• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Mrbob

markot said:
Do all versions sold get this stuff or is it just the Steam version >.>?

Only the Steam version since it is all Steam related support. If you currently have the Steam version, it will be auto updated for free.

scotcheggz

The official Torchlight forums has a modding board that seems to be fairly active. I don't really know though, seems like a good starting place at least. I used the 4 more stashes mod from there, which I reccomend 100% btw.

Forum here.

markot

Banned
xKilltheMx said:
So I have full intention to buy this game....but only during the Holiday Steam Sale because I've been burned one too many times.
Its only 10 bucks you cheapo! Its worth 5 times that!

NeoUltima

So don't have much time to play this...spent about 20 minutes with it to get a general feel...Omg fuck awesome! The music, o yes so good. The controls, so silky smooth and streamlined. Little stuff like picking up gold automatically is great.

xKilltheMx said:
So I have full intention to buy this game....but only during the Holiday Steam Sale because I've been burned one too many times.

It's going to be funny when it's a lower percentage off during the holiday sale.

Ray163

Neo Member
I bought this a few days ago, its just my luck that it goes on sale immediately after.

I completed it yesterday, a destroyer with devastate seems to make hard mode laughably easy...it was possible to just run into a room, round up every enemy and kill them all in one or two hits without much effort.

Its definately one of my favourite games this year.

Polk

soldat7 said:
I just bought Torchlight from Steam. I'm new to Steam though...can you use mods and patches still?
Patches, not really (steam will auto update your games), but mods yeah.

Odrion

Banned
Vastag said:
Can someone recomend some good mods?. The list of available mods on Runic forums is overwhelming
There was this mod that tried to made two handers more viable by making them have double the DPS.

God, so overpowered. :lol

hauton

i want to like this game

its just such an unbalanced mess with half the skills not working as they should

i guess they've fixed a lot of the game-breaking exploits (enchant or whatever) but it still feels like an incomplete game that really doesn't deserve my time no matter how much im waiting for a d2 clone

oh well 1.13 here i come

Nif

I'm really enjoying it, except I have a strange framerate bug. The game will run silky smooth in the most dense parts and drop to something like 20 fps for no reason at all. It seems pretty random, and it's almost ruining it for me. :/ I'm on a Phenom II quad core 3ghz, Radeon 4850, 8GB ram. My laptop with a dual core and some nvidia chip seems to run it without the framerate problems. Turning off effects and lowering resolution doesn't help, either.

Forgot to mention it'll fix itself, too, for no reason. On Windows 7 64-bit on my desktop.

Blizzard

Banned
hauton said:
i want to like this game

its just such an unbalanced mess with half the skills not working as they should

i guess they've fixed a lot of the game-breaking exploits (enchant or whatever) but it still feels like an incomplete game that really doesn't deserve my time no matter how much im waiting for a d2 clone

oh well 1.13 here i come
Is this the case? I still haven't bought it yet, but do half the skills literally not actually even work? I played Borderlands where like 1/3 of Lilith's skill tree wasn't viable at first until they fixed it (on PC). I don't really want that to happen again...

Inkwell

Banned
So I tried the demo earlier and couldn't change the resolution. Every time I tried to change it the game crashed. It was stuck at 1024x768, but I'm only on a 17 in. monitor anyway. I tried looking for some kind of config file hoping I could change it there, but couldn't find any.

The game seemed fun, but I just got done with Titan Quest and I am a little sick of the genre for now. Torchlight has a much better drop rate for actual useful items. The skill tree also seemed much, much better from the beginning as well. Titan Quest looked really nice, but in the end the gameplay seemed a bit weak to me. This, on the other hand, seems to be quite a bit better.

Blizzard said:
Is this the case? I still haven't bought it yet, but do half the skills literally not actually even work? I played Borderlands where like 1/3 of Lilith's skill tree wasn't viable at first until they fixed it (on PC). I don't really want that to happen again...

That post was easily the worst post in this thread. I have no idea what that fountain of hyperbole was all about. Balance issues do exist, but there are better explanations than "this shit is broken" earlier in this thread.

And as someone who was burned horribly by Borderlands, this ain't Blands. I played 15 hours of Borderlands waiting for the fun to start. I played 15 minutes of Torchlight and never wanted to stop playing.

DJ_Lae

Yay achievements.

Anyone on my friends list that doesn't buy Torchlight by Sunday is going to be getting a fat gift copy from me for Christmas.

After the patch, though...has anyone else's initial load time gone insane? It takes a good two minutes to get to the main menu when I launch the game now, which never happened before. Once in game the load times seem to be the same as before, though.

Blizzard

Banned
jim-jam bongs said:
That post was easily the worst post in this thread. I have no idea what that fountain of hyperbole was all about. Balance issues do exist, but there are better explanations than "this shit is broken" earlier in this thread.

And as someone who was burned horribly by Borderlands, this ain't Blands. I played 15 hours of Borderlands waiting for the fun to start. I played 15 minutes of Torchlight and never wanted to stop playing.
Well I don't mean balance issues. I have NO problem with me being insanely overpowered as a player. If that bothers me, I can always use weaker weapons or armor. :p I meant I would be annoyed if a skill says "this buffs your health by 50%" but actually your health isn't affected at all...that's what it sounds like he was saying, that the descriptions actually aren't true because of game bugs that aren't fixed in a patch.

Blizzard said:
Well I don't mean balance issues. I have NO problem with me being insanely overpowered as a player. If that bothers me, I can always use weaker weapons or armor. :p I meant I would be annoyed if a skill says "this buffs your health by 50%" but actually your health isn't affected at all...that's what it sounds like he was saying, that the descriptions actually aren't true because of game bugs that aren't fixed in a patch.

Well I can honestly say that, having played 60 hours or so of Torchlight, I've never noticed an issue like that. Hopefully hauton returns to explain what he means by "its just such an unbalanced mess with half the skills not working as they should", because from where I stand that's a load of codswallop.

Zzoram

I can't believe that this game doesn't have respec. Even Diablo 2 is getting patched with respec, and this clone that adopts a lot of modernizations from WoW doesn't even have it (without mods).

ismaboof

Zzoram said:
I can't believe that this game doesn't have respec. Even Diablo 2 is getting patched with respec, and this clone that adopts a lot of modernizations from WoW doesn't even have it (without mods).
Download the mod

Zzoram said:

Leaving it out was a deliberate choice because the way the skill trees work makes min/max-ing pretty overpowered. For example, a vanquisher (my most played class) can be respec-ed at about level 30 with 10 points in ES and 10 points Wind of Justice, and you literally need nothing but those 2 skills for the rest of the journey to 99. Put the leftovers into some good traps and you've got a heavy-hitting kiter who can use AOE knockback (with damage and a chance to stun) whenever anything gets too close.

I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but I do understand why they left it out of the game and provided the mod for those who want it.

markot

Banned
Took down MW2 as best sellar on Steam, plus its been in the top 10 for ages.

Wonder how much its sold >.<

Deserved though!

pilonv1

Gowans007 said:
are there any worth while mods that's good to put straight on guys?

I liked the respec mod, but I haven't played since a few weeks after launch so there may be some better ones now.

Big B

"the only problem with this game is that it's just too good." definitively applys to this game.

So addictive that I uninstalled it so I can play other games I need to finish. :lol

Top Bottom