• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight II |OT| Good things come to those who wait

I want to start playing this again but I'm always running out of money for potions and it was kind of frustrating. Is there a value or something (or some mod) I can change so that mobs drop more cash?

I want to start playing this again but I'm always running out of money for potions and it was kind of frustrating. Is there a value or something (or some mod) I can change so that mobs drop more cash?

There are a lot of mods over on the Runic forums.

For most of them you just dump the files into the PAK (or was it PAKS?) folder, IIRC.

Has there been any updates or news on the timeframe of the Mac version since launch?

I reached out on Twitter at launch, and I think they just gave a general answer of down the line.

spirity

Hello everybody - an update on the Editor.

So what are we doing?

Well first off we have the editor making mods. We can share them locally and play them multiplayer. One of the major hang-ups we are attempting to fix is making the game not crash terribly when you uninstall a mod. So far things are looking great. For instance if you play a character that received specific quests, items, effects, monsters or levels from a specific mod the UI will tell you what will be deleted if you continue without the mod installed. You can also deactivate specific mods per character. We also have the notion of required mods. Required mods would be mods that create specific classes or pet. If you don't have that specific mod installed that character just won't be playable. Also the game has the concept of mods installed and mods active. You can have 200 mods installed but only 3 active. If you specify a character that requires a mod to be active and it currently isn't the game will automatically activate it and you can continue playing with that character. If you select a character that had a bunch of none-required mods active last time played the game will attempt to activate them unless you tell it( the game ) not to by a simple UI check list.

Oh and yes any character that was ever played with a mod will be flagged.

We are still going through the editor and making all sorts of fixes for when things are modified via mods. We are attempting to make the editor a little nicer for modder's. For instance all you to do is select the mod your working on and any changes you make or new monsters; rooms; levels; dungeons - anything - will automatically be saved for that mod. The editor will show you a tree view of all the changed files too. It's much nicer than what we had for TL1.

Release date - I would hate to give specifics but we are also trying to get all the translations out as well as some small expansion packs for the holidays. Read into that as you like. I can say that I feel the mod system we have in place is pretty slick and intuitive - can't wait for you guys to try it out.

ALSO - we have everybody in the office creating tutorials. So we already have a bunch of how-to's and we are making more all the time.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=46369&p=421925#p421925

cat.gif

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
so why is the balance between classes pretty shit in this game. im playing the embermage and thinking why should i anymore when most of the skills i get do shit all dmage. i feel no need to play multiplayer either when they scale down your dmg based on how many players your with

Ysiadmihi

Banned
so why is the balance between classes pretty shit in this game. im playing the embermage and thinking why should i anymore when most of the skills i get do shit all dmage. i feel no need to play multiplayer either when they scale down your dmg based on how many players your with

I have an Embermage at level 70 or so and do plenty of damage. Sounds like you need to get +dmg gear for whichever element you're focusing on.

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
I have an Embermage at level 70 or so and do plenty of damage. Sounds like you need to get +dmg gear for whichever element you're focusing on.

maybe but i still hate how they nerf your damage for being in multiplayer

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Four pack is $29.99 on Steam right now, so I have to pick it up. My gaming rig died a couple of months ago and hasn't been replaced, but Torchlight II system requirements are so low I can even play it on my Netbook (tested out the demo just to be safe).

Lombax

Banned
Naughtron_Lvl30.jpg

I picked up Torchlight II during the steam sale this week. I have been sick as a dog over the past two days so the game has been a good distraction.
I am shocked at how much more I enjoy this game over Diablo III, and it only cost $10.00!

VandalD

steam updated with a 293MB patch for Torchlight 2 today. wonder what fixes it got.
Only the best fixes.

Released: November 30, 2012

Translations

Cleaned up Polish language translations.
Cleaned up Russian language translations.
Fixed issues with font clipping.

Naughtron_Lvl30.jpg

I picked up Torchlight II during the steam sale this week. I have been sick as a dog over the past two days so the game has been a good distraction.
I am shocked at how much more I enjoy this game over Diablo III, and it only cost $10.00!

Yeah, it is a great game. I've finished it twice now. I might go back at some point and try a mage.

Not sure where to post and thought I'd try here.

I got Torchlight 2 last week and am enjoying it. I'm having major issues playing Torchlight 2 online though. I was just playing with a friend and got desynced at least 10 times. Enemies just stand there without moving and leaving the area will often cause the game to freeze. The performance of the game seems fine and I have no problem playing it offline -- any ideas on things I can do, or am I just screwed?

SteveWD40

Wasn't this supposed to use Steam workshop when the editor finally hits? Would love to see the same kind of ease of modding that Skyrim has.

Nymerio

Wasn't the editor supposed to be released by the end of the year? I'm really looking forward to getting some mods installed. And Steam Workshop would be amazing.

VandalD

Wasn't this supposed to use Steamworks when the editor finally hits? Would love to see the same kind of ease of modding that Skyrim has.
Supposedly going to use Steamworks, yeah. Not sure why the editor is taking so long. Maybe they're tooling around with how your characters are tagged by using them. Some people want to make purely UI mods, but that would of course tag your character as modded. Could be they were trying to work that out so you could be a vanilla character but still have UI mods. Or not. They look forward to releasing the editor soon.

ElyrionX

Asked this in the Steam sales thread a minute ago but it's probably better posted here:

I loved Diablo 3 and it's my GOTY. But I played that with friends. Will I like Torchlight 2 if it's going to be a solo experience for me?

Perkel

Banned
Played Torchlite 2 for few hours and i can safely say it is better Diablo 3 though i have few problems with it:

---- UI is fucking terrible. Like worst i have ever seen for arpg. It looks like it was designed with consoles in mind, too big, too colorful. Scaling doesn't help.
- Artstyle doesn't resonate with me. I get it that it is colorful game but certain abilities feel like pew-pew without weight, underground tomb look like orange painted hall. But it is mostly subjective not objective.
- Story from start is uninspiring and characters are simply bland. It feel like MMORPG where you don't care about what characters say and you just go smash people with hammer. UI for character talk does not help at all. Reading it is painful with that UI.
----- Weapon scaled skill damage. I didn't yet played even 5 hours so it may be to early but that mechanic is like red flag to me that later fun can be to dependent on gear. I may be wrong though.
- Character classes feel somewhat the same. I don't know how to describe it but i don't really feel like i play distinct class.
- maybe i am dumb but i can't switch off constant item showing without alt. It is driving me nuts.

Those were concerns what i have after 4+ hours.

What i like/love:

+++++++++++++++++ FUCKING MUSIC. Blizzard shot themselfs in leg not hiring this genius. Where Diablo 3 music is just terrible, PoE good T2 music is just simply mindblowing.

+ Clean look of game. This may sound stupid because art doesn't really get to me in this game but this is what i feel. I really can't find a game which is close to how clean looking this game is. I play it 1920x1080 with aa @ 60fps and this game sometimes feel like bullshot video from developers. Diablo 3 had comparable art design but it wasn't even near this clean looking.
++++++++ elite mob design. In first 2 hours i met mob which constantly teleported all over place with his minions doing it same as master mob. Something like this was unexpected. Boss design also i fun from lvl1. They aren't just hitboxes to spam skill they move and do something
++++++ itemization. It is not PoE but it is notch better than D2 at lower levels with weapon/armor slots being very good idea from low level. str/dex/foc OR character level is fantastic idea for gear req. Set items like abilities on certain magic items is another idea which i love and it is clear that this should be included in all arpg games as standard.
+++ Amount of loot. for such a short time i found a good amount of different looking loot. And it is even better because most of those loot looks 1:1 same on your character giving player fun with customization
++ Level design. I don't know if it is randomly generated (i don't think so) but it was very fun to sidetrack once or two from my main quest into different part of maps. Such refreshing moments after linear D3. I don't know how this will hold up with ng+ but right now it is fun.
Levels do not look like endless/pointless mass of corridors like in D3.
+++ mini events everywhere. This is also refreshing after D3 and PoE. One after another i see those mini traps/spawns which by mostly i am surprised in comparison to predictable D3 traps.

Generaly after ~5 hours i like it. I'm not in love yet like i was in PoE in first few hours but i see how this game can evolve from starting gear and skills. If it wasn't for PoE i would be totaly in love in T2 right now as D2 lover but frankly PoE changed so much in arpg gengre that it feels weird playing arpg without passive skill tree, materia or poe potion system. Though it is just 5 hours it can change a lot if i will play it more.

It is totaly oposite of D3 where after buying it blindly i almost instantly hated it even before act 1 ended. I hope game will get better with h spent introducing new mechanics and better loot variation.

Ricker

Okay let me get this straight...if I talk to the lady in Minehead after beating the game,she resets the adventure(kind of a NG +) and all ennemies are level 51,still on normal but I cannot make another class to play the game from scratch?...can I try another class and keep my level 52 Berserker's save as well.?

Joonytoon

Okay let me get this straight...if I talk to the lady in Minehead after beating the game,she resets the adventure(kind of a NG +) and all ennemies are level 51,still on normal but I cannot make another class to play the game from scratch?...can I try another class and keep my level 52 Berserker's save as well.?

Just click "new game" beside of "resume" at the start screen. Use load to pick from other saved characters.

AEREC

So just got done powering through Torchlight 1 so I could play Torchlight 2 (I know theres very little story elements to the game to warrant a play-through of the first...but Im a little OCD when it comes to playing sequels).

I played T1 on Hard and found it to be a decent challenge...Im wondering if I should play T2 on Very Hard? I don't like the idea of developing a character and being locked into a difficulty (much prefer Diablo's method of unlocking difficulties).

Miletius

So just got done powering through Torchlight 1 so I could play Torchlight 2 (I know theres very little story elements to the game to warrant a play-through of the first...but Im a little OCD when it comes to playing sequels).

I played T1 on Hard and found it to be a decent challenge...Im wondering if I should play T2 on Very Hard? I don't like the idea of developing a character and being locked into a difficulty (much prefer Diablo's method of unlocking difficulties).

I recommend veteran difficulty for TL2 unless you really want to min-max (and research it beforehand). It does make the game easier, perhaps a bit too easy in some places, but Elite (which is the highest difficulty) is completely ridiculous unless you are prepared to play a specific way.

AEREC

I recommend veteran difficulty for TL2 unless you really want to min-max (and research it beforehand). It does make the game easier, perhaps a bit too easy in some places, but Elite (which is the highest difficulty) is completely ridiculous unless you are prepared to play a specific way.

Cool thanks...went with veteran since I did not want to really research the best classes and just wanted to feel the game out for my first play through.

Can anyone give me some tips on Berserker? I can't decide if Frenzy Mastery is worth it or not, increasing Frenzy duration seems good on paper, but pumping points in a skill that you only see a benefit from only sometimes in combat makes me hesitant to go for it.

What kind of stat point spread should I be looking at? (playing Veteran mode)

And I tried playing LAN (and internet) with 2 of my buddies last night and we constantly kept getting unsynced in our game...what gives?

AEREC

Thinking about restarting in Elite mode...it's not that Veteran is too easy, it actually feels ok 15 levels in, but I hate the idea of being locked in a certain difficulty mode and not being able to truly test out my character build in the hardest mode the game offers.

If they let you move up a difficulty upon completion of the game, this wouldn't be an issue. Aside from this and the archaic potion chugging system...I am loving this game.

spirity

Thinking about restarting in Elite mode...it's not that Veteran is too easy, it actually feels ok 15 levels in, but I hate the idea of being locked in a certain difficulty mode and not being able to truly test out my character build in the hardest mode the game offers.

If they let you move up a difficulty upon completion of the game, this wouldn't be an issue. Aside from this and the archaic potion chugging system...I am loving this game.

I don't know if its possible to do so now (it could have been patched out, not sure), but you used to be able to create a lan game with yourself and there was an option in the menu to change the difficulty. It wouldn't permanently change it however - if you wanted to play online with friends your difficulty would go back to how it was when you first created your character. But as long as you create a lan game, you can choose whatever difficulty you want.

AEREC

I don't know if its possible to do so now (it could have been patched out, not sure), but you used to be able to create a lan game with yourself and there was an option in the menu to change the difficulty. It wouldn't permanently change it however - if you wanted to play online with friends your difficulty would go back to how it was when you first created your character. But as long as you create a lan game, you can choose whatever difficulty you want.

Cool thanks...does playing in LAN mode affect single player location?

Celegus

How are berserkers considered compared to the other classes? I just got to Act 3 with my Dual Wielding Berserker and get killed pretty much instantly by everything. A lot of my equipment is crappy since I haven't found any better, but he just seems too squishy for my tastes. The only way I can stay alive for any length of time is to keep spamming the healing wolf charge, which isn't very fun.

I might switch to another class with more variety, sincce berserker has been pretty boring so far. Not that I really feel like playing through Act 1 and 2 again though...

Deciding between this and Sacred Gold. Anyone who's played both have an opinion?
Sacred Gold felt rather janky and dated, but I loved the sense of exploration and adventure that you can't find in most games. There's horseriding! TL2 is a much more standard hack and slash game with smooth modern functionality, but it's kinda repetitive and the loot loses a lot of its luster when you realize that all of the orange items have hardcoded stats.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sacred Gold felt rather janky and dated, but I loved the sense of exploration and adventure that you can't find in most games. There's horseriding! TL2 is a much more standard hack and slash game with smooth modern functionality, but it's kinda repetitive and the loot loses a lot of its luster when you realize that all of the orange items have hardcoded stats.

Thanks! I've played Sacred 2, but it was a LONG time ago. I remember being crazy impressed with the sense of exploration, but I don't remember how well the looting held up.

ZZMitch

Holy shit the Arena of Slaughter in Act 3 may have been the most frustrating gaming experience in recent memory for me. I am playing on veteran with an embermage and this one area brought me from 17,000 gold to under 2,000 from all the respawns I had to do (respawning to town made the event there start over).

I would literally enter the room, have time to cast one spell and than get killed instantly. If I managed to escape the mosh pit in the center (one third of the time give or take) I would be able to cast a few more spells before I was forced into a corner and killed.

Maybe I should have played this game on normal, veteran is just frustrating to me at this point because so many things kill my embermage so quickly.

Celegus

Holy shit the Arena of Slaughter in Act 3 may have been the most frustrating gaming experience in recent memory for me. I am playing on veteran with an embermage and this one area brought me from 17,000 gold to under 2,000 from all the respawns I had to do (respawning to town made the event there start over).

I would literally enter the room, have time to cast one spell and than get killed instantly. If I managed to escape the mosh pit in the center (one third of the time give or take) I would be able to cast a few more spells before I was forced into a corner and killed.

Maybe I should have played this game on normal, veteran is just frustrating to me at this point because so many things kill my embermage so quickly.

That's been my main issue with TL2 as well... you just die so quickly. I haven't even gotten to that part yet and now I'm really dreading it. I often feel like I'm watching my health globe more than my character because it can go from full to empty so fast. I gave up on my berserker and I'm trying an embermage now so that I can at least try to kite or avoid taking damage. Dying wouldn't be as annoying if the load times weren't so slow, but... yeah. Playing this game just makes me want to play Diablo more, but I at least want to finish it.

Clydefrog

Huh, I must have gotten lucky on this part with my engineer. I am playing veteran and just beat the arena of slaughter last night without dying. Although I do *love* my unique ice cannon! I just ran around with my forcefield always on, blasting away. The final round took some time, but everything eventually died. The damn trolls in Act 3 are what have killed me the most. I swear they have instant kill or something.

ZZMitch

Huh, I must have gotten lucky on this part with my engineer. I am playing veteran and just beat the arena of slaughter last night without dying. Although I do *love* my unique ice cannon! I just ran around with my forcefield always on, blasting away. The final round took some time, but everything eventually died. The damn trolls in Act 3 are what have killed me the most. I swear they have instant kill or something.

They have one attack (the one where they swing it over their head) that insta-kills me. I really like the game, but I guess I just overestimated my abilities heh.

Top Bottom