• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Macmanus

PMxAf.jpg

This is easily the most enjoyment I've felt from a game in a very long time. The amount of casual gamers I know playing this game is rather astounding. People who as far as I knew only played Madden and Call of Duty are talking about it, and all of them know about it's direct link to Diablo.

How is this thing doing in sales anyways? Anything close to a stat been released?

bdouble

ahh as I suspected. It was hidden. Had to do a bit of searching to show them.

Wow totally forgot to check my shared storage for a while. Nice to find this thing
2vuwt3a.png

I have like +7m on range attack. Its beautiful.

Ryu

Are you guys just super lucky with the permanent pet changing fish drops or is everyone sporting one of those 120 second elemental switch with their pets? I've fished probably 100 times by now and I got a goblin or something for 3600 seconds and that's about it.

BTW, the enchanting nerf really sucks. I wish instead they capped the number of times you can enchant an item instead of making it so it eliminates all enchants more often. That plus the gold penalty when an enchant fails outright (and not impact the item negatively) would be more then adequate imo. I realize you can break the game with it, but I just had a pretty amazing sword with some amazing stock enhancements lose it all in one enchant try. Ridiculous imo.

Oh God, I just ruined both my original backup gun, and my secondary backup gun to replace that one, when it replaced my former main. God damn you, you son of a bitch enchanter. Fuck.

And now I'm just getting demolished. It's actually kind of shocking how directly connected my amount of damage done and my ability to stay alive are.

grumble

I really like this game. I'm annoyed by a couple of things though. First, the load times are horrific, the worst I can remember in a game. It's regularly 60 seconds. Second, there's a memory leak somewhere, because game performance goes to shit after an hour or two. Third, there are still lots of optimization tweaks left to do, as some attacks or particle effects make my computer spasm. It makes playing this game a bittersweet experience. A minor annoyance is that sometimes I'll right click then left click by accident, an in a shop that means I've just sold my gear and can usually not afford to buy it back.

I really like how gold is a very finite resource in this game.

Ryu said:
Are you guys just super lucky with the permanent pet changing fish drops or is everyone sporting one of those 120 second elemental switch with their pets? I've fished probably 100 times by now and I got a goblin or something for 3600 seconds and that's about it.
Fish in higher level areas. Fishing in town will get you mostly junk fish.

Chris Remo said:
Oh God, I just ruined both my original backup gun, and my secondary backup gun to replace that one, when it replaced my former main. God damn you, you son of a bitch enchanter. Fuck.

Now who's a shitty wizard, huh? haha

sorry, that was mean.

Bebpo

Banned
How do you guys who play ranged characters like gun chars and magic chars stay OUT OF THE ACTION AREA?

Whenever there's a bunch of enemies mobbed together fighting my minions I keep clicking on them and the dumbass character RUNS UP TO THEM because one of the many clicks landed on a 1mm spot of ground between the enemies. So he runs up and gets horribly murdered. I pretty much only attack with right click spells because of this since I don't have to worry about running forward on my right click. But it sucks because my left click weapon attack is higher damage at times.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I want to play more of this game, but Steam refuses to download things when my shitty connection is slowed to dial-up speeds thanks to my bandwidth cap being exceeded.

Is there no way I can play this game without updating it, on Steam? Offline mode doesn't work. :(

Bebpo said:
How do you guys who play ranged characters like gun chars and magic chars stay OUT OF THE ACTION AREA?

Whenever there's a bunch of enemies mobbed together fighting my minions I keep clicking on them and the dumbass character RUNS UP TO THEM because one of the many clicks landed on a 1mm spot of ground between the enemies. So he runs up and gets horribly murdered. I pretty much only attack with right click spells because of this since I don't have to worry about running forward on my right click. But it sucks because my left click weapon attack is higher damage at times.
Hold shift.

epmode

Bebpo said:
Lrn2shiftclick

I agree though. The game makes it a little too difficult to click on a particular enemy.

bdouble

Chris Remo said:
Yeah I'm not enchanting my gun till I get a comptetent back up. 543 dps should last a bit. Vanq right now is pretty decked out though. Had a bunch of uniques from my destoyer and those items are nice after 2 enchants and a few gems.

ToxicAdam said:
I love the TAB toggle on this game. I actually wish you could have two of them (maybe Tilde or Caps Lock key)
You can assign skills to the function keys. Just open your skill menu, hover the cursor over a skill, and press F1, F2, or whatever. Then when you press that key it will place that skill into your right-click slot. And although I haven't bothered to do so, you can adjust the game's default keybindings in a config file, so you could map it from F1 to Tilde or Caps Lock or anything else.

Chris Remo said:
You can assign skills to the function keys. Just open your skill menu, hover the cursor over a skill, and press F1, F2, or whatever. Then when you press that key it will place that skill into your right-click slot. And although I haven't bothered to do so, you can adjust the game's default keybindings in a config file, so you could map it from F1 to Tilde or Caps Lock or anything else.

You can also scroll through other skills in the tab box using , and .

ToxicAdam

Chris Remo said:

The F keys are a bit out of the way when you are in the middle of a battle. Being able to toggle between two more skills via the Tilde or Caplock key would be ace.

Ryu

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Fish in higher level areas. Fishing in town will get you mostly junk fish.

I've only fished in the hidden dungeon areas (the purchasable ones with levels inscirbed on them, like 15-30 or 20-?? for example) and that's where I've been getting these fish.

No45

This has been my main:

2hehrwo.jpg

... who I'm planning to replace soon I think. Just created an Alchemist on Very Hard, will also try a Vanquisher when I get some time.

dg2zcm.jpg

I just want to say, for those holding out for the Mac version, the PC version (via steam) works PRETTY DAMN WELL on my mac (macbook pro on snow leopard) if you run it through Crossover Games. The newest patch also somehow made it possible to go full-screen kinda. Your dock still shows up if you mouse over it, but that's a feature in my book!

taku

jim-jam bongs said:
Cat and Bob, your Alchi's look hot. But as a Vanq lover, this one really does it for me:

Taku, are those shoulders and chest part of a set?
[/QUOTE]
Thanks man. Actually, they're both the same type of unique "Valkyrie" armor but there's no bonus for having them as a set at all. They're still damn good though (and cool-looking, haha).

Chris Remo said:
Goddamn you Remo, i want to play this more than everything else i have too

colinp

Banned
Apparently they screwed up the enchantment wizard and are going to fix him again...

Re: Why does my enchanting suck?
by travisbaldree » Sun Nov 08, 2009 1:00 am

The current enchantment breakage ( well, the one I'm releasing a hotfix for ), is with the town enchanter only (not shrines).
It was SUPPOSED to use the item's level to determine the level of enchants it could use ( as opposed to the player's ), but I screwed it up and it wasn't increasing properly with level. Which means your high level items get wimpy enchants, basically.

a stupid question guys...
anyone on a steam version and still having problems loading up the console?
I've changed the Console attribute to 1 in my settings file & tilde, ctrl + shift + tilde, shift + tilde are doing nothing!

what does your patch show up as on the title screen? mine still says 1.11, but i read on the forums that this was just the programmers forgetting to change the detail. I have v-sync in my options, which i didn't notice before.. & steam isn't prompting any update...

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
No45 said:
Steam has updated for me and the title screen is showing v1.11 - is that the latest patch? Because I thought the patch listed was v1.2.
Should be the right version, they fucked up the labeling or something. See the official forums, it was mentioned there.
ToxicAdam said:
Wahhh? My greens and blues sell for 230-320. Even at merchant level 5.
Do you mean barter? I have 0 in barter, there's so much money in the game i dont see the point of having more of it. Only things I use money for are buying cracked gems and stacking tons of enchants on my items…
rohlfinator said:
I just started my second character (an Alchemist on Hard), and somehow I've managed to double my minion count. According to my skills list I should only have 4 imps, but I have eight of them following me around in town. I'm not complaining, but this might break the game a bit if it continues too long.
At one point one of them'll die and you won't be able to re-summon it. Don't worry too much about it, it happens from time to time.
deathsight580 said:
For what I have tried so far, enchanting is pretty meh, I mean, I did it to my weapon and it gave me a crap ass bonus.
You can enchant several times, it keeps adding enchantments and (if you don't have any) it can add gem slots as well.
No45 said:
... and I'm way past level 40, with no option to increase it. Obviously at some point there was (is?) an intention to increase the skills.
No. There are items increasing your skills, that's why there are more levels than 10. For instance I have some item bumping my Charm skill by 1 point, so maxxed out I have 11 in charm, not 10.
rohlfinator said:
You can enchant whatever you want, but it's probably best to avoid uniques or set items since you run the risk of removing all its existing enchantments. I think whites might be cheaper to enchant, as well.
The slot also has an influence. Most items start out at 300 (for greens anyway), rings and chokers are 1500 from the start (greens)

And from the pics, why do so many alchemists use shields? Why not dual wands?

neoism

Rez said:
I want to play more of this game, but Steam refuses to download things when my shitty connection is slowed to dial-up speeds thanks to my bandwidth cap being exceeded.

Is there no way I can play this game without updating it, on Steam? Offline mode doesn't work. :(
Guys I have a ? about steam I really want to buy this from steam, but my internet isn't 100% right now, can you play games through steam without the internet? I mean once you've downloaded it.

epmode

neoism said:
Guys I have a ? about steam I really want to buy this from steam, but my internet isn't 100% right now, can you play games through steam without the internet? I mean once you've downloaded it.
You usually have to play the game at least once while connected to the internet. Also, make sure that Steam is set up to automatically enter your username and password. Once you do this, you can use Offline Mode. Some people report problems with it but it's always worked for me.

I'm planning on not touching the wizard until the hotfix comes out or I have a ton of cash to blow. The risk seems to high at the moment. Uniques and nice purples should keep me going until then.

V_Arnold said:
I have made a Hardcore character.
Alchemist, will keep you guys updated of his fate :)
Nice, I think my next character is going to be HC. I was thinking about doing it with my current char, but I've already gotten my ass handed to me by a couple of phase portal dungeons.

Masklinn said:
At one point one of them'll die and you won't be able to re-summon it. Don't worry too much about it, it happens from time to time.
Yeah, I discovered this a bit later. Ah well, it was fun while it lasted.

Masklinn

On the other hand, the prices on the now-crap wizards have been driven waaaaay down. ~2500 to enchant uniques? Before the patch, it was >15000

Lumine

So I'm thinking of buying this, but I'm still on the fence. I played the demo last night and enjoyed it. Some impressions:

I liked how fast it felt. Both combat and character progression. New skills quickly made the pacing much better than for example titan quest.

I liked the loot, but not that keen on random loot. Been playing random loot games a bit lot lately, but I realise that random loot is a big part of this game. At least I liked that lots of "good" loot dropped often and quickly.

Is this whole game set in 1 town/dungeon? I'm hoping not and that the full game has many more varied area's, but the demo kind of made it seem like this isn't case.

Are there any plans of adding any form of co-op? local or internet? Co-op would add so much to this. Not because I can show off loot, but because it would actually be fun to go through this game with a friend. Oh well.

3 classes seems low, but at least it looked like you can do quite a few different builds with them.

So I kind of need convincing. What more awaits me in the full game? Why should I be getting this? :)

Lumine said:
So I'm thinking of buying this, but I'm still on the fence. I played the demo last night and enjoyed it. Some impressions:

I liked how fast it felt. Both combat and character progression. New skills quickly made the pacing much better than for example titan quest.

I liked the loot, but not that keen on random loot. Been playing random loot games a bit lot lately, but I realise that random loot is a big part of this game. At least I liked that lots of "good" loot dropped often and quickly.

Is this whole game set in 1 town/dungeon? I'm hoping not and that the full game has many more varied area's, but the demo kind of made it seem like this isn't case.

Are there any plans of adding any form of co-op? local or internet? Co-op would add so much to this. Not because I can show off loot, but because it would actually be fun to go through this game with a friend. Oh well.

3 classes seems low, but at least it looked like you can do quite a few different builds with them.

So I kind of need convincing. What more awaits me in the full game? Why should I be getting this? :)

There is only one town and one dungeon, but the appearance of the dungeon changes a lot as you descend. And you can go in to some other places via portals but they still look the same as certain main-dungeon floors. As far as I know there will be no co-op in the game.

Masklinn

Lumine said:
Are there any plans of adding any form of co-op? local or internet? Co-op would add so much to this.
None.
darkpaladinmfc said:
There is only one town and one dungeon
Two dungeons actually: the Ember Mine, and the Shadow Vault.

ToxicAdam

But the Shadow Vault is just randomized floors using the Ember mines backdrops/monsters. Nothing really "new" about it except for the difficulty and length.

taku said:
Thanks man. Actually, they're both the same type of unique "Valkyrie" armor but there's no bonus for having them as a set at all. They're still damn good though (and cool-looking, haha).

Nice, there are a few "sets" like that. My Vanq is wearing a few "Gunslinger" bits that have similarly themed stats but no bonuses. I must admit I've been having poor luck with actually getting more than one piece of any set.

Lumine said:

It's like this for the whole game. You always feel like you're moving forward.

There is a lot of procedurally generated loot, but collecting uniques and item sets is basically the entire game after the story ends. There's more than enough specific stuff to keep you interested. It's still semi-random but the trouble with randomness is a lack of purpose, which this game doesn't really have a problem with.

There are two, one of them you only unlock after the story is completed. Also there are phase beast portals, vendor portals and side-quest portals. It's not really about the number of dungeons honestly; there are 7 tile-sets and a fair amount of variety in how the tiles are laid out.

No, the exact quote is something like "we don't want to compete with our own game". Someone has already modded in basic co-op, but it's unlikely that Runic will add it officially unless they use it to test network code for the MMO.

There are basically 9 classes imo.

Because:

- it's $20
- it's the best game of this year
- it's $20
- user generated content is already being released

Also, did I mention how it's only $20? Initial purchase is significantly deeper than most $20 games, and it's going to have content added over time by users and the developers. If that doesn't convince you I don't know what would :lol

Lumine

Thanks for the reply. :)

I already went ahead and bought it. Couldn't resist any longer. :)

I'm currently a level 8 dual-wielding-battle-alchemist. :p
Spending most points in ember shock, defence and strength as of yet. It seems to work well enough, but it doesn't seem to be as good or fun as the Destroyer equelevent I played in the demo. Still fun though. :)

tirminyl

I am having a lot of fun playing this. I am a level 9 Alchemist. I had to learn somethings early on in the game. I lost my healing spell because I wanted to un-learn it and teach it to my dog, well...it disappeared. Then I wanted to mess around and enchant a pretty good staff. I saw the dis-enchant percentage and declined the enchant before removing my staff and I lost that :lol

Either way, I am having fun and it was money well spent.

Median

Chris Remo said:

It would seem the shitty wizard gets shittier by the minute.

Top Bottom