• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Loxley

Just hit level 5 with my alchemist...not stopping anytime soon. This game feels so much like a WoW/Diablo hybrid that now any temptation I had to get back to World of Warcraft has dimmed quite a bit :)

Phenomenal game, and I've only been through the first dungeon.

bathala

Banned
ah crap. i was trying to fool demo by accessing portal u can buy, but lvl caps at 7. :S

oh well...bought. FUUUUUUUUUUU my wallet

leela

Neo Member
Shinjitsu said:
Wow, I was having some issues where certain spells would cause slight frame hiccups on a 2.8 ghz core 2 duo, 4 gigs of ram, ATI mobility 3670 and 256GB SSD.

Did that fix and now the game is running at a rock solid 60fps with Vsync on with no hiccups at all, thanks for point this fix out.:D

It hasn't cured my stuttering issues but many have said it greatly reduces load times. The developers are saying that have identified other issues that will cause in game performance and are working on a fix.

Shinjitsu

Banned
leela said:
It hasn't cured my stuttering issues but many have said it greatly reduces load times. The developers are saying that have identified other issues that will cause in game performance and are working on a fix.

It did lower my load times a tad, it really wasn't and issue to begin with. But the frame hiccups were driving me crazy. I'd fire off ember lance and get a small hiccup almost every single time. This fixed it for me.

But yah hopefully the patch is out soon, I'd like to use Needle arc without leveling up every 10 seconds.:lol

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
In a weird way, Torchlight has bumped Dragon Age from a Day One purchase to an item on my Christmas list. Can't get enough of it.

alistairw said:
Ah shit, tried the pak.zip fix and now the fucking game won't run.

I had a problem for a minute. I know this is obvious but just make sure the archive is named "Pak", with no ".zip" as part of the filename.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
ShineALight said:
I had a problem for a minute. I know this is obvious but just make sure the archive is named "Pak", with no ".zip" as part of the filename.

Yeah, tried it both ways. Restarted Steam, restarted Windows...nothing. Runtime error every time I try to launch.

Welp.

Shinjitsu

Banned
alistairw said:
Ah shit, tried the pak.zip fix and now the fucking game won't run.

- You need to unzip the "Pak.zip" contents. (Windows will unzip to a folder called "Pak", inside the game folder.)
- Now, you have to enter the "Pak" folder, and "Right-Mouse Click" the "media" FOLDER. Select "SEND TO" and then "Compressed (Zipped) Folder".
-This creates a ZIP FILE called media.zip, which has the folder and the contents of the "media" FOLDER inside the zipped file.
- ReName this "media.zip" to "pak.zip".
- Now select that file with the "Right-Mouse button", and then select "CUT". or (CTRL+X)
- Go back into the "Torchlight" folder and rename the original "Pak.zip" to the name, "OriginalPak.zip".
- Now you can PASTE the copied file into this folder. or (CTRL+V)
- You can delete the uncompressed folder once you have moved the zip file into the location of the original zip file.

Bebpo

Banned
Question: Does the whole game take place in the mines? Probably a stupid question but I'm new to this genre.

Bebpo said:
Question: Does the whole game take place in the mines? Probably a stupid question but I'm new to this genre.
it's all straight down yeah, but there are different styles and themes to the tilesets as you go downward.

Lost Fortress boss is really cool. Lost Fortress music is also REALLY good. It's starting to feel like mentioning a good piece of music in this game is being Captain Obvious.

There's something wrong with the difficulty to the game. When I first started the game, I was getting tons of gold and purple drops. The game was also pretty easy for normal settings. After around 10-15 hours messing around with different toons, I decided to reroll as a destroyer on normal. Now, I rarely get blues and haven't seen a gold or purple item(have around 3 hours played). The game is also much more difficult compared to when I first started playing. Im no longer able to simply 1 shot the bosses like I was doing when first playing and the bosses are now more responsive then before, forcing me to run around the room. Also, I took one of those random portals that enemies sometimes drop, and I was sent to a map that looked like I was in hell. There were tons of dragons and other enemies just bombarding me out of nowhere. Died a few times at the portal entrance before getting a handle of the map.

I'm not really complaining, since it makes normal more of a challenge now. I just thought it was weird that the game got harder the more hours I put into it, rather then the level of my toon.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Masta_Killah said:
There's something wrong with the difficulty to the game. When I first started the game, I was getting tons of gold and purple drops. The game was also pretty easy for normal settings. After around 10-15 hours messing around with different toons, I decided to reroll as a destroyer on normal. Now, I rarely get blues and haven't seen a gold or purple item(have around 3 hours played). The game is also much more difficult compared to when I first started playing. Im no longer able to simply 1 shot the bosses like I was doing when first playing and the bosses are now more responsive then before, forcing me to run around the room. Also, I took one of those random portals that enemies sometimes drop, and I was sent to a map that looked like I was in hell. There were tons of dragons and other enemies just bombarding me out of nowhere. Died a few times at the portal entrance before getting a handle of the map.

I'm not really complaining, since it makes normal more of a challenge now. I just thought it was weird that the game got harder the more hours I put into it, rather then the level of my toon.

Difficulty always ramps up in Diablo like games as you get deeper in them.

The portal you went into is an optional area and have harder enemies by default.

I went almost my entire Hard play threw without dieing once....tell i got to the last area and got one shotted by a certain enemy over and over.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Shinjitsu said:
- You need to unzip the "Pak.zip" contents. (Windows will unzip to a folder called "Pak", inside the game folder.)
- Now, you have to enter the "Pak" folder, and "Right-Mouse Click" the "media" FOLDER. Select "SEND TO" and then "Compressed (Zipped) Folder".
-This creates a ZIP FILE called media.zip, which has the folder and the contents of the "media" FOLDER inside the zipped file.
- ReName this "media.zip" to "pak.zip".
- Now select that file with the "Right-Mouse button", and then select "CUT". or (CTRL+X)
- Go back into the "Torchlight" folder and rename the original "Pak.zip" to the name, "OriginalPak.zip".
- Now you can PASTE the copied file into this folder. or (CTRL+V)
- You can delete the uncompressed folder once you have moved the zip file into the location of the original zip file.

Thanks for that. Wish I'd seen what you wrote prior to fucking around in directories for half an hour, but I managed to fix it...somehow. Thank god, too! I'm hooked on Torchlight so bad.

Shinjitsu said:
For anyone wanting to respec, this is an offical mod by Runic, it adds respec potions to the general items vendor.

http://www.torchlightinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270

That's nice and all, but where the hell would I unrar that into if I have the Steam version? I don't have an Application Data folder or anything. I have a shortcut to application data but it doesn't go anywhere.

Edit: God damn hidden folders! You made me look stupid!

Snapshot King said:
That's nice and all, but where the hell would I unrar that into if I have the Steam version? I don't have an Application Data folder or anything. I have a shortcut to application data but it doesn't go anywhere.
What OS do you have?
In XP its
C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data

Shinjitsu

Banned
Snapshot King said:

Yes actually you do. I have the steam version and it works just fine

users/your user name/AppData/Roaming/runic games/torchlight

AppData might be a hidden folder so enable them.

And wtf the link has instructions.

bathala

Banned
Snapshot King said:
i just did a second ago
C:\Users\YourName\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\mods\RespecMod

follow that. App data is hidden. once u get to the user folder go to tools/folder options -view tab and click show hidden files n folders

Hards not been to bad so far. Ive died maybe 4 times and just take the money hit as its liek 1.5k when I have like 26k :lol Mostly died in the lizards cavern place due to those goddamn trees that suck your life and mana! Used a 10-20 random scroll and ende dup back there with mobs my level including Dragons and shit :D

Dreavus

Johnlenham said:
Hards not been to bad so far. Ive died maybe 4 times and just take the money hit as its liek 1.5k when I have like 26k :lol Mostly died in the lizards cavern place due to those goddamn trees that suck your life and mana! Used a 10-20 random scroll and ende dup back there with mobs my level including Dragons and shit :D

You have 26k? How do you not spend it? :lol When I'm not spending my gold on enchanting my gear, I'm trying my luck at the gambler's shop. Just recently I tore through my shared stash looking for money to buy a sweet breastplate from the blacksmith.

I think I've only been above 10k gold a few times, and I pick up everything.

remz

Been playing this today. Game is awesome fun. I'm playing the girl, in that area with the giant spiders and the little guys with spears and am loving it.

oooh, looting makes me feel good.

I decided to shelve my lvl 20 summoner until they fix the minions... instead I'm going with a Destroyer decked out with the uniques I've found so far (on very hard).

Stampede is one awesome ability. :D

senahorse

Just finished the first 'main story' mission, and all I can say is, what a FANTASTIC game this is. You can tell the love and experience that has gone into making this game, Runic have nailed the genre on so many fronts, great, great game. :D

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
OMG your pet is AMAZING! The fact that they have their own inventory slots, and you can send them back on their own to just vendor stuff is the greatest thing EVA!!!!

Anyways I installed last night, and just did the first group of floors. So far everything has been smooth for me. Game runs flawless with a great framerate maxed out and I've had no bugs so far either. Really really polished!

Dreavus said:
You have 26k? How do you not spend it? :lol When I'm not spending my gold on enchanting my gear, I'm trying my luck at the gambler's shop. Just recently I tore through my shared stash looking for money to buy a sweet breastplate from the blacksmith.

I think I've only been above 10k gold a few times, and I pick up everything.
Duno it just amasses :lol
I dont buy potions or gear, Ive used the gambler 4 times, once I got Unique Shoulders, then a Unique helm, then a purple chest that i need another level to wear and then some shitbag bluebelt.
My sword cant be enchated anymore and my axe I found an enchating shrine so thats done aswell :D

Almak

Just finished. All in all I clocked 10 hours and 8 on my main. The last milieu was a little drawn out and the final boss battle was a bit more tedious that I would have hoped (though sufficiently epic) but I had tremendous fun playing! I might go back in with a different character later on but I think I need to take a break from this game now. I played just too damn much of it.

Lord Phol

Might pick this up later when I get a new computer rolling (spilled half a glass of water on my old one, whoops) instead of Diablo. Just not very happy with what blizzard is turning into and what they are doing to their games atm.
Glad to see some good impressions on this.

markot said:
Whats the point of this 'identify' crap >.>?
I think the idea behind it originally was something like with coin/stamp collecting or any type of valuable collecting thing where if you don't know what you've got and you're selling it off, the people buying it off you might buy it at a really low price and screw you (watch the beginning of the movie ninth gate, awesome movie)-- but if you know what you have you will get what the item is worth. or something like this. it's a pretty weird mechanic/feature that's just always there in these games. I think it's nice when you get the unknown orange items, nice little surprise to see what they are. but for garbage I sell I don't even look. I do identify on everything but yeah.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Lord Phol said:
Might pick this up later when I get a new computer rolling (spilled half a glass of water on my old one, whoops) instead of Diablo. Just not very happy with what blizzard is turning into and what they are doing to their games atm.
Glad to see some good impressions on this.

Yah, it sure is terrible when a company known for making amazing games, makes more amazing games. I can see why you're not happy with them.

You should buy this game though;D

Basically this is just a great game. I've poured hours and hours into it since yesterday morning. I wish it were more like Diablo 2 than 1 structurally, but otherwise it's just a perfect example of an extremely well crafted game. These guys are at the top of their craft here, you can tell they have been making this type of game for 10 years, they seem to know the genre inside out.

That's all I wanted to say really.

Actually, I know what they've said their plans for a torchlight mmo are, and while I enjoyed Mythos I wish they weren't going free to play + incentives. I can't see how that sort of model wouldn't throw off the excellent pacing they've achieved here. I would definitely pay for a diablo 2/guild wars model game made by these guys. But I guess that's not the model they're shooting for.

Anyway, sweet game.

Dyno

PC only as of now, right? No word yet on if this title will make its way to the console networks? Looks fun and I love the name and concept.

Dyno said:
PC only as of now, right? No word yet on if this title will make its way to the console networks? Looks fun and I love the name and concept.
mac version is coming.

I doubt they have a non-computer version in their thoughts at all. as they shouldn't.

alba

Little is the new Big
This game is just too awesome. I played it last night 8hours straight and my copy of Forza3 was just sitting there, makes me want Diablo 3 even more now.

Can't wait for their mmo or somekind of way to add coop to this, that'd make it even awesomer than it already is :D

Lord Phol

Shinjitsu said:
Yah, it sure is terrible when a company known for making amazing games, makes more amazing games. I can see why you're not happy with them.

You should buy this game though;D

Was more thinking along the lines of not supporting LAN-play in the sequel to one of my most played LAN games, and trying to turn an MMORPG inte an e-sport. But let's not delay this topic with my gibberish nonsense :c.

Keep the impressions coming!

bengraven

Off work at 11pm.
At home at 12am.
Playing game until 4am.
Up at 5:30am.
Back to work at 7am.

Jesus, this sounds familiar. When did I do this once before?

Oh right.

Fucking Diablo 2.

ToxicAdam

markot said:
Whats the point of this 'identify' crap >.>?

Game mechanic to help balance magic v melee users. Magic users get to identify for free (once they learn the spell), whereas the melee classes have to pay a toll or wait until they get back to town.

It's kind of a staple of roguelike games. The only difference is that roguelike games punish the user with cursed items from time to time.

--- ---

Bought the game last night and played for about 4 hours. I was hoping for a bit of a bigger departure from Fate. The graphics, the story, the dungeon layouts and overall presentation is an incredible leap forward. But the core of the game is still Fate. Which isn't bad, but after playing Fate/Fate 2 for 60 hours, it doesn't have quite the same punch.

Good game, but still wish it would break free from it's casual roots.

bengraven said:
Off work at 11pm.
At home at 12am.
Playing game until 4am.
Up at 5:30am.
Back to work at 7am.

Jesus, this sounds familiar. When did I do this once before?

Oh right.

Fucking Diablo 2.
:lol

Jinaar

Purchased it last night as well, inserted the crack directly into all my orifices, I proceeded to let it run wild internally. It liquidated my insides but I remain transfixed. This damn game needs either a party function just to chat or else please please get the multiplayer out asap. This game is solid as a rock.

Top Bottom