• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

neoism

ElectricThunder said:
A very partial one is already partway there! :lol
I'm not use to mods, man I can't wait for my computer so I can plays this. I hope they make a mod for higher levels!

Wrekt

I've run into a bug where my character cannot cast any spells. Anybody else run into this? I've tried restarting the game and I still can only do my normal attacks. Even when I bind an ability to left click, it just does my regular attack.

bdouble

aidan said:
Just more reason for you to hoard those gems. But seriously, the ability to abuse the system in this game is outrageous.
Well yeah they did leave it open and are releasing the same tools they used to create the game. Of course stuff like this is going to be made.

modeps

Neo Member
We just finished recording the show with Runic. Totally awesome group of folks. We're gonna be posting it on Monday if you all are interested.

Wrekt

Wrekt said:
I've run into a bug where my character cannot cast any spells. Anybody else run into this? I've tried restarting the game and I still can only do my normal attacks. Even when I bind an ability to left click, it just does my regular attack.
Turns out it was tied to the weapon I was using. I switched to a different gun and my spells started working again. Weird thing is I was using that gun with no problem for the past day.

So I switched to a 1 handed gun. Then on my first time out, I picked a wand up off of the ground and it put it automatically equipped it in my main hand which killed my dps. I opened up my inventory to take it off and died when I wasn't paying attention. Damn my bad luck.

magus

The patch should be out tomorrow.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=2030

Torchlight 1.12 Patch Notes -

* Fixed several issues which could overwrite saves, and protected against possible save loss. Save backups are now also generated.
* Much reduced load times for many users
* Some minor ingame performance improvements
* Fixed Needle Arc XP exploit
* Fixed Shadow Armor stacking effects
* Fixed vendor dupe bug
* Fixed various fullscreen startup issues
* Fixed broken Brink cinematic on subsequent plays
* Fixed merchant 'thief' exploit
* Fixed right clicking in inventory casting certain spells
* Fixed console not activating on Steam builds - this also fixes the fact that subsequent characters didn't see the random dungeon unlock after the first completion
* Fixed issue with Syl's cinematic not being "skippable" during first boss fight
* Fixed some DOT deaths not dropping loot
* Quest items no longer allowed in stash
* Several level fixes for a few places where things overlapped, or collision was missing, or stuck-issues cropped up
* Fixed texture/mesh/ replacement issues with mods
* You can now change difficulty level on the fly from the console without being branded a Cheater ( UNLESS you're playing hardcore )
* Fixed pet minions not awarding fame
* Fixed slow load times when mods were enabled
* Pets inherit your spell masteries
* Magic find takes the max value between you and your pet when pets or pet minions make a kill
* Visible/increasing chance of stripping enchants via enchanter. Price based on # of enchants. Variables tunable in globals.dat
* Troll pet is properly invincible
* Tree Boss could be charmed - fixed
* Fixed issue - Returning to town if you died during Ember Colossus or Medea would make them dormant on return
* weapon + shield doesn't count as 'dual wielding'
* Shimmering Scale ( and 2 other socketables ) now work properly when socketed
* Ember lance slight nerf
* Ember lightning slight buff
* Aloe Gel summon provides better healing
* Equippables properly provide bonuses to passive skills
* Fixed display issue where multiple skill bonuses on the same item would collapse into a single display
* Hardware skinning settings respected properly for pet paperdolls
* Fix for potential bad state in the henchman battle
* Enchantments at level 100 now work
* Relabeled difficulty levels, and added tooltips explaining each
* Fixed 'free spell purchase' exploit
* Socketables cannot be heirloomed
* Fix for masteries not updating certain spell bonuses until logout/login
* Summon Blood Skeleton has 11 levels now
* Various small grammar and spelling fixes

* ADDITION : Rimlights, HW Skinning, and VSynch can all be altered from the Settings menu now.
* MODDERS: Items can be set to 'always identified'

Artchur

Found a neat little bug tonight.. If you go to the vendor that sells spells and drag a spell from the store into your own spell slots, you dont pay any gold for the spell. I tried it with armor/weapons at the other vendors but It didn't work... good times.

(1) I downloaded the demo from Steam, and after I bought it - it converted my demo copy right into retail. I didn't have to re-download a new version of the full game. That caught me by surprise. Do all Steam demos work that way?

(2) I played the demo on normal and it was pretty boring. I was hesitant to start a game on very hard, because I figured that you could re-play the game with your existing character starting on a higher difficultly. Once I realized that you can't, I started a game on very hard. It doesn't really matter that you can't start a new game with your existing character after you beat it, because it appears that you can just keep playing 'random' dungeons to your hearts content once the story ends. I am liking the difficulty of very hard so far, because finding good loot is no longer, "oh, that's some cool looking stuff," it's more... "thank god! I have a better chance of survival!"

No45

magus said:
* Quest items no longer allowed in stash
\o/

Tenkai Star said:
Oh nice. Gonna check Steam now. Medium was a bit to easy.
Linked thread says testing today for the Steam patch, so I guess we might get it later if we're lucky.

Also:
This if a FULL REINSTALL. The packaged files for the patch changed entirely to improve loading times, so a full reinstall is necessary.
If you are patching, you'll need to uninstall your previous version.

BACK UP YOUR SAVE GAMES! Your uninstaller may ask you if you want to delete your save games. Make sure that it is UN CHECKED!
If you want to be extra safe, you can manually back up your saves - I'd recommend this. Better safe than sorry!
Start->run

%appdata% and press return

Then browse to Runic Games\Torchlight\Save - and back up all the files there.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Holy fuck, starting shadow vault, got one-shot by a trap (even though my health was full)

No45 said:
Linked thread says testing today for the Steam patch, so I guess we might get it later if we're lucky.
Yeah I know. Keeping my laptop on next to me at work and hopefully I will get the patch before my trainride later today. Want to play in Hard mode.

Is there a certain way to update games via Steam, does it just do it on its own when I try to load the game, or do I just have to uninstall/reinstall?

mandiller

mysticstylez said:
Is there a certain way to update games via Steam, does it just do it on its own when I try to load the game, or do I just have to uninstall/reinstall?

If you're online the game will update itself automatically. Sometimes it takes a little bit though, if you know the patch is live just try to launch the game and it will update before it launches.

I finally beat the main dungeon on Normal last night, and the Shadow Vault seems to be providing a nice boost in difficulty. I'm debating continuing that character (the Vault has given me a fair number of nice gems already) or starting a new character on Hard.

PhlivoSong said:
(1) I downloaded the demo from Steam, and after I bought it - it converted my demo copy right into retail. I didn't have to re-download a new version of the full game. That caught me by surprise. Do all Steam demos work that way?
Depends on the game, I think. Torchlight uses the method where the demo is the full game, just with some locks on it (like all XBLA games). AFAIK that's pretty uncommon among the larger multi-GB games.

Javaman said:
How far can you upgrade the gems? I'm up to "cut" so far.
According to the wiki, there's "polished", "star", and "flawless" beyond that.

No45

mandiller said:
If you're online the game will update itself automatically. Sometimes it takes a little bit though, if you know the patch is live just try to launch the game and it will update before it launches.
This isn't a patch apparently, it's a new version of the game client. Only way to get it is to uninstall/reinstall.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
I went to play Torchlight on Steam, and it downloaded an update. The patch is out?

Edit: ^oh, nvm

No45

K.Jack said:
I went to play Torchlight on Steam, and it downloaded an update. The patch is out?

Edit: ^oh, nvm
I'm only going from the post on the Runic Games forum. I hope you're right personally, but I'm not at home at the moment to check. :( On the title screen, does it show v1.2?

rohlfinator said:
According to the wiki, there's "polished", "star", and "flawless" beyond that.
Goes even further than that apparently:

magus said:
Cracked, Dull, Discolored, Base, Cut, Polished, Star, Flawless, Perfect, Unique Name

TEN!

Unique Names:

The Infinite Pure-Ember Shard
The Pirate Skull
The Eternal Flow-Ember Shard
The Fire Queen Ember Shard
Etlich's Eyeball
The Grand Depths Ember Shard
The Sea King's Core-Ember Shard
The Earthstar Cold-Ember Shard

LogicStep

I downloaded the demo off Steam and I didn't have to play more than 10 minutes to make up my mind. I just bought my first game through Steam! :D

Edit: Actually, I'm having trouble purchasing the game so I haven't technically gotten my first game through Steam. Hope I can make it work soon so I can keep playing.

ToxicAdam

It's funny, before this game was released I was afraid that fishing would still be "broken" like it was in Fate. Now I wish fishing was more like Fate. When you got to the later infinite levels, you could fish for 20 minutes and pull up a good amount of level appropriate gear (even unique weapons and armor). Then you could cash that stuff out for greater profits.

Maybe I am doing it wrong, but every new level I go into the Shadow Vault (level 10 now), I usually blow through about 7-9k worth of pots and only come back with about 15k of total money. So, then I buy another 8k in pots and only have 7k to spend on other crap (either gambling or enchanting). It seems like every level I go deeper the more money in pots I am spending. Pretty soon I am going to hit a wall unless I can start significantly upping my armor/ele protection.

There is something systematically wrong about a level 43 weapon having the same resale value as a level 18 weapon.

Daigoro

i didnt even need the demo to realize that my wife would love this game to bits. i just bought it for her for her B-day.

installed pretty quick. im sure it will be in use most of the upcoming weekend. :D

LogicStep

Time for a break, lvl 10, been playing nonstop. There goes like 4 hours of my time in the blink of an eye. Reminds me of Diablo 2 days. :lol

Javaman

Good god, that is going to take a lot of gem parts to max them out. Once I learned that you can combine 4 magical items I've completely changed the way I'm handling things in the dungeon. Before I would send everything back with my pet to sell, but now I only sell the normal gear. It kinda sucks though since my carry capacity fills up with magical stuff so quickly. Usually I end up having the pet carry the extra magical stuff once my main inventory fills up, but then I have to drop it on the ground and wait for the dog to get back. It really isn't worth selling any of the magic stuff, since gems cost $600 and you might get 240gold for selling a four set of magic junk. Between buying gems from the gem lady, combining junk and exploring floors, I'm getting over 12 gem chunks per level explored.

Daigoro

whoa, music is fantastic.

anyone know why it wont let me enable AA? when i try it restarts the game and when it comes back up AA is unchecked again. (sorry if this has been asked already)

Javaman

hulot said:
Wait, you can't share socket gems via stash anymore?

That sucks, I was hoping to ratchet one up to absurd levels. Somehow I found 2 of the same pieces of a set; two poison wands of something. I really wish the set items would let you remove gems without destroying them. Who in their right mind is ever going to put a good gem in one and end up needing to destroy one or the other?

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
hulot said:
Wait, you can't share socket gems via stash anymore?

No, it just means that you can't heirloom (transfer + powerup) a gem when you retire a character. See my post on the previous page for an example of what it allowed you to do.

hulot

aidan said:
No, it just means that you can't heirloom (transfer + powerup) a gem when you retire a character. See my post on the previous page for an example of what it allowed you to do.
Ah, haven't gotten into post-game but that's more reasonable.

GuessWho

Hey I just downloaded Torchlight but I bought it off the website. Is there any way I can link the game to my steam account?
btw I tried linking my cd key to steam but that doesn't work. Is it even possible?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Javaman said:
Good god, that is going to take a lot of gem parts to max them out. Once I learned that you can combine 4 magical items I've completely changed the way I'm handling things in the dungeon. Before I would send everything back with my pet to sell, but now I only sell the normal gear. It kinda sucks though since my carry capacity fills up with magical stuff so quickly.
Hah. likewise.
GuessWho said:
Hey I just downloaded Torchlight but I bought it off the website. Is there any way I can link the game to my steam account?
btw I tried linking my cd key to steam but that doesn't work. Is it even possible?
I think they're completely different builds so…

No45

Javaman said:
Good god, that is going to take a lot of gem parts to max them out. Once I learned that you can combine 4 magical items I've completely changed the way I'm handling things in the dungeon. Before I would send everything back with my pet to sell, but now I only sell the normal gear. It kinda sucks though since my carry capacity fills up with magical stuff so quickly. Usually I end up having the pet carry the extra magical stuff once my main inventory fills up, but then I have to drop it on the ground and wait for the dog to get back. It really isn't worth selling any of the magic stuff, since gems cost $600 and you might get 240gold for selling a four set of magic junk. Between buying gems from the gem lady, combining junk and exploring floors, I'm getting over 12 gem chunks per level explored.
Wait a minute, I don't understand this. What are you doing with the magic items you get? You can do something other than sell them?

The S-Word said:
is that patch up on steam yet? i just got done playing so...
Patch is in beta apparently, Runic are testing.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Oh man. Just beat Ordrak. What a jack off. he had so much god damn HP.
He's easy as hell until you have a sea of adds to deal with as well, just takes patience. >_<

No45

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Throw 4 junk magic items into the transmuter and 1 random gem comes out.
Well damn, I didn't know that. I have the Town Portal spell now, I can see me using it A LOT.

The S-Word said:
is that patch up on steam yet? i just got done playing so...

Nah I'm hanging out too, although none of the game-killing bugs have hit me so I'm still playing while I wait.

Not sure if you realise but you can go to your games list, right-click a game and select "view update news". It should open with the last update up, and have previous updates listed below. Torchlight says "Last Update: December 31, 1969" which is 1 second before the beginning of time as far as computers are concerned, so I don't think they've patched it at all yet.

ToxicAdam

4 Unique items give you a discolored gem

4 Blue give you a dull

4 Greens give you a cracked

(I'm pretty sure that's how it goes)

Personally, I sell my stuff for money. Although I could see myself using a mule to loot the lower levels and then just keep pumping out gems which I give to my main. Hmm...

DJ_Lae

magus said:
* Much reduced load times for many users
* Fixed broken Brink cinematic on subsequent plays
* Fixed console not activating on Steam builds - this also fixes the fact that subsequent characters didn't see the random dungeon unlock after the first completion

Thank god. The first one there is probably my only real gripe with the game - load times between levels are around 30 seconds on my computer when there's no good reason why they should be.

The Brink glitch could be skipped, but it was still weird.

The latter one I found on my own, but I was a bit confused seeing extra quest NPCs appear out of nowhere.

jim-jam bongs said:
Nah I'm hanging out too, although none of the game-killing bugs have hit me so I'm still playing while I wait.

Not sure if you realise but you can go to your games list, right-click a game and select "view update news". It should open with the last update up, and have previous updates listed below. Torchlight says "Last Update: December 31, 1969" which is 1 second before the beginning of time as far as computers are concerned, so I don't think they've patched it at all yet.
I don't know whether this patch has been released to Steam yet (although my Steam Torchlight has definitely been patched at least once because I noticed it updating last night), but seeing that date doesn't necessarily mean a game hasn't been patched. It just means the developer didn't upload patch notes to Steam.

DJ_Lae

Chris Remo said:
I don't know whether this patch has been released to Steam yet (although my Steam Torchlight has definitely been patched at least once because I noticed it updating last night), but seeing that date doesn't necessarily mean a game hasn't been patched. It just means the developer didn't upload patch notes to Steam.

Yeah, those notes are very unreliable in most cases.

Looks like they just released the patch a few minutes ago, as there are notes up for Torchlight and it's downloading - I had to launch it to force the download, though.

Put me in the camp that had no idea you could transmute magic items for gems. I'd actually started to wonder why there were so few gems dropping for me, because the vendors don't sell enough of them for that to be the reason. That makes a lot more sense now.

I'm starting to realise that for a top-tree skill, Arrow Hail is seriously lacking, and needs to be adjusted. When you first get it and start pumping up the points it's extremely effective. However, once you get past level 35 - 40, it becomes all but useless because it doesn't scale with weapon DPS like Exploding Shot does.

Chris Remo said:

Well you learn something new every day. I'd always just assumed that uploading some notes was mandatory.

edit: Patch!

Top Bottom