• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

ToxicAdam said:
Has anyone (Destroyers in particular) experimented with what spells you can use with your pet? I have mine equipped with a summons spell/elemental protection spell. I wonder if I equipped him with a HEAL ALL spell he would use it a lot?

Damn. That's a good idea to give the pet the heal all spell.

Chris Remo said:
Mine has Heal All VI right now, and it's working out well.

yeah, I saw a Heal All IV at the shop for 2000-some and passed on it thinking I could be fine with my Heal III spell (I only use it between battles) and didn't feel the need to upgrade. My Dog mostly just summons creatures for me. Now I have to decide if skeleton archers are better or regular skeleton warriors.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
skele archers!

i personally use them when i see a group of enemies coming at me. the archers draw all the monsters and i can just sit back and take them out with ease.

bdouble

I'm rocking 2 heal all spells on my pet right now (works as long as they are different levels). No need for pots in between a battle.

Kuro Madoushi said:
skele archers!

i personally use them when i see a group of enemies coming at me. the archers draw all the monsters and i can just sit back and take them out with ease.
If you can get summon zombies they also drain health to you while they infuriate champions.

One thing that I miss from D2 is random champion effects. The only real difference between the champions of the same type in Torchlight is the names. It would be nice to suddenly have a tough fight on your hands because that named gobllin chanter is extra fast and releases lightning bolts when struck.

Linkzg said:
yeah, I saw a Heal All IV at the shop for 2000-some and passed on it thinking I could be fine with my Heal III spell (I only use it between battles) and didn't feel the need to upgrade. My Dog mostly just summons creatures for me. Now I have to decide if skeleton archers are better or regular skeleton warriors.

Skeleton warriors for me. Archers are cool, but they don't move after being spawned. The caster can cast 2 skeleton warriors with the higher level scrolls and they follow the caster around.

I got rid of the skeleton warrs though and got this instead-

10312009_104734523.png

Around 5-6k with max barter. Doesn't do a ton of damage, but the bees do go out and search out enemies.

Has Runic given any indication as to how much it's sold? I thought it was gonna be a sleeper hit, but just for kicks I checked Steam's top sellers list and it's still holding pretty strong at #7.

rodvik

Linkzg said:

Same. My Cat summons Archers and a Skele, I summon Golem plus Imps.

During battle I just heal or if a click is required use the blast spell/wand.

Incidentally this is a good laptop touchpad build. relatively low keyboard to mouse input required.

Are there any mods to make it easier to track the summons my alchemist puts out? The little blue goblins are impossible to keep track of. I wish there was an indicator showing how many summons I have out like in Diablo 2.

Also, does anyone know if summons summoned by my pet are affected by my Summon Mastery skill? I sure hope so.

Bisonian

Danne-Danger said:
Any idea where I can find my save files? I'm about to format my Steam drive but I can't see a save folder anywhere.

Not sure if it's the same for XP but on Vista/Win7 it's:
x:\Users\<YOUR NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Runic Games\Torchlight\Save

Note that you need to have the option for Windows on to Show Hidden Files and Folders. You should see files for your characters and your shared stash(es). May just want to grab the whole directory (the Torchlight one) and keep your settings as well, it's very small.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Oh, one more question. Are there permanent transformation fish in this game like there were in Fate?

Yeah, but they are very rare. "Big" versions of Fish will give you a one hour buff, and "Giant" will give you a permanent transform. I would assume that items with +% Fishing Luck will help you find them, and yes they do exist.

Bisonian said:
Not sure if it's the same for XP but on Vista/Win7 it's:
x:\Users\<YOUR NAME>\AppData\Roaming\Runic Games\Torchlight\Save

Note that you need to have the option for Windows on to Show Hidden Files and Folders. You should see files for your characters and your shared stash(es). May just want to grab the whole directory (the Torchlight one) and keep your settings as well, it's very small.
Found it, thanks!

JoeMartin

Yeah my only qualm with the whole experience was the was that they made such a huge deal about Ember corrupting people and how OHGAD YOU'RE CORRUPTED TOO only you never see anything adverse come of the corruption, nor does it have any affect on the story or gameplay aside from being repeatedly mentioned.

Not to mention the chick gets interrupted while "cleansing" you, and after you rescue her she just completely forgets about cleaning you up while continuing to ramble about the corruption. Which does absolutely nothing.

I love this game and I don't even have it yet. I've been playing the demo and seeing how far I can go. I've been buying the scrolls to the random dungeons and enchanting the same items over and over again. Also, I don't know if they capped the fame level. If not, that may extend my playtime on the demo considerable. Of course as soon as I have money to spare I'm going to buy it. This is my game of the year.

No45

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Oh, one more question. Are there permanent transformation fish in this game like there were in Fate?
Only one I've seen is the one at the general merchant that will change your dog into a cat and vice versa.

Zzoram

JoeMartin said:
Yeah my only qualm with the whole experience was the was that they made such a huge deal about Ember corrupting people and how OHGAD YOU'RE CORRUPTED TOO only you never see anything adverse come of the corruption, nor does it have any affect on the story or gameplay aside from being repeatedly mentioned.

Not to mention the chick gets interrupted while "cleansing" you, and after you rescue her she just completely forgets about cleaning you up while continuing to ramble about the corruption. Which does absolutely nothing.

That sounds exactly like the kind of story telling I hate.

Dreavus

Anyone else run into this weird graphical bug?:

TL_Dreavus42.jpg

Check out the staff. It might be hard to see but the texturing is messed up on it. This is the only item I've seen so far that looks like this. It sucks because it's my best staff right now. :p

taku

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I can confirm this. I caught a "Giant Fire Fish" yesterday or whatever it was called and changed my little pet permanently into a Fire Elemental (glorious!).

taku

Chromax said:
Are fishing pool based on levels? or can I fish up everything if I'm lucky from a floor 3 fishing pool?
There must be some kind of increased chance of finding things because I only get crappy fish/stuff when fishing in town or early floors compared to when I'm further down dungeons when I always get those "fish gems", unidentified armor and better fish in general.

ToxicAdam

We are making an MMO version, due out in about two years.

Not that I care about the MMO version, but thought that was interesting.

---

I beat the game last night. Got past my "hump" (no cash, potion munching) and finished the game pretty easily. Even the last Boss (on hard) took about 5-6 minutes. I ended with around 20 deaths.

The bonus dungeon is nice, but I wonder how long it will hold my attention. I don't really see a need to max out my character (only level 38 now). I was lucky and found an Enchant podium on my first two levels. A few fishing holes, too.

markot

Banned
BobFromPikeCreek said:
Holy crap. Ember Lance really wrecks shit up. It's pretty overpowered.
Hmm. I skipped that talent >.<

I like the aoe firethingy, the lightning cause it jumps to several enemies, and the final talent cause it does alot of small aoe dmg.

But I also got tonnnnnnes of minions ^_^

imprecise!

Neo Member
I can't see any reason to use staffs over wands right now. Every time I try one I go out-of-mana super fast without a free ranged attack and quickly go back to dual wielding wands. My alchemist is only level 12 though, maybe staffs later on have better bonuses to make them worthwhile?

Also, I was totally planning my build around ember lance but now that I keep hearing how broken it is I kind of want to go a different direction ;\

Still nothing, damn games getting on my nerves now as im at level 11 of infinite dungeon and im still using weapons from 15 levels ago. Random merchant gives me a unique axe seven frickin levels higher than me and a bunch of crappy blues an greens, now im broke and dry of potions..

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
markot said:
But I also got tonnnnnnes of minions ^_^
Hell yeah, minions and zombies. Too bad you can't have zombie minions :( (you can't, can you?)

Eagerly waiting for level 25 and the laser Bender, level 6 regular Bender is already pretty nice.

JoeMartin

Yeah no one listens when I say it. Ember Lance is fucking ridiculous. It clears rooms in and of itself, but stack crit/crit damage gear and percentage based fire gear (on top of Elemental Overload) and it becomes a walk in the park.

Musashi Wins!

FLAWLESS VICTOLY!
This is...so addictive. Diablo levels of addictive. PC has swooped in and stolen my year. I had no idea something like this could still feel so fresh.

imprecise!

Neo Member
Holy shit, dual wielding these on my alchemist is ridiculous:

2q3asd1.jpg

My mana goes from 0 to full in a matter of seconds, they knock back enemies AND heal me.

Basically I use maxed out iceshock to slow, ember lance until I'm low on mana, then fill it back up and heal by firing away with these bad boys. Feeling pretty unstoppable right now.

Zaptruder

Banned
Really enjoying the hell out of this game, but it's ridiculously easy!

At least on hard mode... the next character I'm playing is v.hard on hardcore.

Maybe it's just the character I'm playing though?

Vanquisher? I've basically got two skills; Ricochet and Explosion... with passives in +damage and +crit.

I'm pulling off 5000+ crits extremely regularly @ level 25, instantly killing any enemy, except bosses, and even my non-crits only require one or two shots to kill... and they're quite significant AOE attacks as well.

The biggest challenge I'm facing is when the screen gets a bit messy, and I misidentify mobs beating on me as my own minions... and corners and doodads. Goddamn corners and doodads keep blocking my shots.

imprecise!

Neo Member
Zaptruder said:
Really enjoying the hell out of this game, but it's ridiculously easy!

At least on hard mode... the next character I'm playing is v.hard on hardcore.

Pretty much what you said. I played 3 hours on normal before starting over on hard. Now I'm level 19 and the game is still super easy. I guess it doesn't help that I ended up taking ember lance, but honestly even my iceshock spell--which has snare and aoe damage--nukes most things down in seconds. I think the game's just easy if you have any idea what you're doing.

No45

imprecise! said:
Pretty much what you said. I played 3 hours on normal before starting over on hard. Now I'm level 19 and the game is still super easy. I guess it doesn't help that I ended up taking ember lance, but honestly even my iceshock spell--which has snare and aoe damage--nukes most things down in seconds. I think the game's just easy if you have any idea what you're doing.
The game spikes pretty dramatically at floor 30, which is a shame as it's fairly near to the end of the main game. I've also found the Hatch missions reasonably challenging on hard.

I've completed the main quest now on my Destroyer. Not sure whether to go through the Shadow Vault with that character for more loot-whoring or start up a different build and see how the Alchemist/Vanquisher plays.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Is there any resource with the effects of the various fishes on the pet? 'cause it's all fun but the pet interface seems pretty broken (e.g. stays at 0-0 ranged and elemental damages when the pet is an Ice elemental… which uses almost only ranged attacks and some kind of big comet spell-type attack).

Knowing the special attacks of the various fishes/mobs would also be nifty, as that's not displayed either.

Anyway, the Tunnel Shark (Burrower transformation) is a monster tank, a lvl20 pet (1536HP) gets 5760 HP, no change in attack or armor ratings and a special mass lightning attack. Pretty fun.

Oh, and running through mob villages to spawn everything out is very dumb, I should stop doing it.

Zaptruder

Banned
No45 said:
The game spikes pretty dramatically at floor 30, which is a shame as it's fairly near to the end of the main game. I've also found the Hatch missions reasonably challenging on hard.

I've completed the main quest now on my Destroyer. Not sure whether to go through the Shadow Vault with that character for more loot-whoring or start up a different build and see how the Alchemist/Vanquisher plays.

The difficulty spike between Hard and Very Hard is pretty dramatic.

I did as I said... played V.Hard hardcore... on a destroyer. Died @ level 6! hahahaah...

Also played a Vanquisher on V.Hard hardcore... and it's a bit easier, but still pretty hard. The biggest difference is that you can manage damage much better. When you're in melee, you pretty much have to take all the hits.

I think the Vanquisher definetly is the easiest class to play with though... the skill combo I was talking about in the post above is truly devastating.

I think the sweet spot for difficulty is Hard + hardcore... I died once on my Hard Vanquisher (without hardcore) due to a bit of carelessness, so it's not like I can't die in that mode...

ToxicAdam

I'm finding that the "Level 20-???" maps that the trinket girl sells are a better way to earn money/loot than the Shadow Vault. Gold drops are more plentiful, you have a better chance of finding level appropriate loot and usually there are 3-4 gems on each level. The only thing you miss out on is the random enchantment shrines that seem more prevalent in the Vault.

You know who the most annoying monsters are? Those elemental wisps. They spam you with their projectiles and it's hard to track where the hell they go.

No45

ToxicAdam said:
You know who the most annoying monsters are? Those elemental wisps. They spam you with their projectiles and it's hard to track where the hell they go.
The thing that kills me more than any other in this game is my inability to properly target the main threats when it gets too hectic. :lol

Seires

Chris_C said:
Can anyone tell me if the game supports the 360 controller for PC?

http://switchbladepro.com/

I would suggest giving that a shot. It's been a while since I used it, so I make no promises at this point ;) I tried it a while back for WoW and it really just remaps keys onto the pad and the mouse onto the right analog stick. Has a fairly simple interface for customizing stuff too.

This would mean that you are using the right analog to move your cursor and then click to move, so I'm not sure that it would really be effective, at least not in the way you probably want it to be. (Analog for movement I imagine)

I'll download it and fiddle with it when I get home tonight, just to see how it works out anyway :)

*Edit* Hmmm, yea. That one isn't free... maybe it was in beta when I tried it, but I certainly didn't pay for it. May have been a different App, I'll keep looking.

Chris_C

Cheeto said:
The game mechanics are pretty much, "point and click"...so not really.

Gotcha, thanks.

Seires said:
http://switchbladepro.com/

I would suggest giving that a shot. It's been a while since I used it, so I make no promises at this point ;) I tried it a while back for WoW and it really just remaps keys onto the pad and the mouse onto the right analog stick. Has a fairly simple interface for customizing stuff too.

This would mean that you are using the right analog to move your cursor and then click to move, so I'm not sure that it would really be effective, at least not in the way you probably want it to be. (Analog for movement I imagine)

I'll download it and fiddle with it when I get home tonight, just to see how it works out anyway :)

*Edit* Hmmm, yea. That one isn't free... maybe it was in beta when I tried it, but I certainly didn't pay for it. May have been a different App, I'll keep looking.

Thanks, I appreciate the effort, but I've come to accept that if a game isn't designed with the controller in mind, shoehorning it in with Switchblade or Xpadder just doesn't feel right for me. I'll probably still end up getting Torchlight though, it looks so pretty.

Does it ever get to a point where the need to upgrade your gear slows down? I'm hesitant to start blowing gems and enchantments on my stuff when I'll probably toss it after a bit anyway.

Anyway, this game is awesome. I'm finally starting to understand why people love Diablo so much -- I could never get into those games. I'm not sure exactly what about Torchlight makes me prefer it, but it's probably some combination of the art style, story, and streamlining of some systems. Regardless, I'm about 30 levels in and have no intention of stopping. I imagine between replaying the other two classes and seeing what the modding community accomplishes, I could be playing this for a while.

Top Bottom