• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Lyude77

I'm gonna get this tomorrow, hopefully. I played the demo yesterday, and it was a lot of fun. $10 is a great price. :D

Edit: Got it, playing as a (mostly) summoner alchemist. Even my brother is playing it.

I thought I'd let pet learn the town portal spell that I bought from the merchant dude since I ran out of slots. Turns out I couldn't use it so I had my pet un-learn it and it disappeared. Did I lose it? If so can I buy it again?

Cohsae

toasty_T said:
I thought I'd let pet learn the town portal spell that I bought from the merchant dude since I ran out of slots. Turns out I couldn't use it so I had my pet un-learn it and it disappeared. Did I lose it? If so can I buy it again?
You might find it in a dungeon at some point, or one of the merchants (I think the gem seller also sells spell scrolls) may have it, you'll just have to get lucky.
Probably better off just using town portal scrolls and having a more useful 4th spell imo.

Teknoman

FIFTY PERCENT OFF?!

v81vdc.jpg

Remfin

Big-E said:
Anyone else getting a 100 percent crash when fighting that old guy in the palace? Whenever I click to attack him when he is in the
dragon form
the game crashes. I have tried to go through numerous times without any luck.

EDIT: Found a thread on the Runic games forums where they discuss this issue. No fix yet though windowed mode may solve it.

http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=9202&sid=62b234218ee5fb98f7df53bfb02a60ef
Don't attack him when his shield is active. Let your pet do most of the work, and there should be a gap where you can get in 2 or 3 shots after you kill the summoned adds. (This was on normal...not sure how it works on harder difficulties)

vumpler

If You Can't Beat 'Em, Talk Shit About 'Em
Loxley said:
Just hit level 5 with my alchemist...not stopping anytime soon. This game feels so much like a WoW/Diablo hybrid that now any temptation I had to get back to World of Warcraft has dimmed quite a bit :)

Phenomenal game, and I've only been through the first dungeon.
You sir saved my week with this post I might believe. I'm currently fiending over wanting to go back to wow and even created a post about it. After reading your post I bought this game and am starting now. i hope it does for me what it did for you.

I'm currently pausing the download for LOTR's Online :lol

Rahk

Anyone know of a decent rogue build? Seems rogue is pretty underpowered compared to the ranger. Also, which attributes should I be leveling? Strength/Def?

I guess I'll just use the respec mod to try out some different skills.

lordy88

Alright, I could use some help guys. I've been curious about transmuting and found out about the recipe for the
sushi helm.
From what I've seen the recipe is
3x sushi grade fish meat
but every time I put it in, it doesn't transmute.

I tried also using the magical pistol, shield and belt, but to no avail. Does this require 15x sushi (that is, 3 full drops of it), or just 3 potions worth? I tried it with 10x and 3x in one stack, but neither worked. Any suggestions? I would LOVE to have a sushi helm!

hauton

jim-jam bongs said:
That post was easily the worst post in this thread. I have no idea what that fountain of hyperbole was all about. Balance issues do exist, but there are better explanations than "this shit is broken" earlier in this thread.

And as someone who was burned horribly by Borderlands, this ain't Blands. I played 15 hours of Borderlands waiting for the fun to start. I played 15 minutes of Torchlight and never wanted to stop playing.
Worst post because I disagree with you? OK.

Funny Blizzard brought up Borderlands - I found them remarkably similar, in that neither game was finished at release. I mean for a game that appears so well-polished in many aspects, you'd think they'd get basic skills to work properly.

It's a damn shame, because they're really mostly minor issues that would've been easily eliminated had Runic spent anything on QA. It's exactly like Lilith in Borderlands - for example, half of Destroyer's skills don't scale with stats properly because the programmer specified "MELEE" instead of "STRENGTH".

It would be one thing even if they fixed this stuff shortly afterwards. But it's what, 3 months after release now? And there's still basic basic problems that could've and should've been solved 2 weeks after release. I don't care how small of a dev you are, that's just not giving your product any support.

It seems like they've taken up the Bethesda approach to game development - package an editor and let the modders finish your game for you. Which works if it's the next Elder Scrolls and you have that dedicated support willing and able to make your game good for you, not so much when you're a garage dev putting up a d2 clone for $10 on Steam. Actually, I take that back. I really don't have the time to figure out what's working, what's broken and what mods I need to download in order to fix everything in order to play a game when there's more than enough quality titles out there that doesn't require me to be a QA tester for charity.

Blizzard

Banned
hauton said:
It's a damn shame, because they're really mostly minor issues that would've been easily eliminated had Runic spent anything on QA. It's exactly like Lilith in Borderlands - half of Destroyer's skills don't scale with stats properly because the programmer specified "MELEE" instead of "STRENGTH".
So when you said half the skills in the game, you meant literally half of Destroyer's skills don't follow their descriptions, while the other two characters are fine? And this is not fixed in a patch or mod yet?

*edit* I think you edited, so it sounds like a patch didn't fix it yet, though maybe a mod did. What are some of the specific skills that don't work for you? I'm assuming this sort of thing came up in the forums and was reported to the devs a ton already, only to be ignored.

hauton

Blizzard said:
So when you said half the skills in the game, you meant literally half of Destroyer's skills don't follow their descriptions? And this is not fixed in a patch or mod yet?

Also, Borderlands didn't package the editor with the game intentionally as far as I know. People were only able to hack the executable to run the editor in the retail version, not the Steam version, making it even harder to mod than Mirror's Edge...and it was basically in Gearbox's interest NOT to release the editor with their game since they were trying to make and sell DLC, so I don't think that your point is valid. If you mean that users came up with various ini file fixes to make gameplay better, then yes.
Off the top of my head, the skills that had issues last time I checked:

Magic Weapons Expertise
Ember Lightning
Ember Phase
Shadow Armor
Doomquake
Soul Rend
Titan Stomp

all have issues that either require you to seek out a mod, fix yourself using editor, or are just plain BUGGED and can't be fixed because I don't think anyone including Runic themselves really understand half of the mechanics that some of these skills are based on

EDIT: Devestate and Ember Lance too. I was looking to plan a VHHC Destroyer or Alchemist build before I realized that, unlike d2, there's no use trying to min-max/powergame this game, A) it's too easy and B) half the skills are broken

TheExodu5

Banned
Yeah the game balance is very poor on top of that. I don't know who the hell designed the Vanquisher - Rogue tree. What a mess.

Still, the game is great and well worth $10.

hauton said:

No, because you didn't explain any of your issues. It's one thing to alude to things if they're problems that other players are already talking about, but the stuff you're having trouble with is news to me.

Funny Blizzard brought up Borderlands - I found them remarkably similar, in that neither game was finished at release. I mean for a game that appears so well-polished in many aspects, you'd think they'd get basic skills to work properly.

It's a damn shame, because they're really mostly minor issues that would've been easily eliminated had Runic spent anything on QA. It's exactly like Lilith in Borderlands - for example, half of Destroyer's skills don't scale with stats properly because the programmer specified "MELEE" instead of "STRENGTH".

It would be one thing even if they fixed this stuff shortly afterwards. But it's what, 3 months after release now? And there's still basic basic problems that could've and should've been solved 2 weeks after release. I don't care how small of a dev you are, that's just not giving your product any support.

It seems like they've taken up the Bethesda approach to game development - package an editor and let the modders finish your game for you. Which works if it's the next Elder Scrolls and you have that dedicated support willing and able to make your game good for you, not so much when you're a garage dev putting up a d2 clone for $10 on Steam. Actually, I take that back. I really don't have the time to figure out what's working, what's broken and what mods I need to download in order to fix everything in order to play a game when there's more than enough quality titles out there that doesn't require me to be a QA tester for charity.

Well that's fair enough. I've played about 60 hours of the game and haven't at any time felt that there were noticeable problems with the skills that detracted from my enjoyment of the game. It's a shame that they ruin the game for you.

Blizzard

Banned
hauton said:
Off the top of my head, the skills that had issues last time I checked:

Magic Weapons Expertise
Ember Lightning
Ember Phase
Shadow Armor
Doomquake
Soul Rend
Titan Stomp

all have issues that either require you to seek out a mod, fix yourself using editor, or are just plain BUGGED and can't be fixed because I don't think anyone including Runic themselves really understand half of the mechanics that some of these skills are based on

EDIT: Devestate and Ember Lance too. I was looking to plan a VHHC Destroyer or Alchemist build before I realized that, unlike d2, there's no use trying to min-max/powergame this game, A) it's too easy and B) half the skills are broken
Well, understand that "broken" can mean "does not follow the description" or "is too overpowered", so I was trying to understand what you meant. :p

Well, surely you are not the only one to have these issues, so everyone else in the thread, have you encountered them? Has the dev outright refused to fix any of them?

I tried playing the demo, and so far the overhead view feels REALLY weird to me. I was afraid the font would be way too small to read, but it seems like it could be okay at 1280x960 windowed on a 1680x1050 monitor (I don't want to play fullscreen). Is there any way to change keybindings? I guess the manual would tell me what they do, but I haven't dug around in ini files yet to see if I can change keys myself, and there doesn't seem to be an ingame way to do so or view what keys do what.

Also, is there any easier way to attack than left clicking? If I'm trying to run towards an enemy, and 3-4 enemies are moving around, it's hard to both keep moving and target a specific enemy in short order. It feels like some keyboard method of moving or shooting would make things better, but I'm guessing I'm out of luck there.

Lastly, is there any way to save? All the tip popups seem to only display once, and then not come back if you forget what they said, and I can't seem to find a save option. Or does quitting just save the character no matter what point you quit at? How about dying, what sort of stuff do I lose? What happens if my pet dies? I guess I need to read the manual. :D

I'm probably going to get the game for $10 even if it's apparently super bugged according to this guy. The music is amazing in the first area, so if there are a few more songs that nice (reminds me of Fable 1), I will probably be happy.

*edit again* Found out that shift seems to attack somehow, cool.

Zzoram

The game isn't bad, but I probably wouldn't have bought it knowing now how it plays. It's not as satisfying as Diablo 2. Too bad I get stupidly impulsive during Steam deals.

Blizzard

Banned
Zzoram said:
The game isn't bad, but I probably wouldn't have bought it knowing now how it plays. It's not as satisfying as Diablo 2. Too bad I get stupidly impulsive during Steam deals.
Did you not try the demo or something? :p

Zzoram

Blizzard said:
Did you not try the demo or something? :p

I just assumed it was awesome because everyone said it was, and for $9.99 I was too lazy to try the demo. Even though I probably shouldn't have bought it, I don't feel ripped off, unlike my purchases of CoDWaW and FarCry2 because I only played those games for like 2 hours before I couldn't stand them anymore.

Blizzard

Banned
Zzoram said:
I just assumed it was awesome because everyone said it was, and for $9.99 I was too lazy to try the demo. Even though I probably shouldn't have bought it, I don't feel ripped off, unlike my purchases of CoDWaW and FarCry2 because I only played those games for like 2 hours before I couldn't stand them anymore.
THIS IS GAF, DUDE. :lol

I think I'm going to get it tomorrow. I meant to only try like...30 minutes, and ended up playing for like 1.5 hours or something. :D How long is the demo? 3-4 dungeon levels? It's definitely a new gamestyle for me, aside from Fable 1, and I think overall it could be a fun game to have, especially with theoretical mod options. This game is what I imagine WoW or the Diablo games would be like, except single-player of course. Or like, Nethack except with graphics and without all the crazy details. (Nethack I love for different reasons, naturally)

Zzoram

Blizzard said:
THIS IS GAF, DUDE. :lol

I think I'm going to get it tomorrow. I meant to only try like...30 minutes, and ended up playing for like 1.5 hours or something. :D How long is the demo? 3-4 dungeon levels? It's definitely a new gamestyle for me, aside from Fable 1, and I think overall it could be a fun game to have, especially with theoretical mod options. This game is what I imagine WoW or the Diablo games would be like, except single-player of course. Or like, Nethack except with graphics and without all the crazy details. (Nethack I love for different reasons, naturally)

I really need to remember that. I've bought a few games I shouldn't have because of GAF, but I've also picked up a few gems like Demon's Souls because of GAF.

Zzoram said:

No game is as satisfying as Diablo 2. It's impossible, only contender is D3 whenever they decide to release it.

Torchlight is however the best of those that try to come close to D2.

Titan Quest had the crown of the D2 clones, Torchlight has it now and almost captures the gameplay from Diablo, something the other copies have big problems with.

Cohsae

jakershaker said:
No game is as satisfying as Diablo 2. It's impossible, only contender is D3 whenever they decide to release it.

Torchlight is however the best of those that try to come close to D2.

Titan Quest had the crown of the D2 clones, Torchlight has it now and almost captures the gameplay from Diablo, something the other copies have big problems with.
I feel like it captures the Diablo feel perfectly, probably due to the fact that it's mostly made by the people who made D1 & 2.

TheExodu5

Banned
Torchlight and TQ both have their strengths. Torchlight is more accessible and has a better feel to it. TQ easily has the better balance and replayability though.

Rahk

Blizzard said:
*edit again* Found out that shift seems to attack somehow, cool.
Shift stops you from moving while attacking. Not sure how useful it is for melee, but I use it all the time with ranged weapons.

Durante

jakershaker said:
I agree. Of all Diablo 2 clones I've played (and that would be the vast majority of them) Torchlight is the first where the gameplay feels almost as great as the original. It's really too bad about the multiplayer. I'm looking forward to them trying their hand at that.

NG28

Bought this after hearing all the praise. First time using Steam, does this "server too busy to download" crap happen often?

It rarely happens. If restarting Steam doesn't work then just go to Settings-->Downloads-->Download Region and switch your region to someplace else like Iceland & Greenland, which has content servers that have low usage.

Zzoram

crimsonheadGCN said:
It rarely happens. If restarting Steam doesn't work then just go to Settings-->Downloads-->Download Region and switch your region to someplace else like Iceland & Greenland, which has content servers that have low usage.

If you do that, remember to switch back.

NG28

crimsonheadGCN said:

Thanks, it's going now. Switched from Chicago to DC.

bdouble

hauton said:

I don't think what you are describing is some thing broken. The skills scale differently. If you have problems figuring it out there a plenty of posts in the official thread. Some of them don't scale with any stat they just have a set dmg number. Most of them do though and strength isn't even in the game. They don't have attribute points so what the heck are you talking about?

Shoogoo

Nif said:
I'm really enjoying it, except I have a strange framerate bug. The game will run silky smooth in the most dense parts and drop to something like 20 fps for no reason at all. It seems pretty random, and it's almost ruining it for me. :/ I'm on a Phenom II quad core 3ghz, Radeon 4850, 8GB ram. My laptop with a dual core and some nvidia chip seems to run it without the framerate problems. Turning off effects and lowering resolution doesn't help, either.

Forgot to mention it'll fix itself, too, for no reason. On Windows 7 64-bit on my desktop.

I have the exact same problem! After I open a door, or after I load a new zone, the framerate drops down to hell and it's almost unplayable. What's weird is that my setup is nothing like yours. I have a 4 year old PC with windows XP. Turning off effects and lowering resolution doesn't help either, just like you. I'm going to scout their website. Anybody knows something about it?

edit : do you have Antivir, Nif?

Blizzard

Banned
Steam didn't track the playing time, but that had to be like 2-3 hours just for the demo. Yeah, it has dungeon levels 1-5 (or 1-4.5 essentially, I guess), but that's a lot of playing time.

Actually, it looks like the demo install was the full game. For under a gigabyte, that's impressive, but I'm also impressed that ton of people didn't find some way to mod/pirate it to play the full version, assuming they didn't.

I bought the full version, and it kept my character and items, which is awesome. Unfortunately, it didn't keep track of the achievements I got during the demo, so I might start over and just use the shared stash to pass along any good items from my demo character. *edit* Actually, the demo apparently last saved at the start of the level where I got a plot achievement, so I may be able to get them all on my original character. :D

Overall, good demo, bought the game, kudos.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
What an absurdly addictive little game. Bought it as soon as it went on sale, but only just started it, and I only started it up to create a character and see what was up real quick - then 90 min. flew right out the window just like that.

Good stuff.

Shoogoo said:
I have the exact same problem! After I open a door, or after I load a new zone, the framerate drops down to hell and it's almost unplayable. What's weird is that my setup is nothing like yours. I have a 4 year old PC with windows XP. Turning off effects and lowering resolution doesn't help either, just like you. I'm going to scout their website. Anybody knows something about it?

I had the same problem as I was playing last night. This morning I disabled Antivir and didnt run into the problem at all :D Course I didn't play it for as long....

How do you access the achievements list in the game? I must be missing something obvious, cause I see myself aquiring the achievements, but I cant seem to find out how to actually view them.

hauton

bdouble said:
I don't think what you are describing is some thing broken. The skills scale differently. If you have problems figuring it out there a plenty of posts in the official thread. Some of them don't scale with any stat they just have a set dmg number. Most of them do though and strength isn't even in the game. They don't have attribute points so what the heck are you talking about?
No you can check it out yourself using the editor. Half of Destroyer's Titan branch is supposed to scale with his Strength stat. All the coding is there, it's just that the field which specifies which stat it scales with is incorrect. It states "STRENGTH", when the stat is actually called "MELEE".

Teknoman

TheExodu5 said:
Torchlight and TQ both have their strengths. Torchlight is more accessible and has a better feel to it. TQ easily has the better balance and replayability though.

Dont forget Matt Uelmen. Really hope he ends up composing for Diablo III, because Torchlight's soundtrack is great. Really helped cement Diablo I and II in my memory.

Nif

Shoogoo said:

I'm using avira on my desktop.

edit: aha, thanks :) Strange problem, though. I've never had it happen for any other game.

"Dont forget Matt Uelmen. Really hope he ends up composing for Diablo III, because Torchlight's soundtrack is great. "

He's an "official" Runic Games employee, he simply works off site from his studio.

Top Bottom