• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Started the demo. Fuck i get 2 whole hours to play? Sweet.

Bad idea though, i want this bad now :(
It's sad when i can't even afford a £15 game ¬_¬

Shadow780 said:
It's amazing in 2009 I can play a game of this pedigree on a laptop with shitty integrated video card....awesome.

My work laptop that I've tried playing it on is a C2D 2.0 with Intel integrated video and it plays like crap (playable, but far from smooth) in 1024x768 with all details low as they go... what the heck am I doing wrong?

EDIT: It seems to fare a hell of a lot better in "full screen" mode rather than windowed... I prefer windowed because I need to see what else is going on but oh well.

No45

Cindres said:
Started the demo. Fuck i get 2 whole hours to play? Sweet.

Bad idea though, i want this bad now :(
It's sad when i can't even afford a £15 game ¬_¬
Works out closer to £12 I think if you get it direct from Runic.

Bebpo

Banned
I beat it! First real Diablo-esque game I've actually finished in my life, kinda stoked :) Played Diablo 1 and Shining Force Neo but never got all that far in either. Was really fun and decently challenging on hard as a Mage. The final boss took foreeeever though; so much HP >_< Dunno if I'll replay it as a melee character; maybe months down the line after some cool mods and multiplayer is out.

Definitely got my $20 worth. Here's my character at the end of the game. I was mainly using a bunch of minions + the roar spell to up their damage by 100% then I'd use elemental increase + 30% to me and spam the final attack spell whcih was maxed at lvl.10 and I had critical skill at about halfway so it added a good amount of damage. Took me about 16 hours.

torch345.jpg

falastini

Played a few hours into 2 characters and I'm having fun. Switching the difficulty to hard definitely made a difference. Not sure if I'm that into it, that it sucks me into the genre (and diablo 3), but it's a great game for $20.

Has anyone retired a character yet? I have a one at lvl 45, and in town it tells me I can retire the character, but it doesn't really make itself clear when it comes to what happens when you retire a character. I'd just hate to do it, then find out the heirloom is not worth it.

DJ_Lae

mysticstylez said:
Has anyone retired a character yet? I have a one at lvl 45, and in town it tells me I can retire the character, but it doesn't really make itself clear when it comes to what happens when you retire a character. I'd just hate to do it, then find out the heirloom is not worth it.

I'm curious, but I'm also kind of attached to my dude and I'd hate to erase him for something that's less than amazing. Maybe I should sacrifice him for the greater good.

DJ_Lae said:
I'm curious, but I'm also kind of attached to my dude and I'd hate to erase him for something that's less than amazing. Maybe I should sacrifice him for the greater good.

Thats my dilemma, I have other lower level characters, and it only took me 14 hrs to get to 45 so its not like it will take a long time. I just don't wanna sacrifice him and come up fucked in the ass.

Fusebox

Banned
FlyinJ said:
where does this game put it's savefile? I've been looking all over for it

I used the Steam "backup game" feature to transfer Torchlight off while I rebuilt my PC assuming the save file would be backed up too but it wasn't and I lost a lvl 35 destroyer. =(

It's in AppData somewhere btw man.

Cromulent_Word said:
There's quality walkthrough's by the games level design lead on the youtubes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu1KMHtAJsY

thanks!

EDIT: I guess it's not really noob friendly or i just need to play around with more editors. at least i figured out how to move around properly. All that's left is to figure out how to rotate pieces :lol.

EDIT: YAY. i found the tutorial and docs in the game folder :D Time to read and learn.

EDIT 3: LMFAO @ the Torched image in the Introductory guide :lol.

iamblades

mclaren777 said:
For those who have experience with both, is this game similar to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance?

mlr2jd.jpg

Same genre, but better.

This game probably has the best gameplay feel of any game in the genre, even Diablo II.

DII probably had more overall depth in the skill trees and the class variety, but aside from that and lacking multiplayer, the game is about the best in the genre.

Certainly worth grabbing the demo.

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
CTLance said:
My problem is that I'm drowning in uniques. Most of them are crap, but my OCD prevents me from ever getting rid of them. If it's orange or purple I need to add it to my stash, no matter the cost. I really need more storage space... or at least a "uinique item log" to allow me to look at them again after I sold them.
Can't you just turn your uniques into nice gems? (I don't know if you can, but I'm sure it's possible)

Kifimbo

The game will have a retail version. Same price. There's even a Mac version planned.

Encore Software & Runic Games Announce the January 5th, 2010 Retail Release of TORCHLIGHT®
LOS ANGELES--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Encore Software, Inc. and Runic Games announced today that they have entered into an exclusive publishing agreement to release the new single-player RPG game, Torchlight for PC. The product will hit retail shelves on January 5th, 2010.

Torchlight is the widely anticipated role-playing game, from the designers and leads of Diablo®, Diablo® II, Fate™, and Mythos. The game emphasizes a simple and intuitive interface, fast and furious action, and a colorful and compelling game world.

Max Schaefer, CEO of Runic Games, said, “We are very happy to partner with Encore in bringing Torchlight to retail locations. Torchlight is a AAA title for an affordable price, and in concert with the experienced Encore team, we look forward to bringing this game to all fans of the Action RPG genre.”

Torchlight will be available on January 5th, 2010 for Windows XP/Vista/7 with a MSRP of $19.99. A Mac version is also slated for release in 2010.

Encore published the digital download version of Torchlight at http://torchlight.encoreusa.com on October 29, 2009.

Almak

Ember lance plus critical hit modifier is pretty much a win button! :lol

Bebpo said:
I beat it! First real Diablo-esque game I've actually finished in my life, kinda stoked :) Played Diablo 1 and Shining Force Neo but never got all that far in either. Was really fun and decently challenging on hard as a Mage. The final boss took foreeeever though; so much HP >_< Dunno if I'll replay it as a melee character; maybe months down the line after some cool mods and multiplayer is out.

Definitely got my $20 worth. Here's my character at the end of the game. I was mainly using a bunch of minions + the roar spell to up their damage by 100% then I'd use elemental increase + 30% to me and spam the final attack spell whcih was maxed at lvl.10 and I had critical skill at about halfway so it added a good amount of damage. Took me about 16 hours.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/torch345.jpg
Thats some sick looking gear you got there. What are the stats on the shoulders and the helmet like?

mysticstylez said:
The new character starts out with an extra level of fame (so they get an extra skill point) and the heirloomed item has slightly better stats and lower requirements. I don't think it would be worth it at all if you have any attachment to your character, but it's a nice bonus if you were never planning to play that character again.

Masklinn said:
Can't you just turn your uniques into nice gems? (I don't know if you can, but I'm sure it's possible)
It works, four uniques turn into a regular gem. If you're a packrat it's still hard to justify, though... it's way easier to get another regular gem than it is to find the same unique item again.

CTLance

Masklinn said:
But if I did that (and I'm not sure if/how that works anyway) I would lose the unique item! TEH HORRORz! :lol

Seriously, I need a logbook of some sort so that getting rid of a unique still allows me to look at it. Or a museum hall. I think some sort of in-game museum and/or exhibition would be neat. Kind of like with Lufia 2 where you could look at the Iris treasures after you had found them.

Volodja

CTLance said:
But if I did that (and I'm not sure if/how that works anyway) I would lose the unique item! TEH HORRORz! :lol

Seriously, I need a logbook of some sort so that getting rid of a unique still allows me to look at it. Or a museum hall. I think some sort of in-game museum and/or exhibition would be neat. Kind of like with Lufia 2 where you could look at the Iris treasures after you had found them.
Creating another character and storing there the items seems like the best solution. Too bad that I have something in my mind that keeps me from doing so =|
I've also always had a problem with mules in D2.

Bebpo

Banned
Almak said:
Ember lance plus critical hit modifier is pretty much a win button! :lol

Thats some sick looking gear you got there. What are the stats on the shoulders and the helmet like?

torchequip.jpg

Worked well for me because I was all about my minions.

ToxicAdam

I wish this game had like a Pokedex for unique items. Just a list that gets checked off each time you find a unique item. Just something extra.

mclaren777 said:
For those who have experience with both, is this game similar to Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance?

Yes and no. It's similar but:

a) you don't directly control your character. Instead of using sticks and buttons to directly run, attack, block, cast, etc. in the directions you want, you just click on things with your mouse button quickly to kill them. You use your other hand to do keyboard commands to switch spells, drink potions, etc. It's much less of an action game, although there is still plenty of action, if you catch my meaning. In a way you're telling your character what to do, instead of doing it yourself.

b) this kind of game is so much more detailed with the spells, weapons, loot, etc. Tons more customization and options.

So it's kind of a trade off and in some aspects quite different. I love Torchlight but I kind of prefer the ability to directly control my character in the action game style such as in the Dark Alliance and Norrath games. It just feels a bit more satisfying to me. Most PC-only folk will laugh derisively at this opinion.

Vinci

Danish
Dr. Zoidberg said:
So it's kind of a trade off and in some aspects quite different. I love Torchlight but I kind of prefer the ability to directly control my character in the action game style such as in the Dark Alliance and Norrath games. It just feels a bit more satisfying to me. Most PC-only folk will laugh derisively at this opinion.

/ laughs derisively, even points

nlemmon86

Neo Member
So I take it everyone thinks this game is worth the price of admission.

Which is the best place to get it? I would say Steam but for some reason Steam runs really poorly on my PC.

LocoMrPollock said:
If my PC can barely run Titan's Quest, how would it do with this?

Mid settings. The game doesn't take much to run it. They even have a netbook mode, which should give you a good idea of the system requirements to the game.

Masta_Killah said:
Mid settings. The game doesn't take much to run it. They even have a netbook mode, which should give you a good idea of the system requirements to the game.

Also, there is a demo available, that lets you play more than enough to decide if it can run the game suitably.

nlemmon86

Neo Member
bogg said:
http://www.torchlightgame.com/
You can buy it from the official website.
Be warned though, this game is like crack.

Yeah, I downloaded 1.12 from another site worked like a charm (the demo). Tried the demo 1.12b from torchlightgame.com and it was corrupted three times in a row. So, kinda nervous about purchasing directly.

How do patches work?

Where do you install mods? trying to install one that gets rid of identifying items but there is no instructions and searching for faqs doesnt seem to give a answer, or I am blind.

Verilligo

GhostRidah said:
Where do you install mods? trying to install one that gets rid of identifying items but there is no instructions and searching for faqs doesnt seem to give a answer, or I am blind.
It's a genuine question. Wherever you have Torchlight installed, there should be a folder called Application Data or AppData. Inside that, search for the Runic Games folder, Torchlight, and then Mods. Be sure to put the entire folder in the zip containing the mod into the Mods folder, instead of taking out all the items inside the folder and placing those into the Mods folder. Makes things much cleaner overall doing it that way.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Dr. Zoidberg said:

I wouldn't laugh. I remember playing the Playstation version of Diablo at a friend's house back in the day and graphics / loading aside the direct control scheme worked well and was quite fun. Of course it all really falls apart if you want more accurate control or are trying to play a ranged class. I think a combination of direct controls for movement (or at least the option to do so) and mouse selection for abilities / combat, etc... is ideal. Sacred 2 definitely pulled it off fairly well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bidermaier said:
This game has hopefully ended the "Diablo 3 graphics are too soft" discussion.

Why would it end that discussion? This is Torchlight and has nothing to do with Diablo. The game obviously has a far less serious tone. The softened / colorful graphics wouldn't work with Diablo's setting in my opinion and that is why people were surprised when Blizzard first unveiled it.

Verilligo

vicktormerv said:
Just wondering, if I play the demo I can keep my char file for when I buy it right? ( soooo bought. )
Exactly so. All purchasing the game does is unlocking the rest of the game for play. Otherwise you have the full game already installed on your computer and all saves remain.

Saige

I must do better.
Thanks to Idle Thumbs I managed to tear myself away from Dragon Age just long enough to get hooked on this game.

I’m almost level 25 playing as a Vanquisher and I had my first run in with the shitty wizard, only did a single enchant on my god awesome shoulder pads but no I have to go use my crappy back up pair now...

Priz

Everyone's been talking about it, played the demo and once I hit the message that it was the end of the demo and I couldn't go any farther down, I quit the game, paid for it and went back to playing. :) Took about 3-4 times to get that far (not a lot of free time these days), but I do play when I can and really enjoy it. I'm really impressed by it.

Has anyone recognized the in-town song as being the first minute or so of Nightwish's "The Poet and the Pendulum"?

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x34lgm_nightwish-the-poet-and-the-pendulum

Every time I hear it, I think it's that first minute and 15 seconds or so...

Almak

Bebpo said:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v297/bebpo/torchequip.jpg

Worked well for me because I was all about my minions.
Nice! I'm doing pets too so that looks especially delicious to me.
Here's my dude so far:

2hhf79x.jpg

Top Bottom