• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

SDZeta said:
I have 2 questions that have been probably been asked already:

-What does Enchanting in town really does? I've tried it twice and both times it added a socket to my weapon. So does it just add sockets or it can have any random effect (like adding damage etc.). Also if that's the case, can you enchant a piece of equipment over and over again and enchantments will just keep adding up?

-Is there a list somewhere of all the possible transmutations? I've only discovered 2 recipes (potions and gems) so far.

The power of enchant...

Me said:
Same here. I was getting Brink the first few playthroughs I did when I first got the game, but after about my 4th or 5th toon, Brink stopped following. If this happens, don't worry, the game will still work. Play as normal and just skip the cutscene to start the boss fight.

After reading the forums, turns out there is an infinite dungeon after completing the game. It's a crypt located at the bottom right of town. Also, BEWARE of enchanting your gear. Turns out there is a <1% chance of the enchant completely wiping out all stats to the gear. The reward for sucess is insane, with people having 2k+ dps weaps, but it can all be wiped out with a bad enchant draw. Here's an example of someone spending a few million on enchants...

15mg5f9.png

0_0

Can't wait to try out the infinite dungeon....only a few more hours left with the main storyline.

bengraven

Does there come a point when you just can't enchant anymore until you get to a certain level? One of my guns refuses to be enchanted (I've tried it twice with "nothing happens"). This character is still fairly low level though.

ElectricThunder said:
That WIP camera control mod is going to be bonkers if the person can wring out all the kinks in it and get it working on all versions of the game come TorchED. He's got a FIRST PERSON view decently working all things considered FFS! :lol

Ugh, camera control in these sorts of games is a baaad idea, play sacred 2 for a recent example of why it can be such a clusterfuck.

No45

GhostRidah said:
so what exactly is Fame? I get it from quests and some mobs but what do I use it for?
As you gain rank you get extra skill points to spend. Not sure if it has any other effect.

Defcon

Banned
GhostRidah said:
so what exactly is Fame? I get it from quests and some mobs but what do I use it for?

It gives you a point to put into your skills each time it levels up. I don't think it's much use for anything else.

Doytch

fizzelopeguss said:
Ugh, camera control in these sorts of games is a baaad idea, play sacred 2 for a recent example of why it can be such a clusterfuck.
Maybe, but it's a stepping stone for other mods. I've got an idea that might benefit from some camera tweaks (fixed, but different from the default).

ToxicAdam

GhostRidah said:

In Fate, some of the best weapons had a Fame prereq to go along with the level prereq.

I don't see any weapons that have that in Torchlight.

bengraven

I know what I'll be playing this weekend.

Now someone answer my fucking question:

Does there come a point when you just can't enchant anymore until you get to a certain level? One of my guns refuses to be enchanted (I've tried it twice with "nothing happens"). This character is still fairly low level though.

bee

if the game had 6 player online co-op ala mythos it would be a top 5 game of all time, as it is its "merely" goty so far, can't wait to see what people do with the level editor

Defcon

Banned
The game got fucking hard on the last area. I must have died at least 10 times on the last few floors. It gets insane fighting 5 champion mobs at one time with homing spells flying all over the place that can one shot you if can't outrun them.

I've been getting robbed on the bosses. They have been dropping white items and shit. Meh.

leela

Neo Member
I think you can enchant a weapon as much as you'd like and the only thing stopping you from continuing to enchant would be a lack of money. It seems like getting "nothing happened" is just random chance. I'm not positive though.

I'm hoping the patch next week fixes my stuttering issues. One thing that die help the issue somewhat was to set my processor affinity for torchlight.exe to only use one of my cores.

bengraven said:
I know what I'll be playing this weekend.

Now someone answer my fucking question:

I don't think there is a limit. Someone on the runic forums was saying that they've spent a few million gold enchanting 1 item without it maxing out. Of course, the person who said that also had his/her enchants reset a few times, so no way knowing if there is a max or not.

bengraven

leela said:
I think you can enchant a weapon as much as you'd like and the only thing stopping you from continuing to enchant would be a lack of money. It seems like getting "nothing happened" is just random chance. I'm not positive though.

I'm hoping the patch next week fixes my stuttering issues. One thing that die help the issue somewhat was to set my processor affinity for torchlight.exe to only use one of my cores.

Masta_Killah said:
I don't think there is a limit. Someone on the runic forums was saying that they've spent a few million gold enchanting 1 item without it maxing out. Of course, the person who said that also had his/her enchants reset a few times, so no way knowing if there is a max or not.

Ah okay. It was just really random to see it on my guns. I had zero problems enchanting everything in my equipment, but after a few enchants I lost 300 trying to enchant a gun. Then tried the other, "nothing happened". Then went back to the first gun, "nothing happened". 1000 early on made me think twice about it.

That said, how awesome is it you can get a white piece of standard gear (maybe with one or two sockets) then enchant it a few times and make it epic. :D

Neverfade

Can I keep my character from the demo? Or will I have to start all over when I buy?

Also, how long is the demo supposed to last? I heard first boss, but I killed that guy and kept playing. So confused.

bengraven

Neverfade said:
Can I keep my character from the demo? Or will I have to start all over when I buy?

Also, how long is the demo supposed to last? I heard first boss, but I killed that guy and kept playing. So confused.

It's pretty awesome. I tried the demo, was only kidding myself that I actually would need the demo for this, after an hour of playing I bought the game. Didn't even faze me...if there was a cut off point, it was long ago.

I'm not super far in the game, I'm still an alt-aholic like in the D2 days. I have two characters around lvl 10 (alchemist, vanquisher) and the other around 3 or 4.

Barrett2

My wife volunteers once a month at a women's shelter, her shift tonight is 11-6am. I just might be playing Torchlight until 4am, gentlemen.

remz

Neverfade said:
Strange. Got the Demo off Steam, it definitely didn't end there.
Level caps at seven in the demo, and you can't advance past the first main dungeon section. You can however do a heap of side dungeons

lawblob said:
My wife volunteers once a month at a women's shelter, her shift tonight is 11-6am. I just might be playing Torchlight until 4am, gentlemen.

Nice! As I get older I realize my time for gaming dwindles and dwindles unfortunately (Even though I've gotten my gf to game with me). Gotta take advantage of the time the woman isn't around!

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
So I got this belt that reduces my pet town trip time 80%. It's pretty awesome cause basically my pet comes back immediately due to my destroyer skill.

Now I just want the rest of the set, theres like an item for every slot I think.

The secret is to find some decent blues and then enchant them to hell and back. My blue weapons are always better than any gold/purple I find.

Rabbit Lord said:
The secret is to find some decent blues and then enchant them to hell and back. My blue weapons are always better than any gold/purple I find.

The price of enchanting purples are about the same as enchanting blues. I'd rather try to enchant purples due to their set bonuses. Gold gear though is ridiculously expensive to enchant. I was able to enchant one of my gold weapons a few times only because of random enchant fountains during a few runs.

If you want some easy purples, make sure you check the vendors(not the random vendor). They occasionally sell purples for a decent price. I was able to buy these when they showed up on the weapon/armor vendor.

27zw553.jpg

Masta_Killah said:
The price of enchanting purples are about the same as enchanting blues. I'd rather try to enchant purples due to their set bonuses. Gold gear though is ridiculously expensive to enchant. I was able to enchant one of my gold weapons a few times only because of random enchant fountains during a few runs.

If you want some easy purples, make sure you check the vendors(not the random vendor). They occasionally sell purples for a decent price. I was able to buy these when they showed up on the weapon/armor vendor.

Not at all, enchanting pruples or golds always costs at least 3-4 times as much. The last few times I went to enchant a gold/purple it's somewhere between 10k-12k for the first time. Where a decent blue won't even cost you 1k the first time.

Rabbit Lord said:
Not at all, enchanting pruples or golds always costs at least 3-4 times as much. The last few times I went to enchant a gold/purple it's somewhere between 10k-12k for the first time. Where a decent blue won't even cost you 1k the first time.

Not exactly. Set-piece items have a rarity too (either rare or unique). Only a unique set item will have a unique-level enchanting cost.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Fghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Just lost about 50K worth of enchantments on my gun, which I must have been enchanting for longer than I thought - it went from ~600 DPS down to 180. Ouch.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
alistairw said:
Fghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. Just lost about 50K worth of enchantments on my gun, which I must have been enchanting for longer than I thought - it went from ~600 DPS down to 180. Ouch.

I did this earlier today! I was surprisingly not all that angry.

However, I will definitely install a mod that removes the chance to wipe all enchantments if one gets released.

alistairw said:

At least that was chance, not stupidity. I lost my favourite hat because I went to the wrong goblin. Got some sweet low quality gems back though... :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I just joined Neogaf's Steam community and I had no idea how many PC gamers were on these forums. There are almost 2000 members! That was a bit of a surprise.

Quite a few of them are playing Torchlight, too! Including Mr. Remo!

Sectus

Drame said:
Anyone from Europe bought the game from the official website?

As it is quite a bit cheaper than on the Steam.
I did.

Makes me a feel a bit warm and fuzzy inside since it goes directly to the developer/publisher. (I think)

Dreavus

Oh man, I got up to the final boss on Hard, and I could not put a dent in him. His life bar literally wasn't going down. Well, that's not entirely true; I could see a tiny sliver coming off but I basically couldn't get him down any farther than that.

I might have to buy some portal maps and level up a bit more before trying again. That fight is just ridiculous. :lol

"Oh man, I got up to the final boss on Hard, and I could not put a dent in him. His life bar literally wasn't going down. Well, that's not entirely true; I could see a tiny sliver coming off but I basically couldn't get him down any farther than that.

I might have to buy some portal maps and level up a bit more before trying again. That fight is just ridiculous. "

Took me like 20 minutes, easily. Man up!

Tadale

I definitely recommend playing on hard. I've never played THAT much of Diablo, and hard mode is still not THAT difficult.

alba

Little is the new Big
Some basic ones yeah, the mod tools have been delayed until after the first patch which should hit like next week or so, just have to be a little more patient :)

Top Bottom