• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

KingKong

So I just beat Act 1 and I'm at level 17 or 18, which seems pretty low since the next area is 20+

Now I'm not having any trouble playing on normal, but should I grind a bit or something so I dont end up underleveled later?

bdouble

Just beat act one. OL lvl23. Been playing a mix of online and offline. With a Beserk for the final boss twice. Both times a legendary cannon drop.. Lame. Boss was fun though and enough challenge in vet I died many times the first try then only once on the second.

For my. Build im shooting for the 113 dex. Focusing in on passive dmg (elemental mastery, poison burst and range expertise) 5 points in glaive throw. With a point in vault and After leveling to 21 I finally put one in Blade pact which at 1 is fine for now.

Now its time to experiment with the rest of the skills. Things like a poit in thorns maybe essential. So far for weapons ive had good bows so sticking with that.

Also. Ive had really lame spells. Nothing me or the pet could really use.

Edit: oh yeah. This game is goooooood. Im glad i didnt have a pc that could run diablo 3 and instead just goto jump roght into this. I know d3 will be waiting for me when the expansion hits and well that will be a great first time in game.

MasterShotgun

brazen editing lynx
So I just beat Act 1 and I'm at level 17 or 18, which seems pretty low since the next area is 20+

Now I'm not having any trouble playing on normal, but should I grind a bit or something so I dont end up underleveled later?

You should be fine for now.

Are you wanting your pet to do all the work?

I think any build and class is easy in normal.

Try an outlander with 160 points in poor-scaling dex and 160 points in str and 0 in the others and using the focus-based Glaive Throw as your main attack and being heavily invested in shadowling bats which don't proc from Glaive Throw.

Yeah, my first time, just doing what looked cool. :(

Every boss fight is a potion chugfest, I used to be able to go toe-to-toe with my buffs on but that's not working so well anymore with at-level stuff.

anyone have any ironlord pieces they no longer need? I have pants, helmet, and armor, but I don't want to equip the helmet because i have a really cool unique equipped, but I really want to get to the 10% life steal. If anyone has any of the pieces they wouldn't mind parting with (shoulders, boots, etc) please let me know through pm.

Thanks!

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Any good berserker spec/builds out there? With the limited respec, would like to find a good one
I was thinking maybe this: Berserker 37/30/65

But I'm only lvl28 with him so I don't know how it works out. So far he is utterly amazing. You can boost the execute chance like crazy with the right items and enchantments, and crit frequency is nice but ultimately you're going for whatever makes the charge bar max faster and berserk mode to last longer.

In the meantime, dream about these:
http://torchlight2armory.com/item?i=-991692548255891240
http://torchlight2armory.com/item?i=7893205784779328272
http://torchlight2armory.com/item?i=-3892157663350637270

Every boss fight is a potion chugfest, I used to be able to go toe-to-toe with my buffs on but that's not working so well anymore with at-level stuff.
Outlander needs to use potions so much until lvl28 when you can finally use Stone Pact.

Speaking of Outlanders. Anyone with experience want to give their insights to my Shadow-focused build?

Outlander 34/18/80

alazz

I'm on normal but I'm ending fights at full health. I feel like I could definately do veteran and not break a sweat, and maybe elite if I was careful.

Shield Bash early on is fucking OP. Even with the base 5 in focus I never really ran out of mana. Bashing multiple enemies for more than double the damage I could do with my melee weapon per second...Fantastic crowd control and dps skill early on. At about level 15 it stopped being my go-to DPS when I got a really good sword but I still love it. I've only got 5 points into it and I'm level 19.

Engy is not that hard on Elite. It sure can be frustrating when you get to certain areas, like the Icedeep Caves, but manageable to say the least. I really feel as if I'd have more fun on Veteran because I can see mobs being more of a time sink than anything in NG+ and beyond and I would've been able to learn the classes more quickly on an easier difficulty. But I don't think I'm going to restart. Already done most of Act I a dozen times.

scy

Any good berserker spec/builds out there? With the limited respec, would like to find a good one

Depends on what difficulty you're on, I suppose. I'm doing a rather unorthodox build:

10/76/46

Wand/Shield so most the passives actually don't apply; DW Wand is an option as well, I just figured I'd sacrifice Executioner and opt for a Shield. I'm not sold on Northern Rage yet so those 15 points are probably going to get relocated to something else. Likewise, Wolf Shade is maxed but I'm not sure it's really necessary since the majority of the damage is skill level independent.

...but I may be the only crazy one going for a caster Berserker.

I was thinking maybe this: Berserker 37/30/65

Just to note, Blood Hunger is a buff that heals over time. It's a nice skill, and certainly nice healing to have, but I wouldn't max it. It's not a reliable way to sustain yourself on higher difficulties. Shadow Burst is a better option as you can escape with it and heal up with the distance it creates. I'd definitely opt for Battle Rage as it's Damage Reduction% so it'll help immensely with just wading into groups of enemies (and it's a huge damage buff itself).

Apparently Shield Bash scales with Focus...kind of a downer. =\

I think this applies to a lot of level scaling skills, even ones that deal Physical damage (e.g., Berserker Wolfpack). It's making it rather hard to not just go Focus builds for basically everyone. "Thankfully" most the 2H Engineer options disallow Staff or I'd be contemplating a Staff spec for them too.

alazz

Apparently Shield Bash scales with Focus...kind of a downer. =\

So that's probably why it does a fraction of what it did before despite my shield improving thrice the amount of my previous shield and the tier 1 bonus. Is it something along the lines of
damage = base damage*focus*(shield bash multiplier)(shield armor)
?

Anyone with a flagged character want to investigate how focus scales the damage?

alazz

Oh any thoughts on Charge Reconstitution? It scales with level and according to the skill calculator it recovers 10032 HP over 2s at tier 3.

Dice

Oh, and whats a good STR/DEX/FOC/VIT ratio for a full frost mage? I assume you lean hard to STR/FOC (in equal measure?) and use teleport plus freezing to keep from getting hit? I have no idea what kind of balance is best. I feel like it'd really depend on equipment.

For example this Embermage 0/131/1 looks pretty unbalanced, but if I get killed quickly what's the point in even trying to pretend like I'm taking hits? I suppose you do want to avoid the chance of getting one-shotted, but I'm not sure where that is at. The point of dex in a mage is also confusing since I haven't actually played it yet.

Just to note, Blood Hunger is a buff that heals over time. It's a nice skill, and certainly nice healing to have, but I wouldn't max it. It's not a reliable way to sustain yourself on higher difficulties. Shadow Burst is a better option as you can escape with it and heal up with the distance it creates. I'd definitely opt for Battle Rage as it's Damage Reduction% so it'll help immensely with just wading into groups of enemies (and it's a huge damage buff itself).
I have it so I can berserk without worries. Combining that with Shred Armor (which saps armor) makes me pretty much invincible while I'm going berserk and Shadow Burst (plus Wolf Shade if things get really bad) is for when I'm in a bind. Do you end up needing to flee more often on higher levels? Maybe I'll transfer 5 from Blood Hunger into Shadow Burst.

scy

Oh, and whats a good STR/DEX/FOC/VIT ratio for a full frost mage? I assume you lean hard to STR/FOC (in equal measure?) and use teleport plus freezing to keep from getting hit? I have no idea what kind of balance is best. I feel like it'd really depend on equipment.

You can largely ignore STR and itemize for Crit Damage% rather than raising STR. 53/113 DEX (10% or 20% Crit/Dodge) with the rest in Focus or around 100 in VIT and the rest in Focus. That's arguably the best spread.

As far as a defensive stat is concerned, VIT isn't really that great at it. Especially if you don't use a Shield. The Health per point (3.5) is negligible and the +Armor%/Resist% isn't that big of a deal due to how they function (linear damage reduction).

I have it so I can berserk without worries. Combining that with Shred Armor (which saps armor) makes me pretty much invincible while I'm going berserk and Shadow Burst (plus Wolf Shade if things get really bad) is for when I'm in a bind. Do you end up needing to flee more often on higher levels? Maybe I'll transfer 5 from Blood Hunger into Shadow Burst.

Well, what I mean with Blood Hunger is that it isn't an instant heal. It's a very short duration heal over time that you'll be refreshing as you crit. It's not bad, it's just not actually that good of a heal for being in the middle of fights. Shadow Burst is ultimately better since you're using it to create space which lets it heal you up and you're not taking damage. Granted, this is just from Elite so I don't know if Casual-Veteran will have it really matter.

As for Shred Armor, it's good but you'll eventually reach a point where you will need damage reduction% rather than just Armor for trying to up your survival.

Do any of the Berserker actives proc on-hit effects(life/mana steal in particular)?

Off-hand, I actually want to say only Tier III Frost Breath will proc life/mana steal. Not sure if other on-hit effects apply.

Maxed Shadow Burst can hit 5 enemies and heal 12% of your life for each one and a maxed wolf shade steals life to you for 70% of the damage it does.
I've been using Wolf Shade, but I wasn't planning on putting points into Shadow Burst. I suppose I should given the praise it's getting.

I was mainly asking to see if on-hit enchantments/socketables were worth using, however.

Off-hand, I actually want to say only Tier III Frost Breath will proc life/mana steal. Not sure if other on-hit effects apply.
Balls.

scy

I've been using Wolf Shade, but I wasn't planning on putting points into Shadow Burst. I suppose I should given the praise it's getting.

Shadow Burst is basically the same thing as Blood Hunger. It's just that being an escape tool means that you'll actually give it the time to heal you before an enemy attacks again.

I was mainly asking to see if on-hit enchantments/socketables were worth using, however.

With how Battle Standard works right now, Mana on-hit or Mana Steal is probably not worth it. This will probably be patched, though, since I'm pretty sure getting infinite mana isn't how it's supposed to work :x

Blizzard

Banned
I just tried some Torchlight at level 15 with 5 other people, but either the performance and jankyness are much worse since the patch, or something is crazy. I have pretty much all the performance settings turned down, was getting 15-20 fps, and it was driving me nuts with trying to control my character. You can't hit W to switch the weapon if you're mid attack animation, and if you have a 1.3 second reload weapon, you have to try to get your character to start running (in a crazy fight at 20 fps) before you can change weapons that way, right? Otherwise you can't switch from ranged to melee.

And when TRYING to start running, I would literally click in a wide open area while holding a cannon, and my character would apparently stand still and start autoattacking nearby enemies instead of walking to the far side. I really hope it was lag because it was very frustrating. Also the host let or crashed, and the phase portal event never ended...people had desync'd lights lit, two of us could light torches, but enemies kept spawning, then someone left the portal and enemies stopped but no reward appeared...plus you get no XP for killing enemies in the phase portal.

Sorry to be so complainy. The last time or two I thought it worked better. :(

Oh and one last question, is there any way to build charge with a low-level engineer besides fast attack speed weapons or shield bash? I'm trying to use two-handed hammers and cannons, and it seems to take maybe 15-20 attack to build a single dot of charge...does the left thing count, or only the glowing dot? And if you have a single glowing dot is it supposed to update the tooltip for the force shield? On my game the force shield seems to remain exactly the same at level 15 or so (182 damage) whether I have a glowing charge dot available or not.

To add to the charge woes, 15-20 attacks with high damage weapons might build a single charge dot, but takes like 20 seconds, and charge seems to go away almost immediately, maybe in 5 seconds or so after you leave combat. Maybe charge is just supposed to be for sword or shield engineers. :/

The game must not be as optimized as the first one. Gets choppy on everyone's PC with 6 players and all kinds of skills going on, but I don't know how you would consistently be at 15 fps.

And since Torchlight's story isn't even that important, can someone who's finished the game just tell me what happens to
the Alchemist? Not really keen on having to kill the guy I played as in the first game, plus having a corrupted alchemist doing something crazy is literally exactly the same plot as the first game, so that's kind of stupid.

Blizzard

Banned
The game must not be as optimized as the first one. Gets choppy on everyone's PC with 6 players and all kinds of skills going on, but I don't know how you would consistently be at 15 fps.
It's not consistently, sometimes it would be 30-45 fps, but in a dungeon or with lots of enemies it would go to 15-20 fps. It may be my computer but I thought I saw at least one of the other players also mention it.

scy

Oh and one last question, is there any way to build charge with a low-level engineer besides fast attack speed weapons or shield bash? I'm trying to use two-handed hammers and cannons, and it seems to take maybe 15-20 attack to build a single dot of charge...does the left thing count, or only the glowing dot? And if you have a single glowing dot is it supposed to update the tooltip for the force shield? On my game the force shield seems to remain exactly the same at level 15 or so (182 damage) whether I have a glowing charge dot available or not.

To add to the charge woes, 15-20 attacks with high damage weapons might build a single charge dot, but takes like 20 seconds, and charge seems to go away almost immediately, maybe in 5 seconds or so after you leave combat. Maybe charge is just supposed to be for sword or shield engineers. :/

Supercharge helps. Dynamo (Level 21) is an AoE that gives you Charge for targets hit. Honestly, building Charge for a 2H Engineer didn't seem all that bad. Tooltips do not update, though the buff you get from Forcefield itself will.

Also, 15-20 attacks? I'm pretty sure I get one in around 3 or 4.

Dice

Hmmm, I'm actually gonna revamp my berserker plan: Berserker 27/25/80

After experiencing some later-game play I know how important breaking shields can be. No point in having two weak dash moves. Also considered some possible diminishing returns on others to get the shade up, since the summon time bonus (which makes it perpetual if I have the mana) and 70% return is very nice.

You can largely ignore STR and itemize for Crit Damage% rather than raising STR. 53/113 DEX (10% or 20% Crit/Dodge) with the rest in Focus or around 100 in VIT and the rest in Focus. That's arguably the best spread.

As far as a defensive stat is concerned, VIT isn't really that great at it. Especially if you don't use a Shield. The Health per point (3.5) is negligible and the +Armor%/Resist% isn't that big of a deal due to how they function (linear damage reduction).
Cool, thanks. Embermage 0/131/1

mrpeabody

Just finished the King of Masks fight. Wow. The best ARPG encounter I've seen in a long time.

I played a lot of Diablo 3 and it's a good game, but Torchlight is just more fun. The loot is more interesting, the combat is faster, and the story doesn't get in the way of the gameplay.

commissar

Finished it earlier today.
Normal was really easy. Still had fun, but I think I would have enjoyed it more on Veteran.

It's a pity New Game+ doesn't allow for a difficulty change :/

Fugu

Normal was really easy. Still had fun, but I think I would have enjoyed it more on Veteran.

Start a LAN/Internet game and play by yourself. There's a difficulty toggle there.

Dice

Just realized that Embermage has a charge mastery passive, but I also just realized I'll be playing with wands, not staves. Booyah.

Izayoi

Banned
Holy shit, Act 3 is such a breath of fresh air. The game is downright gorgeous in places, the particles in particular are fantastic.

Also, the Outlander is friggin squishy. I'll randomly just fall over and not know why. Kind of frustrating at times. At least I'm not playing hardcore, I suppose.

If you don't mind using the console, you can change your difficulty. Otherwise, you have to make an online or lan game in order to play on a different difficulty.

Does Magic Find (probably unintentionally) affect fishing?

I've been fishing quite a bit, but I'd only caught one Giant near the beginning of Act 1 and one around the middle of Act 2. Now all of a sudden I've caught four Giants in one short fishing session, and the only difference is that I've put on ~10% of MF gear.

FtHTiny

Holy shit, Act 3 is such a breath of fresh air. The game is downright gorgeous in places, the particles in particular are fantastic.

Also, the Outlander is friggin squishy. I'll randomly just fall over and not know why. Kind of frustrating at times. At least I'm not playing hardcore, I suppose.

The one-shotting gets worse the more you go on. I basically had to equip a shield on my mage with 120+ vit to not rage to much.

Csokis

First Unique Set item!

uniraretyl1d.jpg

I'm playing outlander and my glaive thing is doing critical damage all over the place, over 2000 in some cases (I'm level 48). I'm duel wielding and i only get 300-500 dmg + critical. I also find shotguns are useless unless they fire quickly (<1s) and have substantial knockback. If you're just starting out, don't pick outlander, it's a bit of a grind (on Veteran, at least).

scy

Just realized that Embermage has a charge mastery passive, but I also just realized I'll be playing with wands, not staves. Booyah.

Personally, I don't like Charge Mastery. There's a lot of Charge itemization so it's not a skill to max. A few points will be more than enough.

Also, Staff Mastery scales better than Wand Mastery, though the chaos procs on Wand Mastery are so much fun. Icy Blast is also probably the best spell to proc Staff Mastery since you can point-blank shotgun uniques/bosses to apply 5/7 stacks in a single cast. It's also why Staff Mastery doesn't really need too many points; 5/15 will hit -98% Resists with a 7-shot Icy Blast, for instance.

I'm playing outlander and my glaive thing is doing critical damage all over the place, over 2000 in some cases (I'm level 48). I'm duel wielding and i only get 300-500 dmg + critical. I also find shotguns are useless unless they fire quickly (<1s) and have substantial knockback. If you're just starting out, don't pick outlander, it's a bit of a grind (on Veteran, at least).

Glaive Throw is one of the best skills in the game :x It's a Focus scaling skill, not a weapon scaling one, so it seems strange. Honestly, Glaive Throw Outlander has one of the easiest starts on Elite.

RS4-

Been dual wielding these two legendary axes: http://torchlight2armory.com/item?i=-1548103899003591749 haven't really found anything worth switching over to and I'm around level 80 or some garbage like that.

The stun and crit chance is nice.

Build: http://torchlight2armory.com/skill-calc?i=1#wZslIKkC7ZCY438S4dwBpevHLn3_u6_gbL2Oy95c6r

I have something like this, give or take. Didn't bother to respec since I'd have to click endlessly to pour points back into the tree, but if I did, I'd remove Eviscerate. Didn't really like it at the start and its just not used when you have Wolf Pack + Battle Standard. Hmm, looks like the Standard tooltip on the armory reflects the in game bonuses (while the in game tool tip doesn't show the actual mana recharge).

Flim Flam

Neo Member
Im thinking about training my zerker after this fashion: 26/51/33. I know I didn't use all the allotted points, I figure I would leave some wiggle room for tweaking at the later levels.

Im thinking I will focus primarily on +Ice dmg weapons and sockets and anything eq that will boost my crit% chance. Going to go with a DEX/FOC primary.

Any suggestions?

Dice

Personally, I don't like Charge Mastery. There's a lot of Charge itemization so it's not a skill to max. A few points will be more than enough.
Yeah... I'm at level 15 and already have it at 5 which provides 30% decay slowing and 20% charge boost. It's happening pretty often so yeah I don't think I'll be needing more since I'm still on the most basic equipment. Even aside from stuff that makes it go faster directly, landing more crits and doing more damage will make it go faster anyway.

Also, as someone said, at high level it shouldn't even really be needed since your mana will be plentiful and recharging so much that you're just using spells all the time. This free casting ability seems better designed for lower level play. Perhaps they should set it to also have some different or of benefit, like a shield or something.

Also, Staff Mastery scales better than Wand Mastery, though the chaos procs on Wand Mastery are so much fun. Icy Blast is also probably the best spell to proc Staff Mastery since you can point-blank shotgun uniques/bosses to apply 5/7 stacks in a single cast. It's also why Staff Mastery doesn't really need too many points; 5/15 will hit -98% Resists with a 7-shot Icy Blast, for instance.
Say whaaaaat? I thought you had to physically smack them with the staff to get the benefit. This changes everything! (especially since I have 5 unique staves from lvl16 to 40 from my other games that I passed down to this) I think I'll still keep a nice wand & shield backup for rough times, though.

And speaking of rough times, and especially in late-game. I'm thinking I don't need to put more into Frost Phase. I will never use it as a weapon, and I realized that its level has nothing to do with travel distance, so it's better to keep the mana cost down by not leveling it. Then those levels can go to elemental boon which will help in high level play since it's percentage based.

But now with all these levels saved between Frost Phase and Charge Mastery, I could max out Elemental Boon as well as Frost Wave. Yet... would it be better to take Frost Wave to 15, or should I leave it at 10 so I can put Staff Mastery at 10? As you said, Icy Blast is the one to use, so a 10% increase over 7 bolts is 70%. However, the jump from 3 to 5 frost waves could be very helpful with crowd control. Hmmm...

Been dual wielding these two legendary axes: http://torchlight2armory.com/item?i=...03899003591749 haven't really found anything worth switching over to and I'm around level 80 or some garbage like that.
http://torchlight2armory.com/set?i=BERSERKER_U75

-_^

desverger

Could someone offer a little insight into speccing my low level Engineer?

I currently have about 6 skillpoints waiting to be spent, and I'm unsure where to put them. My current build is a pure 2h str build, with 5 points in the three passives in blitz, healing bot and forcefield. I also have 1 point in Seismic Slam, to proc some stuns for Coup de Grace.

It's mostly an autoattack build, using charges for forcefield (which is fantastic) and healing bot which gives me a little mana and health when the shield is down.

Any recommendations where I should drop the points?

Personally I've been thinking of just upping the passives, or getting either Charge Domination or Ember Hammer.. I'm really unsure about EH, I spent a point in earlier and respecced it quickly, since it kinda feels I don't really *need* it because I'm doing so much damage with my regular attack, due to the passives..

Then again, I don't have any other charge spenders except forcefield, and EH already gets a damage boost from charges at 5 points.

Could someone offer a little insight into speccing my low level Engineer?

I currently have about 6 skillpoints waiting to be spent, and I'm unsure where to put them. My current build is a pure 2h str build, with 5 points in the three passives in blitz, healing bot and forcefield. I also have 1 point in Seismic Slam, to proc some stuns for Coup de Grace.

It's mostly an autoattack build, using charges for forcefield (which is fantastic) and healing bot which gives me a little mana and health when the shield is down.

Any recommendations where I should drop the points?

Personally I've been thinking of just upping the passives, or getting either Charge Domination or Ember Hammer.. I'm really unsure about EH, I spent a point in earlier and respecced it quickly, since it kinda feels I don't really *need* it because I'm doing so much damage with my regular attack, due to the passives..

Then again, I don't have any other charge spenders except forcefield, and EH already gets a damage boost from charges at 5 points.

If you can bear the wait?

Max out Fire and Spark and Emberquake when it's available. Supposed to be a devastating build but you have to wait so long to take advantage of it...but you're already going in the right direction!

For now, max Heavy Lifting, Supercharge, Healing Bot, Forcefield. Put a point into both of the charge passives but don't go further until you're sure you need either of them. Do not invest in Aegis of Fate, it is at odds with Forcefield (can't proc when it's up). Do not invest in Overload either, since it is also at odds with Forcefield, they both use up all your charges and it will take most of your charge to keep the FF up all the time. Normally people use Flame Hammer because it only eats one charge at a time, but if you can bear living without a skill to spam for 30 more levels, Emberquake is optimal.

Drop a point in the copter when available, I hear it lasts forever like the healbot and is just a fun guy to have along. 5 points in Onslaught is also recommended and no more, that will be how you charge your Forcefield.

Top Bottom