• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

epmode

Odious Tea said:
For those asking about respec.

Credit to Defcon for a the find. He orignally posted it at the end of page 10. I have already tested it and can confirm that it works.
It only works if you're not using the Steam version. If you are, wait for a patch.

Does the respec potion also reset stat points? I hope so. I love that Diablo 3 is entirely removing manual stat points.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Wes said:
Om nom nom this game is fun. Is there anywhere in town I can get stuff identified or can I only use the scrolls?
There is a spell you can get that you can use to identify items.

theMrCravens said:
How do you enable the console command with Steam ?
The config file keeps resetting when I restart.
You can't. I'm afraid it's a bug in the Steam version. Must wait for a patch or for some cavalier modder to add it in when he gets his hands on the editor that's to be released later this week.

Damn this game, played the demo some more, i really should buy this.

Methinks more devs should consider smaller budgeted games (Like this and Sins of a Solar Empire) for the PC, id love to see a talented developer with a small budget create a single player FPS, who knows maybe this is where PC gaming is heading (along with multi-plat) ?

Barrett2

This is also the first time i've ever used Steam, since I normally only play console games. Pretty fun service, I had somebody from the GAF group message me with a question or two about the game, I was too embarrassed to tell them I barely knew what the hell I was doing.

And maybe its just my shitty netbook performance, but I keep accidentally clicking on the ground next to an enemy, instead of on the enemy. I guess this kind of thing just takes time to get the feel of?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Nice to see so many people enjoying this (and not being able to escape its grip :lol)

Having a group of guys escape from the debacle that was Blizzard North, consequently rise out of the ashes that was the Mythos team at Flagship, and then create the spiritual successor to the Diablo series where word-of-mouth is literally pushing the success of the title beyond what little pre-hype there was.. nothing short of a fairy tale.

It's a shame that David Brevik could not have been with the guys for this but I'm sure he's happy as Larry for the team. I suppose two-thirds of the main heads behind Diablo is better than none.

Zeliard said:
The Idle Thumbs interview with Max Schaefer in their final "podblast" episode is really good.
Good to hear. I've been saving it until I finish this god forsaken essay. Planning to listen to while I play.

Defcon

Banned
My wife is getting really pissed off with me sitting in front of the computer for hours on end. I haven't been this addicted to a game since WoW was first released.

I guess I'll have to sit down with her for a few hours and watch a movie or something tonight. :(

Moobabe

Just finished the download, however it won't load. I keep getting an error saying the .exe has stopped working. I've uninstalled and redownloaded it but no joy so far. Anyone else had this same problem?

AwRy108

Damned this game is terrific.

It's not fair to my social life that this game and Borderlands dropped in the same month. At least spread them out a bit!

Zeliard

AwRy108 said:
Damned this game is terrific.

It's not fair to my social life that this game and Borderlands dropped in the same month. At least spread them out a bit!

This, Demon's Souls and then Dragon Age next week.

Just unfair. I've barely had the chance to play Brutal Legends, which I bought and have barely gotten into due to other games taking up my time. Much less so Borderlands, which I've yet to try.

ACE 1991

torchlight.jpg

My spike-tastic level 12 Destroyer. I love this game :D

Are there any shields in torchlight? I played for ~3 hours last night and didn't find any, a quick check of the vendors didn't help me either. Seems like it would be a weird item to leave out.

Dresden

BlueScrote said:
Are there any shields in torchlight? I played for ~3 hours last night and didn't find any, a quick check of the vendors didn't help me either. Seems like it would be a weird item to leave out.

One of the first rare items I got was a shield, although it didn't seem very helpful on my Alchemist.

Great game.

Gah, I'm starting to become a bit annoyed with my summoner. It's not because the build is weak or anything -- the damage output is actually quite nice -- but because some of the game systems aren't working too well.

First, the pathfinding. If an enemy is behind a wall or up on a platform, it will aggro the minions to run into the wall even if they can't reach the enemy. This is a huge pain because of the second problem:

Minion targeting. The minions tend to stay focused on the first enemy they aggro in an encounter, if that means a guy behind a corner or out of sight they'll usually run past all other enemies in order to get to the one in the back. That makes my character very vulnerable since he seems to have a much higher priority than the minions (they run straight for me in all cases). When there are a lot of enemies out you'll inevitably be forced to run in circles with the chunk of the mobs while your minions chop on some dude in the back. This wasn't a problem in Mythos since there you had a "target" spell that made your guys attack whoever you put that spell on, making it much more manageable. I haven't seen such a skill here.

As it is now, the only way to get your minions to re-target is to run away until the enemies in the back "despawn" (they "disappear" if you go too far away, even putting debuffs and such on pause), and that's very tedious.

Maybe it'll get better when I get the teleport spell, provided it works like in Diablo and teleport your minions along with you that could solve the problem. But I'm not sure how that works yet.

Oh and again, not having an indicator showing how many minions you have out really sucks. Especially now that I'm having ~6 out just from skills. It's impossible to see the tiny little imps in all the chaos.

BlueScrote said:

yeah. i use a shield with my pistol that has electric damage (or was it it ice? or was my staff that the one that has electric? IDK) :lol.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
Zeliard said:
This, Demon's Souls and then Dragon Age next week.

Just unfair. I've barely had the chance to play Brutal Legends, which I bought and have barely gotten into due to other games taking up my time. Much less so Borderlands, which I've yet to try.

Yeah, no shit. I've bought, in the last 10 days:

Borderlands
Brutal Legend
Uncharted
Uncharted 2
Ratchet & Clank Future 1
R&C Future 2
Forza 3
Demon's Souls

and the game for the last 24 hours I've been playing virtually nonstop is Torchlight. I'm totally hooked....

mrgone

I love this game! So far I'm not missing co-op at all, it's so much fun to play. I'm still in awe that Runic cranked out something so completely awesome and polished in just 11 months.

One thing I'm still not really sure about is how damage breaks down for dual weapons vs single weapons. The character stats screen is a little sparse on nitty-gritty info like this (probably something that'll be augmented quickly by modders :) ).

The Thumbs podblast with Max Schaefer was great as well. As mentioned, anyone interested in Torchlight or Max Schaefer's history with the genre should give it a listen.

Zeliard

I'm also really loving this "quit whenever and wherever you want and everything is auto-saved including your position" thing that Torchlight and Demon's Souls are going with. More games need to do this.

Zeliard said:
I'm also really loving this "quit whenever and wherever you want and everything is auto-saved including your position" thing that Torchlight and Demon's Souls are going with. More games need to do this.
Agreed. I love being able to wrap it up at a moments notice.

54-46!

I have a feeling doing my first playthrough on Very hard / Hardcore is gonna bite me in the ass at some point, no trouble so far though :lol

2n6dzxg.jpg

I havn't added any new skills, wich ones do you recommend?

Zeliard

Odious Tea said:
Agreed. I love being able to wrap it up at a moments notice.

It gives both of those games a neat "pick up and play for a half hour" sort of appeal to them.

The "problem" is that they're so well-made, entertaining and downright addictive that it's nearly impossible, at least for me, to only play them for a small chunk of time. The only reason I stopped playing Torchlight last night is because it was about 3 AM and I had to get up in 4 hours for work.

I see more lack of sleep in my future.

Castor Krieg said:
What if I downloaded a demo and will buy a retail version? Do my characters carry over?
Yep, and that applies to any version of the game, from the dev's site or Steam or whatever. They all save data in the same place.
Zeliard said:
It gives both of those games a neat "pick up and play for a half hour" sort of appeal to them.

The "problem" is that they're so well-made, entertaining and downright addictive that it's nearly impossible, at least for me, to only play them for a small chunk of time. The only reason I stopped playing Torchlight last night is because it was about 3 AM and I had to get up in 4 hours for work.

I see more lack of sleep in my future.
Also, in this game possibly even more than in Diablo, there is ALWAYS some goal you're in the middle of. Either you're just going to play until you finish the current floor, or until you complete the next main quest, or until you kill the quest mob for the robot, or until you find the next piece of ember for the wizard, or until you level up, or until you reach your next fame tier... You're absolutely always on the cusp of another overlapping goal. You never actually just get your current goals wrapped up in a tidy place. There's always a reason to keep playing.

I've been up until 5am twice so far.
epmode said:
Does the respec potion also reset stat points? I hope so. I love that Diablo 3 is entirely removing manual stat points.
I like that design choice for D3 as well, but I don't have an issue with it in this game. There are only four stats to level, and they're mainly supplementary; they aren't as integral to builds as they are in Diablo. You can pretty much just keep a big bank of them lying around for when you need a higher stat to use a piece of equipment.

Played the demo up to lvl 5, and I am going to be buying this very soon, even on my 900mhz Celeron 1gb ram XP laptop this runs very well.

Just a few ?'s before I make purchase, is there a ton of content, so far the demo has a few quests and a nicely sized mine dungeon, but is there a lot more stuff? Also can you attack without having to click the mouse button every time?

Only found out about this game the day before yesterday, which is odd, cause I'm a pretty big Diablo fan. Saw that Matt Uelmen was doing the music and I was pretty much sold.

The game feels very decent so far. Only problem is I can't for the life of me find the button for the pet to go sell my stuff. Where the hell is it?

54-46! said:
I have a feeling doing my first playthrough on Very hard / Hardcore is gonna bite me in the ass at some point, no trouble so far though :lol

I havn't added any new skills, wich ones do you recommend?

All Ive taken so far is the charge, Maxed out dual wield and put points into the first skill, treasure hunter and some into armour on the 3rd tree (+x% armour and lows requirements)

I dont really even use charge, just run in and smash the hell out of everything :lol found another awesome 1h sword (meteorite something) with 258 dps :D

1.jpg

2.jpg

So how do I give my pet spells and have it learn them? I thought when you gave it stuff it simply sold them - but from posts in this thread it seems I am wrong.

Spells for pets (aswell as rings/necklace) are below the portrait of the animal.

Sending them back to town is on the top left part of the UI next to the food bowl.

luka

Loves Robotech S1
Chris Remo said:
Just hold it down.

God that drove me crazy when I watched that GiantBomb quick look video and the guy was just MASHING THE FUCK out of his mouse. It almost drowned out his voice. These games have abandoned click-spam since diablo 2 guys!

Oh and I love this game sooooooooo much.

Fallout-NL said:
Guys, how do I send the pet back to town? Can't find the blasted button.

little yellow icon above the bow icon.
just remember they sell everything that the pet is holding even in the fish and maybe spells tab?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Fallout-NL said:
Guys, how do I send the pet back to town? Can't find the blasted button.

It's the little green bag beside your pet's name. In the top left corner of the screen.

DMPrince said:
little yellow icon above the bow icon.
just remember they sell everything that the pet is holding even in the fish and maybe spells tab?

Johnlenham said:
Spells for pets (aswell as rings/necklace) are below the portrait of the animal.

Sending them back to town is on the top left part of the UI next to the food bowl.

aidan said:
It's the little green bag beside your pet's name. In the top left corner of the screen.

Thanks, I'll be careful. :D

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Erm just a quick question. What am I supposed to do after defeating the
overseer
? Still trying to finish the
search for the library of the overseer

Can I ask what the point is of identify scrolls? I realize what they do, I'm asking from a game design perspective. I can't think of any point to this dated and stupid mechanic. Please enlighten me though.

VaLiancY

Fuck this game for being so good. Fuck this game for allowing me to blow up people from a melee swing like I'm Kenshiro and lastly - This makes the wait for D3 a lot easier. :lol

ToxicAdam

elrechazao said:
Can I ask what the point is of identify scrolls? I realize what they do, I'm asking from a game design perspective. I can't think of any point to this dated and stupid mechanic. Please enlighten me though.

Its a mechanic used to level the playing field for melee only vs magic only characters. Melee get many advantages and this (not being able to cast indentify as often as they like) is a negative.

datamage

Teknopathetic said:
"music is done by the same composer who did the original diablo (and diablo ii as well), as i recall. goty material fo' sho.

Damn, no wonder the music is outstanding. The town music has hints of the D1/D2 town music.

What's the general consensus on which difficulty to start on? After playing the demo I bought this gem, and plan to start my char later tonight.

Top Bottom