• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

ToxicAdam

Fixed1979 said:
Question concerning the dungeon maps. I purchased all the ones available from the guy in dungeon ?3. All they say is 1-10, I went into the first one and got my ass kicked. Was I just not prepared or should I be a certain level when I go into these special rooms?

The shop maps are a bit harder. They have more enemies and more bosses than your typical map.

Personally, I didn't like them because I would spend more money on potions (as a Destroyer) than I would make back from selling loot. Sometimes I would find a kickass piece of gear down there, but usually not.

Tom Penny

Dunlop said:
thanks, I'm downloading the patch now.

I'm a bit of a Steam noob, it is set to automatically update the game. I see the patch info in update history but the game was not updated

any clue what I am missing?

edit: wont let me run patch, says prior install detected even though my game shows as being version 1.14

looks like rerolling is in the cards..

edit2 - apparently it is updated and they didnt fix the version number in the notes. Now to figure out how to change the setting :D

Exit game. Start Menu to Run, enter %appdata%, down the tree to runic games, over to torchlight, open settings.txt with notepad and change Console :0 to Console :1.

Start game. Shift ~ (shift tilde) on a US keyboard to open console. SETDIFFICULTY 0-3
where 0 is Easy and 3 is Very Hard. Exit console.

Once your in the actually game not the start menu do Shift ~ (shift tilde) to pull up console then type setdifficulty 3 and that will put it on very hard.

mjc

I apologize in advance if this was asked already, but has there been any news of a Mac release date for this?

Chris R

Kilrogg said:
How do you use it though? I haven't been able to use my save file on another computer automatically. I had to look for it on my HDD and transfer it to my other computer.
Every time I exit the game, it syncs to the steam cloud server. I didn't have to do anything. Now I haven't tried to use this save file on a different computer yet, but why would it go "Syncing" after I exit the game every single time unless it was updating my save file since that is a supported feature?

bdouble

mjc said:
I apologize in advance if this was asked already, but has there been any news of a Mac release date for this?
Its coming. Probably around the retail release. So in the next few months. I plan on double dipping on that.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to distribute attribute points for a marksman skill vanquisher? so far I've been giving it all to Dexterity but lately armor has been popping up that requires higher strength or defense so I'm not sure if I should invest in Strength (do I did boost my defense up a bit because rushing melee mobs were sort of becoming troublesom).

Thanks!

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
just grabbed this on steam. will go well with my 2k10 hangover!

Steam is soo good.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
tahrikmili said:
Can anyone give me some advice on how to distribute attribute points for a marksman skill vanquisher? so far I've been giving it all to Dexterity but lately armor has been popping up that requires higher strength or defense so I'm not sure if I should invest in Strength (do I did boost my defense up a bit because rushing melee mobs were sort of becoming troublesom).

Thanks!

I'd put most into dex still, but I spent a bunch on defense as well in order to wear some armors. I added a few points to strength as needed to wear/use certain stuff.

Kipe

tahrikmili said:

Thanks!

Unless you melee, strength is useless on a vanquisher.

Mik2121

Just grabbed this game for $10. I'm liking it a lot, but only having three characters sucks a bit, at least for me. Anyway, I went with the destroyer. I just finished the very first quest and went on with another quest where I have to get to the 3rd floor on the mines and kill some boss.

The game doesn't feel as good as Diablo 2 for whatever reason.. and no online hurts a bit, but still enjoying it a lot!.

Dunlop

Tom Penny said:
Once your in the actually game not the start menu do Shift ~ (shift tilde) to pull up console then type setdifficulty 3 and that will put it on very hard.

thanks I had finally figured it out. You also need to tell steam not to automatically update the game. Otherwise it always rewrote over my settings.txt file and put console back to 0

Mik2121 said:
Just grabbed this game for $10. I'm liking it a lot, but only having three characters sucks a bit, at least for me. Anyway, I went with the destroyer. I just finished the very first quest and went on with another quest where I have to get to the 3rd floor on the mines and kill some boss.

The game doesn't feel as good as Diablo 2 for whatever reason.. and no online hurts a bit, but still enjoying it a lot!.

What the fuck do you expect paying 10 bucks for a game?

Davidion

For Want Of said:
Is anyone using mods? Which ones?

So far I've only added this one to remove annoying narration ("You're pet has returned", ect.)

No Narrated Trap and Pet Sounds - v1.21: http://forums.runicgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=2099

Nice enchanter, kills enchantment wipe rate
http://www.torchlightinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=335

Respec potion:
http://www.torchlightinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270

Knee Deep in blood, for a little extra sparkle
http://www.torchlightinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=407

enewtabie

Question for you pc experts. I bought Torchlight on Steam(first purchase ever) and I don't have a great PC or anything. It's a dell,but it's hooked to my Westinghouse TV and when I start the game it comes up Invalid Format. I can't even play it. I'm guessing it some sort of display issue.

I'll have a dedicated gaming PC in Feb,but I wanted to play this great game a little. Any ideas?

enewtabie said:
Question for you pc experts. I bought Torchlight on Steam(first purchase ever) and I don't have a great PC or anything. It's a dell,but it's hooked to my Westinghouse TV and when I start the game it comes up Invalid Format. I can't even play it. I'm guessing it some sort of display issue.

I'll have a dedicated gaming PC in Feb,but I wanted to play this great game a little. Any ideas?

You're probably trying to run it at a resolution that the TV doesn't support. Try something standard like 720p/1080p and it should be fine, I play it on my HDTV too now and then.

enewtabie

Well my tv is on the PC setting and when it starts up Torchlight the screen goes blank. So I can't even see anything to change. Probably end up just waiting til Feb to play it at this point. I wish I had spent the money at the time instead of just a quick fix for a computer.

krae_man

Its on sale on Steam for $5 today again.

Question: I'm a bezerker and I have some abilities that seem like they they arn't capped at level 10. Slash for example. It says level 11 is available but requires your character to be level 40. My character is now level 60 and I still cant upgrade them past level 10

What's going on?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Question: This game looks interesting, but I almost never play games on my PC. I've heard that it can run on pretty weak systems, mine can play stuff like Call of Duty 2, KOTOR and World of Warcraft on higher levels. Can my shit handle Torchlight? If so, I'll give it a go.

That "can my computer run it" site doesn't seem to work for me. :/

vocab

Snuggler said:
Question: This game looks interesting, but I almost never play games on my PC. I've heard that it can run on pretty weak systems, mine can play stuff like Call of Duty 2, KOTOR and World of Warcraft on higher levels. Can my shit handle Torchlight? If so, I'll give it a go.

Yes. Run the demo, and see for your self. 5 year old PC here.

Animal

Banned
Is it worth buying gear from merchants and that random gamble dude? Or should I only use what drops? I have several thousand dollars in game and don't know what to do with it.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Snuggler said:

Yeah, you'll run it perfectly. It runs on netbooks. Netbooks can barely do Youtube some of the time.

Animal said:
Is it worth buying gear from merchants and that random gamble dude? Or should I only use what drops? I have several thousand dollars in game and don't know what to do with it.
Imaginary money was made to be spent! I'm also throwing cash to get my gear enchanted, or buy new things.

krae_man

Animal said:

I almost never buy anything from the merchants apart from identify scrolls. I used my money to enchant shit like crazy.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
Bought this as part of the steam sale. I'm only level 5 (maybe 1.5 hours in) and I'm really digging it so far.

I never got into the Diablo franchise.. but this reminds me of everything I liked about WoW without all of the hassle and monthly fees.

great 5 dollar purchase!

MrDaravon

Snuggler said:

I can't even get this computer to run Half Life 2 or L4D on lowest settings (about a 4 year-old integrated desktop), and it runs this game at max settings with only very very slight performance impact. I knocked a couple things down to medium and it runs amazingly fine.

How exactly do you beat Ordrak on hard difficulty, if you´re a level 32 vanquisher that hasn´t focused on traps? He seems to spawn an infinite amomunt of dragonkins against mer.

MoFuzz

tahrikmili said:

Thanks!
Personally, I wouldn't put too much into the strength attribute as that class. You should be able to come across gear that will give you a boost in strength. If not, just enchant some rings/trinkets so that you can use some of the rare/unique loot.

I keep my dexterity/defense at an almost 1:1 ratio, playing on hard difficulty. (Defense maybe 5-10 points behind Dex). You might be able to get away with less defense on normal or lower. Unless you are doing crazy amounts of elemental damage, I wouldn't put too much into magic either. Again, I just keep it high enough for gear requirements using enchanted gear.

Also, explosive shot is your friend. Max that sucker out and you've got yourself a bonafide rocket launcher at your disposal.
Animal said:
Meh, I don't bother with buying anything from the merchants other than map scrolls and maybe the odd spell. Just spend the cash on enchanting the shit out of some good quality rare/uniques to make them uber. You will undoubtedly lose a couple good ones in the process, but it mostly seems to do good rather than bad.

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
Lyphen said:
Yeah, you'll run it perfectly. It runs on netbooks. Netbooks can barely do Youtube some of the time.

The game runs fine on old-arse PCs like mine (Athlon XP2600+, 1GB DDR, GeForce 7600GS), but netbooks struggle to run it at a playable framerate, unless your netbook packs a decent graphics card (which most don't, Intel graphics chip FTL). Mine doesn't, and it gets pretty choppy at times. I'd get killed if I tried a map dungeon or one of the portal quests, since enemies are much stronger. The problem with the poor framerate is that keys don't register all the time. This means frequent death in Torchlight, where a single press of the 1 key for a health potion can save your life.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Is it just me, or is the Vanquisher mega boring? I'm on floor 17, and with Exploding Shot/Ricochet, I can clear pretty large groups of mobs in no time, without any kind of thought involved. Very Hard difficulty.

Are the other classes more active? Like, more interesting skill/talent combos, etc?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I've got both a Destroyer and Vanquisher myself. Vanquisher is most fun when you're doing bosses IMO. Exploding shot stops being as effective and you have to kite.

Destroyer starts off pretty simple and boring but gets better around lvl 15 I think. You'll certainly pop more heals as a Destroyer but he's much slower and you might or might not feel that melee attacks are boring. Also bosses end up being pretty simple affairs, unlike with the Vanquisher.

Can't speak for Alchemist myself.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
I love my alchemist personally, its pretty versatile, pure magic, summoning and melee tree. Im mixing up like 50% magic, 25% summon and 25% melee, its awesome. 10/10 crit chance and 120% crit dmg in magic tree rocks.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So since I gifted a friend Torchlight I've been getting into it myself again.

Mods so far are great and torchleech is amazing.

Right now I am enjoying my 36% run speed + 38% from Haste and spamming my ember lance laser beam. I found a belt that gives +80% bonus to crit damage as well. So crazy.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
So apparently "unique" in this game does not mean the same thing in Diablo. I just got 2 Crushgroove maces in back-to-back floors. :lol

Since each mace says it increases lightning damage by 25%, I'm assuming that'll stack if I'm dual-wielding them?

Edit: Hmmm... they don't seem to stack...

Hawk SE

I accidentally turned my Pet into one of those Trees for 3000 seconds. What an awful 3000 seconds of my life. Those things walking around have the WORST sound...

MoFuzz

Hawk xSx said:
I accidentally turned my Pet into one of those Trees for 3000 seconds. What an awful 3000 seconds of my life. Those things walking around have the WORST sound...
There's an app mod for that.

Muting the walking sound I mean.

Kweh

Can someone tell me the key to bring up the map overlay as I've forgotten it from the tutorial and it doesn't have a key settings menu (?).

Also, since there is no quick save, can I quit the game anywhere (even if inside a dungeon) and when I come back I will be in the same spot?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Kweh said:
Can someone tell me the key to bring up the map overlay as I've forgotten it from the tutorial and it doesn't have a key settings menu (?).

Also, since there is no quick save, can I quit the game anywhere (even if inside a dungeon) and when I come back I will be in the same spot?

it's either w,s, a or d.

I think it's a. I keep pressing it by accident.

you can quit wherever and get back in same spot.

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
Is there a way to constantly have the item names and gold displayed? I'm sick of always holding alt. Might as well tape it down.

NameGenerated said:
Is there a way to constantly have the item names and gold displayed? I'm sick of always hold alt. Might as well tape it down.
My memory is hazy, but near the bottom I think there is a magnifying glass. If you click it then you'll see the names of everything, and holding Alt will hide them.

vocab

NameGenerated said:
Is there a way to constantly have the item names and gold displayed? I'm sick of always hold alt. Might as well tape it down.

There's a button on the interface you just click once and the names a gold are always displayed. The tool tips mention this. It's the magnifying glass icon.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
I'm having a hell of a tough time trying to find out with Spell Mastery to go into. I'd love to have that Aloe Gel for heals, but I've never seen that scroll. So I might go charm for zombie summons...but who knows!

careful

Noob here.. Couple questions:

1) Is it possible to level up the Spells on your own? I see next level in the description, but it's always stuck at the same level.

2) If I die and decided to respawn at the town. Is there a way to quickly get back to where I was?

3) Is there a structure for combining stuff? I tried putting random stuff together, but it doesn't do anything.

Top Bottom