• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

"Point is it's your choice. And if all it does is trivialise a bit of singleplayer content is that really a big deal?"

Only if you're interested in difficulty.

Haunted

I'm way too scared to enchant stuff because someone said it can wipe all your previous enchants.

And it's not like the game forces you to enchant, the game's difficulty is totally fine on Hard and I didn't enchant shit.

Minsc

Gold Member
jim-jam bongs said:
On the topic of enchanting; does it really matter if it's broken?

Questions of balance are for multiplayer games. I love the fact that Torchlight gets really over the top, and it's entirely your choice. For example I trivialised a lot of the early part of my new game plus with a crazy unique pistol I handed down. If it got boring I'd just try to take bigger groups of mobs down.

Point is it's your choice. And if all it does is trivialise a bit of singleplayer content is that really a big deal?

I'd argue a broken system like with the enchanting is devastating for a loot game. Sure, you can just not abuse the enchanting, but knowing that you can build an uber weapon just like that, what's the point of picking up any loot if your equipment can be enchanted to the point it makes all over loot worthless, like in the example on the other page with the person with the exploding arrows which clear groups of enemies and bosses in seconds?

Haunted

Minsc said:
I'd argue a broken system like with the enchanting is devastating for a loot game. Sure, you can just not abuse the enchanting, but knowing that you can build an uber weapon just like that, what's the point of picking up any loot if your equipment can be enchanted to the point it makes all over loot worthless, like in the example on the other page with the person with the exploding arrows which clear groups of enemies and bosses in seconds?
Eh, just treat it like a trainer for unlimited xp/ammo and don't (ab)use the option.

No45

I'm at level 28 (Lost Fortress) with my Destroyer on Hard and I'm finding it great fun. I cut through things really fast, but if I'm not paying attention I can go down just as fast!

I've only taken passive skills from Berserker, and I'm maxing out the Slash Attack when I can:

Slash Attack: 10
Dual Wielding: 10
Adventurer: 10
Critical Strikes: 8
Treasure Hunter: 3

I have a fairly even mix of Strength, Dexterity and Defense (Raising Dexterity only when it seems like I'll need it to equip decent items). The only things I've enchanted so far are through the random shrines.

Loving the game at the moment anyway, it's up with Uncharted 2 and inFAMOUS for my game of the year.

One question, what's the highest gem quality? Is it 'cut', or is there another after that?

No45

Des0lar said:
It might not be automatically carried over (Though I don't see why not), however you could always just backup your savedata (%appdata%\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\save) and restore it to the right location if necessary.

I hope they patch an armoury of sorts into this.

Haunted

No45 said:
One question, what's the highest gem quality? Is it 'cut', or is there another after that?
After cut is polished, then star. Haven't seen anything higher than that so far (lvl 34 Destroyer).

No45

Haunted said:
After cut is polished, then star. Haven't seen anything higher than that so far (lvl 34 Destroyer).
Great, thanks. I'm not going to bother socketing anything until I have it maxed. I'm terrible in these types of games for not enchanting/socketing anyway because I know I'll replace the items soon. :lol

Arozay

Might just be me, but too much loot drops, and yeah I'm compelled to pick it all up (thank god for the pet selling). Maybe I just lucked out with uniques early on making every other item useless.

Teknopathetic said:
"Point is it's your choice. And if all it does is trivialise a bit of singleplayer content is that really a big deal?"

Only if you're interested in difficulty.

Minsc said:

I agree with you guys on difficulty and loot, but as Haunted said it's ultimately still your choice. And as for balance, my first character was insanely overpowered for half the game without enchants because of the first tier vanquisher talent that decreases ranged weapon requirements and a 300 DPS unique pistol with life and mana stealing, which dropped from a low level boss.

I guess I just prefer the option to be crazy overpowered, especially since I plan to start rolling hardcore characters shortly where you actually do need to try to stay well ahead of the curve.

JoeMartin

I can't wait for the option to switch difficulty. I'm on normal mode with a full Arcane Alchemist right now (level 17) and it is WAY easy. I mean roll your face on the keyboard easy. I press my spells, everything near me dies horribly. Also once you get a healing spell for you pet (I LOVE that the AI takes care of casting it) they could pretty much solo the game for you.

taku

jim-jam bongs said:
On the topic of enchanting; does it really matter if it's broken?

Questions of balance are for multiplayer games. I love the fact that Torchlight gets really over the top, and it's entirely your choice. For example I trivialised a lot of the early part of my new game plus with a crazy unique pistol I handed down. If it got boring I'd just try to take bigger groups of mobs down.

Point is it's your choice. And if all it does is trivialise a bit of singleplayer content is that really a big deal?

I totally agree. Although, I recently found out that enchanting your best weapon over and over again can turn into a nightmare once you lose all your enchantments and magic properties on it. That instantly made my game much harder >_>'

taku

Kosma said:
So around which floor did you guys say there is a difficulty spike?

I'm on floor 20 now.

Edit: Floor 21 ;)

I noticed a fair increase of difficulty in "Black Palace" (Floor 30). But that may have had something to do with what I wrote a minute ago :(

taku

ACE 1991 said:
Wow. I really hope that guy finishes that project.
Torchlight MMO will probably be in Beta before his project even becomes playable (and by playable I mean, more features than just running around together and chatting).

ToxicAdam

I wish that late(r) in the game there was a way to add a line to your inventory. Charge something outrageous like 2-3 million to do it.

bdouble

taku said:
Torchlight MMO will probably be in Beta before his project even becomes playable (and by playable I mean, more features than just running around together and chatting).
I think this is the Beta. Well an early one. There will be a Beta with online at some point though.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Minsc said:

It sounds like the important thing with the "brokenness" of Torchlight's enchanting is that the player has to make an active decision to break it.

A lot of single player games probably have some sort of exploitable system in it if you go around digging for them. Doesn't necessarily make the game inherently broken as long as you have to go out of your way to break it yourself.

Haunted

ToxicAdam said:
I wish that late(r) in the game there was a way to add a line to your inventory. Charge something outrageous like 2-3 million to do it.
I wish they'd just get rid of the ridiculous spell/fish tabs and let me use those for my regular inventory. Both are almost always completely empty, but my main inventory is filled up like every 10 minutes.

No45

Am I right in thinking it's best to destroy an item (Assuming it hasn't been heavily modified) for the gem in pretty much any case? Seems a lot harder to get the best cuts of the gems than it is to replace the stats on an item based on my experience.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
No45 said:
Am I right in thinking it's best to destroy an item (Assuming it hasn't been heavily modified) for the gem in pretty much any case? Seems a lot harder to get the best cuts of the gems than it is to replace the stats on an item based on my experience.

Not necessarily. It can be beneficial to put a low level gem in an item sometimes, and if you have an unmatched one it isn't always worth the stash space to wait to find a match for it. If you have a high level gem though and equipment you've outgrown, then it's better to destroy the item.

LaneDS

Haunted said:
I wish they'd just get rid of the ridiculous spell/fish tabs and let me use those for my regular inventory. Both are almost always completely empty, but my main inventory is filled up like every 10 minutes.

That, and maybe a section of the pet's inventory that is for items you don't want it to vendor. As the game progresses I spend more time on inventory management than actually clearing dungeons it feels like (although I've gotten in the habit of not being so OCD about picking stuff up, which helps that problem).

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I've put about an hour into the game, but I'm enjoying it. It's taking a bit of getting used to the general mind-set needed to play. The game really banks on you having played Diablo, and since I haven't, the game isn't being all that helpful in offering explanations as to what each game-system does.

But I'm learning through trial and error, and since Normal isn't all that hard, I'm not fussed. There's something pretty cool about slowly teaching myself how to play a style of game I've never played before.

Yasser said:
has anyone managed to get a complete gear set?

Im still working on it. I have 2 pieces from the dragonslayer set(helm+shield), and 2 from the dream set. I was lucky to get a Berserker spike to drop to complete a 2 item set bonus for the other spike I bought off the vendor(missing 1 more to complete the set). I also have a ton of single purples in my bag.

Edit: Heh, didn't realize I had the berserker belt....so that's one set complete.

Haha, that was awesome.

I was watching the editor tutorial videos linked in the OP (editor looks pretty cool, by the way -- I think I'm gonna have to mess around with that). I watch the first two videos and go back to playing. About five minutes in I kill a phase baddie (hound? I forget) and open a phase portal. Which transports me to the exact level in the editor tutorial. Blew my mind for a minute there.

This game is so good.

I'm playing on hard and just got to floor 17, and it isn't that tough yet. Like, my stash back in town is filled with large health and mana potions. I'm stacking up just incase I need to actually use them. But if I need health, I'll take it from my enemies. Same with mana.

Pikelet

It sounds like the important thing with the "brokenness" of Torchlight's enchanting is that the player has to make an active decision to break it.

A lot of single player games probably have some sort of exploitable system in it if you go around digging for them. Doesn't necessarily make the game inherently broken as long as you have to go out of your way to break it yourself.

I didnt make an active decision to break the game, nor was i looking for exploits. The enchantment system is simply designed badly. I was like level 10 when i enchanted my gun a few times because it was a pretty good weapon and i thought it would be cool. 15 levels later and i haven't come close to dying, despite barely upgrading it since. Honestly i think it would be a better game if they took the enchant merchant out completely and stuck with the enchantment thingos inside the dungeons as well as the gems

Swag

So I just got this off Steam made an Alchemist got to level 7 and realised the game was too easy, so I wanna set it to hard but I don't want to start over, anyway to do this?

And is there an auto attack option anywhere, having to keep clicking an enemy is annoying :lol

Pikelet

So I just got this off Steam made an Alchemist got to level 7 and realised the game was too easy, so I wanna set it to hard but I don't want to start over, anyway to do this?

And is there an auto attack option anywhere, having to keep clicking an enemy is annoying :lol

apparently they are patching it to allow you to change difficulty on the fly soon. And auto attacking? Your basically watching a movie at that point :lol I dunno about the alchemist but i like my aoe attack for my rogue chick because i don't have to search for the tiny hit boxes but instead just go for the general area

epmode

I agree about the enchantment stuff. It's almost broken ATM. I just don't use it much.
Sebulon3k said:
You can wait for the patch since it allows you to change difficulty levels on the fly.
Hold down your button to keep attacking. Hold shift while clicking to stand in place and attack.

Swag

Pikelet said:
apparently they are patching it to allow you to change difficulty on the fly soon. And auto attacking? Your basically watching a movie at that point :lol I dunno about the alchemist but i like my aoe attack for my rogue chick because i don't have to search for the tiny hit boxes but instead just go for the general area

Yeah I guess you have a point, but its annoying hitting the wrong enemy sometimes. Really liking it so far, except for the odd times that I'll cast a spell and it'll go in the complete opposite direction that I'm facing lol.

JoeMartin

I have Rank 10 critical strikes (+120% critical strike damage) and orange shoulders that increases my crit damage by another 80% and a purple helm that increases my ice damage by 25%.

I run around spamming Iceshock (large AOE move that brings everything hit by it to a crawl) and everything dies miserably, not to mention that everything gets slowed to hell, both movement and attack speed, putting me in danger almost never. Not to mention you only have to dump one point into Ember Phase and bam you have an instant infini-range blink with no cooldown.

Alchemist is completely ridiculous, but hey, I'm trucking right though the game.

EDIT: And this game throws more potions at you than your inventory can hold. And to be even more awesome just slot one of your pets spells with All Heal and you never have to worry about healing yourself again.

demon arm

Thank you, dear sirs, for recommending this game which I would have completely ignored otherwise.

My lvl 17 vanquisher is eternally grateful to you.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Idle Thumbs were awesome to pointing me towards this. Lv4 Alchemist playing on easy, but soo fun.

There's so much in this game, I'm in way over my head, but it's great.

Rez said:
The game really banks on you having played Diablo, and since I haven't...

WHAT?!? And you have the best die-hard PC gamer tag on this board... you really should go and get the Battlechest. :D

Pikelet said:
I didnt make an active decision to break the game, nor was i looking for exploits. The enchantment system is simply designed badly. I was like level 10 when i enchanted my gun a few times because it was a pretty good weapon and i thought it would be cool. 15 levels later and i haven't come close to dying, despite barely upgrading it since. Honestly i think it would be a better game if they took the enchant merchant out completely and stuck with the enchantment thingos inside the dungeons as well as the gems

I don't use enchants much at all, except the ones in dungeons. I still think that it's not "broken" per se, but if they were going to change it then I think Minsc's suggestion earlier in the thread about cost scaling the more enchants are added would be a better solution.

kid ness

This game is absolutely ridiculous in quality. I love how the developers put a good amount in the demo to really give a feel of the whole game; that's essentially what sold the game to me. At $20, who wouldn't?

jim-jam bongs said:
WHAT?!? And you have the best die-hard PC gamer tag on this board... you really should go and get the Battlechest. :D
As awesome as Diablo was, it'll probably feel fairly antiquaited going back to it. This game has streamlined so much of it that it'll take some real will to slog through Diablo (or Diablo II). If nothing else, Torchlight has made the wait for Diablo III a little more bearable.

Haunted

LaneDS said:
That, and maybe a section of the pet's inventory that is for items you don't want it to vendor. As the game progresses I spend more time on inventory management than actually clearing dungeons it feels like (although I've gotten in the habit of not being so OCD about picking stuff up, which helps that problem).
Yeah, I've stopped picking up non-magical items (except potions), makes the game flow much better.

JoeBoy101

tadcalabash said:
Wait, can you really dual wield wands? Or are you just special cause you're from the New Hampshire Darkmagics?

Yes, you really can Dual Wield wands. In fact, Alchemists get the skill that Vanquishers and Destroyers do for optimizing Dual Wield builds.

Myself, my Alchemist is a Lore Build (Summoner), gotta love those Steam Golems, so I got one wand and a shield in the other hand. A let my little biddys do the work and just provide them some artillery support.

Top Bottom