• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Pimpbaa

The thread title is right, this IS the definitive loot game of 2009. How great the game is and it's low price almost makes up for all the other supposedly good loot games I've bought since diablo 2.

Pimpbaa said:
The thread title is right, this IS the definitive loot game of 2009. How great the game is and it's low price almost makes up for all the other supposedly good loot games I've bought since diablo 2.

I know exactly what you mean. Every since Diablo 2 I've been looking for a game that comes close to the addictive loot game that is Diablo. This is really the only one that feels close to it.

Shame no multiplayer though.

Slavik81

I played the demo on a whim and I am amazed. I was playing through on Hard/Hardcore mode and it was FANTASTIC.

It's a good thing I died while doing that quest through the special portal
(For the guy who wants to be the richest man in town. Just after the first story twist.)
. Otherwise I'd have been up all night.

DaveKap

Banned
I feel sick playing this game.

I bought an identify scroll and used it for a while, discovered another one and gave it to my pet, figuring I'd be able to just use it off him; thus promptly overwrote my own identify scroll. Discovered I couldn't use pet's scroll, overwrote it, and now I can never, ever, ever find an identify scroll at the store or in the dungeon.

I'm going to cry.

Edit: Replace "scroll" with "spell" I guess? Just figured out if I played an alt character I can find her selling the right spells again and can just put them into my shared stash. Why did I not try this earlier...

Edit2: Welp that was fast. Ahh it's like I'm breathing fresh air now that I can just ID stuff w/o scrolls.

Final edit: And to add insult to injury, I come back after a quick portal quest, and she has an ID spell for me. What a bitch! :lol

FoxSpirit

Oh yeah, you can re-force your own custom AA settings by tabbing out of the game and THEN activate the custom setting in the driver. That works.
Finally good AA again.

Dreavus

Holy crap.

Stacking haste spells is the best thing ever. You can run SO FAST. :lol

Right now I'm rocking haste I, II, and IV on my level 21 Destroyer and it's just ridiculous for getting around quickly.

iamblades

Dreavus said:
Holy crap.

Stacking haste spells is the best thing ever. You can run SO FAST. :lol

Right now I'm rocking haste I, II, and IV on my level 21 Destroyer and it's just ridiculous for getting around quickly.

^^

I basically remade a frenzy barbarian in torchlight by heavy use of haste.

Dual wielding unique maces with maxed dual wield and the weapon expertise skill, slash is pretty high up as well. I love wading into a group of trash and killing the whole group with one slash, then standing there beating down the boss with full hp thanks to the lifesteal and the insane attack speed.

modeps

Neo Member
deathsight580 said:
Is that your podcast? Cool stuff, I have stuff to do for school now but listening to this right now is making me want to play and do no work! :lol

Yeah it's ours. Thanks :) I'm normally the host, but today I was the one coughing and not talking well.

ToxicAdam

modeps said:
Yeah it's ours. Thanks :) I'm normally the host, but today I was the one coughing and not talking well.

Thanks for the podcast. I listened to it all.

The most interesting tidbit I picked up was that they would likely release an official multi-player mode with Torchlight when the MMO releases. That could be 2 years from now, but at least it could breathe some life back into the title at that time.

modeps

Neo Member
ToxicAdam said:
Thanks for the podcast. I listened to it all.
I'm so sorry. Since upgrading to Windows 7, for whatever reason my co-hosts have sounded like ass. We're working on that though.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
mysticstylez said:
Ok completed the main storyline (just shy of 10hrs fucking rocked). How do I get into this infinite dungeon thing?

A new area opens up in the south-east corner of town. You should see a couple of ! on your map.

Just d/l'ed the demo for this bored as I await the arrival of my copy of CoDMW2, and holy crap is it addictive. Dare I say the best Diablo "clone" I've ever played.

Playing a pure Lore Alchemist is awesome. The imps and golems are some of the most fun summons I've seen in a game, and it's so cool to have 6 imps, 2 golems, and my pet all fully buffed and beating the crap out of a tough enemy. I just need to throw some points into Charm Spell Mastery and pick up a couple skeleton spells to build my army even further. :D

I hope someone creates an extended storage mod soon... My shared stash has pretty much turned into a permanent gem storage, and I've already started a mule to hold my set items. I've already started dumping a lot of my less-useful uniques because they're not worth the juggling.

Javaman

rohlfinator said:
Playing a pure Lore Alchemist is awesome. The imps and golems are some of the most fun summons I've seen in a game, and it's so cool to have 6 imps, 2 golems, and my pet all fully buffed and beating the crap out of a tough enemy. I just need to throw some points into Charm Spell Mastery and pick up a couple skeleton spells to build my army even further. :D

I hope someone creates an extended storage mod soon... My shared stash has pretty much turned into a permanent gem storage, and I've already started a mule to hold my set items. I've already started dumping a lot of my less-useful uniques because they're not worth the juggling.

That's a great idea with the mule. I'll have to do that since I'm also facing the same shortage. Right now my main stash is solely used for gems and I use the shared stash for holding uniques, sets, potions and the odd green or blue until I can get enough for 4 to transform them into gems.

Lumine

Hey does anyone know of a good site with info on this game? Without any respeccing I would like to read up on what some of these abilities do before I waste any points in them.

For example I'm unsure what "Frailty" (iirc, it's in the combat tree of the alchemist) does. Is it any useful for a melee alchemist?

Anyone know of a way to "reset" a level? For example I just started the first level of Shadow Vault and I sold a quest item that drops on that floor on accident, yet when I go back to that level its already all cleared out. Any way to have it respawn all the enemies and chests and shit?

ToxicAdam

mysticstylez said:
Anyone know of a way to "reset" a level? For example I just started the first level of Shadow Vault and I sold a quest item that drops on that floor on accident, yet when I go back to that level its already all cleared out. Any way to have it respawn all the enemies and chests and shit?

You'll probably need to abandon the quest (through the (Q)uest menu) and move on.

Javaman said:
That's a great idea with the mule. I'll have to do that since I'm also facing the same shortage. Right now my main stash is solely used for gems and I use the shared stash for holding uniques, sets, potions and the odd green or blue until I can get enough for 4 to transform them into gems.
I don't really like having to use the mule, though, since it can be pretty slow switching characters. It kind of annoys me that you can effectively have unlimited storage (thanks to unlimited mules), but there's no easier way to do it "legitimately". They could have one of the vendors sell storage upgrades for a really high price, or even have it as a rare item that only drops in the Shadow Vault or something.

Lumine said:
Hey does anyone know of a good site with info on this game? Without any respeccing I would like to read up on what some of these abilities do before I waste any points in them.
There are three or four wikis, but none of them seem to be very fleshed out yet. This one is probably the best of the bunch.

mysticstylez said:
It seems like they reset themselves either after you visit a certain number of other floors, or after a certain time limit (~30 minutes). But I think it's possible for it to respawn the enemies without respawning the quest item, in which case you'll have to just abandon the quest.

LogicStep

Shadow780 said:
It's amazing in 2009 I can play a game of this pedigree on a laptop with shitty integrated video card....awesome.
Yup, though on mine is not as smooth as on my PC but it's still playable.

falastini

Lot's of good impressions since this came out. I'm gonna give Torchlight a shot. I never played a diablo game or any variant of it, this seems like a good place to start.

scotcheggz

Shadow780 said:
It's amazing in 2009 I can play a game of this pedigree on a laptop with shitty integrated video card....awesome.

This is nice to know. I'm about to buy it for my laptop, which should be fine considering it has an Nvidia 8600M GT.

Looks like a lot of fun, but I've read it is addictive as hell, so I'll see you in a week GAF! :D

bdouble

falastini said:
Lot's of good impressions since this came out. I'm gonna give Torchlight a shot. I never played a diablo game or any variant of it, this seems like a good place to start.
Great place to start. They made this a fun single player game when they are usually even better multiplayer games. You will be hooked long before the mmo comes out

ToxicAdam

With the editor released and the promise of this new multiplayer mod, this game is going to be pretty incredible in about 12 months time.

If you are someone wanting to break into the gaming industry, this could be a golden ticket if you craft the right thing. This game could be to aspiring mod makers what HL2 was to many people 10 years ago.

scotcheggz

So I'm just downloading now, does anyone know if a melee vanquisher build is actually any good? I've always been a fan of assassin type characters and was hoping it would be viable. I read around a bit and had a look at the torchlight official forum, but nobody was giving too much up about it.

I'm always super paranoid abut my builds. HALP!

No45

scotcheggz said:
So I'm just downloading now, does anyone know if a melee vanquisher build is actually any good? I've always been a fan of assassin type characters and was hoping it would be viable. I read around a bit and had a look at the torchlight official forum, but nobody was giving too much up about it.

Wouldn't that require some kind of stealth? I don't have a Vanquisher yet, but I don't think there's a stealth mechanic/attribute in the game.

desverger

scotcheggz said:

I don't see why it couldn't work, you get your martial weapon and armor focus skills as other classes do. Keep in mind you'll only have 1 melee skill to use though, so you should also invest some in traps and such.

Lumine

Awwwe enchanting sucks. Some super lovely unique sword dropped for me. First unique item that I could actuall use and its exactly what I wanted, so I was really happy with it and its amazing stats. So I take it to the enchanter and "Oops! I removed all your enchantments!" ERGQIAGHARGREGYOU BASTeRD!:mad:( Out of frustration I started enchanting it again like crazy. Until I noticed I wasted every single penny I had and it's still not nearly as good as when I found it. :(

So yeah, I like the concept of enchanting, but this kind of sucks. I'm also thinking of putting my battle alchemist down for a while and play something else. It just doesn't seem nearly as effective or fun as many of the other builds you can make.

Still a great game though. Very addictive. :)

Almak

15000 for a respec potion is straight up rape! Ok I can understand why they would want to limit enchantment overuse, it was getting out of hand, but why in the gods name would they want to cripple my ability to respec my character and try out different builds like that? Sigh!

Almak said:
15000 for a respec potion is straight up rape! Ok I can understand why they would want to limit enchantment overuse, it was getting out of hand, but why in the gods name would they want to cripple my ability to respec my character and try out different builds like that? Sigh!

Can't you just cheat and try the different builds you want to try?

Personally I use this: skill calc thingy

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Chromax said:
Did they bump the enchant deleting rate to 50% or something?
I don't know about that (though they apparently did), they also broke the enchantment scaling: the enchanter always gives you shit enchants, when the enchants are supposed to scale with the "level" of your items.

Polk

Masklinn said:
I don't know about that (though they apparently did), they also broke the enchantment scaling: the enchanter always gives you shit enchants, when the enchants are supposed to scale with the "level" of your items.
each enchant gives you +2% to get disenchantment. And you start at 2%. Shrine is half of that.

colinp

Banned
Masklinn said:

Steam presumably got the hotfix to deal with this problem, and I think at the Torchlight forums you can find fixes for the other services.

My shitty wizard is definitely giving better enchants (steam version), though I'm getting to 18% chance of disenchantment and so am starting to lighten up on the particular weapon I am using now.

falastini

Well I started it up last night on normal (as they state is the default difficulty for noobs to this genre). I got through to the first boss and found the game to be boring. I was just mindlessly killing dudes, constantly having to sort through the minor upgrades and junk that was flowing off mobs, and I never had to chug a potion or worry about my health (also ended up accumulating like 25 pots). I thought "maybe I'm doing this wrong", so I restarted on hard... enjoyed myself a lot more this time. I'm gonna get into it tonight and see how it goes.

Macmanus

Is anyone else not playing major AAA releases because this game is consuming your free time? I have Dragon Age and CoD:MW2 taking the back seat to Torchlight. It's insanity.

CTLance

Since Mules hadn't crossed the minds of some, here's another space saver (great for dungeon crawls and general storage):

Regarding gem storage, don't forget to set aside items you find that have two slots. Simply put the gems in the sockets, you can effectively store two gems per slot that way.

Makes them slightly harder to manage, but hey, no pain, no gain. I thank the deities that recovering the gems is free. Just don't talk to the wrong disenchanter by accident. :D

My problem is that I'm drowning in uniques. Most of them are crap, but my OCD prevents me from ever getting rid of them. If it's orange or purple I need to add it to my stash, no matter the cost. I really need more storage space... or at least a "uinique item log" to allow me to look at them again after I sold them.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Macmanus said:
Is anyone else not playing major AAA releases because this game is consuming your free time? I have Dragon Age and CoD:MW2 taking the back seat to Torchlight. It's insanity.

I set aside a good deal of Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend for Torchlight, but Dragon Age has completely sapped my time since I started it. I watched CO-OP's take on Torchlight yesterday and it seemed like a nostalgic look at a game from so long ago.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Having only just discovered there's a bloody demo, i'm currently downloading. I will try to hold off until i've done some work though.:lol

Finding an awesome Purple Polearm at vendor - 4kg

Enchanting it to maybe get an extra socket - 2kg

Getting greedy and ending up losing all enchantments, then trying to get them back - 30kg

F.M.L

falastini said:
Well I started it up last night on normal (as they state is the default difficulty for noobs to this genre). I got through to the first boss and found the game to be boring. I was just mindlessly killing dudes, constantly having to sort through the minor upgrades and junk that was flowing off mobs, and I never had to chug a potion or worry about my health (also ended up accumulating like 25 pots). I thought "maybe I'm doing this wrong", so I restarted on hard... enjoyed myself a lot more this time. I'm gonna get into it tonight and see how it goes.
This game seems like the type where you can kind of make it as easy or as hard as you want. It can be a real cakewalk on the lower difficulties, or even on the harder ones if you over-level or have the right gear, but if you want challenge, there are definitely ways of finding it.

Macmanus said:
I wasn't planning to pick up MW2 or Dragon Age right away anyway, but Torchlight completely killed my playthrough of Borderlands. It's definitely my game of choice for the moment.

Top Bottom