• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

tadcalabash said:
Man, the demo to this game is great.

If only Dragon Age wasn't coming out in a few days... otherwise I'd be all over this.

Dude it's 20 bucks, I paid for the game by not eating fast food for a week.

god this is awesome, seriously if this had the genre standard co/op then it would be one of the best games ever. It's just so much more polished than Mythos was, and HOORAY for visuals that don't assault my eyes!

Javaman

Odious Tea said:
It's a loot game. Why would I wanna get rid of one of my dudes? Especially when there's and endless dungeon I can wreck.

Especially since enchanting any item a couple of times would exceed the gain from floating one item over. Hell, gems would probably be more useful on the next playthrough then a heritage item.

hamchan

Thank you Idle Thumbs and GAF for convincing me to get this game because it's freaking awesome. I'm playing on hard and am satisfied with the difficulty since I've already died a couple of times.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
MickeyKnox said:
god this is awesome, seriously if this had the genre standard co/op then it would be one of the best games ever. It's just so much more polished than Mythos was, and HOORAY for visuals that don't assault my eyes!
I think it was a smart business decision, in itself. Release the game for single player and let word-of-mouth spread. Release the MMO a few years later and spread the wealth among your developer brethren.

I imagine if they keep the same gameplay structure for the MMO but open up the game itself in terms of zones/towns/classes/characters, leave subscriptions out of it (hopeful?), and you might just witness the birth of a new black hole.

nubbe

In the game bought maps generates zones with better loot drops and it will be the same in the MMO. But there you'll pay with real money to get better loot drops.

It won't be a big deal if you end up spending €10-20 a month on premium stuff, since it would be a nominal MMO fee. But it could easily get out of control if your greedy.

It would be interesting if they had unlimited enchanting in the MMO for real money. The game would be broken in a few days.

nubbe said:
In the game bought maps generates zones with better loot drops and it will be the same in the MMO. But there you'll pay with real money to get better loot drops.

It won't be a big deal if you end up spending €10-20 a month on premium stuff, since it would be a nominal MMO fee. But it could easily get out of control if your greedy.

It would be interesting if they had unlimited enchanting in the MMO for real money. The game would be broken in a few days.
I'm really hoping they offer a subscription option that comes with a certain amount of stuff included, for people who don't want to dick around with microtransactions. I just hate that shit. I don't care if I end up paying more than I would with that "free to play" nonsense. I just want to pay a flat amount and get it over with. I want to be able to play the game and know I'm already taken care of, I don't want to have to be thinking about how I'm spending a dollar here or fifty cents there, or whether I should or not. God that's unappealing and lame.

markot

Banned
Chris Remo said:
I'm really hoping they offer a subscription option that comes with a certain amount of stuff included, for people who don't want to dick around with microtransactions. I just hate that shit. I don't care if I end up paying more than I would with that "free to play" nonsense. I just want to pay a flat amount and get it over with. I want to be able to play the game and know I'm already taken care of, I don't want to have to be thinking about how I'm spending a dollar here or fifty cents there, or whether I should or not. God that's unappealing and lame.
Agree completely.

Free to play + pay for crap just doesnt work for me. Small monthly fee > any other plan I have seen out there.

Maybe itll change, but every idea for this kind of stuff has been pretty terrible.

Tim-E

At first I was kind of upset about the lack of multiplayer, but once I started the demo I stopped caring. I'll probably buy this when I wake up.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Started playing this game around 8pm tonight.

Now it's 2am and Demon's Souls is feeling very neglected.

What a wonderful little loot fest this is.

My alchemist is pretty bad ass, double-fistin' wands and shit. :lol

Yasser

54-46! said:
Goddam.. it feels like I'm only getting good loot for the classes I'm not playing :lol
Haha yeah this happened to me for hours but a boss finally dropped a blue gun that one or two shots most regular enemies :D

Chris Remo said:

I dunno, that sounds pretty appealing to me, sitting here as I am with a prepaid 6-month WoW sub that I haven't played in a month. Maybe they could rock both systems.

Dreavus

Blast Processing said:
I dunno, that sounds pretty appealing to me, sitting here as I am with a prepaid 6-month WoW sub that I haven't played in a month. Maybe they could rock both systems.

Both probably isn't the best way to go; remember how Hellgate London went down? A number of factors contributed, but I'm pretty sure having an "optional" monthly fee was one of the more prominent reasons for it's downfall.

That said if the Torchlight MMO was coming for a small monthly fee even I would probably sign up... and I'm usually the kind of guy that hates monthly fees of all kinds and sticks to Guild Wars for my MMO's. Hopefully they can pull together a system that works; I'd hate to see the game die off like Mythos did (which I never got to play!)

nubbe

There are some advantages for a "pay when you play" system if it is done right.
Paying €1-2 for XP potions, maps or such could be pretty good if the overall game experience don't suffer because they try to squeeze you for every euro.

I would like a system like that since I work a lot and only have a few hours each week to dive into a game for long periods.

JoeBoy101

After hearing a ton about Torchlight over the past week, and lured by the $20 pricetag, I gave the demo a try last night, when I pre-purchased Dragon Age. And swiftly went back to buy the full game.

You have to be crazy not to buy this game if you are a fan of the genre, simply because it is a $50 game at only $20. A list of some of the really awesome improvements over the Titan Quest / Diablo model (III excluded):

- No clicking on gold, you just run over it.
- You can send your pet back to town to sell a full backpack while you keep fighting
- All the skills are either useful, fun, or both.
- Stylized graphics run well on slower systems, but don't sacrifice some blood or quality
- 'Netbook Mode'
- You can continue your demo character in the main game when bought (MORE games need to do this, its a really cool feature)
- It looks like its in Diablo III, but cool ambush points where spiders stream out of grates, or ratmen pour out of a mine chute.

And this over the nice refinement of the loot distribution and character building. Loving it right now.

BTW, Nether Imps for the Alchemist are hysterical. Going a full Summoner route for him.

Pikelet

Im about lvl 25 or so in the game and having a lot of fun so far but does anyone else feel like the game is way too easy? Im playing the rogue character on hard and all i did was enchant the fuck out of my main crossbow and set the rebound bullet thingy on left click and the explodey fire on on my right click. Now in absolutely any encounter i can one or two hit an entire room of enemies in a tiny amount of time. When i get to bosses my dog and its summoned skeleton act as tanks and i finish the boss off in seconds.

does it get exponentially harder or should i have played on very hard?

Pikelet

i dunno, its not like i looked online for guides or anything, i just assumed it would be a standard strategy such that the game would scale under the assumption that this is what people would do.

Vito

Banned
Bought the game yesterday on their site. Sadly the DRM breaks the game under Wine in linux but uh there are ways to "make it work". Definetly worth the $20, nice art and music alone make it worth it.

Now to go play the game some more and ponder whether or not to double dip for Machinarium box release...

Sectus

Pikelet said:
Im about lvl 25 or so in the game and having a lot of fun so far but does anyone else feel like the game is way too easy? Im playing the rogue character on hard and all i did was enchant the fuck out of my main crossbow and set the rebound bullet thingy on left click and the explodey fire on on my right click. Now in absolutely any encounter i can one or two hit an entire room of enemies in a tiny amount of time. When i get to bosses my dog and its summoned skeleton act as tanks and i finish the boss off in seconds.

does it get exponentially harder or should i have played on very hard?
I hear from lots of people that normal is way too easy. I'm personally playing on very hard (didn't even try other difficulties) and it's rarely been super challenging.

I've also heard that enchanting is overpowered too though.

ACE 1991

I told one of my friends about this game. He proceeded to torrent it, then complained to me that the game wasn't in third person.

We are no longer friends.

Des0lar

will learn eventually
So wait, when I buy this game from the developers HP and DLed the demo with Steam, can I still continue where I left off?

Minsc

Gold Member
Teknopathetic said:
You abused enchanting until it trivialized the game for you.

Still, imo, this should be fixed (quite simply) in a patch. Just make stacking enchantments go up exponentially more in cost then they do now (basically add 4 or 5 more 0s to the end of the price every stack to make it all but unattainable to multi-stack ridiculously), or downright prevent stacking past a couple times.

Diablo 2 never really had a problem quite like this, granted I haven't played Torchlight (my 3D card is a bit screwed up right now), but I plan on getting it soon, and would hope this is addressed.

ACE 1991 said:
I told one of my friends about this game. He proceeded to torrent it, then complained to me that the game wasn't in third person.

you should have punched him when he said torrent. unless it's internet friend only.

It's awesome that the demo data carries onto the full game, but now I feel bad that I skipped all the story stuff :lol who cares. I just want more of that loot.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Minsc said:
Still, imo, this should be fixed (quite simply) in a patch. Just make stacking enchantments go up exponentially more in cost then they do now (basically add 4 or 5 more 0s to the end of the price every stack to make it all but unattainable to multi-stack ridiculously), or downright prevent stacking past a couple times.

Diablo 2 never really had a problem quite like this, granted I haven't played Torchlight (my 3D card is a bit screwed up right now), but I plan on getting it soon, and would hope this is addressed.

Either that, or the more enchantments you put on an item, the more likely it is to wipe out everything. Or negative enchantments, that would slow people down.

Tried the demo, but it ran at like 10 fps on my Samsung NC10 (2gb ram) in net book mode. Am I doing it wrong?

Loved the look and feel of the game, and would instabuy if I could get it to run just a little better.

ToxicAdam

Enchanting just needs to be tweaked a bit. I ran across a weapon (Berserker set piece, Pick) that the price for enchanting only increased marginally for each time I did it. My first 10 enchants were less than 1500 gold.

But I have had other weapons/armor that quickly jump up to 5000 an enchant after just a few.

Each enchant should increase by a factor of 3 or 4.

the games music is pretty damn good but I love playing it with my zombies ate my neighbors or streets of rage albums, 100 times better :lol

Revengeance said:
Tried the demo, but it ran at like 10 fps on my Samsung NC10 (2gb ram) in net book mode. Am I doing it wrong?

Loved the look and feel of the game, and would instabuy if I could get it to run just a little better.
OK, answering my own question here - looks like nobody has really gotten the game playable on a netbook:

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=1387

Probably the upcoming Ion netbooks could handle it, but mine certainly can't.

edit: Apparently there is a patch coming to help netbook users out, but I'll believe it when I see it. Patch thread.

bdouble

ACE 1991 said:

are you upset that he torrented it or no longer friends because he is an idiot and doesn't know what 3rd person means.

ACE 1991

bdouble said:
are you upset that he torrented it or no longer friends because he is an idiot and doesn't know what 3rd person means.

Haha, I was mostly kidding. We are still friends, but he torrented it which is obviously stealing from the fine guys at runic games, and he wanted it to be in 3rd person which is ridiculous for a game like torchlight, which is meant to be played like diablo.

Ulairi

Banned
ACE 1991 said:
Haha, I was mostly kidding. We are still friends, but he torrented it which is obviously stealing from the fine guys at runic games, and he wanted it to be in 3rd person which is ridiculous for a game like torchlight, which is meant to be played like diablo.

It is in 3rd person....

Blackface

Banned
Couple questions for those familiar with the game.

1. Is the loot Dynamic? In other words are the stats on each item randomly generated. Or is the item pre-made like in World of Warcraft.

2. What is the replay value like? Can I continue to run a dungeon to get items, or can I only play until the story is over.

Blackface

Banned
ACE 1991 said:

Wuhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh :lol :lol :lol

Blackface said:
Couple questions for those familiar with the game.

1. Is the loot Dynamic? In other words are the stats on each item randomly generated. Or is the item pre-made like in World of Warcraft.

2. What is the replay value like? Can I continue to run a dungeon to get items, or can I only play until the story is over.
1. Yes, dynamic. You can get two unique items of the same kind with different stats.

2. Infinite dungeon.

ACE 1991

Let me clarify, you probably all think I'm retarded at this point. :lol

I meant he wanted to played it World of Warcraft style, with the camera behind the back, which is quite stupid as these games are meant to be played from an isometric perspective.

FoxSpirit

Kosma said:
Anybody else playing as a Vanquisher?

Also is there an option to replay the game on a higher difficulty after you beat it? I'm playing on hard atm. (just on floor 7)

They'll include an option to switch difficulty mid game in an upcoming patch.

FoxSpirit said:
They'll include an option to switch difficulty mid game in an upcoming patch.

Thank god, I'm playing on Normal and it's WAAAAY too easy. I haven't really messed with enchants much, only because I always end up grabbing more powerful weapons and wasting the enchant.

BTW marksmen is mucho fun, I'm going to make a rogue next.

Tim-E

I just bought this game on Steam. God damn you, GAF. I made it to level 4 (on hard) in the demo last night before deciding I really liked it. If I didn't have to go to work right now, I would be playing more.

On the topic of enchanting; does it really matter if it's broken?

Questions of balance are for multiplayer games. I love the fact that Torchlight gets really over the top, and it's entirely your choice. For example I trivialised a lot of the early part of my new game plus with a crazy unique pistol I handed down. If it got boring I'd just try to take bigger groups of mobs down.

Point is it's your choice. And if all it does is trivialise a bit of singleplayer content is that really a big deal?

Top Bottom