• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
So any tips from the people who have been playing it since it came out? I'm only level 10 i think and am playing a destroyer and so far and dumping points into dual wield spec. and armor spec. I don't know how much armor comes into play later on in the game and what talents are considered essential. Because this game is like a WoW/Diablo and i played WoW for years i'm kinda treating it like that. Is it worth it to sell everything that isn't an upgrade and enchant your weapons/armor as much as possible?

DJ_Lae

zombieshavebrains said:
So any tips from the people who have been playing it since it came out? I'm only level 10 i think and am playing a destroyer and so far and dumping points into dual wield spec. and armor spec. I don't know how much armor comes into play later on in the game and what talents are considered essential. Because this game is like a WoW/Diablo and i played WoW for years i'm kinda treating it like that. Is it worth it to sell everything that isn't an upgrade and enchant your weapons/armor as much as possible?

I wouldn't enchant anything until you beat the boss and unlock the later dungeons - wait until you have a truly awesome piece of equipment in terms of base stats and then pump money into it until you think it'll get shitty wizarded. Then again, you're sort of always getting better equipment, so if you think you should do it earlier, there's not really a penalty.

As far as skills, I got a lot of mileage out of Doomquake and (later on) Devastate, which is basically just D2's whirlwind. Spectral Echo and a high DPS weapon can tear through groups of enemies as well. A lot of them are viable, just depends on how you want to play.

And yeah, sell everything that isn't unique - save decent stuff for your other characters, as the right equipment can give them a massive boost early on.

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
DJ_Lae said:
I wouldn't enchant anything until you beat the boss and unlock the later dungeons - wait until you have a truly awesome piece of equipment in terms of base stats and then pump money into it until you think it'll get shitty wizarded. Then again, you're sort of always getting better equipment, so if you think you should do it earlier, there's not really a penalty.

As far as skills, I got a lot of mileage out of Doomquake and (later on) Devastate, which is basically just D2's whirlwind. Spectral Echo and a high DPS weapon can tear through groups of enemies as well. A lot of them are viable, just depends on how you want to play.

And yeah, sell everything that isn't unique - save decent stuff for your other characters, as the right equipment can give them a massive boost early on.

Sweet. Are talents like Treasure hunter and Adventurer worth it? I think i have some points in Adventurer just thinking it would level me faster and i imagine i will be chugging potions later in the game so it would help with that too. Or would they be better spent somewhere else?

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
I bought the THQ pack when it was 50$ and I haven't even installed Titan Quest yet. And yet here I am, thinking "Ohh, 10$ isn't that much."

And then there's going to be the Holiday sale.

Stop taking all my money and giving me fun games, Steam! It's not funny any more!

zombieshavebrains said:
Sweet. Are talents like Treasure hunter and Adventurer worth it? I think i have some points in Adventurer just thinking it would level me faster and i imagine i will be chugging potions later in the game so it would help with that too. Or would they be better spent somewhere else?

Personally I find those talents are mostly useful after the main game is complete. I didn't have much trouble early on with XP gain or magic-finding, but the 30+ content was very different. If you think you've made a mess, grab the respec potion mod and use it to play around a bit.

FightTest

I find this game much harder to stop playing than I did Diablo II. It harkens back to my Diablo (I) days. The shitty wizard is probably the biggest factor in this. I keep wanting to run another level to get more money to press my luck on my weapon of the moment.

FightTest said:
I find this game much harder to stop playing than I did Diablo II. It harkens back to my Diablo (I) days. The shitty wizard is probably the biggest factor in this. I keep wanting to run another level to get more money to press my luck on my weapon of the moment.

Not to be too hard on D2, because it's still in my top 5 list, but the gameplay in Torchlight is much better
in my opinion, spoilered because it doesn't need saying but this is GAF
. Maybe not the overall gameplay package, but I generally find that the act of clicking my little guy around dungeons and killin' and lootin' to be much more streamlined and fun than D2 is.

bigswords

This game is one of the best loot game of all time, been playing the demo.

But unfortunately it lacks one thing....co-op multiplayer, or i would buy 4 copies of this game!

Proc

Gifted a copy to my brother. I love how easy it is to gift if somebody is on your friends list.

I was going to gift him tf2 but I figured they'd be an orange box sale on this holiday.

Brashnir

bigswords said:

But unfortunately it lacks one thing....co-op multiplayer, or i would buy 4 copies of this game!

yeah I'd be all over recommending it to friends if it had multiplayer. As it is though, they're just not interested in a Diablo clone with no multi.

Quagm1r3

I'm having trouble downloading mods for this game... I think it's because I downloaded it off of steam. It didn't come with a 'mod' folder so I made one and extracted all of the mods to it; none of them worked :(

Just picked it up on the steam sale too...oh steam, getting me to buy cheap games that I may or may not even install (though in this case I tried the demo beforehand and thought it was pretty fun).

Can anyone clue me in on how many hours it takes to play through?

unagisensei said:
Just picked it up on the steam sale too...oh steam, getting me to buy cheap games that I may or may not even install (though in this case I tried the demo beforehand and thought it was pretty fun).

Can anyone clue me in on how many hours it takes to play through?
The main game is only about 8 hours but if you keep going through the infinite level dungeon you'll be busy for a long time.

Rahk

Quagm1r3 said:
I'm having trouble downloading mods for this game... I think it's because I downloaded it off of steam. It didn't come with a 'mod' folder so I made one and extracted all of the mods to it; none of them worked :(
The mod folder is elsewhere. Click the 'Application Data' shortcut in your torchlight folder, and go to runic games -> torchlight. Mod folder is in there.

Or just use TorchLeech as above.

Just found out you can change hot keys using TorchLeech. I can now finally use slots 6-0. Awesome.

Princess Skittles

Prince's's 'Skittle's
This game would have been PERFECT if there was a character creator.

Or at least gender selections.

I can only be a girl character if I'm an archer, great.

cwmartin

Just got this gem gifted officially from my brother! Been playing the demo, fell in love, and it put me right back into that D1 and D2 frame of mind from childhood past, which I can say are my most memorable gaming experiences. Cant wait to dive in! Although I should be job searching for when I graduate in May, but that's a different thread in itself.

dgenx

Made an agreement with another GAF member, refused to honor it because he was broke, but then had no problem continuing to buy video games.
Played like 3 hours of this game, it's really good!

It's waking up the loot whore within.

hope the coop mod release sometime that would be heaven:D

how long it takes to finish the main story?

stealth edit: which ones are the must have mods? the ones that expands the gameplay or just make it better

Zzoram

jim-jam bongs said:
The main game is only about 8 hours but if you keep going through the infinite level dungeon you'll be busy for a long time.

So the dungeon in the base game has infinite levels? Does that mean there are waypoints every 5 levels down, or do there stop being waypoints after level 50?

Zzoram

soldat7 said:
I'm about 5 hours in and I think it was a mistake starting out on Normal. The game is WAY too easy.

As a seasoned Diablo 2 player, I started at Very Hard. I've died like 5 times in 5 hours, due to being too stingy with potions (I would've been fine if I just chugged a bit more often).

Archie said:
Use this mod manager. It works like a charm.

Nice Avatar, phan ;)

1z5pu6d.jpg

soldat7

Zzoram said:
As a seasoned Diablo 2 player, I started at Very Hard. I've died like 5 times in 5 hours, due to being too stingy with potions (I would've been fine if I just chugged a bit more often).

Yeah, I'll keep this character and finish on Normal, then I'll go through on a higher difficulty with a different character. Seriously, Normal is not a challenge in the slightest; I should have paid more attention to this.

helmehytte

Neo Member
soldat7 said:
Yeah, I'll keep this character and finish on Normal, then I'll go through on a higher difficulty with a different character. Seriously, Normal is not a challenge in the slightest; I should have paid more attention to this.

Agreed! To unbalanced. Main quest offers no resistance what so ever. Just the portal side quests from town that makes it not a total slaughter.

Really enjoying the game...

Wondering what everyone does with the purple and orange items. Save them? Sell them? I don't have enough room in storage to save them all...

Is there anyway to transfer to different characters?

HungryPillow said:

Wondering what everyone does with the purple and orange items. Save them? Sell them? I don't have enough room in storage to save them all...

There is a storage box in the city that every character can access. So just store them in there if you don't want to sell them.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
All I can think about at work is how much I'd rather be playing Torchlight. Sigh!

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
HungryPillow said:

There is a twink chest at the top of town. I just stuff it all there.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Archie said:
There is a twink chest at the top of town. I just stuff it all there.

Ooo, I didn't know the top chest differed from the center one. That's what I get for not checking. Thanks!

Ahhh thanks! I just assumed the chest at the top of town was the same as the one in the center (which is where I've been storing everything)... :lol

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
HungryPillow said:
Ahhh thanks! I just assumed the chest at the top of town was the same as the one in the center (which is where I've been storing everything)... :lol

Same problem I had. :lol Now I won't be getting rid of awesome guns with my melee fighter!

MoFuzz

Everyone who is saying normal difficulty is too easy is fairly experienced with Diablo type games I take it? Is hard difficulty still okay for people who don't normally play these games?

Also, is there a merchant in town who can identify items, or do you just have to rely on scrolls?

Meier

I started playing this about a month ago but then my computer died. Started up a new game last week -- just curious, is the main dungeon endless (so to speak)? Do I ever go to another one for the main story or is the only variation from the maps and the NPC in the southern part of the village?

Thanks.

Cyntec

Meier said:
I started playing this about a month ago but then my computer died. Started up a new game last week

thanks to the new update, this won't happen anymore - Torchlight now supports steam cloud and will save your states on Valve's servers automatically...

for the rest: yeah, I bought the game as well last weekend.. but I haven't started yet; I'm waiting foe the coop-mot to come out x)

bigswords said:

The lack of co-op sucks, but the game is fantastic and I wanted to support the devs because I would imagine a future game like this would include it.

Fuck this game. Had a blast playing it and suddenly my character got stuck behind som table up against the wall and she can't move or use town portals. How the hell do you move her? Do I have to start a new game? :S

sfried

I was about to buy this on Steam when I put it in the basket and the price hiked up back to $19.99!

I want to get this for $10!

Jube3

I got a quick Q, I bought this game off their site a while back is there any way for me to get on the steam achievements/cloud deal? :( Damn I just bought this off steam as a gift too, I should kept the steam version and gave him mine hehe.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
sfried said:
I was about to buy this on Steam when I put it in the basket and the price hiked up back to $19.99!

I want to get this for $10!
Do you know why is it called a Weekend deal? Because it's only good for the weekend. Last time I checked, Monday is not part of the weekend. Wait for the xmas sale, as I'm sure it will again be 50% off.

Jube3 said:
I got a quick Q, I bought this game off their site a while back is there any way for me to get on the steam achievements/cloud deal? :( Damn I just bought this off steam as a gift too, I should kept the steam version and gave him mine hehe.
Nope, steam achievements (for now, anyway) are a feature of the Steam version.

Edit: And to the people complaining about no multiplayer (which, yes, is a pretty big deal), the devs said (on giantbomb.com) that they could do a multiplayer game, but they didn't have enough time. They had one year to make this game from scratch, and they chose to do what they do best: A controlled single player experience. Multiplayer would require cheater checks and they just didn't have the time to do it.

They also said that this game was just a "sneak preview" of a much bigger MMO free to play project they have. Think of this game as a city in such MMO.

I recommend watching his interview: http://www.giantbomb.com/the-future-of-torchlight/17-1676/

However, since they're a great bunch of people and released every single tool used to make the game, and made the game very mod friendly, there's already two COOP Mod projects in the works:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROi_PoWQThc

More info at http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=4509 and http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3569

Rahk

MoFuzz said:
Everyone who is saying normal difficulty is too easy is fairly experienced with Diablo type games I take it? Is hard difficulty still okay for people who don't normally play these games?

Also, is there a merchant in town who can identify items, or do you just have to rely on scrolls?
You should be fine on hard difficulty without having played any other Diablo clones as long as you build a decent character. It's fairly easy to pick up.

You just have to use scrolls. There's also a mod that removes needing to identify.

Top Bottom