• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

eznark

Banned
alba said:
Some basic ones yeah, the mod tools have been delayed until after the first patch which should hit like next week or so, just have to be a little more patient :)
Ah, I didn't realize that. Just don't want to miss out on anything. Listening to the Thumbs interview has me stoked for additional content.

bengraven

So I'm fighting a bunch of beasts in the Necropolis when suddenly BAM LOADING SCREEN.

I suddenly appear in a world fulls of hundreds of gold just lying around and a ton of enemies my level or higher running at me. I died three times, accepted the XP/Fame penalty (because I wasn't sure I could get back in) and made out like a fucking bandit.

Got a gold pistol. :D

bengraven said:
So I'm fighting a bunch of beasts in the Necropolis when suddenly BAM LOADING SCREEN.

I suddenly appear in a world fulls of hundreds of gold just lying around and a ton of enemies my level or higher running at me. I died three times, accepted the XP/Fame penalty (because I wasn't sure I could get back in) and made out like a fucking bandit.

Got a gold pistol. :D
You probably killed a Phase Beast as they transport you to a dungeon when they die. They're the pink, glowing doglike beasties you see lurking around, I killed one during the middle of a battle too and was transported to a room with tons of gold, far too many skeletons and a giant Rock Troll with double damage attributes! I died three times also but decided to stay and see if it was a quest thing. Finally put the troll down with a ton of ranged shots and cleared the place out!

I think they transport yout to the same kind of place as the "Lost Dungeon" maps you can buy from vendors.

Looking forward to buying this game but I have forza 3, uncharted 2, full throttle and the ballad of gay tony all waiting to be completed.

On a side note, does anyone else feel that this would of been the diablo 3 that blizzard made if they weren't mad successful.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
EdwardTivrusky said:
You probably killed a Phase Beast as they transport you to a dungeon when they die. They're the pink, glowing doglike beasties you see lurking around, I killed one during the middle of a battle too and was transported to a room with tons of gold, far too many skeletons and a giant Rock Troll with double damage attributes! I died three times also but decided to stay and see if it was a quest thing. Finally put the troll down with a ton of ranged shots and cleared the place out!

I think they transport yout to the same kind of place as the "Lost Dungeon" maps you can buy from vendors.

The Phase Beast maps tend to be more gold/loot heavy than the maps you can buy, though. I went to one phase map that didn't even have any champions in there. Barely any regular enemies at all, actually - just a ton of mimics. And they all spit out a heap of gold, jewels and equipment when they die. Best phase map ever.

alba

Little is the new Big
I should have some screenshots of my diablo3 hud progress for TL this weekend (maybe tonight, depends on how fast I finish some of the work I've left) I'm excited :D

K.Jack said:
You can't rank them; replace them with higher level spells.

But they say like rank 1/10 up in the corner and has info text about what next level will do with it. If I replace Heal Self I with Heal Self II it will still say rank 1/10 and still have that info text but with different numbers. Also, the numbers Heal Self I says "next level" will have is not the same as Heal Self II has when you buy it.

Edit: Oh right, just remembered, I have a passive skill in my skill tree to rank up Charm spells. I guess there are other skills like that in other skill trees, so that's probably what the rank info is for.

830920 said:
But they say like rank 1/10 up in the corner and has info text about what next level will do with it. If I replace Heal Self I with Heal Self II it will still say rank 1/10 and still have that info text but with different numbers. Also, the numbers Heal Self I says "next level" will have is not the same as Heal Self II has when you buy it.

Edit: Oh right, just remembered, I have a passive skill in my skill tree to rank up Charm spells. I guess there are other skills like that in other skill trees, so that's probably what the rank info is for.
Yep. Heal Self II is an entirely separate spell, it isn't just a leveled up version of Heal Self I. You raise them through passive skills, or presumably items if there are any with those attributes.

syllogism

Hmm seems like this would be a bit game breaking for a level 1 character

2moqve8.jpg

syllogism said:
Hmm seems like this would be a bit game breaking for a level 1 character

2307pe.jpg
Holy shit! Goddamn! What!

Man, that puts my crazy pistol to shame. I've been kicking ass with this thing after passing it on from my first character.

chrisremo_torchlight_bladegun.jpg

syllogism

Chris Remo said:
Holy shit! Goddamn! What!

Man, that puts my crazy pistol to shame. I've been kicking ass with this thing after passing it on from my first character.
The bonuses you get per enchant are based on your character level and the cost is based on the base item. At that point it was still costing only 2.2k per enchant and I started with 100k or so.

bdouble

Odious Tea said:
Yeah, I think it can be pretty definitively said that enchanting is broken. :lol
Yep. Totally unbalanced. I'm not going to use it anymore. I have 2 blue swords on my destroyer (lvl21) and every unique I've found for a while is just useless.

110% attack speed is completely insane.

bdouble said:
Yep. Totally unbalanced. I'm not going to use it anymore. I have 2 blue swords on my destroyer (lvl21) and every unique I've found for a while is just useless.

110% attack speed is completely insane.
I only resort to using it when I start to get my ass handed to me when something good hasn't dropped for a while, but that situation is pretty rare.

Is it just me or is there a massive jump in difficulty in
The Black Palace
? I'm playing on hard and it's punishing me really badly, not sure if it's my build or what but I'm getting eaten alive.

The main problem is
those mistresses that summon ultra-fast skeletons. I can drop an AOE on the regular ones then kite their skeletons through some more AOE to finish them off. The champions just destroy me though. It's mostly that spell where the 4 green orbs turn into one... then one-shot me.

Am I missing a resistance trick here? I would assume that it's poison, but stacking resistance didn't seem to make a difference; I still got one-shot if I didn't move out of the way quickly enough. Is it just a matter of being fast and avoiding them?

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
2 questions;

- Are Nether Imps a worthy investment?

- What are the property damage figures below a weapon's DPS calculating? For instance, I have two rifles, one doing 440 dps Phys: 40-80; one doing 392 dps Phys: 112-150.

Wes

venison crêpe
Answer to #2: It is the range of damage that that weapon could do upon hit.

ie. the 40-80 weapon. Each swing/fire could do anywhere between 40 and 80 damage.

Kosma

Banned
Anybody else playing as a Vanquisher?

Also is there an option to replay the game on a higher difficulty after you beat it? I'm playing on hard atm. (just on floor 7)

Goddamn the
Blood Disciples in The Black Palace.Their rush Stampede-like move really messes me up.
Also, I lost 10 levels of gameplay. Sucked, but at least my entire character wasn't wrecked.

Ok I downloaded the demo a few days ago, and just purchased it. I've never purchased on Steam before, do I have to download anything else, or will everything "unlock" when i load up the demo?

Bought it, and played for two hours straight. I'm a level 12 magic character (forget the class name). This game rocks, but the lack of online is a bummer.

Kosma

Banned
mysticstylez said:
Ok I downloaded the demo a few days ago, and just purchased it. I've never purchased on Steam before, do I have to download anything else, or will everything "unlock" when i load up the demo?

In torchlights case if you purchase it the game will "unlock" and you will be able to play from where you stopped.

I have been playing this game on my mid-low pc and it defaults the settings to max everything pretty much. The game runs fine but every 10 seconds it chugs for 2-3 seconds, its like clockwork. Is this an HDD problem or something else? Hell, Divx movies do the exact same thing, its not just this game. I will buy a new HDD if this one is crapping out but I dont want to waste money if its not the problem. What do you guys think?

Lion Heart said:
I have been playing this game on my mid-low pc and it defaults the settings to max everything pretty much. The game runs fine but every 10 seconds it chugs for 2-3 seconds, its like clockwork. Is this an HDD problem or something else? Hell, Divx movies do the exact same thing, its not just this game. I will buy a new HDD if this one is crapping out but I dont want to waste money if its not the problem. What do you guys think?

If it pauses right before a fight, it's the game. The devs are aware and are working on a patch that hopefully will be out next week. There's a temporary fix that was mentioned in this thread. Forgot what it was, but its about unzipping and re-zipping a file in the folder.

Fuck it, even without the online I can't say no to $20 for the guys that gave me so much free entertainment with Mythos.

D/L on Steam now.

Masta_Killah said:
If it pauses right before a fight, it's the game. The devs are aware and are working on a patch that hopefully will be out next week. There's a temporary fix that was mentioned in this thread. Forgot what it was, but its about unzipping and re-zipping a file in the folder.

Alright, thats odd. I'll skim through this thread to see what thats about.

Thanks.

Tendo

Is straight summoning an option? Right now at level six they just don't seem powerful even with two points in pet mastery. I want to hang back an cast while they melée. What range spell is recommended?

Tendo said:
Is straight summoning an option? Right now at level six they just don't seem powerful even with two points in pet mastery. I want to hang back an cast while they melée. What range spell is recommended?
I got fed up with summoning because of AI issues (you'll find the post somewhere back in this thread), I never felt that I could depend on them. That said, you'll be happier once you have a golem to fight along with your imps.

I play on Very Hard though, summoning is probably more viable on lower difficulties.

Mihku

Some people are really lucky with enchanting it seems. Haven't enchanted that much, and already had quite a few stat wipes.

Played quite a bit today. The pathfinding of your pet is horrible though, especially in the
lava prison
world. My kitten got stuck behind nearly every corner :/ Also, a bit more variety in enemies would have been welcome. The main thing I don't like are the skill trees, man there are some horrible skills in there. With my vanquisher I can kill everything with explosion shot. I took the hail of arrows at lvl25, and it's super weak compared against the explosion shot. That skill is super overpowered.

Dreavus

Tendo said:

The spell you start with (ember bolts I think it's called? The name escapes me) is actually pretty good; it has nice knockback to keep melee at bay and you end up throwing out up to 4 bolts at once you put more points into it. I'd say stick with that and pet skills until you can learn ember lance, which completely rips everything apart if you have the mana to support it.

I put most of my points into the arcane tree, with a bit of the battle tree for Ember shield and Ember Sentry, and my pet knows a 'summon skeleton' and a 'heal all spell'. I've found that my pet and her skeleton actually tank pretty decently (playing on Hard at the moment) - not incredible, but decent; considering what I've invested into it. This is with no points in pet mastery and no points in any summon skills for my character.

This makes me think that if you had Lore tree summons + Spell summons (skeletons) + pet mastery + gear that improves pet stats, you could build a pretty formidable army. I think once I retire this character, my next one is going to be more minion focused. :D

EDIT: That said, In the early levels of the game specifically, I really have no idea how well it would work. I didn't start using skeleton summons until after I had leveled up quite a bit.

bengraven

- Wanted to keep DW pistols but found a Yellow rifle that did 2x my ranged damage. I went from 265 damage with two pistols to doing 587 damage with my one gun. :D

- Mother fuck, I just blew 5500 on an enchant on one of my Yellow pistols. I'm getting the WORST luck enchanting not only Yellow items, but weapons. Fuck you Torchlight.

Tendo

Dreavus said:
The spell you start with (ember bolts I think it's called? The name escapes me) is actually pretty good; it has nice knockback to keep melee at bay and you end up throwing out up to 4 bolts at once you put more points into it. I'd say stick with that and pet skills until you can learn ember lance, which completely rips everything apart if you have the mana to support it.

I put most of my points into the arcane tree, with a bit of the battle tree for Ember shield and Ember Sentry, and my pet knows a 'summon skeleton' and a 'heal all spell'. I've found that my pet and her skeleton actually tank pretty decently (playing on Hard at the moment) - not incredible, but decent; considering what I've invested into it. This is with no points in pet mastery and no points in any summon skills for my character.

This makes me think that if you had Lore tree summons + Spell summons (skeletons) + pet mastery + gear that improves pet stats, you could build a pretty formidable army. I think once I retire this character, my next one is going to be more minion focused. :D

EDIT: That said, In the early levels of the game specifically, I really have no idea how well it would work. I didn't start using skeleton summons until after I had leveled up quite a bit.
Thanks for the tips. Loving this game so far!

Teknopathetic said:
You are correct, Jim-jam, it is quite a bit harder.
The only real solution I had was to dodge the green projectiles.

Ah well, cheers anyway. Also found that giving your pet the ability to summon a pile of zombies sometimes keeps them distracted enough to not cast at you. Now that I'm more used to it the difficulty seems better. Just requires a bit more care than the early parts of the game to keep from being overwhelmed.

Kosma said:
Anybody else playing as a Vanquisher?

Also is there an option to replay the game on a higher difficulty after you beat it? I'm playing on hard atm. (just on floor 7)

Vanquisher at level 37 now, It's a very fun class. Apparently there's a new game + mode that lets you "retire" your character and create a new version of them to start the game with that's got a nice heirloom item and better starting stats than they normally would, but I can't find anything concrete about it (and want to get back to Torchlight so can't be bothered searching for it :lol ).

Shinjitsu

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
Vanquisher at level 37 now, It's a very fun class. Apparently there's a new game + mode that lets you "retire" your character and create a new version of them to start the game with that's got a nice heirloom item and better starting stats than they normally would, but I can't find anything concrete about it (and want to get back to Torchlight so can't be bothered searching for it :lol ).

You retire a character by talking to a new NPC that appears after you beat the last boss, you give the NPC an item, it is upgraded slightly, your name is added to the item name and the requirements to use the item are lowered. You are then prompted to make a new char, the new character starts with a fame level of one instead of zero and has the heirloom item.

Warning, retired characters are grayed out on the select screen and are no longer playable.

Shinjitsu said:
You retire a character by talking to a new NPC that appears after you beat the last boss, you give the NPC an item, it is upgraded slightly, your name is added to the item name and the requirements to use the item are lowered. You are then prompted to make a new char, the new character starts with a fame level of one instead of zero and has the heirloom item.

Warning, retired characters are grayed out on the select screen and are no longer playable.
It's a loot game. Why would I wanna get rid of one of my dudes? Especially when there's and endless dungeon I can wreck.

If I puchase the game, will it pick up right where the demo left off? I mean, everything I done in the demo will carry into the full game, right?

Top Bottom