• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

bdouble

Nif said:
So I've heard there is going to be a multiplayer version down the road. I think I might wait until that becomes available since I don't have any free time to play, and Dragon Age is just next week. Those screens make it tempting, though. :D
Just know that it is a MMO and it won't be out for another year or so. This game meanwhile is releasing with all the tools and there will be tons of content added by the community.

You also get a free upgrade to the MMO when you buy this.

lawblob said:
I equipped my dog with a spell but he doesn't seem to ever use it. Not sure why.
What spell? Mine has used fireball, some ice thing, and zombie summon, and he always does it. Do you have him set to passive mode?

Fusebox

Banned
lawblob said:
I equipped my dog with a spell but he doesn't seem to ever use it. Not sure why.

That's odd, it seems like my cat is always summoning flaming swords and throwing fireballs at just the right time.

Barrett2

Chris Remo said:
What spell? Mine has used fireball, some ice thing, and zombie summon, and he always does it. Do you have him set to passive mode?

I gave him zombie summon. Maybe he has been set to passive.... I'll set him to aggressive, hopefully I start seeing some goddamn zombies coming from his direction.

ACE 1991

Chris Remo said:

I wasn't aware until now that pets could even use spells :lol

Do you find the ones you're using effective?

Mine has a heal all allys one and a summon skeleton soldier. They skels kick ass and he chucks out the heal every time its ready it seems. Not found any permanent change food yet other than the dog/cat from the vendor.

ACE 1991 said:
I wasn't aware until now that pets could even use spells :lol

Do you find the ones you're using effective?
I've settled on ice and a summon spell. I don't like having to deal with summoning with my current build, so it's nice to just have my pet handling it, and his ice spell is hugely useful because it means that enemies are just passively getting slowed down. Previously he had a fireball, which was relatively powerful, but didn't give me any actual side benefit other than more damage.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So after I read that you can carry your demo character over to the full version, I decided to sit down with it again. And, what's that? Oh, look. I've spent six hours. ON THE DEMO.

I'd like to go ahead and tell everybody who was complaining about the lack of multiplayer (particularly three days ago me) to kindly shut the fuck up and buy the game. This game is like heroin, if heroin weren't such an easy drug to quit.

edit:

lawblob said:
I gave him zombie summon. Maybe he has been set to passive.... I'll set him to aggressive, hopefully I start seeing some goddamn zombies coming from his direction.

Yeah, if you set him to aggressive he goes zombie crazy. At least mine does. I never don't have three zombies following me around while I have my pet set on aggressive.

Reikon

Doytch said:
So it looks like dual-wielding gives you no extra attacks, just stacks whatever magic effects you have on both weapons? Anyone confirm or deny?

I'm using dual pistols and it seems like each gun does independent damage. One of my guns does about twice the damage of the other, so it's quite noticeable for me. I'm not sure about dual wielding a melee and a ranged weapon though.

pilonv1

I stupidly gave myself a healing spell instead of my pet. I'll change that up when the next one drops.

My dog currently has frostbolts and silence. The silence is awesome, the frostbolt not so much since even in passive mode he tries to target guys on different levels or in different rooms.

Fusebox

Banned
The worst one I gave my dog was some kind of sprite spell that mind-controlled mobs but I'd always waste too much trying to target them before realising they'd been turned to an ally so I swapped it for fireballz. The flaming sword seems to be the most effective one I've given him though.

how you liking it so far pilon? I saw you pop up on Steam last night while I was playing.

Foofaraw

Ug, I need to finish my homework before I buy this. The demo was great.

My only hesitation is that I feel like I should be using the money to get Digital Devil Saga or Nocturne. SMT has a strong grasp.

Reikon said:
I'm using dual pistols and it seems like each gun does independent damage. One of my guns does about twice the damage of the other, so it's quite noticeable for me. I'm not sure about dual wielding a melee and a ranged weapon though.

I'm pretty sure that only the enchant stats are combined. So if two weapons have the same attack speed and one does more DPS, it will hit harder. However, I have life-stealing one one pistol and mana-stealing on the other, and hitting with either triggers both.

Doytch said:
Aren't all (most?) abilities instantaneous?

For some classes it may be that cast speed is analogous to a swing-timer; i.e. things that boost cast speed increase the rate at which you can attack, and lower the global cooldown on abilities. Nothing to support this though, it's just the way that WoW does haste so it's a possibility.

eznark

Banned
So I dove into the game tonight. It is the absolute perfect World Series companion. I can play this game while watching the WS and not miss anything in either.

Highest praise I can give during the Fall classic.

Sadly, it will not run on my machine, which is somewhat understandable. Running 1.6 ghz and 512 ram. Old laptop... I didn't even look for required specs, just kind of downloaded and hoped against hope.

Oh well, sad.

Reikon

Kureishima said:
Sadly, it will not run on my machine, which is somewhat understandable. Running 1.6 ghz and 512 ram. Old laptop... I didn't even look for required specs, just kind of downloaded and hoped against hope.

Oh well, sad.

Try the netbook mode. They seem to have similar specs. :D

Volodja

Chris Remo said:
I've settled on ice and a summon spell. I don't like having to deal with summoning with my current build, so it's nice to just have my pet handling it, and his ice spell is hugely useful because it means that enemies are just passively getting slowed down. Previously he had a fireball, which was relatively powerful, but didn't give me any actual side benefit other than more damage.
Yeah, the Ice spell on the pet is pretty useful, useless as far as damage goes, but the slow down is a blessing especially since I've changed my staff and I no longer have Ice damage on it. For the other spell summons or something to cure himself seems right.

I don't find spells to be hugely useful for the main character right now, spending skill points to level them up is out of the question so until I find some higher level stuff they seem pretty useless overall. Maybe it has to do with the fact that I'm using an Alchemist, so I have damaging stuff by myself and as a cure I have too many potions, maybe the Buffs could be nice, I have to see if I can find an Elemental Defense spell with a good level.
Speaking of Alchemist, Ember Spear looks monstrous, totally regret having spent points in Ember Bolt, maybe I'll have to use the respec potion if they patch the steam version. On the opposite, Ember Lightning left me a reeeeeally bad impression, maybe I'm misusing it.

Doytch said:
Aren't all (most?) abilities instantaneous?
I guess it works kind of like in Diablo 2, basically it speeds up the animation, so it isn't about cooldown or preparation of the spell but the actual frames it takes you to cast the spell and start moving again.

torchlight-1-1.jpg

Reikon said:
Try the netbook mode. They seem to have similar specs. :D

Yeah, netbook mode just reduces the amount of time it stays frozen/laggy by half, still freezing and lagging for quite a time during more than 2 enemies on screen or a large looking effect. It takes a good 5-7 minutes to load the title screen, took me a while to make my characfter (heavy lag when switching models), and then when I enter areas, the sound files start playing at least 1.5 minutes before the loading screen disappears....

It sucks. I really wish I could afford a new computer.

leela

Neo Member
People have seen performance boosts by unzipping pak.zip and re-zipping the files using the built-in compress option in Windows. That might help out with your netbook performance.

You can read more details here.

I'm nearing level 30 with my destroyer and I found a new toy a level or two ago.

thebeast.jpg

calculon.jpg

leela said:
People have seen performance boosts by unzipping pak.zip and re-zipping the files using the built-in compress option in Windows. That might help out with your netbook performance.

SAdly dude, it's not a Netbook. That's just the kind of machine I'm working it.

epmode

How can you tell which floor number you're on? I have a quest that wants me to go to a particular floot number but the little message in the top right of the screen only shows the name of the level, not the floor.

edit: Nevermind, it looks like some floors just don't display the number.

whoa. didn't know i could duel wield weapons. i have a sceptor and pistol. sort of pointless as it'll switch from attack to another.
haha. nevermind. scepter and one handed melee + magic = awesome ;D

bengraven

DMPrince said:
whoa. didn't know i could duel wield weapons. i have a sceptor and pistol. sort of pointless as it'll switch from attack to another.

yeah, I had the same set up. It was pretty disappointing, though I was still killing enemies fairly quickly.

bengraven said:
yeah, I had the same set up. It was pretty disappointing, though I was still killing enemies fairly quickly.

i switched. i got a sceptor that shoots ice. a one handed melee weapon. held down L-shift to shoot from a distance and attacked up close with left click. will swap out my right click for a defensive spell i think.

EDIT: hmm. that didn't work. :lol. nevermind. it sounded cool when i had it.

edit. i guess it does work. melee works if i clicked right near the enemy. but if I clicked from a distance it'll shoot. i guess that's good.

bengraven

DMPrince said:
i switched. i got a sceptor that shoots ice. a one handed melee weapon. held down L-shift to shoot from a distance and attacked up close with left click. will swap out my right click for a defensive spell i think.

EDIT: hmm. that didn't work. :lol. nevermind. it sounded cool when i had it.

I didn't really get that far in the demo to experiment. I was rocking a fire want in one hand and my enchanted, socketed ice pistol in the other. So I was doing huge cold damage with one hand then switching to explosive fire on another.

Well, I know that since it chugs bad in level 1 with just a few spiders, even with tweaks if I ever got to apalce with a large enemy (boss) or a real amount of enemies I'm sure will appear in the dungeons later, the system just won't do..

Fuck!

Very addictive game! Bought it this morning, it's the first loot game I buy since Diablo II back when it released. I couldn't help but smile when I appeared in the first town and heard the Tristam-like music with the guitar. :p

Max

I am not Max
I just started a berserker a few hours ago, currently level 14, game's so good

Gonna make some hot chocolate and play some more

Fusebox

Banned
DMPrince said:

I reckon it's ace, I blast them with the pistol with +knockback from long range and if they get within melee range my other arm swings out and smashes them back.

bathala

Banned
Fusebox said:
I reckon it's ace, I blast them with the pistol with +knockback from long range and if they get within melee range my other arm swings out and smashes them back.
that's wat I like about the game.

it has classes, but it doesn't limit u on equipment and spells. U can be a warrior with mace on one hand and scepter on the other.

Shinjitsu

Banned
leela said:

Wow, I was having some issues where certain spells would cause slight frame hiccups on a 2.8 ghz core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram, ATI mobility 3670 and 256GB SSD.

Did that fix and now the game is running at a rock solid 60fps with Vsync on with no hiccups at all, thanks for point this fix out.:D

markot

Banned
Hm.

Judging by how long the pak.zip us taking to unzip... somethings wrong with it.

Feels like it 'stutters' abit here and there for me, so im redoing it!

Top Bottom