• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

scy

GT is definitely my prime damage dealer, with rapid fire being used to mop up the rest of the mobs HP as its mana costs are much lower. I guess that means I should prob stick with the first bow. I'll give it a go at working it out myself but frankly I'm pretty average when it comes to crunching numbers. Thanks again...

On that note, you may want to stop putting more points in to Glaive Throw. The damage per point goes up rather slow while the mana cost increases stupidly fast. 5/15 is about where it's perfect for spamming (for Focus heavy builds) so more than that will really eat into your Mana.

Fugu

I'd say to stop at 184 rather than 200 just since the cost per point effectiveness drops off again after that. A balance of the stats (Damage%, Crit Chance%, Crit Damage% that is) will yield the best results, however, my point is that the amount that DEX returns isn't worth it eventually. That said, the formula isn't very complicated:

WeaponDamage * (1 + (Crit Chance * Crit Damage%)) * (1 + Damage%)

300% Critical Damage is around where 113 is the best return; 400% Crit Damage for going to 184, 500% for going to 276, and then a rather absurd amount to make 500 DEX worth it.
I stop at 200 and I just barely hit 276 with items. I also make the dodge cap with only six points in dodge mastery.

I don't disagree that diminishing returns hit dex pretty hard. But you're still going to optimally end up with a high dex total.

scy

I stop at 200 and I just barely hit 276 with items. I also make the dodge cap with only six points in dodge mastery.

I don't disagree that diminishing returns hit dex pretty hard. But you're still going to optimally end up with a high dex total.

To be fair, some of my logic is for DEX at large rather than for an Outlander specifically, hence the lack of concern for stat requirements when thinking about the stopping points of 53/113. Even then, DEX is a good defensive stat itself so X/1/X/1 splits make a lot of sense for many characters. Honestly, for any non-Shield character, I may just not bother with VIT past +10% Armor/Resists, if even that far, and do 3 Damage stat, 2 DEX. 4/1 gets you to around 113 DEX by 99, 3/2 will be around 200.

Dunno yet. Need to spend more time number crunching things. I really want my 2H Engineer to work out for Elite.

On that note, I should probably look into how I want to build my Wand (...maybe Staff?!) Berserker. No STR on a Berserker feels weird.

Csokis

My weapon. :) Very good imho.

hammer74scq.jpg

scy

Again more relevant to hardcore but I don't see non-shield builds as a viable thing.

I can easily tweak my caster Berserker to a Wand/Shield setup. I might do that, just to finally have a character to use all the damn Shields I keep getting. Though, I assume HC has a separate stash so it's more hoping that my Shield luck continues.

And you're probably right for non-Shield build viability for (Elite) HC. High DEX, high VIT builds with a focus on strong scaling skills rather than STR/Focus for damage (and/or itemize for STR/Focus). Though, "high" VIT might be unnecessary due to the low Block cap (50%) with how common and high Block Chance% items are.

Fugu

Yeah, you don't really need a ton of vit. It's reasonable to assume that you'll be working with 15 or 20% block before vit. Right now my chance is near the cap on a 15% shield.

Stupid question: does block from vit apply if you don't have a shield? Probably not, right? Heck it probably even says so in the tooltip but I'm at work.

I hope they add some items that do odd things you might not expect, like unique gloves that provide a small % of shield block, that sort of thing. That's what made Diablo 2 fun for me, those sought-after items that stood out in the sea of +5 mana, +1 light radius.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If Torchlight 2 had respecs I would seriously play each character once and never again, because there'd be no need.

Right? I mean why would you ever roll up a new character?

Games like WoW are ok in this respect because there are so many classes to roll up and it takes so long to get there. Torchlight 2, though? No respecs is specifically why I am making both a cannon and 2H engineer at this very moment.
I don't see the appeal in rerolling a new character. Fight the same battles in the same places with the same loot available to you? No thanks, I'd rather continue on. If I'm going to go through the same stuff again, it'll be NG+ so there is new loot, and eventually random dungeons and bought maps.

But even with that, your idea doesn't make too much sense to the reasons people are giving for respec. I don't think we're talking about flipping back and forth between play styles at the drop of a hat. I think it's more about making sure that your ignorance doesn't prevent a build from working. So if you have a cannon and a 2H engineer, you will only have one cannon and one 2H engineer, not one or two failures until you learn how to do it correctly.

I really don't care that I'm flagged as a cheater, I'll keep respeccing through the console no matter what.
Straight up. I'm into playing games, not doing chores.

I see on the Torchlight 2 armory site that the
Minecraft reference
wooden sword has a 15% chance to block! The only non-shield item in the game with this ability that they list (unless it's available on prefix/suffixes). That's really interesting to me. I wonder if it's affected by vit or anything else, probably not.

EDIT: What in hell is this? I have got to spawn one of these.

I'm really enjoying this game in single player, they have made changes I really appreciate compared to Torchlight 1. The amount of skills you can learn, more interesting classes, the charge bar, the tier in skills, dogs as pets :D.
Surprisingly I didn't enjoy the multiplayer that much. Had trouble knowing what was happening with 3 players and what my character could do (dmg, utilty etc) was lost or at least hard to notice.
Hope this game can keep my interest all the way through and gives me the desire to make more characters, looking for a game that can hold my interest, Gw2 didn't :( .

Wildesy

Anybody an Engineer using Storm Burst? It says on impact it discharges 3 bolts of energy, but I'm not seeing them when I hit an enemy? Shouldn't they even discharge on the dummy in town?

I don't see the appeal in rerolling a new character. Fight the same battles in the same places with the same loot available to you? No thanks, I'd rather continue on. If I'm going to go through the same stuff again, it'll be NG+ so there is new loot, and eventually random dungeons and bought maps.

in most games I'd agree, however the leveling curve in tl2 is really forgiving and extremely fast, and all of the environments, mobs and loot are randomised to the point where you essentially never see the same thing twice. I've played act 1 around four times in the past week and it's been significantly different every time.

What should I invest in as a Beserker for crowd control? I have most of my points right now invested in Blood Hunger, Shadow Burst, Wolf Shade, and Shred Armor. Then I have a few points in Storm Claw, Executioner, Rampage, Rage Retaliation, Frenzy Mastery and Red Wolf. The only times I can get decent crowd control is summoning my Wolf Shade and using Storm Claw while attacking enemies on the sides of the mobs, or going wild when I have a full charge built.

didamangi

Hmm, I think I turned my engie to a hit and run/kite build.

I'm Fire Bashing all my enemies and kite them all till they're dead while keeping my forcefield up.

I think my ferret and his summon monsters does more damage than my sword/shield :(

Works quite well on veteran though, just beat
the dark alchemist
without taking a potion, just forcefield and healing bot.

Anyone get any Machine Forged set pieces yet? I just got the armor from gambling and oh man do I need to finish this set...

If anyone has any spare parts of it they dont need, please, dont be afraid to let me know :)

Skeyser

Talking of loot from the gambler, oh god I just got this on my lvl 26 or 27 sword & board engineer.

BIBGc.png

Such a massive upgrade from my old claw, not only in DPS but a 10 sec silence and a chance to fully heal when hit is crazy. It should be at over 250 dps if I can get a good enchant on it too.

scy

What should I invest in as a Beserker for crowd control? I have most of my points right now invested in Blood Hunger, Shadow Burst, Wolf Shade, and Shred Armor. Then I have a few points in Storm Claw, Executioner, Rampage, Rage Retaliation, Frenzy Mastery and Red Wolf. The only times I can get decent crowd control is summoning my Wolf Shade and using Storm Claw while attacking enemies on the sides of the mobs, or going wild when I have a full charge built.

They don't really have a Crowd Control but they have an amazing escape in Shadow Burst. Battle Rage, however, is an amazing tanking skill and Battle Standard's Dodge and Knockback Resist is great as well. At best for CC, Permafrost will give a Freeze and Immobilize so there's that, I guess.

They don't really have a Crowd Control but they have an amazing escape in Shadow Burst. Battle Rage, however, is an amazing tanking skill and Battle Standard's Dodge and Knockback Resist is great as well. At best for CC, Permafrost will give a Freeze and Immobilize so there's that, I guess.
Gotcha. Mobs had been what was ruining my experience with them at first. I'd be doing fine, only to have a big mob corner me somewhere that I had trouble Bursting out of or just overwhelm me with numbers to the point where I couldn't keep Bursting away from them for safety. Most of the time I'd end up kiting them off little by little. When I started investing in Shred Armor it helped a lot for my survivability, but it can still takes me a good amount of time to down large mobs if I don't toss out Wolf Shade.

TheExodu5

Banned
I've decided to change my priorities a bit with my Engineer. Instead of wasting a bunch of points on Overload (spent 1 already), Coup de Grade (spent 3), or any other skills that will only help with trash mobs, I've decided to focus purely on boss killing and survivability.

I will focus on weapons similar to my current weapon. Fast weapons will benefit the most from Sword & Board, and what's great is that Supercharge does an AoE cleave, so the downsides to claws are mostly nonexistant.

So, my ideal build...

Active skills:
15/15 Shield Bash
15/15 Ember Reach (for damage taken debuff)
15/15 Healing Bot
15/15 Forcefield

Passive skills:
15/15 Supercharge
15/15 Bulwark
15/15 Sword & Board
15/15 Aegis of Fate
15/15 Charge Reconstitution

That leaves 15 points left over. I've already wasted some (1 Ember Hammer, 3 Coup de Grace, 1 Overload). Not sure what I'll do with the rest...a few utility skills like Onslaught or Storm Burst couldn't hurt.

Actually I have just enough points to go 10/15 Tremor. That's probably worth it more than anything.

Or I could restart my character to gain back those 5 points. ;_;

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
I've decided to change my priorities a bit with my Engineer. Instead of wasting a bunch of points on Overload (spent 1 already), Coup de Grade (spent 3), or any other skills that will only help with trash mobs, I've decided to focus purely on boss killing and survivability.

I will focus on weapons similar to my current weapon. Fast weapons will benefit the most from Sword & Board, and what's great is that Supercharge does an AoE cleave, so the downsides to claws are mostly nonexistant.

So, my ideal build...

Active skills:
15/15 Shield Bash
15/15 Ember Reach (for damage taken debuff)
15/15 Healing Bot
15/15 Forcefield

Passive skills:
15/15 Supercharge
15/15 Bulwark
15/15 Sword & Board
15/15 Aegis of Fate
15/15 Charge Reconstitution

That leaves 15 points left over. I've already wasted some (1 Ember Hammer, 3 Coup de Grace, 1 Overload). Not sure what I'll do with the rest...a few utility skills like Onslaught or Storm Burst couldn't hurt.

Actually I have just enough points to go 10/15 Tremor. That's probably worth it more than anything.

Or I could restart my character to gain back those 5 points. ;_;

The Fame level cap has been discovered to be 33, not 50. You only get 132 or 133 skills points to work with. (I'm not sure if you start at Fame level 0 or 1.)

Dice

What say you, GAF? Will I survive NG+++?

Engineer 2/110/20

If I'm not mistaken, boosting Focus should boost my main attacks, since they are fire-based. I'm also focusing on getting equipment that boosts minion damage (the reason for heavy STR) and the Storm Burst is purely to help escape situations like enemies that drop right down onto you. Coupe de Grace does work with your cannon, right? Otherwise I may put that into Charge Reconstruction.

Dice

Found the answer to my own question.

Blast Cannon uses WeaponDPS so, yeah, it will trigger Coup de Grace. Do keep in mind that stuns don't trigger on bosses and that Coup de Grace has an internal cooldown of one second between activations globally, not per target.
Charge Reconstruction it is!

My build plan: Engineer 1/110/21

Oh, I should also mention that my pet has 3 minion spells and a heal all, and often uses them. The minions seem to be just as strong as she is so I think they share the bonuses for "my" minions. This helps me not rely on robots too much, although if they are both on cooldown, spider mines are pretty awesome.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
Just found some unique shoulders that gives me +1380 Health. I guess that's one way to ease my current squishiness. It's part of a set, but the set bonuses suck, at least for a mage. It also has tentacles on it.

EDIT: And now I've found some unique gloves (different set) that give me +1068 Health. I've increased my health by ~60% in under 30 minutes.

Gvaz

Banned
I'm on normal but I'm ending fights at full health. I feel like I could definately do veteran and not break a sweat, and maybe elite if I was careful.

combat feel super sluggish, is that because casting time is part of the equation? Playing zerker and having skills on the hot bar is slower then tab and right click

Wildesy

Does Charge Reconstruction give you health for each individual charge?

And yep, the jump from Normal to Veteran is huge. And I assume it's the same for Normal as well, but the game ramps up in difficulty quite a bit after the first act.

Top Bottom