• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

xKilltheMx said:
So I have full intention to buy this game....but only during the Holiday Steam Sale because I've been burned one too many times.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
It's going to be funny when it's a lower percentage off during the holiday sale.

Mrbob said:
Good luck. /Taken

Don't be crying when it is only $14.99 or $17.99 during the holiday sale. :lol

Five dollar Torchlight GET!
:D
:lol :lol :lol

Cohsae

Xamdou said:
Just bought it and enjoying it so far, how do I save the game?
It saves automatically when you quit. I'm pretty sure you can even quit in the middle of a dungeon and it will pick up where you left off, although I'm not 100% sure. I do know that if you make a town portal, go to town and then quit, when you reload the portal will still be there.

Cohsae said:
It saves automatically when you quit. I'm pretty sure you can even quit in the middle of a dungeon and it will pick up where you left off, although I'm not 100% sure. I do know that if you make a town portal, go to town and then quit, when you reload the portal will still be there.

I've quit while battling monsters, and it loaded back up exactly where I left off.

I'm nearing the end of my (pure) Summoner campaign.
But im going to retire him to increase the difficulty and also that gearing for Summoners is a pain in the ass (minion dmg/armour/speed is the only worthy stat for offensive sake, and is so rare to find).

For those who've been playing with multiple classes. Which of the two, Vanquishers or Destroyers, did you have more fun playing?

celebi23

Damn, really trying to wait until a Mac version comes out but, $5? That's quite a steal :D Maybe it'll work ok in CrossOver Games on my Mac :lol

edit: fuck it, buying it now :lol

double edit: fuck, it's been sitting at the "Working..." screen for about 10 minutes already :lol I'm 100% sure that I have no problems with the credit card that I used so, I wonder what's causing the holdup? :lol

Picked this up in the Steam sale, really really enjoying it.

However I'd rather play it almost entirely with the mouse which isn't an option for some of the skills/spells. I had a look through the mods that are linked from the OP but the only one that lets you change keybindings doesn't seem to let you map stuff to mouse buttons.

Anyone got any help with this? A more helpful mod or tips on a file I can edit manually to set it up?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So I just started up a Vanquisher, and I'm at an impasse. Should I dual-wield pistols or just go with 2-handed rifles?

ZealousD said:
So I just started up a Vanquisher, and I'm at an impasse. Should I dual-wield pistols or just go with 2-handed rifles?

I've been going around with a pistol + wand combo, it's fucking fantastic.

You could always have both two, just switch weapon sets every now and then.

ZealousD

randomlyrossy said:
You could always have both two, just switch weapon sets every now and then.

Well I feel like I need to make a decision because if I'm going to dual-wield I'll want dual-wield spec. =P

Also, why would a pistol+wand spec be good? Wouldn't you need to put a lot more points into magic to make that effective?

Dachande

I bought this in the Steam sale too, but even in Netbook mode it's not working that well on my, er, netbook. It's a normal Atom 1.6GHz, GMA950 type affair with 2GB of RAM running XP, but in the dungeons it can get as low as like 3-4 FPS in the worst cases, and mouse clicks are really unresponsive. Is there anything I can do the help this? It's getting really annoying.

ZealousD said:

Never underestimate the importance of defence, especially later in the game. My vanquisher actually uses a shield and a high-DPS pistol because I got sick of being charged and one-shot by mobs off-screen in the last area,
The Black Temple.
If you can find an appropriate shield (mine is a unique with +range and +knockback which is obviously perfect for a vanq) and a good pistol you'll be laughing as you shrug off pretty vicious attacks then blast everything off you with Wind of Justice.

I need to go back and spend more time with the other classes, my vanq obsession really took over :lol

Gaaraz

Probably the worst question ever, but uhh... what exactly do you do once you've completed a few quests? I've returned two or three now, with two outstanding ones - one is to rescue a guy who's now helping me (but I can't return the quest) and another is a certain type of ember which I can't find anywhere!

Can't believe I've hit a brick wall and I'm still in the first dungeon ;_;

blizeH said:
Probably the worst question ever, but uhh... what exactly do you do once you've completed a few quests? I've returned two or three now, with two outstanding ones - one is to rescue a guy who's now helping me (but I can't return the quest) and another is a certain type of ember which I can't find anywhere!

Can't believe I've hit a brick wall and I'm still in the first dungeon ;_;
Just keep progressing down the dungeon. Keep in mind that the point of the game is to get the coolest loot ever to make the most overpowered character ever. The story and quests are just there as a novelty.

My Vanquisher is so awesome right now, she has literally 10k+ dps atm. How about the rest of you?

Gaaraz

Ahh I see - cheers! I thought I got as far into the mine as I could, I'll go back and have another look then, cheers :D

I think I played on easy too, which has made it all a bit dull since I don't have to think about what I'm doing, d'oh

soco

blizeH said:
Ahh I see - cheers! I thought I got as far into the mine as I could, I'll go back and have another look then, cheers :D

I think I played on easy too, which has made it all a bit dull since I don't have to think about what I'm doing, d'oh

'hard' is pretty easy in the game, and if you've ever played a game like this before it's the minimum of what you should start on.

ZealousD

jim-jam bongs said:
Never underestimate the importance of defence, especially later in the game. My vanquisher actually uses a shield and a high-DPS pistol because I got sick of being charged and one-shot by mobs off-screen in the last area,
The Black Temple.
If you can find an appropriate shield (mine is a unique with +range and +knockback which is obviously perfect for a vanq) and a good pistol you'll be laughing as you shrug off pretty vicious attacks then blast everything off you with Wind of Justice.

Well I seem to be doing pretty darn fine without defense atm. If anything my best defense at this point seems to be killing mobs before they get to me. The game really isn't clear on the DPS benefits of doing dual-wield spec so I'm trying to decide whether I should or not. It's not like WoW where weapons keep their same attack speed, and the game doesn't give an overall DPS.

Billen

Banned
Amazing game for the money. 3 persons in our household who all love it. We all eagerly await Torchlight multiplayer in some form :D

bigswords

Dachande said:
I bought this in the Steam sale too, but even in Netbook mode it's not working that well on my, er, netbook. It's a normal Atom 1.6GHz, GMA950 type affair with 2GB of RAM running XP, but in the dungeons it can get as low as like 3-4 FPS in the worst cases, and mouse clicks are really unresponsive. Is there anything I can do the help this? It's getting really annoying.

Lower the resolution and click on netbook mode (camera zooms and lowers textures even more).

This will be my GOTY for 2009 but... no mp sigh.. oh well 5 usd for an awesome game I can't complain.

Runic you hear !!! I will pay you 50 USD for a multiplayer (with enemy scaling and loots) version of this game I'm fucking serious!

drizzle

Axel Hertz
bigswords said:
Runic you hear !!! I will pay you 50 USD for a multiplayer (with enemy scaling and loots) version of this game I'm fucking serious!
Wait for the free-to-download, free-to-play microtransaction based MMO they're working on then.

Moobabe

I wonder what the numbers are for Torchlight, especially after the repeated sales on steam. I hope it's done well for them, fantastic game.

I finished the main campaign last night and now to crack on with the 100 level dungeon.

Kerrinck

Is there anyway to raise spell levels as a Destroyer?
Just got a healing spell, and see no option to level it up even though it says level 1-11.

Waikis

PillowKnight said:
Just keep progressing down the dungeon. Keep in mind that the point of the game is to get the coolest loot ever to make the most overpowered character ever. The story and quests are just there as a novelty.

My Vanquisher is so awesome right now, she has literally 10k+ dps atm. How about the rest of you?

LVL 33 vanquisher with about 20 hours of playtime.

2vl47pf.jpg

Waikis

PillowKnight said:
Nice, what kind of damage do you get from that?

I'm level 53 @ 24 hours and i'm fully convinced I won't find a better weapon.

I do about 1125 dmg, then again im still lvl 33. Also, the two weapons alone gives me 40% bonus crit dmg and combined with other loots, my crit pretty much goes up to 8k lol.

Most of the awesome weapons i get are from gambling : p.

edit:

Look at what i get just now :D .

25iyryx.jpg

Vanpira

Kerrinck said:
Is there anyway to raise spell levels as a Destroyer?
Just got a healing spell, and see no option to level it up even though it says level 1-11.

There is a skill for that up to 10 levels for specific spell classes, look at your skills. To up healing spell levels you need to up defensive spell mastery.

Its funny, I looked at some Diablo 3 gameplay videos on youtube just now, and when I see it, I feel no urge to play that, no hype for it. Torchlight is enough for me. I like this more cartoony take on the genre, with less "seriousness".

It might be a different story when Diablo 3 is released, but I think that Runic games have put some serious pressure on them. Hell, Diablo 3 will problably be released about the time when the Torchlight MMO is around the corner, so Runic will have an answer even to multiplayer parts of the genre.

Waikis said:
I do about 1125 dmg, then again im still lvl 33. Also, the two weapons alone gives me 40% bonus crit dmg and combined with other loots, my crit pretty much goes up to 8k lol.

Most of the awesome weapons i get are from gambling : p.

edit:

Look at what i get just now :D .
That's about as high as my crit goes using all my modifiers, ie +70% to all damage from shock trap. Definitely considering duel wielding now, since I don't auto attack at all. I just need to find two weapons that beat my bow's +10 crit % chance.

Question about retiring: what's the point of the heirloom? Couldn't I just put all my items into the shared stash and grab them that way?

Masklinn

Accept one saviour, get the second free.
Slavik81 said:
My biggest complaint is that the pathfinding sucks. My dogs and my minions keep getting stuck on outcroppings.
And they teleport when they get stuck too long…
Teknopathetic said:
The correct answer is wait until you get Ember Beam. Ember beam is so fucking good. Especially with a lot of +critical chance. Like Seriously.
Ember Lance sucks, it's overpowered.

Ember Strike, on the other hand, is The Funny and it eats assloads of mana so it's nowhere near as overpowered as Lance.

MightyKAC

drizzle said:
Wait for the free-to-download, free-to-play microtransaction based MMO they're working on then.
I REALLY hope this game raked in some awesome sales. I wanna play that MMO that Runic is making with this engine sooooo badly.

Chris R

So I'm playing a Vanquisher, just started, and have a few questions.

Will I ever need to add strength/magic as a stat? It looks like all ranged weapons require dex to equip, and armor needs defense. So when I level up do I just dump all my points into those two stats?

Also, what mods are must haves? I enjoy how the character seems to be able to auto loot gold, but not other items, so I hope there is a mod to fix that problem right away :lol Hope there is a mod to crank up the graphics as well, as everything maxxed in game and it still doesn't look as good as some of the shots in the OP.

I also like the steam cloud bonus feature :D

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
G-dammit. I had a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet bow, enchanted it so many times, was dominating, then I tried to enchant it just one more time.... :( Stripped of all enchantments. No money to enchant again. Exit to title. Quit.

bdouble

Shitty Wizard strikes again

Ahh I've been meaning to get back into this with a few of the UI improvement mods (brighter map, more gems, tweaks to alchemist skills) but had to redo my win 7 partition and just haven't gotten back. Might just hold off and double dip into the Mac OS release.

Gaaraz

Really looking forward to that MMO they're working on. For me this game is okay but I feel like I'm just going through the motions so to speak.

Plus anyway, what's the point in getting really fucking cool equipment for your character if no one else gets to see it? :lol

Gravijah

CecilRousso said:
Its funny, I looked at some Diablo 3 gameplay videos on youtube just now, and when I see it, I feel no urge to play that, no hype for it. Torchlight is enough for me. I like this more cartoony take on the genre, with less "seriousness".

It might be a different story when Diablo 3 is released, but I think that Runic games have put some serious pressure on them. Hell, Diablo 3 will problably be released about the time when the Torchlight MMO is around the corner, so Runic will have an answer even to multiplayer parts of the genre.

If Diablo 3 is anything like Diablo 2, the community and online will be what drives it for me.

Wark

I'm so glad I picked this game up. I loved Diablo back in the day and this game is enough for me to fuel my craving until Diablo 3 comes out. I'm about 10 or 12 hours into the game and I'm loving every second of it.

CecilRousso said:

oh it will be, youll be sucked into the hype and spooge over fuck awesome battle.net just like the rest of us. :D

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
rhfb said:
So I'm playing a Vanquisher, just started, and have a few questions.

Will I ever need to add strength/magic as a stat? It looks like all ranged weapons require dex to equip, and armor needs defense. So when I level up do I just dump all my points into those two stats?

Can't speak for the Vanquisher, but I've come across gear for my Destroyer that required just a tad bit more dexterity or magic than I had. I'd imagine the same is true for the two other classes.

I also like the steam cloud bonus feature :D

How do you use it though? I haven't been able to use my save file on another computer automatically. I had to look for it on my HDD and transfer it to my other computer.

commish said:
G-dammit. I had a sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet bow, enchanted it so many times, was dominating, then I tried to enchant it just one more time.... :( Stripped of all enchantments. No money to enchant again. Exit to title. Quit.

Had the same happen to me yesterday :/. Within like 2 minutes I got 2 awesome weapons for dualwield Destroyer, but enchanted one of them once too much, and now I'm stuck with it even though it sucks more than the weapon I had previously :(. Lost so much money too. The other weapon kicks ass though. 400+ DPS (lvl 19 weapon) and tons of effects :D.

Fireblend

Banned
commish said:
Something funny happened to me; I was also enchanting a weapon (Staff) I had found, was kicking ass and it got de-enchanted, even said it had 0dps... I threw it on the ground in frustration :)lol ), and after some time (probably played a quest or two) picked it up again to sell it... only to discover the enchantments were back. That was weird.

Dunlop

Loving this game, is there a way (or mod) to change the difficulty setting? I'm finding the game stupid easy at normal, for some reason I seem to be +5 levels on all the mobs.

If not I guess I'll reroll, but I have soem great loot for my vanquisher :D

ToxicAdam

Dunlop said:
Loving this game, is there a way (or mod) to change the difficulty setting? I'm finding the game stupid easy at normal, for some reason I seem to be +5 levels on all the mobs.

If not I guess I'll reroll, but I have soem great loot for my vanquisher :D

I'm pretty sure the new patch allows you to switch difficulty levels. I never patched, but I believe that was in the notes.

Fixed1979

Question concerning the dungeon maps. I purchased all the ones available from the guy in dungeon ?3. All they say is 1-10, I went into the first one and got my ass kicked. Was I just not prepared or should I be a certain level when I go into these special rooms?

Dunlop

ToxicAdam said:
I'm pretty sure the new patch allows you to switch difficulty levels. I never patched, but I believe that was in the notes.

thanks, I'm downloading the patch now.

I'm a bit of a Steam noob, it is set to automatically update the game. I see the patch info in update history but the game was not updated

any clue what I am missing?

edit: wont let me run patch, says prior install detected even though my game shows as being version 1.14

looks like rerolling is in the cards..

edit2 - apparently it is updated and they didnt fix the version number in the notes. Now to figure out how to change the setting :D

Tom Penny

Fixed1979 said:
Question concerning the dungeon maps. I purchased all the ones available from the guy in dungeon ?3. All they say is 1-10, I went into the first one and got my ass kicked. Was I just not prepared or should I be a certain level when I go into these special rooms?

Well if you got your azz kicked that should probably tell you that you need to be a little more powerful ;)

I also wish I could change the difficulty in the Steam version.

Top Bottom