• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

I prefer Borderlands to Torchlight so lets fight!

That being said, Torchlight 2 looks to be a lot less boring than Torchlight 1 (after you completed the campaign) so perhaps Torchlight will win round 2.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I can't wait to play this. I'm probably going to roll Embermage for my solo run and Beserker for co-op shenanigans with a friend.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
But you can do both! There's no online-offline distinction. Offline characters are online characters.
I know. I just prefer to run separate characters. Plus he will be occupied with Borderlands 2 for a while, so I don't want to be severely overleveled whenever he gets Torchlight 2.

I will be getting this, if to just play alone. If Runic had the resources to do what was done in D2 with Open and Closed servers, then this game would probably have kept me interested for years to come.

alazz

Someone on the official runic forums asked if running his own closed vanilla server would be possible. No official response was given, but the community seems to think that, yeah, it'd be possible, but difficult for one guy to do.

I know. I just prefer to run separate characters. Plus he will be occupied with Borderlands 2 for a while, so I don't want to be severely overleveled whenever he gets Torchlight 2.

I see what you mean now. I have a few friends that I'll be playing with as well, so I'll probably have a couple characters too, for when I want to be around a certain level range.

dLMN8R

Am I allowed in this thread? I really really loved Diablo 3, and I have Torchlight II preordered and I can't wait to play it.

Lothars

Am I allowed in this thread? I really really loved Diablo 3, and I have Torchlight II preordered and I can't wait to play it.
I'm exactly the same as you but I am going to wait on playing Torchlight 2 because even though I have it preloaded, I have so many other games to play and I think they released it at an absolutely terrible time of year.

At least it's gonna be out though.

torchlight launched at as similarly awful time of year and it managed to do alright. the gameplay is just really really great, other games might have better production values and prettier textures but torchlight is simply pure unadulterated bliss in gaming form.

so I think it'll do pretty well.

Chris R

My MBA has issues with the first, even in netbook mode, so I'm betting it wouldn't like this :(

Will wait and hope someone posts their impressions using a MBA so I can see if I need to pick this up or not. Would be great if this was good, because D3 got me wanting a good game in this vein (which D3 is not).

really didn't care for the game after being push back couple of times, but after seeing the Giantbomb live stream on this game really changed my mind.

looking forward to the game

Twinduct

Gah can't wait for this. So glad it got steam workshop support! Going Engineer, enjoyed the hell out of mine during the beta.

KePoW

Banned
But you can do both! There's no online-offline distinction. Offline characters are online characters.

Is this really the case?? How do they prevent character hacks/editing with this kind of system then?

I'm not talking about account hacks, I mean like players editing their characters to make them super powerful or hacked items, etc... as far as I understand, any offline game is prone to that?

Is this really the case?? How do they prevent character hacks/editing with this kind of system then?

I'm not talking about account hacks, I mean like players editing their characters to make them super powerful or hacked items, etc... as far as I understand, any offline game is prone to that?

runic know this, runic don't care. if it's a major problem for you just only play with the GAF group and you should be pretty much insulated from it.

zulux21

TL2 supports steam workshop? When did this happen?

Joined the group also. I need to check out the skill trees to see if there is a potential necromancer build.
that was announced months ago :p
from reading around the Runic forums it sounds like they plan to do a decent amount of of mod support themselves. For example one of the guys talked about adding a cursed weapons mod... not sure how it would work but it was an idea the guy pushed hard to get into the actual game but since the majority didn't want it he is hoping to at least push it out as a mod.

I am hoping that with the steamworks support we get alot of mod support. I know the original game got some new classes via mods, I wouldn't mind getting a bunch of new classes with mods this time. Depending on how easy the mod tools are to use I might attempt to make some mods. If the tools are there I might work on a Sweeny Todd Quest :p (I thought about trying to do like a Master Sword quest with the reward being a unique item called the master sword of the mod tools allowed but i figured someone else would pump one of those out much faster than I could so I moved to Sweeny Todd as my wife would love that and I doubt anyone else will do that lol)

that is of course only if the mod tools they launch will support custom quests :p

Either way next weekend should be fun. It will be nice to actually play a loot game this year for fun. i have a number of hours logged into D3 but I mostly consider those work hours as I was just farming to get items to sell for real money.

With the mod support I imagine it won't even be a case of you need to hack or edit you will be able to openly mod them. If you don't want to play with people who have modded/hacked characters then just get a group of friends who don't do that that you play with. With a game like this really if 90% of the community hacks their character it's not a big deal, as if you don't like it then don't play with them. I will just be playing with my friends which is how I go about playing most games online as I usually don't have good luck with random allies lol.
Gah can't wait for this. So glad it got steam workshop support! Going Engineer, enjoyed the hell out of mine during the beta.

Healbot for the win. I am likely going to start with an engineer as well though I am curious with gear and what not if by the end of game something like the healbot will be as awesome... but in the beta the healbot made the engineer a beast lol.

KePoW

Banned
runic know this, runic don't care. if it's a major problem for you just only play with the GAF group and you should be pretty much insulated from it.

You don't think GAFers will do any edits at all to their characters?

I had no idea they were sticking with this type of system in TL2, that sucks bad. I would only trust personal friends in a system like this, but I don't think any will be buying it. That's why I was hoping for a real closed MP mode, because I actually like playing with random people (as long as I know it's a system without edited characters).

Disappointing. Edited characters/items completely takes the fun out of games, and I don't want to play with any of them in MP.

Moaradin

You don't think GAFers will do any edits at all to their characters?

I had no idea they were sticking with this type of system in TL2, that sucks bad. I would only trust personal friends in a system like this, but I don't think any will be buying it. That's why I was hoping for a real closed MP mode, because I actually like playing with random people (as long as I know it's a system without edited characters).

Disappointing. Edited characters/items completely takes the fun out of games, and I don't want to play with any of them in MP.

Then don't. There will be plenty of GAFers that will want an unmodified experience as well, but no point in trying to restrict the players that do find enjoyment in that kind of stuff. Mods are what will make this game last in the long run.

anyone in the GAF group found hacking saves for nefarious purposes will be forced into a no-holds barred nude cage match with Bish and Tekno. we're taking these things very seriously.

KePoW

Banned
Then don't. There will be plenty of GAFers that will want an unmodified experience as well, but no point in trying to restrict the players that do find enjoyment in that kind of stuff. Mods are what will make this game last in the long run.

What's so hard about having a separate Closed online-only server side characters, versus separate moddable Open local characters?

I can't see any negatives to offering both?

zulux21

Well I imagine the person wasn't talking about trying to restrict everyone, just have a separate MP mode where stuff like that wasn't allowed. The only restricted people then would be the people who choose that mode.

The problem is that it would take a lot of extra effort to keep that mode clean, and ultimately it would likely just be a losing battle as people would just be jerks anyways. A sad truth about online games it's that a lot of people turn into raging jackasses when they are able to hide behind a user name. A ton of people would pick that mode and hack their characters just to screw with the people who wanted a mod free experience because they would find it funny to do so. I don't recall the name for it, but I know there are a number of videos on youtube where players play hardcore characters in Diablo 3 which they make overpowered, and then go stand in a dangerous area and invite people to join them just to watch them die in the dangerous area because they aren't wearing super gear themselves thus causing the person to lose their character personally just because they find it funny.

It's why the simplest solution would just be to play with people you know don't mod their characters and don't play with people who do. There will be enough GAF members who don't mod stuff that you could likely get in a game without mods if you wanted.

What's so hard about having a separate Closed online-only server side characters, versus separate moddable Open local characters?

I can't see any negatives to offering both?

For the TL;DR response. Because it would require more effort from runic and result in a mode that would still be filled with hack/mods because people are raging jackasses @_@

zulux21

This has been on my steam preorder library forever.

Is the mac version at launch also?
Which platforms will Torchlight II be released on?

Torchlight II will release first on PC. Once we've shipped the PC version, we plan to do a Mac port. No console or Linux releases are planned at this time.

from there support page, so unless that has changed (which I don't think it has but I don't really follow mac news) there won't be one at launch but there will be one after launch.

Moaradin

I want to see pictures of armor before I decide.

My low level armor in the beta.

ibpfnkB5Hhxulo.png

KePoW

Banned
A ton of people would pick that mode and hack their characters just to screw with the people who wanted a mod free experience because they would find it funny to do so. I don't recall the name for it, but I know there are a number of videos on youtube where players play hardcore characters in Diablo 3 which they make overpowered, and then go stand in a dangerous area and invite people to join them just to watch them die in the dangerous area because they aren't wearing super gear themselves thus causing the person to lose their character personally just because they find it funny.

I've seen those videos, and that's not hacks at all. That's fair game, it's just being an asshole.

When I say "hacks", I'm talking about third-party programs that directly edit character stats/attributes/items. As far as I know, an online server side game like WoW or D3 has not had anything like that.

Sure, there have been plenty of exploits of in-game mechanics or bugs, but that's completely different. I can deal with that. But I don't want to play with people directly editing their characters.

TGMIII

I've seen those videos, and that's not hacks at all. That's fair game, it's just being an asshole.

When I say "hacks", I'm talking about third-party programs that directly edit character stats/attributes/items. As far as I know, an online server side game like WoW or D3 has not had anything like that.

Sure, there have been plenty of exploits of in-game mechanics or bugs, but that's completely different. I can deal with that. But I don't want to play with people directly editing their characters.

So if you join a game where someone has clearly edited their stats just leave and join a new room. I had the same issue but when I thought about it, I never have to stay in the game with them but I'll also only be playing online with friends so it's personally less of an issue for me.

zulux21

when talking about the videos I wasn't trying to say they hacked them, but that there are a number of people in general who are raging jackasses.

and yes neither WoW nor D3 has had rampant problems with hacks (there have been some but they tend to be nipped quickly) but those are always online games, from a company that has a rather large fortune invested into their online servers. Runic is not blizzard and not only could they not afford it, but I wouldn't want it. One of the main reasons I want torchlight 2 is for the mods, something D3 is lacking. Also the always online thing comes at the cost of being able to play single player alone. And it's not like they could make an offline single player mode as it would give the hackers access to the player data and allow them to hack... it's why D3 doesn't have one. Given torchlight 2 isn't server side only with data, and will allow people to mod the game, even adding a closed online mode will still result in a ton of hacks. A game like Dungeon Defenders would be a far more reasonable comparison for this than D3 or WoW and that game does have a closed online mode that doesn't allow mods, and it is rampant with people using hacks.

Really if you want a game where the company is actively fighting against hacks I think you are looking at the wrong game. For $20, from a fairly small company, expecting something like that is just ludicrous. Again it's really not that hard to just locate people who don't play with mods and then befriend them.

So if you join a game where someone has clearly edited their stats just leave and join a new room. I had the same issue but when I thought about it, I never have to stay in the game with them but I'll also only be playing online with friends so it's personally less of an issue for me.

I will likely just be playing with my friends, but I would go about TL2 a lot like D3 if I needed more people to play with. Join a bunch of games, if their play style (in this case, they don't use hacks/mods) works with me I add them as a friend, if not I move on to the next people. If the game is a quarter as popular as the top sellers would indicate (torchlight 2 has been in the top 20 sellers since it's preorder launched except for a few days here or there) it shouldn't take long to find people you enjoy playing with.

Top Bottom