• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Vinci

Danish
Odious Tea said:
Does anybody elses Torchlight Steam icon lack transparency? The background is just black and it's a weirdly annoying.

2e2jck9.jpg

Does Batman anger you as well?

Defcon

Banned
My new crossbow I just found. It's made things pretty ridiculous with my 42% crit chance. I'm hitting mobs for 2k+ crits quite often.

zxa1dz.jpg

Nice ballista!

This run soooooo good on my 18 mo old laptop, so so happy. Probably won't be helpful during classes!

If you are a total loot whore, this game is for you. The animation is fantastic, with enemies falling off narrow bridges or shattering into ice crystals on critical hits. The music is great. It really is the baby brother to FATE, so if you loved that game, go go now.

Give Runic your monies!

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Most of Mythos' awesomeness, other than multiplayer, has made it across (chiefly GUNS, but also maps and the general chunkiness and controlled chaos of combat.) The best part of Mythos was being in it from the beginning and getting to see it leap in quality with every new build - especially when it got the art direction and camera revamp, which we're lucky enough to get with TL as the baseline.

I think I'm going to buy another couple of copies just to thank Runic for letting me duel-wield overenchanted, oversocketed hand-cannons while being spam-healed by my cat.

And man, though I do love D3's soundtrack, it is awesome to get some Uelmen rock again.

Jefklak

Okay so I've tried the demo...

HOO LEE SJIIIT that music! Wow so much nostalgia I can't take it... Everything looks, plays and hears just like good ol' Diablo. Awe-awe-awesome. The gold pickup sounds, breaking a barrel, the inventory, ... Damn this game is it! (Sorry Michael)
Only seem to be a bit too little diverse skills. Great bang for buck, buy buy buy

Vinci

Danish
ShineALight said:
Found like one unique in three or four hours of play. Anyone else get such a shitty drop rate? I have tons of magic find too.

Same here. Never really got very good drops. At least not anywhere close to what I've seen others report in this thread.

Vinci said:
Same here. Never really got very good drops. At least not anywhere close to what I've seen others report in this thread.

For the first 13 hours I was finding unique and set items left and right. I have at least 30 stored up. But they just stopped coming and it's kind of a bummer.

ShineALight said:
Found like one unique in three or four hours of play. Anyone else get such a shitty drop rate? I have tons of magic find too.

Im getting shitty rates with my destroyer, yet my alch is getting tons of great drops. Also, the difficulty for my destro is much harder then my alch, even though both are at normal difficulty.

syllogism

ShineALight said:
For the first 13 hours I was finding unique and set items left and right. I have at least 30 stored up. But they just stopped coming and it's kind of a bummer.
I wasn't getting much at all on around level ~30 or so, it seems to have gotten a bit better now at 35 but not much. Maybe something wrong with the loot tables, there are definitely more uniques as you can get epic versions of all of them. I think I'm done with the game though, I'll just wait for the MMO.

Man, these portal runs can get pretty rough!

I went into one that had enemies at the same level as me (25) on Very Hard. Around a third of the way through the first floor I ran out of potions (you cannot use a town portal in the portal dungeons) so I had to inch my way through using only a Heal All 1 spell (which I happened to have laying around, healed ~149HP every 15 seconds) and my 20HP per hit (taking roughly 300dmg when being hit). I had to resort to hit-and-run Stampedes (I have frost shield and that slow aura active), hoping to make it out of each fight without taking a hit.

Fighting those epic mobs got pretty tense, which I've never really felt before in a Diablo game. Usually you just portal back home and stock up on potions.

Was worth it though! Found this to go with my shield:
jPBkeomWS.png

(that's with 10/10 weapon expertise)

Love this game. :D

eznark said:
Can someone tell me where this game stores save files? (I bought it through D2D, not steam)
Open up My Computer, type %appdata% in the address bar, should be a folder called Runic Games and inside that Torchlight and inside that Save.

In Windows Vista/7 the path would be: C:\Users\(Your User Name)\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\save

I don't have a copy of XP in front of me to check what the path would be, but I remember it being quite similar.

Dreavus

Regarding the respec mod, I unzipped the structure into the mods folder, but when I go to play it says this on the character select screen:

"Warning, game mods do not match those enabled when this character was last saved. Continue at your own risk"

Has anyone else run into this? I'm guessing it's nothing to worry about since it's just adding a potion, but I want to make sure before I go on again. =S

diederich

Neo Member
I got the same message and it's caused no problems. I respecced, played for a few hours and respecced again and nothing seems amiss.

Dreavus said:
Regarding the respec mod, I unzipped the structure into the mods folder, but when I go to play it says this on that character select screen:

"Warning, game mods do not match those enabled when this character was last saved. Continue at your own risk"

Has anyone else run into this? I'm guessing it's nothing to worry about since it's just adding a potion, but I want to make sure before I go on again. =S

Had the same thing, You are safe. Just click Continue and enjoy.

suzu

Great game (makes me want a multiplayer mode and D3 so bad though)!

I'm playing on Normal difficulty for Alchemist... does the difficulty effect drop rates? I've only found 3 uniques so far and I'm level 14. :<

Dreavus

diederich said:
I got the same message and it's caused no problems. I respecced, played for a few hours and respecced again and nothing seems amiss.

Castor Krieg said:
Had the same thing, You are safe. Just click Continue and enjoy.

Thanks guys, I'm trying it and it seems fine. :D

WIP Camera control mod in the General Mod Discussion section over on Torchlight's forum!

I quite like how many mods have popped up there and on SomethingAwful so far despite the Editor not even being out yet. :lol

Doytch

I got three of those Quaestor orange axes in a span of five minutes, and two dropped off the same weapon rack. :lol I thought they were unique? Anyway, +16% magic find now :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Do loot stats scale up in the harder difficulties? Unfortunately I started on normal and the game has been a bit too easy so far. I am level 15 at the moment and most enemies have been 1 hit kills.

I am thinking about just restarting on hard at this point.

Zefah said:
Do loot stats scale up in the harder difficulties? Unfortunately I started on normal and the game has been a bit too easy so far. I am level 15 at the moment and most enemies have been 1 hit kills.

I am thinking about just restarting on hard at this point.
No, they don't. And yeah, hard seems like the difficulty the game was intended for. That said, it does in fact get fairly hard towards the end of the game, but it's fun.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Chris Remo said:
No, they don't. And yeah, hard seems like the difficulty the game was intended for. That said, it does in fact get fairly hard towards the end of the game, but it's fun.

Yeah I think I might restart then. Normal just seems way too easy. I think I have used an HP potion maybe 10 times out of 15 levels.

I might try out the Alchemist as I have been playing the Destroyer up until now.

ACE 1991

Thanks for the frost spell tip Remo (for my pet) it's highly useful. I combined it with the "summon zombie" spell just for kicks :lol

Defcon

Banned
I'm on floor 28 so I guess I'm near the end. I think I'm going to retire my Vanquisher and start a Destroyer on Very Hard.

alba

Little is the new Big
I'm actively working on retexturing the interface of the game Diablo 3 style :-D Got everything figured out (or almost) just need to start actually texturing now!! I love this game and hopefully we get the TorchED tomorrow :D

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
alba said:
I'm actively working on retexturing the interface of the game Diablo 3 style :-D Got everything figured out (or almost) just need to start actually texturing now!! I love this game and hopefully we get the TorchED tomorrow :D

They are releasing the tools already? I think I will definitely take a look at them and mess around. I used to dabble in level making back in the Doom and Quake days but unfortunately haven't mess around with any of that stuff in many years.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I can't wait to start downloading and making levels.

Also, re: sets

How the fuck are you supposed to get full sets in this game? They are so rare and you have no idea where they all spawn.

alba said:
Rad. I wonder how long it'll be until there's a Diablo total conversion rolling around. :lol

sprsk said:
I can't wait to start downloading and making levels.

Also, re: sets

How the fuck are you supposed to get full sets in this game? They are so rare and you have no idea where they all spawn.

My guess is shared stash and patience amidst the many playthroughs. Also helped that set pieces in general seemingly show up in shops with some regularity.

alba

Little is the new Big
Zefah said:
They are releasing the tools already? I think I will definitely take a look at them and mess around. I used to dabble in level making back in the Doom and Quake days but unfortunately haven't mess around with any of that stuff in many years.

No but you can interchange the textures already by adding a mod folder and using the proper file structure :)

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I'm at the first boss fight, but decided to go back up a floor to get something I missed, and now when I go back to him, the camera locks just freezes and we can't fight or even move.

I'm playing a shooty Alchemist w/ minion support, hard mode. Fuuuuck and I already have some good loot. I got this rare 2-handed rifle, the Skullhead Shotgun. I'm so pissed about losing this one item.

K.Jack said:
I'm at the first boss fight, but decided to go back up a floor to get something I missed, and now when I go back to him, the camera locks just freezes and we can't fight or even move.

I'm playing a shooty Alchemist w/ minion support, hard mode. Fuuuuck and I already have some good loot. I got this rare 2-handed rifle, the Skullhead Shotgun. I'm so pissed about losing this one item.
Does this help?

Shinjitsu

Banned
Went with a pure defence build on my new Destroyer. I should have played on very hard, on hard at level 25 I hardly take ANY damage. I heirloomed a unique one handed double damage axe to him that does over 800 dps, it's pretty sick.

Good god, steam says I have put in over 30 hours into this game already....I'm stupidly addicted.

FYI the block cap is 50% But it does seem to scale up and down depending on the level of the enemy. It's going to be fun to figure out what % i need at what level for max block.:D

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
K.Jack said:

This happened when I was playing the demo, Brink died (or almost died) when he first joined me and wouldn't follow, then at the boss fight when he was supposed to talk it froze up. I just hit escape a couple of times and it skipped the cut scene it couldn't play.

Archaix said:
This happened when I was playing the demo, Brink died (or almost died) when he first joined me and wouldn't follow, then at the boss fight when he was supposed to talk it froze up. I just hit escape a couple of times and it skipped the cut scene it couldn't play.

Same here. I was getting Brink the first few playthroughs I did when I first got the game, but after about my 4th or 5th toon, Brink stopped following. If this happens, don't worry, the game will still work. Play as normal and just skip the cutscene to start the boss fight.

After reading the forums, turns out there is an infinite dungeon after completing the game. It's a crypt located at the bottom right of town. Also, BEWARE of enchanting your gear. Turns out there is a <1% chance of the enchant completely wiping out all stats to the gear. The reward for sucess is insane, with people having 2k+ dps weaps, but it can all be wiped out with a bad enchant draw. Here's an example of someone spending a few million on enchants...

15mg5f9.png

0_0

Can't wait to try out the infinite dungeon....only a few more hours left with the main storyline.

Top Bottom