• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Moobabe said:
I'm dual wielding wands :s
Ditto. But I guess it's because shields enable blocking (dual wielding wands, block chance is always 0% unless you put points in "Block and Parry"). Given alchemists tend to have shit defense and barely any HP, block% can save your ass.

Hey I just finished the game. This has been my first Diablo game. Here is my bad ass looking destroyer.

2zsodxj.jpg

I am going to keep playing. That is for sure. No sings of boreness yet.
I wish the devs had implemented steam archivements and stats.

ToxicAdam

I made it to level 30 of the Shadow Vault last night. Regular monsters have about 25-40,000 hps. Some of the tougher bosses have (approx) 250,000 hps. :lol Luckily my crits are about in th 15-18k range.

Verilligo

Almak said:
Check it out guys! Full Vulture/Transmuter gear! :D
That a Pandemonium you have equipped for your staff? I've been using one lately with my minion build, it's been serving me incredibly well. I think I have, with Burning Bind active, a +200% Minion Damage boost going on. That plus Frailty to neuter armor and Ember Phase to escape and Ember Bolt to keep anything close from staying near me has been a really fantastic combo. It can be a bit of a pain constantly re-applying buffs (Burning Bind, Thorned Minions, Ember Shield, and Elemental Protection are my current list of buffs I have to refresh), but the benefits so far have outweighed any annoyance. Usually I can just sit back and let the minion army handle everything. If they can't, I also have Elemental Overload and Dervish available for going hyper mode on things, generally champions.

Albeit I do have the combined Golem mod that replaces the Imps and Alchemical Golems, but I think even in vanilla it could be pretty awesome. The only thing I worry about in vanilla is the durability of the Imps, of which I have been told is pretty pathetic. I'm also on Normal difficulty, so mileage may vary.

Almak

Verilligo said:
That a Pandemonium you have equipped for your staff? I've been using one lately with my minion build, it's been serving me incredibly well. I think I have, with Burning Bind active, a +200% Minion Damage boost going on. That plus Frailty to neuter armor and Ember Phase to escape and Ember Bolt to keep anything close from staying near me has been a really fantastic combo. It can be a bit of a pain constantly re-applying buffs (Burning Bind, Thorned Minions, Ember Shield, and Elemental Protection are my current list of buffs I have to refresh), but the benefits so far have outweighed any annoyance. Usually I can just sit back and let the minion army handle everything. If they can't, I also have Elemental Overload and Dervish available for going hyper mode on things, generally champions.

Albeit I do have the combined Golem mod that replaces the Imps and Alchemical Golems, but I think even in vanilla it could be pretty awesome. The only thing I worry about in vanilla is the durability of the Imps, of which I have been told is pretty pathetic. I'm also on Normal difficulty, so mileage may vary.
This is the staff:

ml3yw2.jpg

Your defence set is almost identical to mine (Ember shield, Elemental protection, Ember Sentry are the ones I use right now). My offence is split between Arcane (mainly Ember Lance and Ember Strike) and Golem (both Alchemical and Beam). Been working out pretty well so far for me. I didn't specifically invest into any particular minion buffs but my current armour set makes up for that with + minion damage/defence. I also heard that imps are underpowered, so I didn't invest in them at all.
Been working out pretty good for me so far (floor 31). Haven't really given much attention to mods though (apart from the respec mod).

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
lakesideflight said:
damn this game looks awesome, I need a new pc, argh

Not for Torchlight. I played it on a three-year-old Macbook with an integrated videocard and a gig of ram. Wasn't always pretty, but it ran well through the whole game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
AndyD said:
Is there a pick up all items mod?

Not yet. There are some guys working stuff like that but noone seems to have found a proper solution up to now.

The same with the infinite stash. That is something which seems to be unmoddable. The workaround with extra stashes is the best solution right now.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Before i buy this when i get money and bump up the priority on my "to buy" list, i need to know. How's the longevity?
How long does the main story take? What is there to do after that? How is the longevity even though it doesn't have Multiplayer?

dmann

Wow... never heard of this game until this thread. Looks interesting and extremely fun.

Will be getting this once I am done playing Dragon Age.

tjohn86

My only gripe with this game is that life / mana leech dont work with skills. As a destroyer that means I basically pop a pot every 10 seconds. Doesnt make any sense.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
tjohn86 said:
My only gripe with this game is that life / mana leech dont work with skills. As a destroyer that means I basically pop a pot every 10 seconds. Doesnt make any sense.

Your only gripe? Really?
Sir, choose your pill.

Life leech effects on skills
I made here a mod to make all class spells use your life leech effects !
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6239

SkillsLeech(HP and MP leech with skills)
This mod adds HP and MP leech to skills(if you have this effect on your items).
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6118

All to be found in this thread I made a few hours ago ->
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6610

Toma

Cindres said:
Before i buy this when i get money and bump up the priority on my "to buy" list, i need to know. How's the longevity?
How long does the main story take? What is there to do after that? How is the longevity even though it doesn't have Multiplayer?

The "main" campaign can be completed in about.. 7 hours or something like that. But really dont let that scare you off. First of all its not over then. There is an infinite (!) dungeon afterwards which gives you more and more difficult monsters to defeat.
And the possibilities for the modding community are almost endless. I know there is already someone working on a survival mode mod, which is already partially functioning. I expect there to be a lot of extra campaigns and extra "mode mods" in the not too far away future.

Oh and if you have a hang for creating stuff yourself the Editor of Torchlight is worth the 20$ alone. Easy, graphical, rather intuitive and with lots of possibilities.
I love to check the forums over there to see what they came up with. They had like 100 mods programmed before the editor was even shipped.

But in the end.. its Diablo. The main narrative is rather weak compared to Diablo. So if you enjoy building up your character with awesome loot then that is definitely your game, but feel free to ask other stuff if youre still not sure.

Verilligo

Almak said:
This is the staff:

Your defence set is almost identical to mine (Ember shield, Elemental protection, Ember Sentry are the ones I use right now). My offence is split between Arcane (mainly Ember Lance and Ember Strike) and Golem (both Alchemical and Beam). Been working out pretty well so far for me. I didn't specifically invest into any particular minion buffs but my current armour set makes up for that with + minion damage/defence. I also heard that imps are underpowered, so I didn't invest in them at all.
Been working out pretty good for me so far (floor 31). Haven't really given much attention to mods though (apart from the respec mod).
The minion buffs are really only necessary once you get past the main game and start delving into the Shadow Vault. Burning Bind is the most useful, since it gives a +140% Minion Damage buff at level 10 all by itself. Unfortunately Ember Sentry doesn't scale very well past the main game, though that's something that could be easily fixed if you wanted to mod it in.

I'd definitely play through the game the first time without mods, though, save for the respec mod. Once you get past the mines and go into the Shadow Vault, mods become more attractive because a lot of the skills tend to max out at a certain damage level and enemy stats begin to exceed skill power. Pyre is a pretty big example of that, after a certain point enemy fire resistance starts to become larger than the damage Pyre actually inflicts. Frailty can knock that problem out cold, but it's not a skill to be relying on too heavily due to requiring close proximity. That said, if your minions have all the aggro and you feel safe, I typically Ember Phase (only level one is really ever necessary) into the combat zone, hit Frailty, and then immediately Ember Phase out again. Without buffs and Frailty, my Beam Golem usually hits for around ~4000. With the two, it ratchets up to around ~20,000 a hit. Unnecessary for the main game, but very useful in the Shadow Vault where HP counts become ludicrously large.

tjohn86

Toma said:
Your only gripe? Really?
Sir, choose your pill.

Life leech effects on skills
I made here a mod to make all class spells use your life leech effects !
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6239

SkillsLeech(HP and MP leech with skills)
This mod adds HP and MP leech to skills(if you have this effect on your items).
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6118

All to be found in this thread I made a few hours ago ->
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6610

Thanks haha. Ill install those when I get home. Still feels like something that should be part of the default game though.

Toma

tjohn86 said:
Thanks haha. Ill install those when I get home. Still feels like something that should be part of the default game though.

They may not be compatible with each other. Havent tested that. You wont destroy your game when two mods arent working, though. Simply delete one mod again and you should be fine. Just thought I'd mention that since its often problematic to install 2 mods altering the same thing.

Toma said:
A few minutes ago someone came up with different versions:

A Banker, who takes your items and 4 stashes. 2 individual mods
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6685&p=67067#p67067
Nice! For now I'll probably stick with using the extra regular stashes, but the banker looks like it's one step closer to a large tabbed storage.

I wouldn't mind the current shared stash setup if there was a much larger regular stash. Anything to reduce the amount of inventory juggling and let me hold on to more of my uniques.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Just took a look at the mods section on their forums. All this is amazing stuff (not all the mods, just in general).
This is all really uplifting after having my doubts about the future of PC gaming this week, good to see there are developers still putting themselves out their for PC gamers.

Toma

Cindres said:
Just took a look at the mods section on their forums. All this is amazing stuff (not all the mods, just in general).
This is all really uplifting after having my doubts about the future of PC gaming this week, good to see there are developers still putting themselves out their for PC gamers.

Exactly my feelings about that. Even though they really need a few more mods for their forums >_> They react sloooow as hell. Which is understandable as they are all developers dividing their time. Hopefully they get to promote a few new mods in the coming days.

Nice! For now I'll probably stick with using the extra regular stashes, but the banker looks like it's one step closer to a large tabbed storage.

Up to now this "Banker" is only a stash in disguise. But he mentioned the possibility of having a real merchant being the Banker, so that you have 3 tabs (Misc, Weapon, armor) for containing the loot. Normally when entering a dungeon their inventory gets resetted and scrambled though. They dont know how to fix that yet.
This is probably the fastest mod scene I have ever seen for such a relatively small game.

Any news on the financial performance of this game yet? I like the price point and the publishing model they're taking... hope it works out for them.

It's been nearly a decade since I played a "Diablo" game and I'm loving this return to the genre.

I'm so pissed I got to the 15th floor of Shadow Vault, and died, and me thinking I already had a town portal up, I chose the option to warp back to town and not lose anything........oh I lost alright. Now I gotta start back at the first floor.

MattyGrovesOrMe said:
Any news on the financial performance of this game yet? I like the price point and the publishing model they're taking... hope it works out for them.
Not that I know of, but it was #5 on both Steam and Direct2Drive's weekly sales charts, so it's off to a good start for sure.

It'd be interesting to know what their expectations were, though -- since this version is kind of a test-run/advertisement for the MMO, maybe they priced it lower just to get the name out there and didn't expect huge profits right away.

Toma

ToxicAdam said:
Skills to 20 would be great. I have a level 62 toon and all my needed skills maxed to 10.

Works like a charm :)

Any place I can go to find builds? I'm terrible at building toons.

The pack entails:

Brighter Map: For Diablo style map overlay play.
Dark Ambient Lighting: more darkness in dark surroundings. Doesnt make the game "dark"though. Try it out.
Faster Walking 1.5: Love this mod <3, multiplies the characters walking speed be 1.5x
Fish Mash: a third size of fish and fish are transmutable
LVLMod: Enables levelling to level 999 and fame 200
More Maps: Giving more random possibilities for the random map settings
Never Maps: Gives random maps from 30-40, 50-60 and so on until 101-1000, and deletes the 20-???? maps.
New Stash: Gives a new second stash in town.
PotionStacksize: Potions and scrolls can be stacked up to 200
Shaped Gems: Makes gems more distinguishable.
Skillmod: 20 skill levels
Small floaty text: Didnt want to change every text in the game as that looks weird. This one only changes stuff like the damage or mana/hp leech.
Tier_3 Ancient: Gives another item variety after epic. The same weapons and armor but adjusted to higher levels
Total Respec Mod: You can buy respec potions for stat and skill points.
WeaponVariety: <3 Gives minor creatures different weapons. Looks awesome =)

different filhosters (you only need to dl one):
http://rapidshare.com/files/306353928/mods.rar.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/9121683/e20d3a54/mods.html

Extract the rar into the mods folder and you should be fine.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
Played with the editor a bit today.

It would have been nice if their youtube tutorial series started with: "How to fucking make a room" :lol

Toma said:
Works like a charm :)

The pack entails:

Brighter Map: For Diablo style map overlay play.
Dark Ambient Lighting: more darkness in dark surroundings. Doesnt make the game "dark"though. Try it out.
Faster Walking 1.5: Love this mod <3, multiplies the characters walking speed be 1.5x
Fish Mash: a third size of fish and fish are transmutable
LVLMod: Enables levelling to level 999 and fame 200
More Maps: Giving more random possibilities for the random map settings
Never Maps: Gives random maps from 30-40, 50-60 and so on until 101-1000, and deletes the 20-???? maps.
New Stash: Gives a new second stash in town.
PotionStacksize: Potions and scrolls can be stacked up to 200
Shaped Gems: Makes gems more distinguishable.
Skillmod: 20 skill levels
Small floaty text: Didnt want to change every text in the game as that looks weird. This one only changes stuff like the damage or mana/hp leech.
Tier_3 Ancient: Gives another item variety after epic. The same weapons and armor but adjusted to higher levels
Total Respec Mod: You can buy respec potions for stat and skill points.
WeaponVariety: <3 Gives minor creatures different weapons. Looks awesome =)

different filhosters (you only need to dl one):
http://rapidshare.com/files/306353928/mods.rar.html
http://www.2shared.com/file/9121683/e20d3a54/mods.html

Extract the rar into the mods folder and you should be fine.

Ah cool....going to give this a try.

Toma

sprsk said:

It would have been nice if their youtube tutorial series started with: "How to fucking make a room" :lol

I could explain the basics of basic room creation if you want. There was a german tutorial which was pretty helpful to me.

tomasdk

Thank you for pointing the game out for me, got it and loving it.
I wish one of these loot games had an in-game check list for all set an unique items as I always try to collect them all. Had a huge stash of uniques/sets in Diablo2 and I'm doing the same here already heh. I'll need some of those stash mods soon.

sprsk said:

i think there is a folder where the editor is installed that teaches i think maybe not IDK.

Has anyone collected a full set yet? got 3 pieces today and now none wont drop, I really wish this had a online feature so we can trade items and complete sets.

torchlight-2009-11-14-17-12-38-38.jpg

torchlight-2009-11-14-17-18-10-93.jpg

Volodja

Yeah, I must be the luckiest guy in all of Torchlight, 3rd time that a 6% of wiping item gets wiped. That's like half the time that I've tried to enchant an item with that wiping probability. Bye bye bonuses on my Chest Armor, now I still have to use it just like for its armor because I've nothing better. Sigh.

Toma

Volodja said:
Yeah, I must be the luckiest guy in all of Torchlight, 3rd time that a 6% of wiping item gets wiped. That's like half the time that I've tried to enchant an item with that wiping probability. Bye bye bonuses on my Chest Armor, now I still have to use it just like for its armor because I've nothing better. Sigh.

I try to use it VERY often, and one time I went to the enchanter with a super awesome weapon I just found (~200 life leech) to get it at least once enchanted. *POOF* Gone.
Thats the reason I am thinking about installing a mod which deletes the wiping probability. There are ways to keep that still balanced though. The first mod I can think of simply makes enchantments WAY more expensive and the other one raises the possibility of getting the "nothing was entchanted" method. I am probably leaning more towards the first one.
Its awesome that you can play this game as you like. There are about 160 mods out there right now and you can build together your own, perfect Torchlight.
These 20 Bucks were sooo well spent.

Working mods to choose from, regarding this topic:

Old Enchanter & Nice Enchanter
What this mod does is basically put the enchanter and shrine rates the way they were before the v1.12 patch.
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5068

Slower Disenchant
i've slowed down the rate of increase for diesnchant (but not eliminated it) to start at 1.5%, and increase .75% thereafter. prices are unaffected.
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6930

EnchantMod(never wipe)

This mod is making enchants never wipe your items.
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=4627

Fairweather Enchanting

The idea here is to remove the enchant wipe chance as it is merely a frustration in my opinion, while at the same time making it so enchanting cannot be exploited
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5757

No BS Enchanting

This is, in my opinion, how it should have worked from the beginning.
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=5577

DaveKap

Banned
Toma said:
Working mods to choose from, regarding this topic:

Nice compilation! I prefer the balance being "chance of no enchantment" but I'll try the "expensive enchantments" version since none of your links seem to be the "chance of no enchantment" mod.

I used to think the "chance of disenchantment" was meant in a "will disenchant any previous enchantments you've added" instead of "wipe the entire item" so once I went up and enchanted my unique armor at 2% and saw the entire item wipe, I pretty much swore off ever enchanting anything that wasn't generic. Glad to see a lot of initiative among the modders to stay balanced!

On another note, anyone know why my Steam version hasn't updated to 1.12 despite the Runic forum saying that Steam is already updated?

No45

DaveKap said:
On another note, anyone know why my Steam version hasn't updated to 1.12 despite the Runic forum saying that Steam is already updated?
Version information is wrong (On all versions I think). It shows 1.11, but you have the latest version.

Naeblish

Yup me too, even took me off dragon age, which is my goty but the loot sucks.

Found a fish yesterday that gave me +50% magic find and +200% gold find, first mob i killed dropped a gold item, awesome! I also like how gambling can generate some awesome items.

Volodja

Toma said:
I try to use it VERY often, and one time I went to the enchanter with a super awesome weapon I just found (~200 life leech) to get it at least once enchanted. *POOF* Gone.
Thats the reason I am thinking about installing a mod which deletes the wiping probability. There are ways to keep that still balanced though. The first mod I can think of simply makes enchantments WAY more expensive and the other one raises the possibility of getting the "nothing was entchanted" method. I am probably leaning more towards the first one.
Its awesome that you can play this game as you like. There are about 160 mods out there right now and you can build together your own, perfect Torchlight.
These 20 Bucks were sooo well spent.
Eh, I'm really not keen to using mods on the first playthrough, the only exception I made was for the Respec Potion because of the slight nerf of Ember Spear that made my build unreliable on the later levels. Thanks anyway and great job on the mod list.
After all I'm doing pretty well on the later levels, I just have to hope I'll find another good piece of armor. It's just the frustration of loosing all that good stuff that really shot down my will to play for that evening. At least it didn't have any vital bonuses, aside from the fact that now my resistances are too low.

Top Bottom