• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Mashing

Another way you can get a lot of gems is by killing a phase creature, which will create a portal to a small map with A LOT of mobs. They drop gems out the ass. The only problem, these phase creatures are VERY rare. I've seen one and I'm level 25.

FoxSpirit

Wow, my forced ATI AA isn't working anymore and I'm stuck with the crappy 2x one from the ingame setting (Steam version) -.-

taku

Mashing said:
Another way you can get a lot of gems is by killing a phase creature, which will create a portal to a small map with A LOT of mobs. They drop gems out the ass. The only problem, these phase creatures are VERY rare. I've seen one and I'm level 25.
I've seen about 4 of 'em and I'm level 35.

Just beat the game on Hard. Damn that last boss took a while, wasn't hard at all though, but he had some HP on him!

(New patch is awesome, AA finally worked and Vsync is on, woo!)

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
ToxicAdam said:
Personally, I sell my stuff for money. Although I could see myself using a mule to loot the lower levels and then just keep pumping out gems which I give to my main. Hmm...
Seeing the price most items are sold for (in the 30s to 60s for greens and blues) and the price to buy cracked gems (600)… I believe swapping items for gems is worth much more than selling them.
Mashing said:
I think the scroll maps (from the magic vendor gal) also have fairly high gems drop rates.

Start->run

%appdata% and press return

Then browse to Runic Games\Torchlight\Save - and back up all the files there.

This is certainly not that difficult, but I need to ask:

Is there some reason why devs don't put your saves in the appropriate "My Documents" folder for the user (or "Saved Games" on Vista/7)? Many games do this, but it seems many still do not, and I can't think of a good reason not to do so.

Just makes backing up and managing saves a pain for less experienced users. I wish we had a little more standardization in this area, personally.

epmode

Dr. Zoidberg said:
This is certainly not that difficult, but I need to ask:

Is there some reason why devs don't put your saves in the appropriate "My Documents" folder for the user (or "Saved Games" on Vista/7)? Many games do this, but it seems many still do not, and I can't think of a good reason not to do so.

Just makes backing up and managing saves a pain for less experienced users. I wish we had a little more standardization in this area, personally.
Seriously. What's wrong with keeping the save files in the game folder, like every other game did since the dawn of time? It's a huge mess now.

epmode said:
Seriously. What's wrong with keeping the save files in the game folder, like every other game did since the dawn of time? It's a huge mess now.

This game doesn't do either.

But the method you mention has been on its way out for some time. In Vista/7, the goal is to have your programs/games installed in Program Files, variable data for those programs in Program Data, and any user specific data to be in the user's personal folders (My Docs, Pics, etc.). The benefit is that it's very easy for a person to back up all their personal stuff, but of course this requires everyone to be on board, and the PC is an open platform so...

Mashing said:

Yup, I'm 32 on my second play through and I've seen a total of 5 over both runs. I'd just decided to take a little break from playing then the patch hit.

*presses intercom*

"Cancel all my afternoon appointments. This might take a while."

Zeliard

Oh christ, that patch looks mighty. How the fuck is someone supposed to balance their time between the three heroin-like uber-RPGs recently released?

Any Australians use the 3FL filter for Steam? If you do, disable it and then update Torchlight. It seems the patch hasn't been mirrored yet which made my Steam client freak out really badly, my games screen just had "scanning for steam games updates" forever.

LogicStep

jim-jam bongs said:
Yup, I'm 32 on my second play through and I've seen a total of 5 over both runs. I'd just decided to take a little break from playing then the patch hit.

*presses intercom*

"Cancel all my afternoon appointments. This might take a while."

:lol

This game is so fun, I'm downloading on my laptop right now, I will play some more tonight.

Shinjitsu

Banned
Zeliard said:
Oh christ, that patch looks mighty. How the fuck is someone supposed to balance their time between the three heroin-like uber-RPGs recently released?

You could have my problem, I want to play dragon age, but a memory leak issue is forcing me to play this instead tell bioware patches it=/

At least this game is awesome.:D

ToxicAdam

Masklinn said:
Seeing the price most items are sold for (in the 30s to 60s for greens and blues) and the price to buy cracked gems (600)… I believe swapping items for gems is worth much more than selling them.

I think the scroll maps (from the magic vendor gal) also have fairly high gems drop rates.

Wahhh? My greens and blues sell for 230-320. Even at merchant level 5.

---

I FINALLY caught something worthwhile from fishing!

2ronjfl.jpg

At the same spot I also caught 9 ember eyes. Which (acts like a potion and) gives you +20% exp for 5 minutes. Very nice.

No45

Steam has updated for me and the title screen is showing v1.11 - is that the latest patch? Because I thought the patch listed was v1.2.

I used to be a huge fan of the Diablo -franchise, but I am on the fence with Torchlight. I would have probably bought the game already if I didn't have so many games to play right now ( Shattered Horizon for PC, Dragon Age: Origins, Forza 3... ). The general conceus seems to be that it truly is worth the price?

Also, what is the level-cap in the game?

Lé Blade Runner said:
I used to be a huge fan of the Diablo -franchise, but I am on the fence with Torchlight. I would have probably bought the game already if I didn't have so many games to play right now ( Shattered Horizon for PC, Dragon Age: Origins, Forza 3... ). The general conceus seems to be that it truly is worth the price?

Just check out the demo. If you do end up buying it, you can pick up right where you left off with your character. And the level cap is 100.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lé Blade Runner said:

It's absolutely worth the price, it's the best Diablo clone yet made, if it had full coop it'd quite possibly surpass it.

Level cap is 100.

Lee N

Membre
There are a couple of annoying bugs in the new version. For some reason I can't talk to Hatch anymore, nothing happens when I click him. Also tooltips renders outside the view area on occasion.

I guess I'm taking a break form the game until they fix this.

No45

Lee N said:
There are a couple of annoying bugs in the new version. For some reason I can't talk to Hatch anymore, nothing happens when I click him. Also tooltips renders outside the view area on occasion.

I guess I'm taking a break form the game until they fix this.
Hatch was bugged before the patch I think. If he's showing still as an exclamation mark but you can't click him then as far as I can tell it means you've finished all of his quests - this happened to me before the patch certainly.

Polk

Almak said:
Cant. After you pick the difficulty in the char creator, you're committed.
* You can now change difficulty level on the fly from the console without being branded a Cheater ( UNLESS you're playing hardcore )

Ok, so I somewhat answered my own question.

Almak

Polk said:
* You can now change difficulty level on the fly from the console without being branded a Cheater ( UNLESS you're playing hardcore )

Ok, so I somewhat answered my own question.
Nice! Didn't know that. So it's the latest patch implemented?

Orgun

No45 said:
Hatch was bugged before the patch I think. If he's showing still as an exclamation mark but you can't click him then as far as I can tell it means you've finished all of his quests - this happened to me before the patch certainly.
Is that the guy who summons portals in town? If so I don't thunk he'll talk to you until you've levelled up a bit

Chris Remo said:
Just check out the demo. If you do end up buying it, you can pick up right where you left off with your character. And the level cap is 100.

Ah - didn't know there was a demo around. Thanks - downloading it now.

Shinjitsu said:
You could have my problem, I want to play dragon age, but a memory leak issue is forcing me to play this instead tell bioware patches it=/

At least this game is awesome.:D

Yeah, you really couldn't have a better time waster while bioware gets it together.

I'll probably end up sinking more time into this than I will into dragon age to be honest

DaFish

I started going through the Mine/Dungeons again after beating the game (Not the shadows) for some easy money to buy potions and gems...

So I'm now back at the area (green garden dungeon with the 4 multi-color portals) and picked up a quest item that re-spawned (some blue book). I have no use for this item but since the patch now I can't sell it or get rid of it, it's just taking up a space in my pouch.

How the F do I get rid of this thing?

Polk

DaFish said:
I started going through the Mine/Dungeons again after beating the game (Not the shadows) for some easy money to buy potions and gems...

So I'm now back at the area (green garden dungeon with the 4 multi-color portals) and picked up a quest item that re-spawned (some blue book). I have no use for this item but since the patch now I can't sell it or get rid of it, it's just taking up a space in my pouch.

Maybe if you re-gather all three glyphs they will dissapear? I have no idea honeslty.

Polk said:
I have no idea if 1.11 steam = 1.12 elsewere. But in steam version I did change difficulty level.
They forgot to change that text in the patch, so 1.12 is showing up for everyone as 1.11. I think there's a way to check the real version in the config files somewhere, but if you did the big update on Steam last night, you should have 1.12.

bdouble

DaFish said:

Drag it into the level to drop it

ToxicAdam

Lé Blade Runner said:

Honestly, I would just wait until after the holidays. Another patch should be out by then and the game will be even better.

Also, realize this game is more Diablo than Diablo 2. It's simpler and not as deep. I love the game but I still feel Titan's Quest kills this game. Much more varied, balanced and overall a deeper experience.

Lé Blade Runner said:
Yeah, you should wait a bit and play those other games first.

I finished it already, but I found the experience a bit dull and repetitive halway in.

For 20$ it's worth getting, but wait for the big mods to come out (and possible content patches).

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
GuessWho said:
I bought the game from website do I have unlimited installs?

I think you have 10.

Almak said:
Just fired up the game and now they're 15k for me too. What the hell?!

Just checked my game. 1201g with maxed barter skill.

Top Bottom