• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Almak

aidan said:
I think you have 10.

Just checked my game. 1201g with maxed barter skill.
Barter is pretty useful. Though I was more surprised by the fact that the price went up so much since the patch was rolled out. I'd imagine they'd want you to respec and try all the different skill sets.
Sigh. I guess 15k isn't really that much of a barrier but it will prevent me from buying early on I suppose.
Anyone checked yet if they applied any changes to the enchanting? Is it more expensive now as well?

deathsight580 said:
Ah, Barter, I see.

What should I be spending my Gold on? I have around 27k and I don't really buy anything.
You can try to overenchant a weapon if you feel like slightly breaking the game.
Though as I mentioned I dont know if they fixed that yet or not. Otherwise just keep your eyes open for useful spells and some of the setpiece items in the vendors.

Polk

deathsight580 said:
Ah, Barter, I see.

What should I be spending my Gold on? I have around 27k and I don't really buy anything.
Buy unidentified items from gambler and/or enchanments.

I just started my second character (an Alchemist on Hard), and somehow I've managed to double my minion count. According to my skills list I should only have 4 imps, but I have eight of them following me around in town. I'm not complaining, but this might break the game a bit if it continues too long.

I also didn't get the "kill the boss" quest from Trill until after I had passed level 3, and now he doesn't seem to be spawning there. Is there any way to get around that? I was hoping I could drop it and move on to the next one, but Trill still gives me the same quest.

LogicStep

Cat in the Hat said:
I find the benefits of enchanting far outweigh the possible benefits of gambling. It's not even close if you ask me.
For what I have tried so far, enchanting is pretty meh, I mean, I did it to my weapon and it gave me a crap ass bonus. Then again, I gambling didn't net me much either.

Almak

deathsight580 said:
For what I have tried so far, enchanting is pretty meh, I mean, I did it to my weapon and it gave me a crap ass bonus. Then again, I gambling didn't net me much either.
To really get the benefits of enchanting you have to enchant the same item multiple times. For example get yourself a high DPS, plain item and enchant it continuously, say 8/10 times and watch that DPS go.

LogicStep

Almak said:
To really get the benefits of enchanting you have to enchant the same item multiple times. For example get yourself a high DPS, plain item and enchant it continuously, say 8/10 times and watch that DPS go.
Oh I see, won't that make the item way too uber and break the game?
I just tired and and it was a worthless attempt, blew a ton of gold on that crap. :lol

Almak

deathsight580 said:
I just tired and and it was a worthless attempt, blew a ton of gold on that crap. :lol
Yeah, it would in a way break the game, I guess. I mean it isnt really against the rules of it but it can get overpowering. For example for my Vanquisher playthrough I got a fastest shooting rifle I could find with around 400 dps. By the time I was done enchanting it did 700 plus freeze and 2 gem slots. So yeah, you just have to find a right weapon to commit to. Remember though, every time you enchant, there is a percentage of a chance that the enchantment will do nothing. Just as well as there is 1% that it will wipe all enchantments on it. So there are risks involved.

No45

Polk said:
10? At least in right upper corner of each skill is X/10
Interestingly, in the Destroyer 'slash' skill it actually lists the next level as 11 when you hit 10:

27zkqpg.png

... and I'm way past level 40, with no option to increase it. Obviously at some point there was (is?) an intention to increase the skills.

Almak

No45 said:
Interestingly, in the Destroyer 'slash' skill it actually lists the next level as 11 when you hit 10:

http://i38.tinypic.com/27zkqpg.png

... and I'm way past level 40, with no option to increase it. Obviously at some point there was (is?) an intention to increase the skills.
yeah, I noticed that too. Though it's only true for some skills others stop at 10, listing no advancement option for 11. May be that indicates that some weapons/items can enhance skill level a'la Diablo 2?

neoism

Has anyone got to level 100, how long did it take you!?
I really hope they come out with a level mod for this game before I get it, I'd like almost an MMO type of level progression, as in taking a looong time!

deathsight580 said:
Here's is some tips I wish I knew when I started

1.)If you plan on playing multiple character enchant items and class can use(rings, amulets, and armor) or you can do like me, I'm going through the game with a wizard but I'm using him to be a goldfinder/Magicfinder/enchanter for my new character's playthrough. I'm currently enchanting a couple maces, ring, ammys, and pistols.

2.) When enchanting such as rings use low level ones because it's cheaper. I had a ring that was stripped of it's enchantments making it a level one ring with nothing on it. It only cost 1500 gold to enchant and added about 150 gold after every enchantment added after. In no time have this amazing ring.

3.) Don't put all your eggs into one basket when enchanting. Your enchantments can be removed by the that damn wizard so watch out. What I do is spread my enchantments over multiple items just to be safe and smart about it.

4.) Getting damage on equip and rings greatly increases your DPS. I have a ring that does around 120 elemental damage and when equipped it adds about 300 DPS. That's because of other equipment and skills you have that boost that type(mine being elemental) of damage. So if you have poison damage on a ring and boots that boost poison damage by a percentage the DPS will increase accordingly.

LogicStep

So I'm guessing enchanting an item is a long term thing huh? Like, keep it around and just enchant it whenever I have the money for it?

Question, for enchanting I need to start with a white item? I'm guessing I can start with green since rings are always at least green.

deathsight580 said:
So I'm guessing enchanting an item is a long term thing huh? Like, keep it around and just enchant it whenever I have the money for it?
It's totally up to you -- lots of enchants is the way to get the massively overpowered weapons, but I've had fun just throwing an enchantment on whenever I find a shrine or if I'm feeling like my weapon is getting a little weak.

Question, for enchanting I need to start with a white item? I'm guessing I can start with green since rings are always at least green.
You can enchant whatever you want, but it's probably best to avoid uniques or set items since you run the risk of removing all its existing enchantments. I think whites might be cheaper to enchant, as well.

Edit: After reading their forums a bit, it sounds like they made some pretty major changes to the system, and have accidentally over-nerfed it. So the shitty wizard is even more shitty, at least for the time being.

Good enchanting tips, Cat. I'd also add that if it's an item that you're really attached to, and the chance to disenchant is getting dangerously high, you can still use a shrine to enchant the item for less risk. My observations put it at about half the chance to DE at a shrine.

deathsight580 said:

I only use enchanting to keep items that I'm attached to at a usable level, so sort of what you're describing. You can start with any quality that you want, go nuts!

As a side-note, the new enchanting system is weird. I see that it's a little more balanced than before, but initial enchants on uniques are much cheaper now that it's based on the number of enchants and not the quality. Also they must have only just added a way to track the number of times an item has been enchanted. Enchants before the patch are not being taken into account when determining the chance to DE, which kind of still means that there are probably a lot of, er, overtuned items out in the wild.

One thing that is really pissing me off in this patch is that I had two glyphs stuck in my stash because of a quest bug. Now, because quest items can no longer be put in a stash, they're stuck in my inventory, taking up 2 slots, and there isn't a damned thing I can do with them; it won't even let me drop them on the ground in town. A "destroy item" system would be helpful.

LogicStep

Yeah I was checking the forums too and apparently enchanting is shitty now. So yeah... back to hoarding gold and checking the blacksmith all the time for upgrades. I still haven't found a single item that's an upgrade, every upgrade I have gotten has been bought =\

What's the point of transmuting items anyways? Reminds me of gems in D2 and that means, hoarding a ton of items to get a ton of the same gem to transmute them to go up a level which means, a lot of work for not much gain... or am I missing something.

By the way, why don't we start posting pictures of our characters? :D I'll start!

Lina21.jpg

Good idea Deathsight, means more of GAF sees the thread too. And Torchlight definitely deserves the attention.

My current main is a Vanquisher, playing very hard and up to level 38 now. All gear is unique except for a rare neck that has experience gain and MF on it. And I think we can all agree how awesome it is that this hat and chest combo makes a Vanq look like a female Indiana Jones:

2z9jtr4.jpg

Been rolling with this pistol for quite a while, I think I'll keep upgrading it and pass it down to my next Vanquisher and go hardcore:

24v5jkp.jpg

The beauty of the pistol is that it's quite high DPS, but more importantly is insanely fast. I've got about an extra 40 - 50% attack speed on gear all up and it's like a machinegun that drains health and mana. Also have about an extra 5m of missile range all up, so that's from quite a way back.

What type of build have you gone for on your Vanq?

LogicStep

Haha yeah she does look like a female version of Indiana Jones, and that is a sick ass pistol damn!

Right now all I have maxed is ranged and crit, 5 in adventurer, 7 in explosive shot and 3 barter, 1 in ricochet and 1 in frost. My gear is terrible except for an "ok" unique weapon.

BobFromPikeCreek said:
http://i35.tinypic.com/5jrytu.jpg[IMG]

Look at how bad ass he is. Look![/QUOTE]
You look exactly like me haha. I'll post pics as soon as this stupid hotel wireless connection stops sucking.

Edit: it stopped sucking

Before ring is equipped:
[IMG]http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff147/Relcom/Torchlight2009-11-0717-05-11-84.jpg

After ring is equipped:
Torchlight2009-11-0717-05-21-95.jpg

GuessWho

just want to say how amazing this game is! I love it! Just started...i'm a lvl 5 vanquisher. Few questions thought...is it possible to upgrade 1 weapon everytime? and for those who took vanquisher what is in your opinion the best skill to upgrade?

LogicStep

GuessWho said:
just want to say how amazing this game is! I love it! Just started...i'm a lvl 5 vanquisher. Few questions thought...is it possible to upgrade 1 weapon everytime? and for those who took vanquisher what is in your opinion the best skill to upgrade?
Depends, if you are range, explosive shot seems like the best one. The crit talent is good too!

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
I seriously need cooler looking gear for my Vanq. She looks like a hooker in Chainmail right now.

Cat and Bob, your Alchi's look hot. But as a Vanq lover, this one really does it for me:

taku said:

Taku, are those shoulders and chest part of a set?

deathsight580 said:
Haha yeah she does look like a female version of Indiana Jones, and that is a sick ass pistol damn!

Right now all I have maxed is ranged and crit, 5 in adventurer, 7 in explosive shot and 3 barter, 1 in ricochet and 1 in frost. My gear is terrible except for an "ok" unique weapon.

With gear, have you tried grabbing a pile of magic find and sending it to a low level alt? In my experience the rate at which unique items were dropping for me dropped off significantly during the 20 - 30 bracket, you may be noticing the same thing. I went from getting a rare/unique from every champion to perhaps one or two a level.

GuessWho said:

You can keep enchanting/heirloom-ing a particular weapon repeatedly, is that what you were wondering about? As Deathsight said, explosive shot is pretty excellent but it's a matter of style too. If you like to shoot at things, then definitely focus on explosive shot. If you're more of a kite-stuff-through-death player then the Arbiter tree has really great traps that serve the same purpose as ES.

Have you played Diablo/2? Your experience with them might help you pick a style that you like. I mostly jumped between sorc, assassin and necro in Diablo 2, so my Vanq plays like all 3 :lol

Ok I am here to show why enchanting is awesome. I started a barbarian and bought this scimitar cause it has fast attack speed. Then transferred it to my mage and 20k Gold later it looks like this.

Greatest thing about it is LOOK AT THE LEVEL REQUIREMENT
Torchlight2009-11-0720-01-07-19.jpg

It started off at 300 gold to enchant and only went up like 20 gold after each enchant.

LogicStep

Wow dude, I need to do that then wtf!? I need to get me a nice pistol!

Well, I'm done for now, at least now I don't look so crappy! :D

Lina27.jpg

Bebpo

Banned
It makes me a little sad seeing my character compared to you guys. My loot and stats suck! The game is fairly tough for me and my legion of minions at this point. I'm on floor 23 hard mode. I can die in 3-4 seconds if I'm not careful.

alchembro.jpg

alchembro2.jpg

bdouble

Wow love this game. Just went to a random 1-10 dungeon.
30 enchanted (all converted to gems)
10 Rare
1 Unique
1 Set
1 swift Chaos

Good stuff especially when I take most of the rares and enchanted to turn into my collectio of gems. Already had the Gorgon boots and weren't even using them but these ones had +18 dex.

\/\/ yep transmute 4 greens or above and you get a gem.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=18382562&postcount=1445

Where are screen shots saved in the Steam version?
Win7 if that makes a difference.

Hey guys, I played the first quest of the game on the demo, do you know where it ends?

I'm totally in love with the game btw:lol Even though I'm almost sleeping in my chair, I can't stop playing. Will buy for sure.

The Hermit

I had to uninstall this game... its draining my life, just like Diablo II did before. This is not a good time, I have tons of exams and sht...

I´ll wait for Diablo III, which will release(hopefully) in a more apropriate time of my life...

DJ_Lae

And my less impressive Vanquisher, although I do love her Tesla cannon.

o8w6zl.jpg

I find slower hard-hitting weapons to be much more effective in Torchlight, as with a good skill or critical hit you can take out pretty much anything that isn't a boss in one go. Fast bows seem much less effective since you waste a fair bit of damage on a second shot to catch the last 1/8th of an enemy's health and down them for good.

bdouble said:
Where are screen shots saved in the Steam version?
Win7 if that makes a difference.

\\Users\[YOUR USER]\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\screenshots

That's on Windows 7.

DJ_Lae said:
I find slower hard-hitting weapons to be much more effective in Torchlight, as with a good skill or critical hit you can take out pretty much anything that isn't a boss in one go. Fast bows seem much less effective since you waste a fair bit of damage on a second shot to catch the last 1/8th of an enemy's health and down them for good.

They are more effective in that they do a lot of damage, but it all depends on your approach, at least with ranged weapons. A heavy hitting slow weapon favours a lot of stop-and-pop kiting, whereas a fast weapon relies more on using knockback and alternating targets rapidly.

DJ_Lae

jim-jam bongs said:
They are more effective in that they do a lot of damage, but it all depends on your approach, at least with ranged weapons. A heavy hitting slow weapon favours a lot of stop-and-pop kiting, whereas a fast weapon relies more on using knockback and alternating targets rapidly.

That's true.

I think part of it is that I find switching ranged targets kind of awkward, even when holding shift. The game doesn't seem to highlight certain enemies consistently, especially the little imp guys and the flying bats.

Which, I suppose, is exactly what the explosive skill is for, as you can nuke everything in one go.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone else get the Steam news popup where the Valve crew showed off their various Torchlight characters? That was pretty cool of them.

Top Bottom