• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

nubbe

Seems like the awesome loot drops died off after 10 hours or so... mostly get white stuff now and no loot at all from main bosses :|

Almak

nubbe said:
Seems like the awesome loot drops died off after 10 hours or so... mostly get white stuff now and no loot at all from main bosses :|
Yeah, seriously. Last boss dropped nothing good what so ever! A couple of potions and 3 white pieces. :/

Shinjitsu

Banned
nubbe said:

Random drops are random. I'm seeing the exact opposite of this.

Anyone having problems with the targeting boxes being too small? It's especially tricky to target enemies when my char is on the move. Using ranged weapons one can always shift+attack but it's worse for my melee characters.

I started off not getting any blue and above items till I was in the mid teens. I'm now getting a ton of gold and purple gear drops while going through the dwarven fortress.

Just got this new helm a few minutes ago(along with around 5-6 gold items :lol)
2njj2hv.jpg

Also, if you guys press the enter key, the game will go into photo mode, which is a nice feature. :D

Masta_Killah said:
15mg5f9.png

Can't wait to try out the infinite dungeon....only a few more hours left with the main storyline.

Wait... I'm level 60 and this is beyond anything I've seen. I can get something like this by enchanting the same item repeatedly in town?

I'm in level 28 of infinite dungeon. This is where people will find the challenge in normal mode.

Also, level 60, 15+ hours in, not getting any good drops lately, still.

If you're playing as the tank I'd avoid weapons with a chance to turn enemies onto your side. I just smash through everything, and then some enemies walk around on my team for a while and I either have to wait around to kill them or just pass up the xp and loot.

Anyone come up with a cool build? I'm pretty proud of my tank situation: maxed out the passive melee mastery, dual wielding, the final skill in the Berserker tree and the skill that lowers mana cost and regenerates it faster. So I do insane damage, am constantly using a skill and never have to use mana potions.

A final thought: items don't sell for enough in this game. I should be able to sell a badass unique epic weapon and make enough to fill up on potions.

ShineALight said:
Wait... I'm level 60 and this is beyond anything I've seen. I can get something like this by enchanting the same item repeatedly in town?

Yes, you can enchant the same weapon again and again. Note that the weapon has approx. 1% of wiping out all enchants. Also further enchants cost more and more.

desverger

Assuming I'm playing on Very Hard, how effective would a trap-based Vanquisher be? Or would I just be trumped by resists on the enemies?

Dreavus

Is it just me, or is Ember Lance horrifically overpowered? :lol

There is no downside! Not only does it have incredible range, it tears through entire groups of enemies like nothing, and there is no limit to how many enemies you can strike with it at one time. Also it seems like every time you score a critical hit, it momentarily stuns your enemies, usually slowing their advance enough for continued focus to finish them off. It gets even better when you throw teleport in there for jumping back, the frost bolt spell (100% chance to slow) and Elemental overload (+15% damage for all elements for around 14 seconds - at offensive magic level 1!) The one thing that holds it back is the amount of mana it needs to be sustained, but a few points in advanced spell casting and some mana potions will fix that right up.

I love powerful spells, but it completely outshines other ones similar to it, like lightning bolt, Ember bolts and even the meteor skill you get at level 25 in some cases. I think it might need some overall toning down.

On that note, does anyone know if they are planning on releasing any kind of balance patch in the near future? I know it doesn't particularly matter, since it's single player, but it'd still be helpful.

Chromax

ShineALight said:
A final thought: items don't sell for enough in this game. I should be able to sell a badass unique epic weapon and make enough to fill up on potions.

So there's no way to get more gold even later? =(

Right now 2 full dungeon run and selling everything can pay for gambles for me...:lol

Dreavus

ShineALight said:

I'm in level 28 of infinite dungeon. This is where people will find the challenge in normal mode.

Also, level 60, 15+ hours in, not getting any good drops lately, still.

If you're playing as the tank I'd avoid weapons with a chance to turn enemies onto your side. I just smash through everything, and then some enemies walk around on my team for a while and I either have to wait around to kill them or just pass up the xp and loot.

Anyone come up with a cool build? I'm pretty proud of my tank situation: maxed out the passive melee mastery, dual wielding, the final skill in the Berserker tree and the skill that lowers mana cost and regenerates it faster. So I do insane damage, am constantly using a skill and never have to use mana potions.

Does the Destroyer not have access to the "bartering" skill? That one makes items cheaper in the shop and lets you sell items for a little bit more. That could help a little bit.

Chromax said:
So there's no way to get more gold even later? =(

Right now 2 full dungeon run and selling everything can pay for gambles for me...:lol

After clearing the main story, an infinite dungeon opens up. That's where you'll get most of your gold.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I restarted on hard (made a Destroyer again) and oh boy is the game a lot more fun on this difficulty. I was enjoying the game, but it was just way too easy on the normal difficulty. Now this game is really going to suck my time away. I'm getting the same feeling as I got when I first played Diablo.

ToxicAdam

That's probably the game's biggest flaw. Hard should have been "normal". It's the perfect balance.

Didn't get a chance to play much last night, got through all my portal quests and am just beginning the Library. I need to boost my armor, I am eating potions like Halloween candy.

Well, the game is marketed towards more than just us duders who've played diablo before. Actually when starting the game and mousing over the hard difficulty option, they explicitly say "Hay, if you've played a game like this before, pick this."

Anyway, beat the game, took me about 13 hours. At least 15-20 of that was on the final boss. Needless to say, it was sufficiently epic.

Javaman

Castor Krieg said:
Yes, you can enchant the same weapon again and again. Note that the weapon has approx. 1% of wiping out all enchants. Also further enchants cost more and more.

I've always assumed that it only worked one time since it always fails after that. I've only tried three times though.

thaOwner

unrenowned said:
Anyone having problems with the targeting boxes being too small? It's especially tricky to target enemies when my char is on the move. Using ranged weapons one can always shift+attack but it's worse for my melee characters.
Yeah I noticed that as well. What I do is just hold down the shift key whenever I am attacking. It works efficiently well with a ranged character but can be a bit wonky when using a close combat character.

Also am about 6 or so hours and my impressions earlier remains unchanged.

-GOTY material most defintely.

bengraven

Is there an ingame print screen option here. I want to make sure I'm not just pressing print screen for nothing. haha

blitz64

I finish listening to the Idle thumbs podcast interview of this game. Very great podcast.

The mmo will play just like this game, so it will probably be something like guildwars in a 2d view.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I see nothing wrong with curbing the normal difficulty a bit to appeal to a new audience. It's not like hard isn't there. It just means my friends who suck at these games can play it without being emasculated for having to choose easy.

blitz64 said:
I finish listening to the Idle thumbs podcast interview of this game. Very great podcast.

The mmo will play just like this game, so it will probably be something like guildwars in a 2d view.

More specifically, it'll be Mythos.

bengraven

blitz64 said:

Or Diablo The MMO.

Kifimbo

You know a game is great when you are thinking about it when you can't play it (because you are at work for example).

Hawk SE

I picked this up after playing the demo last night. I guess the cool thing is that going from the Demo to Full game just adds a few more files, but you get to continue your character.

Game is a steal at $20

"Is it just me, or is Ember Lance horrifically overpowered?"

Ember Lance may or may not be horrifically overpowered. Especially when you max out the crit talent and get some +crit gear so your whole screen is filled with Critical Hit messages.

Barrett2

Amazing how time flies by while playing this. Checked the game clock last night and I already passed 10 hours, which felt like nothing. True sign of a great game, the hours roll by and you don't even notice.

Lain

Bought my copy even tho I shouldn't have done it until next monday, but couldn't wait anymore.
Made a Vanquisher and started fishing.

I have 2 questions that have been probably been asked already:

-What does Enchanting in town really does? I've tried it twice and both times it added a socket to my weapon. So does it just add sockets or it can have any random effect (like adding damage etc.). Also if that's the case, can you enchant a piece of equipment over and over again and enchantments will just keep adding up?

-Is there a list somewhere of all the possible transmutations? I've only discovered 2 recipes (potions and gems) so far.

PhatSaqs

Banned
SDZeta said:
I have 2 questions that have been probably been asked already:

-What does Enchanting in town really does? I've tried it twice and both times it added a socket to my weapon. So does it just add sockets or it can have any random effect (like adding damage etc.). Also if that's the case, can you enchant a piece of equipment over and over again and enchantments will just keep adding up?

-Is there a list somewhere of all the possible transmutations? I've only discovered 2 recipes (potions and gems) so far.
On enchanting it can add other attributes to your item as well (ie. +5 ice damage, +2 to Dexterity attribute, etc.). There is a risk involved tho as Ive had it fail and all enchantments removed (ouch).

Almak

God dammit! What the hell is wrong with me? I just got Episodes from Liberty City today but all I can think of is how I'm about to ding my Vanquisher. :lol

Javaman

A couple of random thoughts...

-I'd love to have a way to see the sockets without highlighting the item or another one with slots or a gem. It takes way longer then it should to look for new weapons with sockets in town since the stat boxes block the view of the other weapons. Maybe some sort of toggle or moving the slots to the corners of the picture and showing them all of the time.

-It's going to be a blast using all of the gems I've found and combined on the next play through. Yay for no level minimums for using gems!

-Loading seems to take far longer then it should. I understand that procedurally creating the maps takes a lot of CPU time, but going to town and back should load much quicker.

-I love how you can send the pet back to town. You don't even need to open the pet panel to send items to him, just shift click and the panel will open all by itself.

syllogism

Enchanting is completely broken basically. While there's a chance for it to remove all the enchantments, you'll still end up with items far far better than any unique/random item you'll be able to find. It's not uncommon to get 20-30 enchantments per item and it's not THAT expensive if you pick a cheap base item and have the bargain passive ability

Philthy

I've been finding Normal to be challenging, so I'm not sure if my spec is whacked out or what. Huge Diablo 2 fanatic and did all the difficulty runs and such. Just playing a summoner Alchemist and i've got about 4 imps and a 1 steam golem right now, and at level 12 or so I barely make it through the boss challenges. Haven't died yet, but it's been close!

ToxicAdam

syllogism said:
Enchanting is completely broken basically. While there's a chance for it to remove all the enchantments, you'll still end up with items far far better than any unique/random item you'll be able to find. It's not uncommon to get 20-30 enchantments per item and it's not THAT expensive if you pick a cheap base item and have the bargain passive ability

Yes, they need to institute a system like Lineage had. Where the more an item is enchanted, the more likely it is to "break" (or get wiped in this case).

Playing the mage on very hard. I plan on playing mage then archer and then trying hardcore.

BTW, Is there a way to rotate the map?

Wes

venison crêpe
I must be doing something wrong as playing as a Rogue on Hard it quite tough. Even with relatively high defence and good armoured stuff I get one-shotted a fair few times against mobs the same level as me (23). Mainly I just spam a spell just out of melee range, run back, and keep doing it :|

Much easier to do that with a rifle in my hands.

That WIP camera control mod is going to be bonkers if the person can wring out all the kinks in it and get it working on all versions of the game come TorchED. He's got a FIRST PERSON view decently working all things considered FFS! :lol

Top Bottom