• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

KePoW

Banned
So if you join a game where someone has clearly edited their stats just leave and join a new room. I had the same issue but when I thought about it, I never have to stay in the game with them but I'll also only be playing online with friends so it's personally less of an issue for me.

I understand, but you can't always tell. It's obvious if someone edits their STR to a million and one shots everything. But what if they only raise their stats by like 25-50%...I wouldn't necessarily know, and that would constantly bug me lol.

If I had real life friends who would play TL2, then you're right, I wouldn't care.

TGMIII

I understand, but you can't always tell. It's obvious if someone edits their STR to a million and one shots everything. But what if they only raise their stats by like 25-50%...I wouldn't necessarily know, and that would constantly bug me lol.

If I had real life friends who would play TL2, then you're right, I wouldn't care.

Yeah I understand that some people might be a little less obvious with their edits but again I just thought to myself that if someone is going to edit stats then they'll most likely just go all out. I feel like the audience for this sort of game usually aren't the sort of people that would edit stats but like you said some people just want to come in and ruin games sometimes.

I think if you worry about it too much you'll just detract from your own enjoyment of the game. Just play and if you ever think someone is suspicious bail out and try a different room. It sucks to have to do that but I feel like the number of people you'll run into who edit stats, and play online, will be pretty low.

KePoW

Banned
and yes neither WoW nor D3 has had rampant problems with hacks (there have been some but they tend to be nipped quickly) but those are always online games, from a company that has a rather large fortune invested into their online servers. Runic is not blizzard and not only could they not afford it, but I wouldn't want it. One of the main reasons I want torchlight 2 is for the mods, something D3 is lacking. Also the always online thing comes at the cost of being able to play single player alone. And it's not like they could make an offline single player mode as it would give the hackers access to the player data and allow them to hack... it's why D3 doesn't have one. Given torchlight 2 isn't server side only with data, and will allow people to mod the game, even adding a closed online mode will still result in a ton of hacks. A game like Dungeon Defenders would be a far more reasonable comparison for this than D3 or WoW and that game does have a closed online mode that doesn't allow mods, and it is rampant with people using hacks.

Ok if this technical explanation is true, then I did not know that. It would make some sense.

I guess I thought of Runic as successful and having good resources. But I have no idea how much it costs to do an online server-side game. Why can't every dev have Blizzard's finances =P

Swig_

Do we know how powerful TorchED will be for TL2? I'm kind of interested in seeing what type of mods might be available or possible.

VandalD

Finally, a Torchlight 2 OT. Someone mentioned dual wielding - you can dual wield any one-handed things, even a melee weapon and a wand. You won't be able to have the execute chance (attack with both weapons at the same time) unless you use two weapons of the same type, but you can mix weapons if you want to.

There are many, many pictures of gear in this post on the TL2 forums. http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=31261

To clarify on something else, the game will NOT be shipping with the editor at launch, but it shouldn't take long for it to be released.

zulux21

Ok if this technical explanation is true, then I did not know that. It would make some sense.

I guess I thought of Runic as successful and having good resources. But I have no idea how much it costs to do an online server-side game. Why can't every dev have Blizzard's finances =P

Well that was at least how the always online for D3 was justified when I read about it. The way diablo 3 is set up a lot of the assets are server side only and the game downloads and loads them as you play so at most little chunks of the games assets are on your computer at a time. The map and voice work and what not are on your PC, but I believe the monsters as well as loot and what not are all generated online, and your character save data is strictly hosted online (I could be wrong about some of this, but I know the lack of single player/lan is directly because it would give hackers easier access to hacking the game)

And it would be nice if more of the talented developers had blizzard's money. But alas Blizzard managed to make one of the biggest single game cash cows of all time, a feat that can't be repeated by most companies.

Do we know how powerful TorchED will be for TL2? I'm kind of interested in seeing what type of mods might be available or possible.

the support site mentioned creating new content for the game, so hopefully that means new classes, new quests, new items and what not.

To clarify on something else, the game will NOT be shipping with the editor at launch, but it shouldn't take long for it to be released.

I've heard that as well, but to be fair people should play and enjoy the game some before trying to mod the Legend of Zelda into everything anyways(or other stuff but we all know the zelda stuff will be coming), so I don't think it's a big deal even if the mod tools take a few months to come out lol.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Oh, I didn't know there was a male and female option for every class. Gonna roll a female berserker now. And name her Ice Cube.

zulux21

It was this or borderlands 2. This won :)

it was the same for me... I felt BL2 would be slightly more fun but not 4 times the price more fun... as torchlight 2 ended up being $30 for me (had to get a copy for the wife) and borderlands would have been $117 (36 per copy and 22.50 per season pass so I figure i can wait for a 66-75% off steam sale maybe as soon as the winter one if not next summer)

VandalD

It was this or borderlands 2. This won :)
Absolutely.
I've heard that as well, but to be fair people should play and enjoy the game some before trying to mod the Legend of Zelda into everything anyways(or other stuff but we all know the zelda stuff will be coming), so I don't think it's a big deal even if the mod tools take a few months to come out lol.
Agreed. It's probably a good thing, though I'd love to just take a look at the changes they made to the editor. Oh well. More waiting for good things.

Nabs

Oh, I didn't know there was a male and female option for every class. Gonna roll a female berserker now. And name her Ice Cube.

My female berserker was named Boomshakalaka. She was a beast. I'm not sure if I'm going to bring her back, or roll with a different class.

sazzy

So I was wondering...

If the preload is up and everything, why can't we just start playing?

Its not like the game has a retail/street date :(+

zulux21

my female outlander will be named Jane-Jam, because I'm a creature of habit.

My female outlander will be named Haruka
though I will be playing a female engineer named Hanako first
then likely a mage named Haruhi
and then the zerker named Alala....

I to am a creature of habit... to the point where I have a name I use for each type of character in every game I play lol.

My female outlander will be named Haruka
though I will be playing a female engineer named Hanako first
then likely a mage named Haruhi
and then the zerker named Alala....

I to am a creature of habit... to the point where I have a name I use for each type of character in every game I play lol.

haha me too. my caster will be mcgankable, which was the priest I played in wow for many years.

zulux21

haha me too. my caster will be mcgankable, which was the priest I played in wow for many years.

My names all come from a single D&D campaign. I was playing a rouge named Haruka, who also happened to be Haruhi, Hanako, and another Haru name I forget but either way the party ended up just calling me Haru as most of my names had Haru in them. (Haruhi was the name she took when she was pretending to be a mage, Hanako was the name she took as a paladin, so it happens to be my healer name)

Alala was the barb of the party from the same campaign lol

The odd thing is after this campaign I played persona 3 for the first time, and it was the first game that I had to give myself a first and last name(that I cared about what I was named). Normally I would just name my male characters zulu or zulux but really neither make a good first name, so I settled on Haru for a first name and now tend to name my male characters Haru Zulux (I don't have another name for male characters as in general I only run a single male character in any game I play ><)

Fularu

Banned
Will get this game during the Steam holiday sale.

TL burned me with how dreadfull it was, I'm not holding my breath this will be widely different but you never know.

VandalD

Same! D2 names became WoW names. WoW names will become TL2 names. I'm split on playing Embermage or Outlander first. I finished the beta with an Outlander. I love the back flip, Rune Vault. Didn't like the Berserker so much, and didn't give the Engineer much of a chance. Guess I just love the ranged characters. I'm the same with D2. Also don't know if I'm going to start right off on Elite difficulty. That's what I beat the beta in, but it was definitely slower paced than Veteran.
TL burned me with how dreadfull it was, I'm not holding my breath this will be widely different but you never know.
Understandable. TL didn't have nearly the variety and it had bad loot soup, a bad enchanting system, and the active skills were overshadowed by the passives. TL2 is much improved. It would depend on what you hated about the first game.

Can someone tell me how respeccing now works in the game? I know it was changed from the beta (respec until level 10), but I don't understand how it is being handled now.

VandalD

Can someone tell me how respeccing now works in the game? I know it was changed from the beta (respec until level 10), but I don't understand how it is being handled now.
When you pay to respec, you take out the last 3-4 points you put into skills and get them back. Not sure the exact number, but it's not a complete respec.

When you pay to respec, you take out the last 3-4 points you put into skills and get them back. Not sure the exact number, but it's not a complete respec.

So you can't do that as often as you want until you get all your points back? Alright, will have to rely on mods then..

zulux21

Same! D2 names became WoW names. WoW names will become TL2 names. I'm split on playing Embermage or Outlander first. I finished the beta with an Outlander. I love the back flip, Rune Vault. Didn't like the Berserker so much, and didn't give the Engineer much of a chance. Guess I just love the ranged characters. I'm the same with D2. Also don't know if I'm going to start right off on Elite difficulty. That's what I beat the beta in, but it was definitely slower paced than Veteran.

I will be playing with two different people at once so I will likely be playing both an outlander and engineer at the same time. I also tend to play ranged characters (I was an amazon in D2, Demon Hunter in D3 for example) I started with the outlander class in TL2 first and then I played around with the mage a bit, then I hit the engineer and for the first time in a while I liked the melee class the best. That likely had something to do with the heal bot the engineer gets, as it's life regen made me feel like a complete and utter bad ass lol. Im looking forward to taking all of the characters to max level though, and if my wife enjoys the game half as much as she thinks she will I will likely do modding as well (or at least try to create mod content)

You don't think GAFers will do any edits at all to their characters?

I had no idea they were sticking with this type of system in TL2, that sucks bad. I would only trust personal friends in a system like this, but I don't think any will be buying it. That's why I was hoping for a real closed MP mode, because I actually like playing with random people (as long as I know it's a system without edited characters).

Disappointing. Edited characters/items completely takes the fun out of games, and I don't want to play with any of them in MP.

True, what's stopping someone from hacking only a single item or stat? It would be impossible to really know.. Disappointing there is no solution.

The only mods I'll be using the first time I play this are respec mods to try every skill. :p

And it begins.

So you can't do that as often as you want until you get all your points back? Alright, will have to rely on mods then..

Guess I'll have to play offline.

spirity

I hate those health and mana orbs. Damn things look like plastic, cheap and tacky. I much prefer them to look like glass, with swirling liquid inside. One of the first things I'm going to mod I think.

-PXG-

So if I bought this months ago (the promotion where you got TL1 for free), it should auto-install on the 20th, right?

Volcynika

So if I bought this months ago (the promotion where you got TL1 for free), it should auto-install on the 20th, right?

Games don't auto install. I think if it's preloaded it might automatically decrypt itself though (I think Darksiders 2 did that when it was unlocked).

Corto

Can't wait. I purposely didn't play the Beta, though I've installed it, to come in fresh to this one.
Dibs on the wizard.
Healer.
Steam ID corto1976

spirity

Why did you put "rapidly clicking" in the OP?

Are you the guys who used to just rapidly palm the buttons in Street Fighter at the arcade?

Is that guy who complained about breaking his $100 mouse because he doesn't know how to hold click to walk and attack in these games going to post here?

I just wanna save your index fingers, everybody. Say no to rapid clicking.

I've seen a few Diablo 3 lets plays with people who click 50 times to move 5 feet. I don't know if its a Starcraft thing but its hilarious. Though I suspect jim-jam bongs may have put it in there because of the association these games have with clicking on stuff and the repetition of it.

Stahsky

A passionate embrace, a beautiful memory lingers.
How come I can't find any talent trees or calcs for this game still? :(

Krabboss

Honestly not understanding the concerns people are having about playing with people with modded junk. You can always a) not play with strangers, 2) leave if you find a person who has modded their game, or iii) not care if you can't tell whether they've modded their game or not.

It is a huge issue though, I intend to play a hardcore character and knowing that I can't really trust anyone is a huge risk.

Yeah I don't understand this. I need to play with the respec mod, otherwise I will probably not enjoy this as much. I'll just sit on mountains of unspent skill points because I don't know which skills are worth it and which will be useless later on. It always happens.

I don't understand how this affects you at all.

Izayoi

Banned
Why we gotta be tearing down Borderlands? They're both awesome series, no need to drag either one through the mud. I'm getting TL2 and BL2 (to go along with GW2, and PS2...)

alazz

How come I can't find any talent trees or calcs for this game still? :(

Likely these aren't up-to-date trees, but they're the best I know of
Berserker
Embermage
Engineer
Outlander

Why we gotta be tearing down Borderlands? They're both awesome series, no need to drag either one through the mud. I'm getting TL2 and BL2 (to go along with GW2, and PS2...)
obviously because there can only be one.
but who beheads whom

Top Bottom