• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

MoxManiac

I should be able to run this okay, right?

P4 2.4
1GB ram
6600gt

Sorry if it's a stupid question, i'm not used to being able to run brand new games on this piece of shit.

ToxicAdam

MoxManiac said:
I should be able to run this okay, right?

P4 2.4
1GB ram
6600gt

Sorry if it's a stupid question, i'm not used to being able to run brand new games on this piece of shit.

You should. My rig is a P4 2.8, x700 (5 year old card) w/ 1 GB ram and it ran fine.

I've only had problems with the occassional "hiccups" this game has. But, that seems to be happening to everyone.

Doytch

ToxicAdam said:
Game mechanic to help balance magic v melee users. Magic users get to identify for free (once they learn the spell), whereas the melee classes have to pay a toll or wait until they get back to town.

It's kind of a staple of roguelike games. The only difference is that roguelike games punish the user with cursed items from time to time.
It doesn't seem to work as well in Torchlight though, since everyone can learn any spell. My Destroyer has the Identify spell, and it's pretty much the only spell I cast (though I have the Heal IV spell that I can use next level that I anticipate getting some action).

ToxicAdam

Doytch said:
It doesn't seem to work as well in Torchlight though, since everyone can learn any spell. My Destroyer has the Identify spell, and it's pretty much the only spell I cast (though I have the Heal IV spell that I can use next level that I anticipate getting some action).

Yes, it becomes a pretty moot point soon into the game. I've been through 7 levels already and haven't ran out of scrolls yet. They are plentiful. My destroyer hasn't even needed to learn the spell.

Doytch

ToxicAdam said:
Yes, it becomes a pretty moot point soon into the game. I've been through 7 levels already and haven't ran out of scrolls yet. They are plentiful.
I'll say that when an Orange/Purp drops, and I just see "Mysterious ______" or something, I get all giddy. Hitting that Identify spell on that item is just awesome. Though overall I think it'd be better if they auto-identified Greens if you have the spell (like the Lore skill in D&D).

Kade

I like this game. I've never enjoyed Diablo or Titan Quest but for some reason, this game really clicks with me.

Zeliard

Loxley said:
Just hit level 5 with my alchemist...not stopping anytime soon. This game feels so much like a WoW/Diablo hybrid that now any temptation I had to get back to World of Warcraft has dimmed quite a bit :)

Phenomenal game, and I've only been through the first dungeon.

It's like a mix of Diablo/WoW/Freedom Force.

Philthy

I'm playing an Alchemist and I am going the summoning route. Currently I've got 3 ghouls out eating people, but I have no idea what their stats are, how much life they have, or anything. Is there a way to tell this? There are all these other skills that give them 20% more life, 10% more damage, etc.. But I really don't know what they currently have, so there isn't a point in selecting it if I have no idea.

Half the time I can't even tell when one of them dies. There are no markers on the UI showing anything at all. Since the spells cover the screen I usually don't realize I need to resummon stuff until im dead or the battle is over and I do a head count.

This game is about stats and more stats. Where are my stats?!

Ourobolus

Banned
bengraven said:
Off work at 11pm.
At home at 12am.
Playing game until 4am.
Up at 5:30am.
Back to work at 7am.

Jesus, this sounds familiar. When did I do this once before?

Oh right.

Fucking Diablo 2.
:lol Ugh...don't remind me. Diablo 2 took about 3 years from my life. I just hope this game doesn't turn into a bunch of Meph runs. So far so good, though. :)

epmode

Philthy said:
I'm playing an Alchemist and I am going the summoning route. Currently I've got 3 ghouls out eating people, but I have no idea what their stats are, how much life they have, or anything. Is there a way to tell this? There are all these other skills that give them 20% more life, 10% more damage, etc.. But I really don't know what they currently have, so there isn't a point in selecting it if I have no idea.

Half the time I can't even tell when one of them dies. There are no markers on the UI showing anything at all. Since the spells cover the screen I usually don't realize I need to resummon stuff until im dead or the battle is over and I do a head count.
This is by far the biggest problem with the game (besides the no-multiplayer thing). I usually love summoning builds, too.

FoxSpirit

Yeah, it would be nice to actually see how much damage spells do.

e.g. Ember Bolt has this "Magic attribute" with "50%" next to it, then in the spell description it says "20% Weapon damage".
Ice Shock has none of the two but simply says "+31-46 ice damage".
So IceShock simply deals fixed damage while Ember Bolt scales with the weapon or with the magic attribute? Or both? This isn't actually explained anywhere.

Oh, and I really understand the "No summoning UI" complaint. Well, should be easy to patch in or maybe mod?

saelz8

I like how the journal gives you the stats for how many enemies you've killed, steps walked, time played, etc. Not really a big deal, but it's nice when a game gives you some accumulated information.

Can't wait to get home and play some more.

Alright. Yeah. I'm two hours into this. It's awesome. I'm playing as an alchemist.

One question: Are there any ways to check the stats of a summon? HP or something?

Zeliard

Joseph Merrick said:
oh man if only this game had a jack kirby lookalike artstyle

The art styles are different but Torchlight feels very comic book-y, especially with the stylized characters and the onomotopeias.

Victrix

*beard*
Don't play this game on Normal unless you just want to turn your brain off :lol

I finished it in six hours, died 0 times, got the low health warning once, and killed the last boss standing under him mashing an ability over and over until he died

... which isn't to say the game is bad :D

Beautifully presented.

I have some major gripes with some stupid issues - no key remapping, have to hack a file, no respeccing, have to hack a file, any modification brands your character as 'The Cheater' in a single player rpg, and removes the ability to use your shared stash!

But oh well. They're releasing the tools shortly, I'm looking forward to many mods and adventures to come.

Onward to Vanquisher and Alchemist!

Victrix said:

I finished it in six hours, died 0 times, got the low health warning once, and killed the last boss standing under him mashing an ability over and over until he died

Beautifully presented.

I have some major gripes with some stupid issues - no key remapping, have to hack a file, no respeccing, have to hack a file, any modification brands your character as 'The Cheater' in a single player rpg, and removes the ability to use your shared stash!

But oh well. They're releasing the tools shortly, I'm looking forward to many mods and adventures to come.

Wow its that short. Oh well, worth every penny even if it is.

I'm currently over 10 hours on hard (tee hee) and I still have a couple floors left. I could definitely see making 6 hours on normal if I could just blast through everything. But it's looking more like maybe 12 or 13.

bengraven

markot said:
Whats the point of this 'identify' crap >.>?

daot-ani06.gif

( :lol )

Victrix

*beard*
Yeah I'll probably do Hard next. A few people said they hit a ludicrous wall on VHard that was instagibbing them past a certain point.

I've got one other char on VHard and one on Hard, guess I could play up to that point and see what happens first hand.

Also I hate identifying. I'll be thrilled when a mod comes out that has all items id'd by default. Two clicks for every green+ item in the game for no good reason at all :|

bengraven

For some reason my Vanq doesn't actually use her default starting spell. I'm at work, so I don't know the name of it yet, but it's a crit ranged weapon attack. Unless I'm missing something while waiting for a massive, majestic spell to appear when really it's just a slightly improved regular shot.

Helznicht

Just tried the demo, seems cool, but quit shortly in.

Is there a keyboard command list anywhere? Mainly would like to know if there is a way to spin the camera.

Volodja

FoxSpirit said:
Yeah, it would be nice to actually see how much damage spells do.

e.g. Ember Bolt has this "Magic attribute" with "50%" next to it, then in the spell description it says "20% Weapon damage".
Ice Shock has none of the two but simply says "+31-46 ice damage".
So IceShock simply deals fixed damage while Ember Bolt scales with the weapon or with the magic attribute? Or both? This isn't actually explained anywhere.

Oh, and I really understand the "No summoning UI" complaint. Well, should be easy to patch in or maybe mod?
This is just speculation based on a very simple test and general observation but it looks like there are different parts that add to the damage output of a spell:
1) x% of your weapon damage, not shown in the +something-something elemental damage of your spell, it is added on top of it (or it is the base for it). So if you have a 100 Ice Damage staff and a 20% weapon damage skill you will do 20 Ice damage.
2) The base +stuff of the spell, that is not seen, it is part of the +something-something elemental damage shown in the Skill Tree
3) The Stat modifier, those are shown as a percentage of your stat I think (those 50% or 100% near the Magic icon, in the Battle tree there is also the Str icon) and it is the other part that forms the +something-something elemental damage. So if you add 2 to your Magic attribute, you will do 2 more damage in a skill that has 100% Magic affinity (let's call it like that) and 1 more in a skill that has 50% Magic affinity, more or less. From what I've seen the minimal damage is bumped only by 1 point with a change of 2 in the Magic attribute even in the 100% Magic affinity skills, don't know why but I've run a test in, like, 5 minutes taking away a piece of equipment.
Again, this is how it looks like to me and how I've come to think it works based on the fact that sometimes the enemies got frozen when I used Ember Bolt and had a Critical Hitw when my staff had Ice Dmg and after I changed it it didn't happen, I've yet to see if eventual Attributes tied to your weapons (like +Knockback) are considered. It may very well be totally wrong.

bengraven said:
For some reason my Vanq doesn't actually use her default starting spell. I'm at work, so I don't know the name of it yet, but it's a crit ranged weapon attack. Unless I'm missing something while waiting for a massive, majestic spell to appear when really it's just a slightly improved regular shot.

Hint: it's called Ricochet for a reason

Victrix said:

Very hard sounds almost the same. Except instead of using skills you just never stop pressing the potion button.

Edit: Ok i guess i didn't hit that wall yet.

ToxicAdam said:
Yes, it becomes a pretty moot point soon into the game. I've been through 7 levels already and haven't ran out of scrolls yet. They are plentiful. My destroyer hasn't even needed to learn the spell.

Which is why it's an obsolete and stupid game mechanic.

In other news, I love this game.

elrechazao said:
Which is why it's an obsolete and stupid game mechanic.

In other news, I love this game.
Same with town portal. Just open one up any time you are at a new level so you if you die you can just go back right to it.

Edit: Totally regret playing on very hard. Sure its not fun if its too easy, but I don't want to be trying to game the system all the time just to get anywhere.

Volodja

Lostconfused said:
Same with town portal. Just open one up any time you are at a new level so you if you die you can just go back right to it.
A town portal placed in the right spot can make the difference between an alive and a dead Hardcore character.
Also having to travel for half a level just to sell or stash your loot would be painful.

FoxSpirit

I like identifying, but they could make it so a "shift+rightclick item" would do it instead of 2 clicks.

But no way I'll give up the "hmmm, I wonder what I've picked up" feeling. Maybe for greens, but for nothing else. The moment you go to the inventory to identify some epic or unique item is some special for me. :D

blitz64

You have to hold alt to see the text of what items are on the ground, just like diablo2. Is there an option to have alt always on?

Although it is a very very fun game. I don't see myself playing it more than once or twice. Unlike diablo2 where I have played through it countless times.

I rather have a torchlight 2 game with coop play similar to diablo3. Than an mmo game like WoW. Lets hope the mmo version will be just like this game.

Volodja

blitz64 said:
You have to hold alt to see the text of what items are on the ground, just like diablo2. Is there an option to have alt always on?

Although it is a very very fun game. I don't see myself playing it more than once or twice. Unlike diablo2 where I have played through it countless times.

I rather have a torchlight 2 game with coop play similar to diablo3. Than an mmo game like WoW. Lets hope the mmo version will be just like this game.
Yep, near the pause icon there is a Magnifier Glass icon with Alt writtien under it, press it and you will have the names constantly on screen. But I wouldn't advise to do so because sometimes the enemies end up being hidden by the icons.

Also the Torchlight mmo should be just like Torchlight gameplay-wise but in a MMO enviroment

Cheeto

FoxSpirit said:
I like identifying, but they could make it so a "shift+rightclick item" would do it instead of 2 clicks.

But no way I'll give up the "hmmm, I wonder what I've picked up" feeling. Maybe for greens, but for nothing else. The moment you go to the inventory to identify some epic or unique item is some special for me. :D
I agree. I was thinking about this last night...makes it a lot more exciting when that extra element of surprise is there.

bounchfx

damn hahah, I tried to do a 'hardcore' alchemist on hard mode.. I died as soon as I reached the second floor lol, huge mob of enemies surrounded me and destroyed me. there's nothing I could do with the pathetic starter spell and one health vial lol

Almak

So, yeah...my time away from this game didn't last long. Just started a second run this time with a ranged Vanquisher and its a completely different experience. Torchlight has a very interesting new game + approach.
Oh yeah also found this medieval toilet.

34sgw1x.jpg

Zeliard

Almak said:
So, yeah...my time away from this game didn't last long. Just started a second run this time with a ranged Vanquisher and its a completely different experience. Torchlight has a very interesting new game + approach.

What does it do for NG+?

Victrix said:

Beautifully presented.

There's a mod made by one of the Runic developers that add Respec Potions to the General Goods vendor.

http://www.runicgamesfansite.com/torchlightmods/node/32

Almak

Zeliard said:
What does it do for NG+?
It gives you an option to "retire". When you retire you pick an item to pass on as an heirloom to your descendant, which gets enchanted. The new character you pick thereafter will start with slightly better stats as well as that item in the inventory (plus of course anything you left in the shared stash is passed on too).

Philthy

One other annoying thing is the automap. It doesn't properly fill in the areas you've been through sometimes due to rocks or whatnot being in the way from the "fog of war" radius you put out. So when I go look at the map, I never know which gap is a path I missed or just some wall that couldn't be drawn in because of something being in the way. Kind of defeats the whole purpose of having an automap.

Have they said of any tweaks coming down the line? I'd like to see this fixed and a way to see my summoned minions status.

Flyguy

Torchlight's site must be getting hammered, the d/l is unavailable at the moment. Is there anywhere else to d/l the demo besides Steam?

Vinci

Danish
Finally played this last night. So far I'm resisting the 'Diablo Addiction Mode,' but it's certainly an awesome game and well worth the price.

bengraven

Danne-Danger said:
Already looking forward to my upcoming Vanquisher playthrough. :D

Shared stash is the best thing ever!

Yeah, I'm glad they took the shared loot container from Titan's Quest.

Lostconfused said:

Edit: Totally regret playing on very hard. Sure its not fun if its too easy, but I don't want to be trying to game the system all the time just to get anywhere.

Yeah, I WISH they took the free universal town portal from TQ.

Teknopathetic said:
The MMO will play like Torchlight.

And that makes me happy.

Putting in 50+ hours in Mythos only to have my characters die when it was shut down was heart breaking. I can't wait.

Zeliard

Almak said:
It gives you an option to "retire". When you retire you pick an item to pass on as an heirloom to your descendant, which gets enchanted. The new character you pick thereafter will start with slightly better stats as well as that item in the inventory (plus of course anything you left in the shared stash is passed on too).

Ah, interesting. I think I may try to play on Very Hard for NG+.

Top Bottom