• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Defcon

Banned
54-46! said:
Is there any loot that drops in Very hard that doesn't drop in Hard? both in Hardcore. Was thinkin about maybe creating a character on Hard and give him my loot instead of playing on Very hard.. I don't want to loose my loot :lol

Loot drops remain the same over all difficulties. You can't used the shared stash on hardcore characters.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'm up to level 10 now and having a blast. They really got the loot part of the game down and everything just feels so polished. I just wish I had more time to play!

What the fuck!?

This game literally came outta nowhere for me and rocked my jockey hard!

Great to see the Flagship folk back in action!

Bought this and been playing for the last three hours :lol

Switched to Hard and its doesent seem much diffrent from normal. I did get a unique sword from the mines boss that required level 4 and had 110 attack:D also got a 2 set Hawk gloves and boots. Cant figure out how to start the next main quest line though (library or something)

bengraven

I wish I hadn't bought Titan Quest two months ago now. I hate wasting money on games on Steam. I should have waited for this.

"Switched to Hard and its doesent seem much diffrent from normal. I did get a unique sword from the mines boss that required level 4 and had 110 attack also got a 2 set Hawk gloves and boots. Cant figure out how to start the next main quest line though (library or something)"

Just keep going deeper. Also, Hard difficulty doesn't get "hard" until you get out of the crypts, then there's a noticeable kick up on difficulty.

ToxicAdam

I'm kind of amazed at all the people bowled over by this game. It makes me realize a lot of people didn't play Fate (or it's successor).

bengraven

ToxicAdam said:
I'm kind of amazed at all the people bowled over by this game. It makes me realize a lot of people didn't play Fate (or it's successor).

I played and loved Fate, but this game is not only better, but even closer to Diablo.

Well, to be fair, as GAF Fate fanboy #1, it *does* blow Fate (and Mythos) away. So, it's not like they missed out on something quite as great as Torchlight.

ToxicAdam

Well obviously it should blow Fate away. Fate was geared more towards the casual market. But it has been around for 5 years (?) now and gets a lot of word of mouth praise. Torchlight is just a logical extension of the brand.

The one thing I hated about Fate was fishing. Do they still have fishing in the game? It seemed to make the game imbalanced if you fished a lot.

Defcon said:
You can't used the shared stash on hardcore characters.
Hardcore characters can use the shared stash, but you won't see the items from Softcore.

If you only play HC like I am, dump most of your rare stuff inside the shared stash instead of the normal one. Helps when you die. :p

There's still fishing, though tweaked a bit. They changed the minigame and now it's pretty much unfailable, whereas in Fate you could set the hook exactly at the right time and not get shit. If you set the hook at the right time now, you will get something every time. Seems to be a lotttt less loot in the fishing holes compared to Fate and also seemingly less of them (though I could just not be paying attention), though there's still one in town.

"Anyone have any idea about how it takes to get through this? Lovin' the demo, lovin' that I can play it on my work PC."

I'm about 7 hours in, I think, and I still have a bit left. Probably 10-12 hours when all is said and done (for me). That said, I haven't been doing too many portal dungeons, that would add on a lot of time.

Teknopathetic said:
"Switched to Hard and its doesent seem much diffrent from normal. I did get a unique sword from the mines boss that required level 4 and had 110 attack also got a 2 set Hawk gloves and boots. Cant figure out how to start the next main quest line though (library or something)"

Just keep going deeper. Also, Hard difficulty doesn't get "hard" until you get out of the crypts, then there's a noticeable kick up on difficulty.

Ohhhhhh I went down and kicked the overseers ass, dont think my hp even budged as im like level 14:lol probably shouldnt have doen loads of the quests in the town before going deeper!

Zeliard

Yesterday I unlearned the Summon Skeleton spell because I wanted to give it to my pet, without realizing that it would actually disappear permanently, along with the scroll for it. That's a pretty easy to find spell, right?

I love the loot system in this game so much already. I'm hooked. Didn't get to play a great deal last night but I'm ready to give it a few hours tonight.

Vinci

Danish
Based on the remarks in this thread, I certainly know what I'll be doing tonight. Set up the demo to download last night and had to go to bed before playing.

Of course now I'm terrified because this seems to be another Diablo. And I don't mean a 'Diablo lite' like most loot games, more like a genuine Diablo.

Time will simply vanish... I don't even remember high school.

Wes

venison crêpe
Never played a game like this before but lately I've been tempted to getting an rpg (was tempted to get Obllivion or The Witcher) so I'm about to try out the demo.

Question, how many hours of gameplay can one squeeze out of this? Money is scarce at the moment even with it's reasonable pricetag.

bdouble

Wes said:
Never played a game like this before but lately I've been tempted to getting an rpg (was tempted to get Obllivion or The Witcher) so I'm about to try out the demo.

Question, how many hours of gameplay can one squeeze out of this? Money is scarce at the moment even with it's reasonable pricetag.
I don't know how long the main quest is but the level cap is 100. There is an endless dungeon at the end of that. Then on top of that there are phase dungeon. Basically random dungeons pulled from a pool of maps. There are some in the game now but you can also add in player created maps to be these phase dungeons.

Also the main dungeon is randomly generated. Usually games like this it isn't uncommon to play 40+ hours. Some hardcore TQ and Diablo players played 100+

played this yesterday for 3+ hours. awesome game. i picked alchemist. Got him to use a quarterstaff and pistol+shield. and I don't have to buy spells or items. man the loot is awesome ;D

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Tried out the demo last night - I love this game's style. The armor and effects are really snazzy, but what does it for me is the game's sense of scale and height. I loved going into the crypt portal for some rich guy's quest and looking down into an impossible depth below. Gets me crazy excited for Diablo 3 too, since that environment especially reminded me of some Blizzcon demos.

Will definitely purchase this soon.

Haunted

This is totally up there with the rest of them. When I'll refer to the loot genre from now on, I'll make sure to mention Diablo, TQ and Torchlight.

Doytch

So, is the random enchant function like Fate? In that it can give you debuffs on your item. I tried a few times and always got positive ones.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
10eltv7.jpg

This shit is like crack cocaine.
I got some purple Boots. "Of the hawk" set.

I need to go to bed.

Chocoboko

I only played this game for a few hours last night but I had to force myself to turn it off and go to bed. I cannot wait to go home and play some more.

Tons of fun!

2 things:

1. Make sure you go to town from time to time if a floor is taking a while to complete. When the game crashes (happened to me twice) it reloads to the last time you entered a zone. I lost a unique orangy thingy. :(

2. My cat can summon flaming swords.

blitz64

Is hardcore mode like diablo2 where you can only die once? I loved playing hardcore mode with my friends about 10 years ago.

Games like these, I would think it is easy to make but see so little of them in this quality. Definitely looking forward to the free mmo version.

DaFish

blitz64 said:
Is hardcore mode like diablo2 where you can only die once? I loved playing hardcore mode with my friends about 10 years ago.

Games like these, I would think it is easy to make. Definitely looking forward to the free mmo version.

Yep

Rayven

aka surume
Played for 4 hours as an Alchemist last night. Best $20 I've spent in a long time.

Questions:

Can you respec (points and abilities)?

If you put points in a stat outside of your expertise, does it only affect item req and the efficacy of weapons in that category? Ex: I'm an alchemist and I put a few points in STR. Do I only see a benefit if I use melee weapons? The tooltips are a little unclear.

thaOwner

Teknopathetic said:
"Tek, what level is your character ?"

Cool, can't wait to find a better armor for my mistress. Also, I echanted the same weapon twice and now for every kill I make, I get +5hp. :D

ivajz

HeartAttackJones said:
Played for 4 hours as an Alchemist last night. Best $20 I've spent in a long time.

Questions:

Can you respec (points and abilities)?
As it stands right now, no you can't respec. There is a way to respec using the console though, from what I've heard. I forget where I've seen it though.

Wes

venison crêpe
Om nom nom this game is fun. Is there anywhere in town I can get stuff identified or can I only use the scrolls?

Almak

theMrCravens said:
2 things:

1. Make sure you go to town from time to time if a floor is taking a while to complete. When the game crashes (happened to me twice) it reloads to the last time you entered a zone. I lost a unique orangy thingy. :(

2. My cat can summon flaming swords.
Pff. My cat is decked a'la Brad Shoemaker deck (Skeleton summon + Silence).
I cant stop playing this god damned game! Going back in nao!

Zeliard said:
Yeah where's Deckard Cain at?
Yeah seriously! Having to always stack up on ident scrolls is hella annoying!

For those asking about respec.

Defcon said:
If you have the Console enabled in your settings file, press Shift + ` (The Tilde key)

Then type "item RespecPotion". This is one of few commands in the game's console that won't brand you a cheater.
Credit to Defcon for a the find. He orignally posted it at the end of page 10. I have already tested it and can confirm that it works.

Odious Tea said:
For those asking about respec.

Credit to Defcon for a the find. He orignally posted it at the end of page 10. I have already tested it and can confirm that it works.
How do you enable the console command with Steam ?
The config file keeps resetting when I restart.

Axiom

Goddamn it's almost 5am & I'm just getting to bed because of this game.

The good news is that due to a gold hat & duel-wielding pistols, my vanquisher looks just like a Warhammer Witch Hunter. Androzani and her pet kitty Peri are already making out better than their namesakes did.

Top Bottom