• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Chrange

Banned
perryfarrell said:
Almost done playing through this awesome game. I didn't know pure loot games could be this fun! Great art style, very playable, good interface (although I wouldn't mind mappable buttons).

I'm looking forward what the mod community comes up with... And what the Torchlight based MMO will look like, for that matter.

For those who've played both: how does this game compare to Titan Quest? Is that one also worrth checking out?

lol - I bought both games on Steam today. I played an hour of Torchlight as the warrior class, then jumped into Titan Quest and played a Pyro for a few hours. Torchlight was more fun right away, but I think Titan Quest will have a lot more going for it after a few hours.

TheExodu5

Banned
Chrange said:
lol - I bought both games on Steam today. I played an hour of Torchlight as the warrior class, then jumped into Titan Quest and played a Pyro for a few hours. Torchlight was more fun right away, but I think Titan Quest will have a lot more going for it after a few hours.

I think they're both great.

If you want some extra mobs, I highly recommend getting the 3x mod for 3x the monsters and bosses in Titan Quest. :D The game gets really awesome in the third act, as mentioned previously. It's better balanced for end game as well...much more Diablo-like.

Torchlight is still in it's infancy though. I think we're going to see a lot more great things to come for it.

PhlivoSong said:
I agree with you. It feels pretty lifeless, and there are too many loot drops. You don't use the same gear for more than an hour at a time. It makes good gear feel replaceable. I thought the boss fights were cool though... fighting against the big ol' greek gods.

You didn't get very far. Good gear is hard to come by when getting to the second playthrough. I did hours upon hours of Act 1 Epic boss runs to gear up. It's pretty much exactly like Diablo 2...you replace your gear constantly early on, and once you get to the higher difficulties, you'll cherish every unique you get. I will agree with the fact that there are too many drops, though that is easily remedied by making your alt key only display greens and above.

My main problems in Titan Quest are the interface (namely, using multiple skills, as you don't get the option of quick switch ala Diablo 2), and the need to allocate stat points. Not nearly as streamlined as Torchlight.

DaveKap

Banned
Need a bit of help with Torchlight.

I've reached level 30 and the 31st floor dungeon and I'm finding it pretty impossible to continue with my warrior class. The difficulty seems to have massively jumped as certain enemies can now kill me in 2 hits, there is no gear dropping that is any better than what I already have, all my resistances are at least 100, and the only way I can play any dungeons that aren't this difficult is by buying lower-level maps. Then I end up with low-level drops that do no help and barely any XP.

Without modding, any suggestions for what I may be doing wrong?

For reference, I'm a dual-wielder with 2 very high damage axes that only manage 40hp leech.

ToxicAdam

All I can tell you is to buy more health potions. I was chugging about 30-40 for every level past 30. You might even have to leave at mid-level to buy some more potions (and dump inventory). At this stage of the game you should be picking up EVERYTHING and reselling it. You are going to get crunched for cash because you will be buying so many potions.

I don't recommend buying the maps. I find they are a bit harder than the normal levels (as they have more bosses and more monsters overall). In some instances I was LOSING money when using them.

Also, max out your armor. Go piece by piece and evaluate them. If you are wearing a unique piece and you find a blue with a high armor rating .. use the blue one instead. I know its hard to give up those set/unique pieces for a boring piece of armor, but you have to make a jump at some point. You can always enchant the blue to get some extra bonuses tacked on for much cheaper than the unique.

DaveKap said:
Need a bit of help with Torchlight.

I've reached level 30 and the 31st floor dungeon and I'm finding it pretty impossible to continue with my warrior class. The difficulty seems to have massively jumped as certain enemies can now kill me in 2 hits, there is no gear dropping that is any better than what I already have, all my resistances are at least 100, and the only way I can play any dungeons that aren't this difficult is by buying lower-level maps. Then I end up with low-level drops that do no help and barely any XP.

Without modding, any suggestions for what I may be doing wrong?

For reference, I'm a dual-wielder with 2 very high damage axes that only manage 40hp leech.

Get Frost Shield in the Titan talent tree and max it out. Also, stock up on a ton of potions. Even though you don't want to use mods, I suggest you do. There's a potion stack mod that allows you to stack up to 100, as well as a respec mod. These two mods should be mandatory imo at higher levels.

If you don't want to mod, then your only option is the dungeon maps. You'll need to grind in order to level and also to get loot and potion drops.

Masta_Killah said:
Get Frost Shield in the Titan talent tree and max it out. Also, stock up on a ton of potions. Even though you don't want to use mods, I suggest you do. There's a potion stack mod that allows you to stack up to 100, as well as a respec mod. These two mods should be mandatory imo at higher levels.

If you don't want to mod, then your only option is the dungeon maps. You'll need to grind in order to level and also to get loot and potion drops.

Your other option is to buy better gear. I hit a spot around floor 19 where I was dying almost instantly anytime someone attacked me. I slowly bought a bunch of new gear over the course of any hour or two by saving all of the money I got in from some of the easier floors. Check what level your gear is, and consider investing in the skill that lowers the minimum level requirement for armor.

soldat7

Is there a way to buy the game from the demo? I'd like to continue with my character rather than start over...

Maybe if I buy the full game, I can import my demo character?

Edit: I'm also new to Steam. Do I always need to be connected to the internet to play Steam games?

When you buy the full game after having played the demo, the game will start where the demo left off. So you're all set to go!

Edit: No, Steam has an off-line mode.

bdouble

ToxicAdam said:
All I can tell you is to buy more health potions. I was chugging about 30-40 for every level past 30. You might even have to leave at mid-level to buy some more potions (and dump inventory). At this stage of the game you should be picking up EVERYTHING and reselling it. You are going to get crunched for cash because you will be buying so many potions.

I don't recommend buying the maps. I find they are a bit harder than the normal levels (as they have more bosses and more monsters overall). In some instances I was LOSING money when using them.

Also, max out your armor. Go piece by piece and evaluate them. If you are wearing a unique piece and you find a blue with a high armor rating .. use the blue one instead. I know its hard to give up those set/unique pieces for a boring piece of armor, but you have to make a jump at some point. You can always enchant the blue to get some extra bonuses tacked on for much cheaper than the unique.

I do recommend buying maps. Just not the ones for your level. Buy the lower level ones. You get tons of items that you can make gems with and get sweet drops for lower level stuff. I made tons of money doing this.

As for level 30+. Make sure you have a high defense. I horde my points until I need them so once I got there I pumped a lot of defense. Helped a bunch. If you don't have the armor expertise skill you need that as well. Might need to respec which I do a lot.

epmode

soldat7 said:
Edit: I'm also new to Steam. Do I always need to be connected to the internet to play Steam games?
You have to be online when you launch the game for the first time. Otherwise, offline mode should work. Make sure that you've configured Steam to automatically enter your password since offline mode won't work without that option.

ACE 1991

THE GOD DAMN SHITTY WIZARD STRIKES AGAIN. I just got a 499 dps gold axe, tried to enchant it, and got all of my enchants removed and the dps lowered to 200. shit.

I love this game :lol

neoism

Guy does awesome stat upping potion's time limit run when the pause menu is up! Say I use a potion with 3600 seconds, and I alt-tab for 4 hours,(example) but I pause will I still have it or does it just go away, I alt-tab a lot!

Anyone else have it going with Intel 965 graphics? I have this on my laptop, 1024x768 and all the graphics ramped down, barely going over 15 fps on the 20th floor. It's fine most of the time, but then I hit a huge mob and it drops to ~10 and I'm down in less than a second. Rest of the specs: 2.5 core 2 duo, 2 GB DDR2

Luckily I have a relatively high end desktop, but I had hoped to buy this as a more portable game.

IceMarker

neoism said:
Guy does awesome stat upping potion's time limit run when the pause menu is up! Say I use a potion with 3600 seconds, and I alt-tab for 4 hours,(example) but I pause will I still have it or does it just go away, I alt-tab a lot!
Am I the only one having a tough time understanding this post? :lol

Anyone notice that if you have a piece of gear that loses all of its enhancements, then put it in your personal chest in town, it will get its base stats back as if you just looted it.

Example I have a wand that when I enchanted it removed everything and dropped the dps down to 10, and lost everything, I'll put it in my chest, come back later, and the dps is back up to 185 as it was when i looted it and all based enhancements are back on it.

neoism

MrMister said:
Am I the only one having a tough time understanding this post? :lol
:lol :lol Sorry man, I used a potion that upped my fishing luck for 1200 seconds, I had to go do something for 5 or so minutes, when the game is paused, which is in the inventory menu,(the time clock in journal stops) etc... does those 1200 seconds go down.

cwmartin

So i'm pretty much in love with this game. Diablo 1 got me into gaming in the early days and diablo II was a staple on my PC and still is. Cant say enough how much I love the art-style as well. The cartoony, shaded, chunky, wow-style art and graphics I dig extremely. I didnt realize how much I enjoyed that "wowish" art style until i started playing this. I wish i had a database of games with similar art style haha!

BIVIANO!

Having a problem with the game loading. Steam launches the game and the screen goes completely black and becomes unresponsive.
Running XP, updated drivers and have not used any mods or the editor. Any solutions?

BIVIANO! said:
Having a problem with the game loading. Steam launches the game and the screen goes completely black and becomes unresponsive.
Running XP, updated drivers and have not used any mods or the editor. Any solutions?

Do you have the latest patches? I believe the latest is 1.12 (or 1.12b). Even then, it loads quite slowly. Give it a 10 secs, don't Ctrl-Alt-Del, see what happens.

BIVIANO!

Bought the game through steam this week, so it should be all patched up. Let it load for 20mins and still nothing. I'll go on the torchlight forum and see if I can find anything.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I'm still deciding whether I love this game or hate it.

It kind of feels like a XBLA or PSN release, but then again, it's only $20. I hope the devs get a truck full of cash to make a sequel with 8 classes and more features.

DJ_Lae

mysticstylez said:
Anyone notice that if you have a piece of gear that loses all of its enhancements, then put it in your personal chest in town, it will get its base stats back as if you just looted it.

Example I have a wand that when I enchanted it removed everything and dropped the dps down to 10, and lost everything, I'll put it in my chest, come back later, and the dps is back up to 185 as it was when i looted it and all based enhancements are back on it.

Oh man, I should have tried that last night. Instead, disappointed, I sold it.

Damn shitty wizard.

webrunner

mysticstylez said:

Fuck, wish I knew this before i sold off my awesome 80% faster pet return from town shoulders when they got shitty wizard'd

Forkball

I played through the demo today and was really impressed. My laptop is from 2004 but it plays this game fairly well and looks great. Cool aesthetic, easy to learn gameplay, and just plain addictive. I'll probably pick it up during the winter break some time. It needs online badly though.

Forkball said:
I played through the demo today and was really impressed. My laptop is from 2004 but it plays this game fairly well and looks great. Cool aesthetic, easy to learn gameplay, and just plain addictive. I'll probably pick it up during the winter break some time. It needs online badly though.

Same here, I played the demo and loved it.

I decided not to buy the game right now, got a lot of games and work. I really don't want to be sucked inside a game and torchlight is just one of those that just EAT YOUR BRAIN.

Picked it up recently as all the Steam deals reminded me of some PC games I missed.

I have a question though...my crappy old laptop seems to run it fine most of the time and then all of a sudden it all turns to shit. It has nothing to do with the amount of enemies on the screen as far as I can tell, it just goes from running smoothly to being unplayable regardless of whats happening. For example one time I;ll be in Torchlight with no problem, and the next time it chugs beyond belief. Obviously theres no enemies there.

It seems to be cyclical or periodic. I'm wondering if it's something periodically happening in the background of my laptop that affects the game, but I have no idea. I was wondering if there was any known problem with the game or if it's just on my end. Could it have to do with the Autosave feature? My laptop is pretty old and on its way out, but it's frustrating that it works fine most of the time and then hitches almost without reason. I guess I'll just try netbook mode again but it doesnt seem to make a difference what I put it on (the game defaulted everything to medium basically but Ive had to keep turning it down as it struggled).

Any suggestions would be great. First time playing this type of game (yes I know, blasphemy) and having a blast on Normal even though it's easy.

Shinjitsu

Banned
TheLegendary said:
Picked it up recently as all the Steam deals reminded me of some PC games I missed.

I have a question though...my crappy old laptop seems to run it fine most of the time and then all of a sudden it all turns to shit. It has nothing to do with the amount of enemies on the screen as far as I can tell, it just goes from running smoothly to being unplayable regardless of whats happening. For example one time I;ll be in Torchlight with no problem, and the next time it chugs beyond belief. Obviously theres no enemies there.

It seems to be cyclical or periodic. I'm wondering if it's something periodically happening in the background of my laptop that affects the game, but I have no idea. I was wondering if there was any known problem with the game or if it's just on my end. Could it have to do with the Autosave feature? My laptop is pretty old and on its way out, but it's frustrating that it works fine most of the time and then hitches almost without reason. I guess I'll just try netbook mode again but it doesnt seem to make a difference what I put it on (the game defaulted everything to medium basically but Ive had to keep turning it down as it struggled).

Any suggestions would be great. First time playing this type of game (yes I know, blasphemy) and having a blast on Normal even though it's easy.

Likely it is causing your laptop to heat up and the laptop is downclocking the GPU or CPU.

If you have a cooling fan for your laptop give that a shot and see if it still happens.

It's a pretty common problem in laptops that a lot of people aren't really aware of. There are ways to disable the CPU downclocking in the bios, but i would recomend against it since it's normally there to keep your laptop from cooking its self.

Any deals at the moment for this game? Oh and sorry for the noob question but I am new to steam, what are the drawbacks to ordering it from there?

Well, it's pretty cheap already at $20. I'm not aware of any cheaper deals. There's no drawbacks to ordering from Steam. I think they don't even sell hard copies, just downloadables.

How this beauty of a game completely went under my radar for so long is a mystery to me, I even remember tihnking I should check it out after it was mentioned on penny arcade. Love the art style and even better it runs on my freaking laptop, that's awesome!

Developers! Make your games compatible with older tech damnit!

Also, what must have mods should I look into? other then no helmet addon :p

bdouble

I've been out of it for a while but there are a few UI mods I've wanted to try. Nothing big yet just cool little tweaks that make the game function better.

the official site has a great mod list and then Torchleech is a cool app that has the mods listed and links to the site and an installer. I guess its like WowMatrix.

Just go on that and see what you like. Once I get my Windows partition back up and running I'm going to be rolling an alch because there is one mod that switched the imps to a ocular mech which just sounds bad ass.

Finished the game in ~14 hours. I had a warrior class on normal and played the missions from hatch as soon as they were available. I only started having a little trouble around
level 31 or so with the dragons. Ordrak was tough, but I added the gems to my weapons/armor and he seemed a bit easier. I ended up glitching right under him and took off nearly all of his health while he did nothing.
Is there any way to fight
Ordrak
again?

I might try playing around with the level editor a bit.

Are there any portals back to town in the
Shadow Vault
? Or do I just have to use the town portal scrolls?

lordy88

Oh man. I'm at college now, and unfortunately I use an old macbook at school, leaving me unable to play torchlight while being studious. However, during Thanksgiving break I got a taste of Torchlight on my good ole 2004 desktop (on netbook mode, it's still trucking...), and now I'm dying to head back this week to start playing again. I got my alchemist up to level 14 or so, and firing away with my unique pistol was a blast. This game has got me itching to play it so bad that it reminds me of waiting for wii 3 years ago (ok maybe not THAT badly).

By the way, what mods would you guys recommend I download for the next run throughs? There are a lot out there already and I was hoping someone had a good list of essentials to improve gameplay (like more loot, enemies, enhance characters, UI, etc.).

I own this and played for about an hour or two. Seems cool.

I'm wondering though if the game builds to something more like Diablo or more like Diablo 2.

I preferred D2's massive AOE focus to the original's "pretty much one at a time" pacing. Does the game scale into a frozen orb/whirlwind/multi-shot deal or stay with the more intimate encounter style (which would make sense since it's such cramped dungeon quarters)?

Top Bottom