• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Blackface said:
Apparently it's OP at low levels, but does not scale well by the time you are in the infinite dungeon.

People need to start posting some of the loot they find. Keep this thread going.
Unfortunately, the loot game has sorta been marginalized by enchanting. :/

Kosma

Banned
Odious Tea said:

Not everybody is abusing the system.

I havent used it at all so far (24 floors down now on Hard).

Kosma

Banned
Ugh I just got my ass kicked by a boss because I didnt pay attention.

On topic:

There is no still about it, its everybodies own choice, but people shouldnt come here and cry the loot is trivialized because of some exploit they use.

Odious Tea said:
I don't think so. I don't find money in this game to be as infinitely plentiful as in, say, Diablo II, since items sell for so little (although I do convert a lot of my greens into gems since I'm stupidly obsessed with transmuting gems), so you can't really enchant the shit out of everything you wear. I'm at level 35 or so now and I still find myself swapping out equipment from time to time, especially with uniques and sets. Mainly I'm enchanting my rings, since most rings are pretty unexciting off the bat, and my gun, which I'm really enjoying playing Russian roulette with as it gets more and more absurdly powerful.

Edit: Just as a note, after doing my gem conversions, I can generally only afford to do one or two enchantments per dungeon level, and sometimes I can't afford to do any if I didn't have much left over to sell after transmuting. They end up getting so expensive that it doesn't feel all that broken to me.

Ourobolus

Banned
Odious Tea said:
I can somewhat see what you're getting at, but enchanting is so damn random (and money isn't exactly THAT abundant...at least it never seems that way for me) that it's got a bit of a tradeoff. The rifle on my Vanquisher costs so much to enchant that it's not worth it a lot of the time, even though I don't seem to be doing all that much damage.

Anyone worried about difficulty, the game ramps up quite a bit when you hit the infinite dungeon. I'm playing on normal and each sub-boss hits harder then a regular boss from the story game(way harder). This is only the first floor too, so I'm not sure if it'll be like this, or if it'll ramp up even more the further I go down.

Masta_Killah said:
Anyone worried about difficulty, the game ramps up quite a bit when you hit the infinite dungeon. I'm playing on normal and each sub-boss hits harder then a regular boss from the story game(way harder). This is only the first floor too, so I'm not sure if it'll be like this, or if it'll ramp up even more the further I go down.
It gets harder. I just cleared floor seven, and I think I've already died as many times in this dungeon as I did in the entire regular campaign.

Johnlenham said:
Wait what? you can break down stuff into gems or am I missing something?
Yeah, four greens or four rares/uniques will produce one random gem. It seems to be at least partially based on your level--earlier on I was producing mainly cracked gems, now I'm getting mainly dull. It's possible it's based on some quality aspect of the items though, since I'm obviously also now finding better items than I was at lower levels.

At this point I pretty much sell all my whites, and transmute all my greens and blues into gems, then sell the remaining greens and blues when I have fewer than four left over. It's the only practical way to build up to the highest-level gems I think. Doing it purely by finding them and buying from Triya would take too long.

ToxicAdam

Money is definitely limited. I am playing on hard and am running out of cash to buy potions (I'm on level 33). In Fate, you could just cozy up to a Fishing Hole and fish for about 30 minutes and get enough loot/rare fish to tide you ever. Now, I am having trouble figuring out how to make some spare cash to finish the game. Do monsters respawn in earlier levels? I've tried those other maps that the trinket girl sells, but the difficulty on those seems even harder than the current level I am on.

Kosma

Banned
Cant imagine that Adam, Im on level 24 with like a 100 HP potions and 60k gold.

Also I just looted this baby, extra 6% magic find mmmmm plus it looks bad ass. I'm at 11% extra magic find now.

2croj8i.jpg

Chris Remo said:
Yeah, four greens or four rares/uniques will produce one random gem. It seems to be at least partially based on your level--earlier on I was producing mainly cracked gems, now I'm getting mainly dull. It's possible it's based on some quality aspect of the items though, since I'm obviously also now finding better items than I was at lower levels.

At this point I pretty much sell all my whites, and transmute all my greens and blues into gems, then sell the remaining greens and blues when I have fewer than four left over. It's the only practical way to build up to the highest-level gems I think. Doing it purely by finding them and buying from Triya would take too long.

:eek: I did not know that. Will try it out later. Only have one Star gem and a few the level below that from mixing ones I find together.

Anyone who wants a fix to ember lance, there's a mod that fixes it. Here

Not sure if it has been tested though, so make sure to read the forum to make sure it doesn't label you a cheater.

magus

Masta_Killah said:
Anyone who wants a fix to ember lance, there's a mod that fixes it. Here

Not sure if it has been tested though, so make sure to read the forum to make sure it doesn't label you a cheater.

they are making balance fixes to ember lance in the patch.

Kosma said:

Also I just looted this baby, extra 6% magic find mmmmm plus it looks bad ass. I'm at 11% extra magic find now.
What are you spending that money on though? You can burn through 60k really quickly if you're stacking enchantments, since enchanting a single item gets more expensive each time.

Ourobolus

Banned
Wow, I'm definitely going home and transmuting greens into gems. It's not like I'm making a hell of a lot of money from the items anyway.

Anyone have any tips for getting some gold in the game, or is it really that slow throughout (I'm level 24 right now, on about floor 19).

Kosma

Banned
Chris Remo said:
What are you spending that money on though? You can burn through 60k really quickly if you're stacking enchantments, since enchanting a single item gets more expensive each time.

Not spending it on anything really atm. Sometimes I buy a weapon or a spell though.

ToxicAdam

Kosma said:

yea, that's about the time I got my enchanting/gambling jones. I just wasn't getting enough drops that were significantly increasing my DPS/armor so I had to spend my money.

Then by the time I hit the Palace, I was plowing through 20-40 pots for each level of the dungeon.

Blackface said:
Apparently it's OP at low levels, but does not scale well by the time you are in the infinite dungeon.

People need to start posting some of the loot they find. Keep this thread going.

Here's some screens...
vmvprd.png

4 pieces of the dragonslayer set- Helm, shoulders, chest, and shield
2hz0oz9.png

My gold and purple collection :D
o0zal1.png

forgeforsaken said:
Did anyone else find the Sword of Adam yet?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c345/forgeforsaken/posts/adam.png[IMG]

It makes random crazy noises, and yes one of them is wizaaaards![/QUOTE]

:lol wtf. I like the emotional dmg stat... :lol

No45

Kosma said:
Heh, just you wait. I was selling potions like nobody's business up until level 30... I'm buying them back now! >_<

Blackface said:
I mentioned a couple of pages back that it would be great to see an armoury of sorts for this so that we can see who has what (And who's playing the system).

Here's some of me at the moment:

Skills/Stats

2vwgxgj.jpg
16gajbp.jpg
2uz72b7.jpg

2poz8dk.jpg

Nothing too exciting. :)

JoeMartin

Okay so I didn't take Ember Lance until after I had beaten the main quest, but OMGWTF overpowered.

+149% fire damage (70% from Rank 10 Elemental Overload, 79% from items), +200% crit damage (120% from Rank 10 Crit Strikes, 80% from items) and you clear rooms in seconds. Bosses melt just as quick.

Aptos

Did anyone find that
the final levels in Ordrak's Palace
were super hard because
the casters that shoot the 5 poison darts
would just one shot you?

I instantly died every time I ran into one of them and they got that cast off :(

Yeah, Aptos. You pretty much need to be very aware of them and dodge.

"What the hell is it referencing."

Adam Perin, one of the devs at Runic. I'm pretty sure he's also the one doing the voiceover for it.

Aptos said:
Did anyone find that
were super hard because
would just one shot you?

I instantly died every time I ran into one of them and they got that cast off :(
They are quite aggravating but I can charge in and spam Slash and kill the buggers quick. Mass groups of dragonkin are worse for me I find.

ToxicAdam

Aptos said:
Did anyone find that
were super hard because
would just one shot you?

Yes, you have to be very mindful of them. They are pretty easy to dodge (or at least, only get hit by 2 of them) if you are heads up. I used my rush attack to get past them and quickly dispatch her.

It was a pain when you would aggro them while you are flailing away at a boss character. You're focused on when to spam your potion, and then all of those poison balls nail you.

BeeDog

Alright, I've just discovered this game, and while I don't know much about it, it has piqued my interest. Back in the days I really liked Diablo 2 and the Dungeon Siege games, though I wasn't that proficient in those games. I assume this game is highly reminding of those, correct? In what way does it differentiate itself?

Also, how repetitive is this game? I like my loot games, but if there aren't good quests and a lot of bosses and minibosses, I'm afraid I'll lose interest fast. Hopefully it's very similar to Diablo 2 here. Sorry if this stuff has been asked, and thanks in advance.

(Off-topic: speaking of loot/hack 'n' slash games, there's this OLD looting game I really loved. If I remember correctly, it was one of the first dungeon crawlers which had randomized dungeons, and it was in 3D, very good-looking at the time. It wasn't super-famous though. I don't have many more details unfortunately, but I hope someone might remember. :D )

Kosma

Banned
Man Runic should totally ditch that MMO idea and use the funding they got from this to release Torchlight 2 (or an expansion pack) next year. Diablo still won't be here and the hunger will be big. They can use the same engine, add multi, add more of a story etc. Just expand on the gem they already have.

Hawk SE

So useful, I just used that at lunch to respec.

Is there a mod to change the difficulty mid-game or is that an actual patch coming?

datamage

Hawk xSx said:
So useful, I just used that at lunch to respec.

Is there a mod to change the difficulty mid-game or is that an actual patch coming?

Next patch will allow you to change difficulty mid-game.

BeeDog said:
Alright, I've just discovered this game, and while I don't know much about it, it has piqued my interest. Back in the days I really liked Diablo 2 and the Dungeon Siege games, though I wasn't that proficient in those games. I assume this game is highly reminding of those, correct? In what way does it differentiate itself?

Also, how repetitive is this game? I like my loot games, but if there aren't good quests and a lot of bosses and minibosses, I'm afraid I'll lose interest fast. Hopefully it's very similar to Diablo 2 here. Sorry if this stuff has been asked, and thanks in advance.

(Off-topic: speaking of loot/hack 'n' slash games, there's this OLD looting game I really loved. If I remember correctly, it was one of the first dungeon crawlers which had randomized dungeons, and it was in 3D, very good-looking at the time. It wasn't super-famous though. I don't have many more details unfortunately, but I hope someone might remember. :D )
It's more like Diablo than Diablo II. You're more doing quests while tunneling down through a vertical dungeon, rather than being spread out more broadly across interconnected horizontal land masses. There's a demo, just give it a try.

BeeDog

Oh! Didn't notice there was a demo available, thanks for enlightening me.

PS. Figured out the game I was asking the name for, it was Darkstone. :D

Hawk SE

datamage said:
Next patch will allow you to change difficulty mid-game.

Cool, well depending when that happens I might just retire my current character if he finishes and build a new one on a higher difficulty and maybe go higher

Currently on Normal, barely taking scratches, only when swarmed.

bengraven

Man, I do wish there was a bit of outside environments like in D2. When I saw that graveyard, the broken bridge, and the mine tracks, I was like "woot, I'll be crossing that river, fighting in that graveyard and going down into that mine!"

More like 1 of the 3.

Defcon

Banned
After beating the game on Hard with my Vanquisher, I've started a Destroyer on Very Hard and it's challenging from the get go. I didn't even die on my Vanq until around floor 30. Explosive Shot is extremely OP.

Liking the Destroyer so far but I have to buy a ton of health pots.

ToxicAdam

Has anyone (Destroyers in particular) experimented with what spells you can use with your pet? I have mine equipped with a summons spell/elemental protection spell. I wonder if I equipped him with a HEAL ALL spell he would use it a lot?

PhatSaqs

Banned
ToxicAdam said:
Has anyone (Destroyers in particular) experimented with what spells you can use with your pet? I have mine equipped with a summons spell/elemental protection spell. I wonder if I equipped him with a HEAL ALL spell he would use it a lot?
Yes he will.

Kosma

Banned
PhatSaqs said:
Yes he will.

It has a 30 sec cooldown, so its nice but nothing amazing. Often I find myself just waiting on my dog to heal me, but he wont.

Defcon said:
After beating the game on Hard with my Vanquisher, I've started a Destroyer on Very Hard and it's challenging from the get go. I didn't even die on my Vanq until around floor 30. Explosive Shot is extremely OP.

How is the Wall of Arrows thingy? I'm not putting many points into Explosive Shot because Im saving for it.

Died like 5 times already on Hard up till lvl 25 :_( , I really need to pay attention more

Oh man, the new game plus is just awesome. I've rolled the same character, but am trying a lower DPS build with considerably more defense, and playing on very hard. Having the infinite dungeon open all the time means you can just bounce back and forth between the shadow vault, the main story dungeon and the various portal dungeons and make sure you're as hardy as possible when you're taking on the rough patches.

One more play through with this character, and a couple more uniques, and then they're going hardcore.

edit:

Kosma said:
How is the Wall of Arrows thingy? I'm not putting many points into Explosive Shot because Im saving for it.

My first Vanquisher was all about Hail of Arrows. Wind of Justice for knockback, then kite them through your sea of arrow pain. Pretty sure it's physical damage, and most mobs in the game seem to have a lower AC but a high resistance or two which makes it a good choice.

No45

Kosma said:
It has a 30 sec cooldown, so its nice but nothing amazing. Often I find myself just waiting on my dog to heal me, but he wont.
Yeah I equipped mine with a heal all spell tonight, I'm not terribly impressed at the moment. Struggling to find any great use for my pet at the moment other than for the added inventory.

Aptos

No45 said:
Struggling to find any great use for my pet at the moment other than for the added inventory.

I have my pet use summon spells, seems like a great fit as a Vanquisher. I stand back and let my pet and his minions grab all the aggro and tank for me.

steadfast

No45 said:
Yeah I equipped mine with a heal all spell tonight, I'm not terribly impressed at the moment. Struggling to find any great use for my pet at the moment other than for the added inventory.

Feed it fish and then it gets awesome.

Top Bottom