• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Zeliard

Fallout-NL said:
702682133_WHS2N-L.jpg

:lol

That dog really is a thieving whore.

That's why I'm using the cat.

God, it's preposterous how much better an artist Gabe has become over the years.

Also I was talking to someone the other day about the possibility of a "drug addict dog" mod that introduces a random chance he will spend all your loot money on his habit after being sent back to town.

datamage

Perhaps when people start creating stuff for Torchlight, they can re-create some of the WoW dungeons, with WoW loot. You know, for kicks. :lol

scoobs

man this game is addictive, totally captures what made Diablo so fun. Just wish there was coop, then this would be a potential GOTY. Anyways, really loving it... if you haven't caved in and bought by now you should.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Remo, someone over on the Torchlight forums decided to start Heirlooming gems.

The Infinite Pure-Ember Shard
+49 Damage
+34 Armor

Heirloom level 1:
+142 Damage
+63 Armor

Heirloom level 2:
+415 Damage
+119 Armor

Heirloom level 3:
+1218 Damage
+223 Armor

Heirloom level 4:
+3577 Damage
+416 Armor

Heirloom level 5:
+10503 Damage
+778 Armor

23h96ch.jpg

Just more reason for you to hoard those gems. But seriously, the ability to abuse the system in this game is outrageous.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Dammit, my cat sold all of the big fishes I'd caught, I should've tried it with worthless crap first
aidan said:

23h96ch.jpg

Just more reason for you to hoard those gems. But seriously, the ability to abuse the system in this game is outrageous.
holy…

rohlfinator said:
Does it ever get to a point where the need to upgrade your gear slows down? I'm hesitant to start blowing gems and enchantments on my stuff when I'll probably toss it after a bit anyway.

You can take it over ot the goblin folk and they will either:
Smash up the item and get the gem back.
Or
Smash the gem giving you an empty slot for your armour.

I was about to play CoD4 but maybe ill fire this up for half hour or so.....:lol

leela

Neo Member
"Just more reason for you to hoard those gems. But seriously, the ability to abuse the system in this game is outrageous."

Sounds like a lot of the stuff is going to get axed in the next patch or two.

Johnlenham said:
You can take it over ot the goblin folk and they will either:
Smash up the item and get the gem back.
Or
Smash the gem giving you an empty slot for your armour.
Ah, thanks. I was wondering what those dudes were for. The voice clip for the one on the left always reminds me of a Shawn Elliott character. :lol

Masklinn

leela said:
"Just more reason for you to hoard those gems. But seriously, the ability to abuse the system in this game is outrageous."

Sounds like a lot of the stuff is going to get axed in the next patch or two.
Why? I mean since the game is single-player, at best these abuses ruin the game for the people using them, it's not like it annoys anybody.

modeps

Neo Member
Hey guys, our podcast will be talking to several of the developers and folks behind Torchlight tomorrow... Got any questions you want answered? Now's the time to ask them and I'll try to work them in.

So, I had this gold Mace with 400+ dps and a lot of extras and for some stupid reason I went to town and wanted to "ENCHANT" it...guess what happened...the weapon lost all the extra modification and it only does 100dps :(. Bullshit, I'm never going to the Enchanter again.
*cries*

Des0lar

will learn eventually
modeps said:
Hey guys, our podcast will be talking to several of the developers and folks behind Torchlight tomorrow... Got any questions you want answered? Now's the time to ask them and I'll try to work them in.

Coop in the forseeable future? Gems/Enchant fix?
More dungeons coming? (Free ala TF2 style or do we gonna have to pay?)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Just picked this up for a nice lunch break game to have at work, and yeah, this is gonna work out really well.

Very much enjoying it. Very pure.

No45

So I've just managed to sell (Via my trusty hound I think) a quest item (One of the "Kill X and get X from him" items in the Shadow Vault) - anyone know if there's a way to recover it?

modeps said:
I'd love to know what plans they have for DLC if any. I'd like a bigger variety of tilesets (What's there is great, just would like more) and a full level map would make knowing where I've been much easier. Also... is there a way to recover sold quest items? :p

ToxicAdam

modeps said:

Ask them if they are going to flesh out weapons/armor (sets, uniques, etc) for levels 33 and above. Or if they intended for enchanting/heirlooms to be the primary method of increasing your stats later in the game.

Also ask them how they would feel if someone created a co-op mod for the game. Would they be upset about it?

aidan said:

Hahaha, holy shit. That's amazing.

I don't really mind, though. I mean the amount of effort you need to go to to work up to the unique gem, then use your only-once-per-playthrough heirloom ability just to level it up one more time, makes me think that person deserves a game-breaking item for bothering. It's not like you can just bust out a top-tier gem for a few thousand gold like you can with a regular enchant.

DaFish

No45 said:
So I've just managed to sell (Via my trusty hound I think) a quest item (One of the "Kill X and get X from him" items in the Shadow Vault) - anyone know if there's a way to recover it?

You're able to buy back items from the buyer... But I'm not sure which tab the quest item would be under...? Did your pet sell it?

No45

DaFish said:
You're able to buy back items from the buyer... But I'm not sure which tab the quest item would be under...? Did your pet sell it?
Yeah I think so. There was an item at the general vendor with the same name but it wasn't marked as the quest item - bought it to give it a try but the quest question mark wasn't gold. I'll check all of the vendors and see.

No45 said:
Yeah I think so. There was an item at the general vendor with the same name but it wasn' marked as the quest item - bought it to give it a try but the quest question mark wasn't gold. I'll check all of the vendors and see.
I think I did this with the very first shadow dungeon kill quest, the "Gar" one. I've still never fixed it. I can't get level 1 to repopulate. So I'm on level 11 or something now and I'm just doing the quests for the wizard and that fish girl or whatever she is.

No45

Chris Remo said:
I think I did this with the very first shadow dungeon kill quest, the "Gar" one. I've still never fixed it. I can't get level 1 to repopulate. So I'm on level 11 or something now and I'm just doing the quests for the wizard and that fish girl or whatever she is.
Yeah, same guy (Although it was the floor five item). I'm so used to just shift+clicking every white item in the game. >_<

Jinaar

/\

I did that on level 2 SHADOW VAULT, sold the EPIC RAPIER by accident. Just abandon the quest and it will just start with the next one in queue.

modeps said:

ToxicAdam said:
Ask them if they are going to flesh out weapons/armor (sets, uniques, etc) for levels 33 and above. Or if they intended for enchanting/heirlooms to be the primary method of increasing your stats later in the game.

This one for me too. I was thinking the other day that each time you retire the same character in sequence you should get an extra skill point again. So the 2nd time they're retired you start the game with 2 skill points up to a maximum of say 10. Gives repeated plays much more meaning if you improve each time.

Des0lar said:
Coop in the forseeable future?

Not definitive but Runic have already said that they don't want to compete with their own game.

No45

Jinaar said:
/\

I did that on level 2 SHADOW VAULT, sold the EPIC RAPIER by accident. Just abandon the quest and it will just start with the next one in queue.
Awesome, thank you kindly. :)

All I need now is more stash space for my set/gem whoring and I'm set. :lol

No45 said:
Yeah, same guy (Although it was the floor five item). I'm so used to just shift+clicking every white item in the game. >_<

It is so evil that the "Gar?" quest items are regular items except for the text that says "quest item". Although it's nice that sometimes you'll look at the item and realise you're better off equipping it than turning it in.

kai3345

Banned
Been playing the demo and I'm a little...eh.

I don't really know what to think.

I liked the art style a lot, reminded me a lot of WoW.

The thing I didn't like about Diablo was that it felt like "Click Left Mouse to win" and this game feels a lot like that. There isn't any real strategy and in the larger battles all you're really doing is clicking randomly.

The thing I like about RPGs is the variety of skills and the numerous options and strategies this gives you. Like the Persona series for example, while there is no specific strategy for winning battles all of the different elements along with the numerous buffs and debuffs the game so heavily relies on gives the player plenty of combinations to fool with to see which provides the best outcome. You have to pick which persona and skill to best tackle a situation you're given.

But with Torchlight it seems like any attack will kill an enemy in 1 or 2 hits, with almost no damage being done to me, taking away the challenge.

So unless this game gets more strategic past what was in the demo, or the game gets a price drop, I think I'm gonna pass on this one.
I really want to like this game, convince me otherwise GAF!

No45

kai3345 said:
I really want to like this game, convince me otherwise GAF!
The demo sold me personally - it gives you a good idea of what to expect.

Only thing I can suggest is to try it on a hard difficulty, maybe even with Hardcore mode enabled. You won't be able to run into a group of mobs and expect to come out alive, you'll have to manage your pulls and aggro.

tadcalabash

Neo Member
Chris Remo said:
Also I was talking to someone the other day about the possibility of a "drug addict dog" mod that introduces a random chance he will spend all your loot money on his habit after being sent back to town.

He does seem to take progressively longer and longer to get back to you... who knows what he's getting up to in those Torchlight back alleys!

neoism

Well, I started Diablo 2 for the first time, because of this game, I love Diablo 2, but I like the way this game looks better, my current PC sucks, but I'm getting a new one next week, and I've got a ?
What is the deal with difficultly, is Very hard ( easy for you to die) or does it up the EXP it takes to level! I would like it to take a looonng time!
Can't wait for this!, I should have my PC by next Wednesday!

You know what, Ember Lance isn't overpowered. The entire Alchemist class is straight up overpowered. I respeced because I felt Ember Lance was too cheap, and now I'm still dominating everything. I have an army of summons that demolish everything in sight. 6 of those blue demon things, an alchemic golem, a beam golem, an orb that floats around me shooting lasers, my pet and his skeletons. I don't even need to do anything. I just sit back and throw some fireballs to get a little DoT action going (mostly to pretend like I am contributing to the fight).

Once I'm done with this guy I'm going all the way. Destroyer, Very Hard, Hardcore.

FSLink

Banned
Bah, I got this, and my Eee PC 901 runs this slowly even on netbook mode and everything on low. :(
I'll wait to play it on my PC when I get it back. :lol

tadcalabash said:
He does seem to take progressively longer and longer to get back to you... who knows what he's getting up to in those Torchlight back alleys!

2q028op.jpg

Yeah "transmuting". Sure. I know a meth lab when I see one.

neoism said:
Well, I started Diablo 2 for the first time, because of this game, I love Diablo 2, but I like the way this game looks better, my current PC sucks, but I'm getting a new one next week, and I've got a ?
What is the deal with difficultly, is Very hard ( easy for you to die) or does it up the EXP it takes to level! I would like it to take a looonng time!
Can't wait for this!, I should have my PC by next Wednesday!

It's the first one. I'm pretty sure that the difficulty scales mostly through the hitpoints and density of monsters in dungeons.

I'm about to say something shocking as a huge Blizzard fanboy... but put Diablo 2 aside for now to enjoy the magnificence of Torchlight! Besides anything else the final content patch for D2 will be coming eventually and they might finally support higher resolutions, which is worth hanging out for.

Masklinn

BobFromPikeCreek said:
I got a permanent transformation fish. :D My dog is now permanently a Burrower, which is awesome because he has way more health and does way more damage.
Yay, I got one too, a Giant Bat Fish (permanent Varkolyn transformation)

Oh, and the Burrower doesn't do more damages than the base pet (from a cat anyway, but I doubt the dog stats are any different). It has the same damage and armor, waaaay more HPs (as in more than 4 times the base) and a mass lightning attack which is pretty damn cool.

Varkolyn has more attack, and a bit more HP, but half the armor.
BobFromPikeCreek said:
You know what, Ember Lance isn't overpowered. The entire Alchemist class is straight up overpowered. I respeced because I felt Ember Lance was too cheap, and now I'm still dominating everything. I have an army of summons that demolish everything in sight. 6 of those blue demon things, an alchemic golem, a beam golem, an orb that floats around me shooting lasers, my pet and his skeletons. I don't even need to do anything. I just sit back and throw some fireballs to get a little DoT action going (mostly to pretend like I am contributing to the fight).
If you want to make the game harder, just run around the melee with your alchemist: you have no armor and no HP, so in some fights you'll die fast if you're not careful.

Agyar

Chris Remo said:
God, it's preposterous how much better an artist Gabe has become over the years.

Didn't you guys discuss this very topic on the Idle Thumbs podblast with Max Schaefer last week or whenever that was?

Masklinn

What the fail? If you give a fish to a permanently transformed pet (through a previous giant fish), when it reverts it reverts to the original dog/cat form instead of the permanent transformation one…

Almak

Masklinn said:
What the fail? If you give a fish to a permanently transformed pet (through a previous giant fish), when it reverts it reverts to the original dog/cat form instead of the permanent transformation one…
Yup. Found that out the hard way. Made a dog out of my cat, than used the burrower fish. When it expired the cat came back from the vendor instead of a dog. :/

kai3345 said:
Been playing the demo and I'm a little...eh.
don't play on normal. i went through the demo on hard as a ranged Alchemist and there was plenty of kiting, juking, and generally frantic gameplay. you know, the kind seen in Diablo II. from the sound of it, though, you likely didn't play anything harder than normal in that game either.

Lain

Yesterday I had a weird bug going on while playing my alchemist.
It is only level 13, but while level 12 I had my nether minions go up to 6 instead of the 4 max the skill allowed me at rank 6.
As soon as I leveled to 13 I could no longer summon 6 but only the normal 4.
I wonder how it happened.

Lain said:
Yesterday I had a weird bug going on while playing my alchemist.
It is only level 13, but while level 12 I had my nether minions go up to 6 instead of the 4 max the skill allowed me at rank 6.
As soon as I leveled to 13 I could no longer summon 6 but only the normal 4.
I wonder how it happened.

Did you change any gear? You might have had an item that increased your skill then removed it.

JoeMartin

The difficulty is finally spiking in the Shadow Vault. If you don't pay attention you get fucked up and fast. Enemy melee damage scales way faster than your armor does (I get 1 shotted by Troll Juggernauts if they hit me).

Level 42 btw.

Tadale

JoeMartin said:
The difficulty is finally spiking in the Shadow Vault. If you don't pay attention you get fucked up and fast. Enemy melee damage scales way faster than your armor does (I get 1 shotted by Troll Juggernauts if they hit me).

Level 42 btw.

I reached the same wall as you did. I'm playing on hard, and some of these later level enemies just wail through my berserker's armor. I'm using way more potions than I think I need to.

Hawk SE

Man I'm playing on Normal and it is just too easy...

Been wondering what Easy would be like, he said "Maybe there's no enemies and you just go around picking up loot".

ACE 1991

Chris Remo said:

Hahaha that would be fantastic. Also, a mod that allows to your pet to manage your stocks and investments would be amazing

Top Bottom