• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

ToxicAdam

Protip: You can drag a spell from the vendor right into and empty "learned" spot without paying for it.

(At least this is true on the unpatched version. I haven't patched yet)

scoobs said:
anyone know if there's a way to respec??? I'm interested in messing with different abilities
There is an official mod that adds a respec potion to the pots vendor in town. Runic felt it wasn't something they wanted in the main game and I see why having used it. My character is pretty min/maxed now because I used it after reaching a high enough level that I could use my points in any tier.

ToxicAdam said:
Protip: You can drag a spell from the vendor right into and empty "learned" spot without paying for it.

(At least this is true on the unpatched version. I haven't patched yet)
I think this might be the "merchant thief exploit" that they mention fixing in the patch notes, but I haven't tested it yet.

No45

tirminyl said:
Yep, I was thinking it would put it back in my stash so I could transfer to my dog. Don't know why I initially thought that.
I think, once you've learned the spell, it's likely to turn up at the vendor. I know that both the Identity and Town Portals hadn't appeared at the vendor, but as soon as they dropped randomly they were both available to buy after that. It's not 100% guaranteed, but I'm pretty sure you should be able to get it.

Broke down and bought the game, this game is so fuck awesome. The diablo gameplay is nailed down perfectly, the music is spot on, and the loot.... THE LOOT :lol Absolutely love it.

LogicStep

jim-jam bongs said:
There is an official mod that adds a respec potion to the pots vendor in town. Runic felt it wasn't something they wanted in the main game and I see why having used it. My character is pretty min/maxed now because I used it after reaching a high enough level that I could use my points in any tier.
Since you used it you can tell me this, it only affects talents or does it also reset your stat points?

Volodja

Before knowing about the bad post-patch situation of the enchanter I had time to see my Unique Boots and my Unique Shoulder Armor wiped of all their bonuses, even if it isn't really the fault of the patch considering that both had 2% or 4% of probability of such a thing happening. Also my Unique Staff now has 8% probability of disenchanting without having gained basically anything from it and losing its bonuses would be a disaster 'cause half of my equipment depends on those so I don't know if I'll risk it even when the fix for the enchanting will arrive. In the meantime the 30th floor is kicking my ass.

deathsight580 said:
Since you used it you can tell me this, it only affects talents or does it also reset your stat points?
Only skills, the stats aren't effected

Javaman

ToxicAdam said:
But the Shadow Vault is just randomized floors using the Ember mines backdrops/monsters. Nothing really "new" about it except for the difficulty and length.

Do you get portals every 5 levels in the shadow vault?

LogicStep

Javaman said:
There's a line in the respec mod;
"<INTEGER>VALUE:25000"

You can probably just drop that down a bit to reduce the price.
Might want to be careful with that, it might brand you a cheater if you edit that? I'm not sure, just a thought.

I need to play this game with caution, I started playing yesterday early on and before I knew that game ate away my whole day. :lol

Javaman

deathsight580 said:
Might want to be careful with that, it might brand you a cheater if you edit that? I'm not sure, just a thought.

I need to play this game with caution, I started playing yesterday early on and before I knew that game ate away my whole day. :lol

I'm not going to bother messing with it, but I doubt that that would be the case. How would the game know what the value should be for an item, especially one added after the fact?

Volodja

Javaman said:
There's a line in the respec mod;
"<INTEGER>VALUE:25000"

You can probably just drop that down a bit to reduce the price.
Changing it to 5 makes the potion cost 3
But if you already played once with the mod installed, to make the change take effect you have to delete some files because when you modify an existing mod the game doesn't check it again.
In the official forums you can find the files to delete
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4911

And no, doing so doesn't label you a cheater, at least I didn't notice such a thing happening.

The Crimson Kid

what are you waiting for
Ok, I can't seem to figure this out.

How exactly do you change the difficulty for a character you've already started? I know the ability was added in the last patch, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this?

Does anyone else have a better idea of this that I do?

Just started the game with an alchemist and it's awesome so far. I encountered the following situation and I'm not sure if it's a bug or if I just haven't progressed far enough yet:

I got the "Aid Brink" quest, where Syl tells me to find and help Brink. I find Brink on level 2, kill all the stuff around him, then I talk to him and he says something like "You alright, Syl? You rest here, and I'll go on ahead." I clear the level and he says the same thing. Obviously I'm not Syl. Did something screw up, or do I have to wait to find him on a subsequent level?

Edit: Okay, never mind. Things seemed to resolve themselves two levels down. Thanks anyway.

Javaman

The Crimson Kid said:
Ok, I can't seem to figure this out.

How exactly do you change the difficulty for a character you've already started? I know the ability was added in the last patch, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do this?

Does anyone else have a better idea of this that I do?

It's a console command, but I'm not sure what the actual command is.

Proc

This game is good, damn good.

Between this, dragonage, and the near release of L4D2, I'm not going to be leaving my computer chair very often.

White Man

Argh, I still need to load this up. Between Dragon Age, Demon's Soul, Borderlands, and this, I probably won't need another RPGish game until like next June.

1 bit of concern: Borderlands is basically a big ol sleeping pill in SP. I'm a bit concerned that the same might go for Torchlight. I only really put time into Mythos in MP. I did like Fate, though.

Proc

White Man said:
1 bit of concern: Borderlands is basically a big ol sleeping pill in SP. I'm a bit concerned that the same might go for Torchlight. I only really put time into Mythos in MP. I did like Fate, though.

I'm enjoying playing this singleplayer much more than borderlands SP. I think a lot of that is due to to the simplistic nature of the game, and the platform I'm playing it on (ability to tab in and out of IMing, browsing, gaffing, etc.). Maybe I'd like borderlands better on PC? Who knows. I definitely was one of those people who played through diablo 1 and 2 in single player before going onto battlenet.

Its so easy to lose time to this game. I just lost 2 hours in pure dungeon crawling bliss.

Overall I just think its a more fun experience than Borderlands. Diablo nostalgia goes a long way and the additions they've added to the genre are very much appreciated. The soundtrack and art style alone should get ya to poke your head in for $20.

Tokubetsu

Proc said:
I'm enjoying playing this singleplayer much more than borderlands SP. I think a lot of that is due to to the simplistic nature of the game, and the platform I'm playing it on (ability to tab in and out of IMing, browsing, gaffing, etc.). Maybe I'd like borderlands better on PC? Who knows. I definitely was one of those people who played through diablo 1 and 2 in single player before going onto battlenet.

Its so easy to lose time to this game. I just lost 2 hours in pure dungeon crawling bliss.

Overall I just think its a more fun experience than Borderlands. Diablo nostalgia goes a long way and the additions they've added to the genre are very much appreciated. The soundtrack and art style alone should get ya to poke your head in for $20.

I own both on PC and Torchlight is definitely way more interesting. It helps that I play it windowed and I'm usually listening to music and iming during.

Tokubetsu said:
I own both on PC and Torchlight is definitely way more interesting. It helps that I play it windowed and I'm usually listening to music and iming during.

I finally took a Torchlight break to play some Borderlands and it's not even close. Both games have a lot in common, but the thing that makes Torchlight so good is that the gameplay is actually fun. Not to devolve into a whole bitch-session about how a shooter with shitty AI and NPC levels is neither a good shooter nor a good RPG, but suffice to say that the core of Torchlight is a really fun game.

Bebpo

Banned
How do you guys have level 50s+ characters? Doesn't the game end at floor 36? I'm always a few levels below the floor # (which sucks because I can't use the loot I get! because I'm too low level!)

scoobs

Bebpo said:
How do you guys have level 50s+ characters? Doesn't the game end at floor 36? I'm always a few levels below the floor # (which sucks because I can't use the loot I get! because I'm too low level!)

no the game is certainly not over at floor 36. The main quest is over, but there are side quests and tons of random dungeons you can buy from vendors to try and find more loot.

White Man said:
Argh, I still need to load this up. Between Dragon Age, Demon's Soul, Borderlands, and this, I probably won't need another RPGish game until like next June.

I own both Torchlight and Borderlands on PC, and Torchlight has consumed me, while Borderlands I gave up on after about an hour. At its most fundamental core, Torchlight is just a more enjoyable, compelling game. They're both trying to achieve similar goals, but Torchlight is more immediate and responsive and well-designed to me.
scoobs said:
no the game is certainly not over at floor 36. The main quest is over, but there are side quests and tons of random dungeons you can buy from vendors to try and find more loot.
There's also the entire second dungeon, the Shadow Vault.

LaneDS

Can anyone confirm if the dual wielding skill and the martial weapon skill does not boost the damage of special attacks? It feels like both of those skills only boost regular attacks, but it's pretty hard to tell.

Since I never use regular attacks (at this point) I'm thinking of ditching those skills.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
i gotta thank you chris remo, your torchlight-boosting on the podcast made me try it, and it really is the next best thing to diablo III i could imagine getting. it's just so beautifully crafted and it FEELS perfect.

(i tried titan quest, but really wasn't interested in playing after a bit, torchlight on the other hand is starting to make me wish i had tomorrow off...)

ToxicAdam

Almost at level 60 on hard. I want to start a new character, but I keep getting sucked into doing "one more level" in the Shadow Vault.

Found a unique chest armor that has a base 170 defense. I'll post a pic later.

Mrbob

Wow even Valve is hooked on Torchlight. I got done playing Dragon Age and this was in their update section that pops up:

Valve's latest obsession: Torchlight - a really solid action RPG with a strong heritage. Because the game is single-player, here at Valve we have to do our trash-talking offline. The hallways have been full of exaggerated claims about buffed-out Torchlight player-characters, so we decided to collect screenshots and see whether any of that boasting was justified.
Here are a dozen of them - you be the judge:

MarcLaidlaw.jpg

AlFarnsworth.jpg

ErikWolpaw.jpg

JasonHoltman.jpg

Lyncho.jpg

Thanks Runic, you guys just delayed Episode 3 another year. :lol I really need to pick this game up.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah I found Borderlands SP boring and didn't have an MP group to play with, so I didn't play it. Torchlight is great though, love it.

scoobs said:
Chris Remo said:
There's also the entire second dungeon, the Shadow Vault.

Awesome. How many floors is the 2nd dungeon? Is that where the post-game sidequests take place?

Instro

Bebpo said:
Yeah I found Borderlands SP boring and didn't have an MP group to play with, so I didn't play it. Torchlight is great though, love it.

Awesome. How many floors is the 2nd dungeon? Is that where the post-game sidequests take place?

Its an infinite dungeon.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
tirminyl said:
Yep, I was thinking it would put it back in my stash so I could transfer to my dog. Don't know why I initially thought that.
Because "learned" spells and not-yet-learned scrolls look the same.

Mrbob said:
Wow even Valve is hooked on Torchlight. I got done playing Dragon Age and this was in their update section that pops up:

Thanks Runic, you guys just delayed Episode 3 another year. :lol I really need to pick this game up.
This reminded me how awesome it would be to take the trash-talk online and have tracked character profiles on torchlight.com... Probably only a matter of time!

troushers

D'oh! Just determined that 4 greens transmute to dull gems, 4 blues to gems. In early levels, much better than selling crappy greens for 10 or 15gp. The type of gem depends on the combinations of armor and weapons of the 4. It's nice adding health recov and armor damage with socketing.

Lord Phol

Wish I could play this :(, I has no computer no more. All I can hope for is someone thinking of us lonely console users, that or winning the lottery *laughs*.
Snowblind my saviour where art though?

How many levels do the spells have? I'd love to have an advanced Haste spell, but I haven't seen anything higher than a Haste III on either of my two characters, while I've seen other spells go up to VI pretty regularly. Maybe Haste is just rarer than the others?

troushers said:
D'oh! Just determined that 4 greens transmute to dull gems, 4 blues to gems. In early levels, much better than selling crappy greens for 10 or 15gp. The type of gem depends on the combinations of armor and weapons of the 4. It's nice adding health recov and armor damage with socketing.
Yeah, it seems to be the best way to get gems. I can't figure out which items correspond to which gems, though -- I've had greens give me cracked and dull, blues give me dull, and golds give me regular gems. It must have something to do with the player or item level, or maybe there's just a random element to it.

Only downside is that I'm making a lot more frequent trips to town, instead of just sending my crappy greens back with the dog.

bogg said:
Silly question, I just bought the game, does anyone knows if I need to install the patch?
Where did you buy it? The Steam version has been updated for sure, but I'm not sure about the others.

No45

rohlfinator said:
How many levels do the spells have? I'd love to have an advanced Haste spell, but I haven't seen anything higher than a Haste III on either of my two characters, while I've seen other spells go up to VI pretty regularly. Maybe Haste is just rarer than the others?
There's a Haste VI at my vendor at the moment, haven't seen anything past VI I don't think for any spell. Currently at level 47 on my Destroyer.

Jinaar

How great would it be if VALVE just decided to invest some time into with TorchED when it gets released to add Multiplayer? Just so they can play MP in the office and as well released to the public.

Company A mods Company B's game. Fans go nuts.

This is a dream to dream. I like dreams.

No45 said:
There's a Haste VI at my vendor at the moment, haven't seen anything past VI I don't think for any spell. Currently at level 47 on my Destroyer.
Ah, so they do exist, good. I'm only 20-something on my current character, so I guess it's just a matter of progressing some more.

bogg said:
From the official game site. It says v1.11.
You should be good then. The current version is 1.12, but they all say 1.11 anyway. I think the official site was the first to update.

An easy check would be to see if there's a Vsync option in the settings menu -- only the patched version has that setting.

LogicStep

Jinaar said:
How great would it be if VALVE just decided to invest some time into with TorchED when it gets released to add Multiplayer? Just so they can play MP in the office and as well released to the public.

Company A mods Company B's game. Fans go nuts.

This is a dream to dream. I like dreams.

I will dream with you, maybe it'll become true the more people dream about it. :lol

Top Bottom