• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

tomedo said:
Number 3 now in Steam top sellers.
that's awesome. also, number 1 on gamersgate. but they don't do anywhere the same numbers of course.

DieH@rd said:
tell me about this avatar
mvq8uh.gif

Joseph Merrick said:
tell me about this avatar
mvq8uh.gif
From the new Stargate series called "Universe". Two guys are "testing" a orb-shaped flying camera in the corridors of the spaceship.
Something happens and people come out of their rooms. This women just happens to have her room in the area they were testing the camera. Riiiight =P

Shawsie64

Banned
This game is fuck awesome! :D

So iv been playing the demo (would have bought outright but pay day isnt till tomorrow) I can just unlock the full game tomorrow yeah?

markot

Banned
I cant find a monster for a quest >_<

Also, I was doing the mine as a higher level, and this portal monster came up and a portal opened up and portaled me to a room full of treasure and monsters!

Tenkai Star said:
From the new Stargate series called "Universe". Two guys are "testing" a orb-shaped flying camera in the corridors of the spaceship.
Something happens and people come out of their rooms. This women just happens to have her room in the area they were testing the camera. Riiiight =P
haha. sounds good

V_Arnold

Teknopathetic said:
There were permanent change fish in Fate, so I'd assume they came over to Torchlight as well. You won't see any until the later parts of the game, if I had to guess.

I have seen a permanent change to Dog fish at the general goods vendor last night.

Fjolle

V_Arnold said:
I have seen a permanent change to Dog fish at the general goods vendor last night.
That is to change between cat and dog. I havent seen anything else.

In other news it looks like steam users can't use the console, so no respec for us (they are looking into it today though)

Also it looks like you can use the console to do a lot of funny stuff, but you will be branded a cheater (and won't be able to level up your reputation anymore).

Teknopathetic said:
The level cap is 100. The Fame cap is 55, IIRC. You get 1 skill point per level and fame level.

Sweet. I thought I got those extra points from certain quests or something. Good to know.

mileS

Defcon said:
I'm floored at how great the game looks considering it doesn't use any shaders. I have it maxed out detail and res for my monitor (1280x1024) with AA on a 5 year old computer and it runs flawlessly so those with netbooks or lesser systems should be good to go.

Going to play through the game as a Vanquisher first on Hard difficulty. I'll complete it before I gush too much but first impressions lead me to believe it's an AAA game that's amazingly only $20.

Yea same here. I downloaded the demo expecting it to be something I would have to bump the graphics down to crap just to get it to run decently but I was blown away.

I have tons of new games to play and buy in the next month but I can see this as something I'll end up constantly going back to for a while. Going to buy the full version as soon as I get home from work tomorrow.

I'm still undecided on which class to play on my first run (Very Hard).

Started with a Destroyer (lvl5), then went with a summon Alchemist (lvl 10).
Found summoning boring and not that great on Very Hard, so I tried Vanquisher (lvl 6).

Finally went back to Destroyer, but started him up because of bad skill choices.

I doubt skills were balanced for Very Hard, but the game seems more fun at that difficulty.

Also, if you're using STEAM, seems you can't change stuff in the config files like adding console command. It just resets, and also disables shared stash.

Shinjitsu

Banned
theMrCravens said:
I'm still undecided on which class to play on my first run (Very Hard).

Started with a Destroyer (lvl5), then went with a summon Alchemist (lvl 10).
Found summoning boring and not that great on Very Hard, so I tried Vanquisher (lvl 6).

Finally went back to Destroyer, but started him up because of bad skill choices.

I doubt skills were balanced for Very Hard, but the game seems more fun at that difficulty.

Also, if you're using STEAM, seems you can't change stuff in the config files like adding console command. It just resets, and also disables shared stash.

I can't enable the console in the steam version, but it does save options like vsync in the config. Also, the shared stash is working just fine for me.

Mihku

Few hours in now, still really cool. Strange thing happened though, I got the same unique item drop twice. State are exactly the same, and I was even wearing the first one when it dropped again.

Normal is way too easy, still haven't died once. My chick is way overpowered, I'm outleveling the dungeons way too fast, I got a unique rifle which is super powerful and now I got a skill to shoot exploding shots (melts huge packs like it's nothing). Definitely starting on Hard or Very Hard on my next char.

epmode

dolgrimm said:
so, is there a respec option?^^
If you have the Console enabled in your settings file, press Shift + ` (The Tilde key)

Then type "item RespecPotion". This is one of few commands in the game's console that won't brand you a cheater.
If you have the Steam version, you won't be able to open the in-game console until the game is patched.

AwRy108

Flib said:
bought this drunkenly on a whim last night after watching the quick lok

and holy fuck, it's the best of these games since diablo, easily. i'm already horrendously addicted. pretty much no complaints at this point, other than wanting more classes.

This.

Thank you, Gaf, for pointing this game out to me. Once again, you have helped me take notice of a game that would have completely flown under my radar. I've only got the demo right now, but you can bet I'll be purchasing a copy once I have a bit of money.

RPGCrazied

love the game, but after like 20mins of play I lose sound effects.. not music.

I can only fix it if i restart game, but the problem comes back

Almak

Man I should not have started this on normal! I rarely come across an enemy I can not kill in 2 hits with my destroyer.
Having a lot of fun otherwise. Music, especially in town is so reminiscent of Diablo 1 (for good reason obviously) but I just cant get over how good it is.
A question tough. Stats so far seem very rudimentary but for me as a destroyer who is going to spec mainly in close combat offence, should I invest in anything other than strength/defence? I mean in any significant way.

Doytch

Almak said:
Man I should not have started this on normal! I rarely come across an enemy I can not kill in 2 hits with my destroyer.
Having a lot of fun otherwise. Music, especially in town is so reminiscent of Diablo 1 (for good reason obviously) but I just cant get over how good it is.
A question tough. Stats so far seem very rudimentary but for me as a destroyer who is going to spec mainly in close combat offence, should I invest in anything other than strength/defence? I mean in any significant way.
I haven't been. I mentioned I'm doing ~ 3.5:1.5 on str:def, but I read the manual this morning and it says that it could be useful to throw some points into Magic in the teen levels if you want to cast heals or some spells.

Also said not to bother putting points in to non-critical stats just to wear a certain item unless it's wicked awesome and you'd only need like one point.

thaOwner

Mihku said:
Few hours in now, still really cool. Strange thing happened though, I got the same unique item drop twice. State are exactly the same, and I was even wearing the first one when it dropped again.

Normal is way too easy, still haven't died once. My chick is way overpowered, I'm outleveling the dungeons way too fast, I got a unique rifle which is super powerful and now I got a skill to shoot exploding shots (melts huge packs like it's nothing). Definitely starting on Hard or Very Hard on my next char.
Yeah, you should have started on hard. That's what I did based on some impressions I read from this thread before getting the game and I gotta say, the game's difficulty feels just right.

Almak said:
Don't think there's any reason to, aside from dexterity for some armors. But, I'm not that far, so I can't say definitively.

No45

This game had completely passed me by until I noticed the Giantbomb quick look the other day. I've been having no joy getting the D2 multires mod working, so I'm downloading the demo of this right now.

Seires

Was looking into this game a while ago, it didn't have co-op then, so I stopped looking. I see no mention of it in the little blurb on gamersgate :(

Anyone know if that has changed or there are plans to add it?

What's a dungeon crawl/loot farm without a buddy, ya know.

epmode

Seires said:
Was looking into this game a while ago, it didn't have co-op then, so I stopped looking. I see no mention of it in the little blurb on gamersgate :(

From what I understand, Torchlight is actually going to be a full free-play MMO in another year or two. The single-player version was whipped together way ahead of time just to get something out the door.

So no, you won't be playing a co-op version for another ~year.

music is done by the same composer who did the original diablo (and diablo ii as well), as i recall. goty material fo' sho.

anyone know when the mac os x version is due?

Seires

epmode said:
From what I understand, Torchlight is actually going to be a full free-play MMO in another year or two. The single-player version was whipped together way ahead of time just to get something out the door.

So no, you won't be playing a co-op version for another ~year.

*shrug* That's good enogh for me. I'll toss in my $20 to support it :D

Drinky Crow said:
music is done by the same composer who did the original diablo (and diablo ii as well), as i recall. goty material fo' sho.

anyone know when the mac os x version is due?
Bring it up on the next Borecast? It's certainly my goty, so far. Best game that I've played in years. It's pretty absurd.

Just downed the fifth boss, I believe. I think I'm a decent chunk past half way now.

LOOT~!

mkixif.jpg

1r65fk.jpg

That one's named after the Mythos Community Manager, for all you mythos fans.

"music is done by the same composer who did the original diablo (and diablo ii as well), as i recall. goty material fo' sho.

anyone know when the mac os x version is due?"

Sometime early next year.

thaOwner

Seires said:

What's a dungeon crawl/loot farm without a buddy, ya know.
As of right now, its sole an excellent single player dungeon crawler but the Giantbomb guys did say something along the lines of the developers making it into a co-op/mmo (not sure which one exactl) in the future.

e: beat
ed

Tek, what level is your character ?

No45

I've never really played one of these games properly, would I be best starting on Normal? Seen lots of talk of how Normal is too easy, so do you think Hard would be too much for a novice of this type of game?

54-46!

Is there any loot that drops in Very hard that doesn't drop in Hard? both in Hardcore. Was thinkin about maybe creating a character on Hard and give him my loot instead of playing on Very hard.. I don't want to loose my loot :lol

Defcon

Banned
rlgd9l.jpg

Sweet pistol I just got from a champion treant. I'm now busting off crits upwards of 900 dmg. I also bought Fireball lvl 3 from a vendor to equip on my pet along with his Heal All lvl 2 skill.

Top Bottom