• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Lame... I bought a respec potion so I could reallocate the first point (since approximately 0% of my damage comes from magic weapons), and it doesn't refund that point. 15,000 gold down the drain. :(

ToxicAdam

I was getting burned out on my main (level 70 now), so I started a new character. A Vanquisher on Very Hard (Hardcore). What a great way to breathe some life into the game. Surprisingly it's been fairly manageable .... and dare I say, easy? I'm on level 15 (of the dungeon) right now, I'm awaiting the bump in difficulty once I hit level 30.

Vanquisher has been alot of fun. I have picked a pure range build and have been having great luck finding guns that are very powerful. I've pretty much just stuck with the basic skills (riccochet, armor, range damage+).

rohlfinator said:
Lame... I bought a respec potion so I could reallocate the first point (since approximately 0% of my damage comes from magic weapons), and it doesn't refund that point. 15,000 gold down the drain. :(
You should've changed the value of the pot. (unless you want to keep as is)

I just respec every floor with new skills to make it less tedious.

Edit: Yeah... You never get that very first point. It sucks. :/

theMrCravens said:
You should've changed the value of the pot. (unless you want to keep as is)

I just respec every floor with new skills to make it less tedious.

Edit: Yeah... You never get that very first point. It sucks. :/
I don't mind the price as it is, since I think it makes a pretty fair balance between no respec and free respec. I might do what you're doing once I get bored of my character.

GhostRidah said:
didnt know if you die in the shadow vault you have to start from first floor?
There are no preset portals into the Shadow Vault except the entrance, if that's what you mean. You can still respawn where you died or at the beginning of the level if you take the penalties, or you can use a town portal. I usually throw up town portals as I go, so if I die I can respawn in town and get right back to the same level.

My destroyer and the carnage left behind.
torchlight-2009-11-16-18-29-29-10.jpg

torchlight-2009-11-16-18-31-03-90.jpg

torchlight-2009-11-16-18-32-11-29.jpg

torchlight-2009-11-16-18-32-13-62.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
ShineALight said:
Are they are working, publicly available scenario mods?

No "scenario" mods yet. There are quite a few map mods giving you different kinds of obstacles to overcome/monsters to slain. And a few new quest givers.
The real new "missions"/scenarios are still in the waiting line, though.
But there are quite a few guys working on bringing some out quite soon.

I suggest to check the Ultimate Modlist Thread, every 2-3 days to see what is new.
http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=6610

Dreavus

I made a Destroyer with the intention of making a tank and maxing my block % as far as I could, using a shield, block and parry, and the shadow armor skill. I'm level 26 now and it turns out the chance to block is capped at 50%. =(

With maxed shadow armor and nearly maxed block and parry I can pretty much reach 50% already while duel wielding. I guess there's really no point in using a shield over a second weapon aside from some extra armor? That's kind of disappointing. :p

Javaman

BAH. I'm stuck with an old quest item now. I restarted going through the main dungeon and ended up getting a glyph but the lady is gone and I can't sell or move it to a chest. I read on another forum that you might be able to drag it out of inventory and without releasing the mouse, quit the game but I hadn't tried yet. Anyone else have this issue?

ToxicAdam

Dreavus said:
I made a Destroyer with the intention of making a tank and maxing my block % as far as I could, using a shield, block and parry, and the shadow armor skill. I'm level 26 now and it turns out the chance to block is capped at 50%. =(

With maxed shadow armor and nearly maxed block and parry I can pretty much reach 50% already while duel wielding. I guess there's really no point in using a shield over a second weapon aside from some extra armor? That's kind of disappointing. :p

Yes, but the extra armor can be pretty substantial if you find the right shield. I'm still using a shield at level 60 and have a defense value around 4500.

I'm so excited to see what these guys come up with next. Torchlight was such a pleasant surprise for me. I can't help but compare my experience with Torchlight with that of Borderlands. I know they're different games but boy could Gearbox take a page from Runic and put some more polish in their product.

bdouble

Gully State said:
I'm so excited to see what these guys come up with next. Torchlight was such a pleasant surprise for me. I can't help but compare my experience with Torchlight with that of Borderlands. I know they're different games but boy could Gearbox take a page from Runic and put some more polish in their product.
Well guess what its going to be Mythos but Torchlight. Same gameplay same universe same engine and graphics but online. I can not freaking wait.

ZZMitch

Just found out this game can run on my laptop... Surprisingly low specs :D

I am probably going to pick this up... looks like a great loot game! Borderlands has me hooked on the sub-genre.

neoism

Thanks for the $15 sell, but can you play this without internet if I buy it through steam? Also can you download it from Direct2Drive as many times as you like!
Edit lol nevermind:lol

Also WTF, I already had my main email as already in use, soo.. How do I have an account with this site, is it owned by another corp or something!:lol

Jube3

neoism said:
Thanks for the $15 sell, but can you play this without internet if I buy it through steam? Also can you download it from Direct2Drive as many times as you like!
Edit lol nevermind:lol

Also WTF, I already had my main email as already in use, soo.. How do I have an account with this site, is it owned by another corp or something!:lol

Yea IGN/fileplanet

neoism

Holy shit, this game is sooo awesome! I played the demo on steam and thought I'd have to start over, it started where I stopped last time! Also I my use the level 999 mod will I be branded a cheater? Also where do I put mods! Using windows 7

lordy88

neoism said:
Holy shit, this game is sooo awesome! I played the demo on steam and thought I'd have to start over, it started where I stopped last time! Also I my use the level 999 mod will I be branded a cheater? Also where do I put mods! Using windows 7

I haven't played torchlight yet, but from what I understand, you can only be branded a cheater if you've used the console to some degree.

gillty

Banned
neoism said:
C:\Users\<USER>\AppData\Roaming\runic games\torchlight\mods

ZZMitch

Oh my god is this game amazing... It makes me wonder why I have been spending most of my time on consoles and tells me that I need to get a gaming PC so I can enjoy all these titles when they come along, not just the rare one that has low system requirements...

Dang this game is so much fun!

DaveKap

Banned
Toma said:
The first mod I can think of simply makes enchantments WAY more expensive and the other one raises the possibility of getting the "nothing was entchanted" method.

Didn't get an answer, but which mod is the "raises possibility of getting 'nothing was enchanted'" mod? Your list didn't seem to include it and I'd rather use that mod.

Valru said:
http://www.giantbomb.com/the-future-of-torchlight/17-1676/

nice interview with max schaefer mostly concerning the mmo

Great interview.. I'm surprised they didn't ask about PvP. I wish they'd just do more torchlight content as an mmo isn't something I personally would want but I'm rooting for these guys to pull it off.

It's good to know that they're releasing more art assets down the line for modders. I can't wait for the crazy dungeons that the modding community is going to put out for this game.

Decado

Hmm. Too bad. I thought this was going to be a developer to watch, but if they're going the MMO route, they're as good as gone, AFAIC.

theultimo

Decado said:
Hmm. Too bad. I thought this was going to be a developer to watch, but if they're going the MMO route, they're as good as gone, AFAIC.
Did you get a chance to play Mythos? Same developers, same engine (upgraded a little), and its basically the online version of this game. From what I've experienced so far with Torchlight and Mythos, I am very exited to see what they will all to the multiplayer scene. Nothing comes close so far to Diablo II for Multiplayer Loot games..

I absolutely hate the fact that I'm almost finished with the story and I haven't replaced the chestpiece or necklace that I got in hour 2 (blue and green respectively) on my lore alchemist. Meanwhile I'm picking up plenty of orange 1 handed swords/rifles and pistol, none of which I use since I dual wield wands. I'm a loot whore...yes I know...

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
ACE 1991 said:
Hmmm... I'm having trouble figuring out how to transfer my character data over to another computer.

Same problem here. Would love to transfer my character between work and home.

Saves are stored in %APPDATA%\Runic Games\Torchlight\Save

As far as transferring them between computers, you can transfer them manually or use something like Dropbox or Live Mesh to sync the folders across the computers.

A word of advice for anyone thinking about retiring a character....don't do it. The heirloom weapon I handed down to my lvl 1 character cannot be used until I hit lvl 33 with it, and it isn't really that impressive. The only cool this is that the item bears the name of the character you retired. I wish I can go back and un-retire my 49 Vanquisher.

Verilligo

mysticstylez said:
A word of advice for anyone thinking about retiring a character....don't do it. The heirloom weapon I handed down to my lvl 1 character cannot be used until I hit lvl 33 with it, and it isn't really that impressive. The only cool this is that the item bears the name of the character you retired. I wish I can go back and un-retire my 49 Vanquisher.
If you don't mind doing some hex editing, you can un-retire them. I think it's somewhere on the Torchlight forums how to do such a thing.

Verilligo said:
If you don't mind doing some hex editing, you can un-retire them. I think it's somewhere on the Torchlight forums how to do such a thing.

Thanks a ton for the tip dude, read it on the forum, was actually easy to do. Now I got my 49 back....YAY.

JoeMartin

Finished my 2nd play through the main quest. Level 78 with a player-made class, Barbarian.

Let's just say it wasn't balanced all to well, despite being fun as hell (my Shockwave crits around the 54000 area).

Almost done playing through this awesome game. I didn't know pure loot games could be this fun! Great art style, very playable, good interface (although I wouldn't mind mappable buttons).

I'm looking forward what the mod community comes up with... And what the Torchlight based MMO will look like, for that matter.

For those who've played both: how does this game compare to Titan Quest? Is that one also worrth checking out?

bdouble

I think TQ is definitly worth checking out. But only with the Imortal throne expansion. Adds a bunch of great features. I enjoyed the game quite a bit.

Odious Tea said:
I thought Titan Quest feels kinda lifeless in comparison to Diablo or Torchlight. It's mechanically sound, but it's missing something.

I agree with you. It feels pretty lifeless, and there are too many loot drops. You don't use the same gear for more than an hour at a time. It makes good gear feel replaceable. I thought the boss fights were cool though... fighting against the big ol' greek gods.

The skills system in TQ is interesting but a bit unforgiving. I never bothered to go far honestly, it just never grabbed me like Torchlight or D2. Torchlight is heavily refined and streamlined in a way that makes similar games that came before it seem rather dated.

ToxicAdam

TQ doesn't really hit until you get to the third act. Then it becomes insanely awesome the second time you have to go through.

I can see why people would get bored in the first 1/3 of the game. The gear isn't too dynamic and the skills are a bit time.

Of all the Diablo-clones I have ever played, playing as a Harbinger in Titan's Quest is the most fun I have ever had.

Top Bottom