single-player game. At least I think that's how it worked.

sorry, I wasn't trying to clarify your concerns specifically because I don't give a fuck about them. the game will be better off without people who think that someone getting nice loot by cheating ruins their experience.

Yeah I don't care either. I played a lot of open battle.net on D2 and kind of grew to like some of the hackers, even though I couldn't stand how they'd fuck with me. (Zipping around with an aura of instagib, clearing out entire areas.) It's great that you can view enabled mods, and so long as you can kick players, I'm fine with hackers (provided they don't nuke zones before you can kick 'em.)

Torchlight I is more or less Diablo 1, whereas Torchlight II is more or less Diablo 2.

If you want a very tight dungeon-and-town only loot action experience, pick up the first. But the second one is much more expansive and looks to be like a much better game.

ZenaxPure

I look forward to trying this one out. I beat the first one once (which is only about 10 hours spent with the game admittedly) and enjoyed it overall, but, I am not the biggest fan of the actual core combat. Not enough active abilities (at least with the heavy melee dude) which made combat boil down to one button spam by the end of the game, too many passive abilities and auras which I find generally boring. Also ughhhhhh mana pot spam.

I didn't play the beta and have avoided most videos up until now so I am going into Torchlight II pretty blind on what to expect, hope it fixes most problems I personally had.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Oh don't worry, enjoy what you like.

I just simply agreed with jim because people are baffled that the two games came out together and suddenly lambast TLII :p

Ourobolus

Banned

I just simply agreed with jim because people are baffled that the two games came out together and suddenly lambast TLII :p

I like them both (except for the TL Dark Zealots...)! I just don't understand their marketing reasoning to release the game at the nigh-same time as BL2.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!

I think people are baffled because they had all summer to release the game, but instead they waited until the biggest MMO was releasing an expansion and another loot game was releasing to finally release their game.

I don't think that makes TL2 a lesser game at all, but it is pretty bad timing for release.

Top Bottom