• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

pilonv1

The enchanting exploit is weird, I had one item that cost me 13,000 for it's first enchant, but another only cost 300 for the first 7. It just needs to go up exponentially.

magus

No45 said:
One question, what's the highest gem quality? Is it 'cut', or is there another after that?

Cracked, Dull, Discolored, Base, Cut, Polished, Star, Flawless, Perfect, Unique Name

TEN!

Unique Names:

The Infinite Pure-Ember Shard
The Pirate Skull
The Eternal Flow-Ember Shard
The Fire Queen Ember Shard
Etlich's Eyeball
The Grand Depths Ember Shard
The Sea King's Core-Ember Shard
The Earthstar Cold-Ember Shard

Rayven

aka surume
omfg, is there a warning in game that mentions a shrine of enchantment can remove ALL enchantments from an item?!!! balls.

i rage quit

magus

HeartAttackJones said:
omfg, is there a warning in game that mentions a shrine of enchantment can remove ALL enchantments from an item?!!! balls.

i rage quit

No, but they're probably adding a warning. The chance for removal is much lower on shrines compared to the enchanter.

Travis Baldree posted the following on the Runic Games forum:

Thinking of basically showing an 'enchant loss risk' that escalates the more times you enchant, and showing it in the enchantment window.
Basically, the more times you enchant, the higher the risk becomes of total loss -
any thoughts on that?

Right now it is just a flat percentage that doesn't increase.

pilonv1

magus said:
Travis Baldree posted the following on the Runic Games forum:

Right now it is just a flat percentage that doesn't increase.

Perfect, but it needs to scale dramaticaly after the first few enchants.

Where are the enchanting shrines? I think I've only seen one, and even then that was really early on.

Dineren

Banned
I'm really enjoying this so far. I've tried quite a few other games in this genre, but always get bored of them after an hour or so. For some reason that hasn't been the case here, I might actually make it to the end of this one!

Sectus

jim-jam bongs said:
On the topic of enchanting; does it really matter if it's broken?

Questions of balance are for multiplayer games. I love the fact that Torchlight gets really over the top, and it's entirely your choice. For example I trivialised a lot of the early part of my new game plus with a crazy unique pistol I handed down. If it got boring I'd just try to take bigger groups of mobs down.

Point is it's your choice. And if all it does is trivialise a bit of singleplayer content is that really a big deal?
I definitely care. Balance in singleplayer games is very important for me. If there's no challenge, it's usually no fun either.

I don't like having to balance the game myself. I like to improvise and find ways to become better at the game... but it's no fun if I accidentally stumble on something which practically breaks the entire game and makes it ridiculously easy.

Note that I haven't found anything in Torchlight which has done that so far (although I haven't touched enchanting at all yet).

pilonv1 said:
The enchanting exploit is weird, I had one item that cost me 13,000 for it's first enchant, but another only cost 300 for the first 7. It just needs to go up exponentially.
Just wait till you have a bad-ass weapon that looses ALL it's enchantments :(

magus said:
The enchanting shrines are really rare.
I find them pretty often in "maps" bought in stores, actually.

Like, more often than not.

By the way, when you lose your enchantments, do you lose all the enchantments? The item becomes a regular item, no bonuses left at all? Or do you just lose the ones you added through enchanting?

Danne-Danger said:
I find them pretty often in "maps" bought in stores, actually.

Like, more often than not.

By the way, when you lose your enchantments, do you lose all the enchantments? The item becomes a regular item, no bonuses left at all? Or do you just lose the ones you added through enchanting?
ALL of them.

Sectus said:
Note that I haven't found anything in Torchlight which has done that so far (although I haven't touched enchanting at all yet).
The only thing I found was the vanquisher XP exploit but thats about it.

Aptos

Can anyone confirm/deny if I'm encountering a bug?

After I beat
Aldric on the 34th floor and he ran away
my vanquisher's explosion shot just stopped damaging enemies...

EDIT: Yea, it was a bug, I just restarted the game and it fixed it.

Aptos said:
Can anyone confirm/deny if I'm encountering a bug?

After I beat
Aldric on the 34th floor and he ran away
my vanquisher's explosion shot just stopped damaging enemies...
I had the exact same problem literally an hour ago. I just started shooting them normally. I figured they had some kind of extreme resistance. I was still doing a tiny amount of damage, but it was much more effective to just shoot normally.

magus

Chris Remo said:
I had the exact same problem literally an hour ago. I just started shooting them normally. I figured they had some kind of extreme resistance. I was still doing a tiny amount of damage, but it was much more effective to just shoot normally.

Same thing happened to me. It started working again on the final boss though.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jim-jam bongs said:
WHAT?!? And you have the best die-hard PC gamer tag on this board... you really should go and get the Battlechest. :D
I completely missed the Blizzard boat. I'm slowly catching up. I recently played Starcraft (I bought that Battle Chest) and fell in love. I'm expecting Torchlight to be a good lead in to Diablo.

Instro

Anyone know where to find the ingredients to access the horse level?

Getting there through the console labels you a cheater so id rather not do that.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Rez said:
I completely missed the Blizzard boat. I'm slowly catching up. I recently played Starcraft (I bought that Battle Chest) and fell in love. I'm expecting Torchlight to be a good lead in to Diablo.
You are nothing to me! NOTHING!

DJ_Lae

I too can blame (thank) the Idle Thumbs podcast for pushing me over the tipping point. It was nothing but Torchlight walking to the grocery store, walking around the grocery store, and then back home again. Before I even had a chance to put perishables into the fridge I opened up Steam and purchased Torchlight to download immediately.

Glad I did. It's a hell of a lot of fun and probably the best Diablo-like game since, well, Diablo. I'm surprised none of the previous imitators managed to do as good a job as this does, given the relative simplicity of the game mechanics.

DJ_Lae said:
I too can blame (thank) the Idle Thumbs podcast for pushing me over the tipping point. It was nothing but Torchlight walking to the grocery store, walking around the grocery store, and then back home again. Before I even had a chance to put perishables into the fridge I opened up Steam and purchased Torchlight to download immediately.

Glad I did. It's a hell of a lot of fun and probably the best Diablo-like game since, well, Diablo. I'm surprised none of the previous imitators managed to do as good a job as this does, given the relative simplicity of the game mechanics.
Glad to have helped! And I think the reason for what you describe is that, since these games rely so enormously on their mechanics, striking the perfect feel and tone and response is critical. It helps to have pleasing art design like this game does, but if you miss the mark at all mechanically, it just doesn't have the right pull.

No45

magus said:
Cracked, Dull, Discolored, Base, Cut, Polished, Star, Flawless, Perfect, Unique Name

TEN!

Unique Names:

The Pirate Skull
Etlich's Eyeball
Well fuck, now it's going to be days before I can socket anything!

magus said:

TEN!

Unique Names:

The Pirate Skull
Etlich's Eyeball
Oh my god. I've gotten a few up to Star, but christ that's going to take ages. That means the highest level gem is the equivalent of 1,024 cracked gems. God.

Instro said:

Getting there through the console labels you a cheater so id rather not do that.

Check Runic's forum. It's a combination of items that must be transmuted, but I don't remember what they were.

So I'm working on my second toon (alch) and I was pleasantly surprise to see that the Shadow Vault was available. This makes multiple playthroughs less tedious.

No45

Masta_Killah said:
So I'm working on my second toon (alch) and I was pleasantly surprise to see that the Shadow Vault was available. This makes multiple playthroughs less tedious.
What's Shadow Vault?

Instro said:

IIRC, some if not all of the components can come from Fishing...as you CAN get things other than just fish sometimes with it. Probably makes a big difference if you've got some eq with the +fishing luck mod to it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm playing on Normal, and at the moment everything is pretty easy (almost insultingly so, I barely got touched during the Overseer fight). I'm worried that if I ratchet up the difficulty to hard, I'll be forced to actually learn some of the game's subsystems that I've been mostly ignoring for the time being.

Any general tips or advice?

I played on normal for a few hours then restarted on very hard. It didn't really get challenging until floor 25 or so. Now it's actually annoyingly difficult, so I made a third character on hard. This way I should at least be able to share the rare loot between all character classes.

No45 said:
Isn't there an npc that destroys the item but gives you back the gem? Or is there a chance to lose the gem or it goes down in quality?

MickeyKnox said:
ALL of them.
Harsh.

Guess I'll start being more careful. :eek:

Rez said:
I'm playing on Normal, and at the moment everything is pretty easy (almost insultingly so, I barely got touched during the Overseer fight). I'm worried that if I ratchet up the difficulty to hard, I'll be forced to actually learn some of the game's subsystems that I've been mostly ignoring for the time being.

Hard isn't really hard, Very Hard is barely hard. There's aren't really any subsystems to be worried with. You need to avoid being hit, that's about it.

I recommend a higher difficulty so that you'll appreciate good loot more.

ToxicAdam

Rez said:

The next patch is supposed to address this by allowing you to switch difficulty.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
cheers guys! I'll continue forward on Normal and up the difficulty to hard when the patch is released (if I haven't finished my first run through by then).

Javaman

No45 said:

I wouldn't worry about it. Just destroy the item they are socketed in. There's always better items to find/enchant then the one you're currently using.

No45

Javaman said:
I wouldn't worry about it. Just destroy the item they are socketed in. There's always better items to find/enchant then the one you're currently using.
Yeah, to be honest that's my thinking as well. At the moment I haven't gotten anything past the cut stage, although it's possible I've sold some items that had gems already socketed. Damn the lack of inventory spaces and my inability to leave things on the ground. :(

Haunted

magus said:

TEN!
157iwyv.jpg

Verilligo

So yeah, I finally caved and grabbed this last night. I was a huge fan of Fate, though I didn't get an especially long time with it, a limited-use version of it just happened to come with my new laptop. Still, had a great time with what I played and the same has continued here.

Managed to plug my way down to level 9 or so of the dungeon with my shiny Alchemist. Toyed around with a few things, the Enchant merchant is definitely quite the potent force. I tend to only use him a few times per equipment piece, though, mostly due to a lack of funds for financing the enchants. Sort've surprised they removed the negative enchant possibility that was in Fate, that was the primary balancing force there for doing enchants. I suspect at some point the enchant-removal chance will be modded out and the negative enchant chance will be modded in, IMO the better option.

Also, Ember Lance = Shining Laser. Oh so much fun to be had there. :D

Zeliard

I have to agree with whoever said earlier that Ember Lance is way too overpowered. That spell is FAR more powerful and effective than anything you have at that point in the game, and that's with the spell at level 1. They could have fixed that by making it drain a lot more mana than it does, because it barely does. I've had to force myself not to use it since it's basically an auto-win button. I've also not upgraded it at all and probably won't. It already takes out bosses quickly and easily, frequently before they can even get near you.

For a game that's otherwise surprisingly balanced considering it was made in less than a year, the Ember Lance stands out a lot.

Blackface

Banned
Zeliard said:
I have to agree with whoever said earlier that Ember Lance is way too overpowered. That spell is FAR more powerful and effective than anything you have at that point in the game, and that's with the spell at level 1. They could have fixed that by making it drain a lot more mana than it does, because it barely does. I've had to force myself not to use it since it's basically an auto-win button. I've also not upgraded it at all and probably won't. It already takes out bosses quickly and easily, frequently before they can even get near you.

For a game that's otherwise surprisingly balanced considering it was made in less than a year, the Ember Lance stands out a lot.

Apparently it's OP at low levels, but does not scale well by the time you are in the infinite dungeon.

People need to start posting some of the loot they find. Keep this thread going.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Having a blast with my Vanq. Currently mowing down anything on hard at level 22 by basically throwing Flechette Traps ahead of me, laying down zombies as meat shields and then picking off everything with a crit boosted bow. Anything getting close I blast with wind of justice which knocksback and stuns. I feel like a wrecking crew :lol

I am on the final boss of very hard. Got kind of frustrated because when I zoned back to floor 34 and back to 35 one time, boss bugged out and reset (it was at 1/3 health).

I think I will wait for the mod to change the difficulty on the fly because I don't want to play for almost an hour again just to beat the boss.

Top Bottom