• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
careful said:
Noob here.. Couple questions:

1) Is it possible to level up the Spells on your own? I see next level in the description, but it's always stuck at the same level.

2) If I die and decided to respawn at the town. Is there a way to quickly get back to where I was?

3) Is there a structure for combining stuff? I tried putting random stuff together, but it doesn't do anything.
Spell level you can raise through the skill points into each skill/spell type mastery.

Town Portals + Haste

3 of the same type to get a new item
2 of same grade gem

I'm sure the Torchlight Wiki or something has all the combination info.
I installed 2 mods to make the combining do more also.
Lyphen said:
I'm having a hell of a tough time trying to find out with Spell Mastery to go into. I'd love to have that Aloe Gel for heals, but I've never seen that scroll. So I might go charm for zombie summons...but who knows!
Defense for Haste. Haaaaaaaaaaste.

Also offensive for Deverish.

Zertez

I just picked up the retail version of the game today. Very fun game. The conveniences and the small things like pet going to town to sell, small optional dungeon runs, fishing, shared bank space etc.. are a nice touch. The variety is a little bland, but for 20 dollars it is understandable. I just wish they were making Torchlight 2 and not a MMO. With a little more funding and development time, this game could be great.

Despite being on this Earth for 19 long years, of which I've spent many a hour playing on a PC, I've never played an action RPG like this before. Diablo, you say? I know it by name alone.

For some reason (read: Idle Thumbs) I've had the itch to check this out for a while, and thanks to my newfound obsession with loot due to Borderlands, tonight I started playing it. I'm only about two hours in, so I've hardly scratched the surface, but so far I'm finding it to be really fun. I have it set on normal, so it's pretty much of a walk in the park, but that's good because I'm getting used to fiddling around with the shortcuts etc...

I really like the style of the game, it has to be said. I know it's hardly a technical powerhouse, but with it cranked up all the way on 2048x1152 it looks damn fine. I get a Fable vibe from it.

So yeah, as soon as I start finding the really good stuff, and get good enough to crank the difficulty up a bit, I can see myself wasting hours as long as I don't get bored of the same old dungeon. Just in time to prepare for Diablo 3, eh? -_-

I thought about going back to Diablo II before playing this, but it looks way more intimidating. I don't know why.

Teknoman

Foliorum Viridum said:
Despite being on this Earth for 19 long years, of which I've spent many a hour playing on a PC, I've never played an action RPG like this before. Diablo, you say? I know it by name alone.

For some reason (read: Idle Thumbs) I've had the itch to check this out for a while, and thanks to my newfound obsession with loot due to Borderlands, tonight I started playing it. I'm only about two hours in, so I've hardly scratched the surface, but so far I'm finding it to be really fun. I have it set on normal, so it's pretty much of a walk in the park, but that's good because I'm getting used to fiddling around with the shortcuts etc...

I really like the style of the game, it has to be said. I know it's hardly a technical powerhouse, but with it cranked up all the way on 2048x1152 it looks damn fine. I get a Fable vibe from it.

So yeah, as soon as I start finding the really good stuff, and get good enough to crank the difficulty up a bit, I can see myself wasting hours as long as I don't get bored of the same old dungeon. Just in time to prepare for Diablo 3, eh? -_-

I thought about going back to Diablo II before playing this, but it looks way more intimidating. I don't know why.

Its not. Go for it.

bdouble

Strider2K99 said:
Old?

Apparently, Runic Games is pursuing a console port of Torchlight.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/03/10/runic-games-putting-serious-effort-into-console-torchlight/
Oh man I really want a game like this one the Wii. I just think there has to be a way to do it with the IR pointer.
soldat7 said:
I'd buy again.
I already will buy it again when the mac version comes out. Well that is if they don't put Steam Play on it. Methinks that is why it hasn't been mentioned yet. It was supposed to be out in January.

mjc

I'm still waiting for them to get off their butts and finish the Mac port already. It's taking forreeeeevvvvveeeerrrr.

Thanks to bernardobri (wich is made of awesome), got to play the game, and it's really wonderfull. Is there some hope for a MP patch ?

This would be soo perfect !

EDIT : oh nooo, I didn't saw that you could name the pet, so mine is called Spot now... :'(

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
JonStark said:
Thanks to bernardobri (wich is made of awesome), got to play the game, and it's really wonderfull. Is there some hope for a MP patch ?

This would be soo perfect !

EDIT : oh nooo, I didn't saw that you could name the pet, so mine is called Spot now... :'(

A while ago there was a co-op mod in the works. Unsure how that turned/is turning out, but surely there is another in this thread who can provide more details. Torchlight as an MMO is planned and it's also - currently planned to be, at least - free-to-play.

Raide

I really did not want to get Torchlight because I really want the Multiplayer side of things. After playing years of Diablo 2 with friends, not having this option really put me off buying the game.

Unitil I checked out Steam and got it for £3.75 :lol At that price I cannot complain but I really hope the MP mod appears sooner than later.

Hawk SE

jeffpm said:
Anybody know if Torchlight is going to use Steam Play when it comes out for Mac?

I don't know about Steam Play, but it does look like there is a Mac version being worked on. So once Runic releases it, it might be available cross-plat.

Raide

After spending a loads of hours playing this game, it truly is awesome but the lack of MP holds it back from greatness. It does so many things right, especially in terms of loot, character builds and tweaking options, its so sad that MP was not the first thing on their to-do list.

Yes I know they are planning an MMO but that won't be this game. The major rule of loot collecting games...its always better with friends. :D

Torchlight is actually my first hack and slash RPG. I got it during the sale, and its really hooked me. The loot mechanic is fantastic, considering I've never experienced it before, and the combat is really fun. I'm addicted.

Hawk SE

Well hopefully the modding community can get the Multiplayer aspect done.

I know a lot of people depend on MP in games like this...I'm okay without it. I really am.

Twig

Banned
So dudes. What are some coolio mods for this game?

Also how do I not suck on harder difficulties? I'm terrible at this game. ):

Scipius

Twig said:
So dudes. What are some coolio mods for this game?

Also how do I not suck on harder difficulties? I'm terrible at this game. ):

Get TorchLeech (the mod manager) and autoinstall any of the mods listed. So far I've only used some mods to fixs some of the annoyances I had (potions stack to 200, more stash chests, bigger gems), but there's a lot of mods available.

Hawk SE

There's acheesements FOR having 10 mods running at a time. You tell me ;)

47fab4ad8fa3bd84645bb7f4a99f8fe848a8c7ab.jpg

Modpocalypse
10 mods used at the same time

DarkoMaledictus

Tier Whore
Foliorum Viridum said:

Not sure if you are going to like it... I tried going back to diablo 2 last year and it felt like going back to the atari. The game has not aged well, if graphics are not important by all means try it, if they are stay clear from it... I myself couldn't get into it. A matter of fact I had the same problem when it was released day 1... just looked dated already, then again I am a GRAPHIC WHORE ;P! For me gameplay alone is not enough, it needs great graphics and great gameplay otherwise it stays on the shelf... but thats just me ;p!

Twig

Banned
Hawk xSx said:
There's acheesements FOR having 10 mods running at a time. You tell me ;)

47fab4ad8fa3bd84645bb7f4a99f8fe848a8c7ab.jpg

Modpocalypse
10 mods used at the same time
I did know that; I just meant like "this mod makes it too easy GTFO nub" sorta things.

I'll assume not from your response. :D

Thanks for the suggestions bros.

Hawk SE

As far as I can tell, no MODS are causing problems, but if you use the cheat codes after enabling the console (like a money cheat) - your character will be hard set to Easy and have "CharacterName the Cheater" as it's name permanently.

Finished the game on Normal with the Destroyer... took me forever to take down the end boss, what with the dragons being summoned and all, but it was quite amusing to see a room full of corpses by the end.

Considering starting a Vanquisher on hard, any suggestions on single or dual wielding for her?

L00P

So I get this super awesome rifle, right? It's like the most perfect rifle I could ever get my hands on because it compliments my character's build nicely. It has like +50% Minion Armor and Damage(My character summons stuff) and very powerful, too. BEST. RIFLE. EVER.

Then I came across an enchantment shrine. So I had this very clever idea to make my BEST RIFLE EVER to be more awesome than it is.

except it FUCKING ERASED ALL OF ITS STATS GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I HATE THIS GAME

MoFuzz

L00P said:
it FUCKING ERASED ALL OF ITS STATS GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I HATE THIS GAME
6oeer9.jpg

Yeah, that happened to me more than a couple of times before I just got fed up with the game and applied the no dis-enchant mod. It's bad enough wasting heaps of gold and not getting anything but stripping all the stats just adds insult to injury.

RoryDropkick said:
Considering starting a Vanquisher on hard, any suggestions on single or dual wielding for her?
Early on in the game, go with the extra power of a two handed rifle. In the later dungeons, you'll probably want the extra defense that a shield and pistol provides.

Dual wielding is kinda useless in the sense that your attack speed isn't increased whatsoever and magic attacks only use the attributes from one hand (I think the right hand IIRC).

MoFuzz said:
Dual wielding is kinda useless in the sense that your attack speed isn't increased whatsoever and magic attacks only use the attributes from one hand (I think the right hand IIRC).

What, really? nuts. I've been dual-wielding as vanquisher the whole time. I'm pretty sure I even put skill points in it.

MoFuzz said:
6oeer9.jpg

Yeah, that happened to me more than a couple of times before I just got fed up with the game and applied the no dis-enchant mod. It's bad enough wasting heaps of gold and not getting anything but stripping all the stats just adds insult to injury.

Early on in the game, go with the extra power of a two handed rifle. In the later dungeons, you'll probably want the extra defense that a shield and pistol provides.

Agreed, I've been using exclusuvely rifles. If I find a good enough pistol, I'll try that pistol/shield loadout.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I was hoping the thread got bumped because of a mac release. :(

Edgeward

Well, hey since this is bumped, might as well as this nub Q. How do you properly apply mods? I've tried adding the gender mod and no bullshit enchanter, and see neither working. And in the case of the enchanter, nothing at all changes good or bad. Steam version btw, if that helps at all. It should be just extract them out from the zip and put them in the 'mods' folder as is, right?

Edgeward said:
Well, hey since this is bumped, might as well as this nub Q. How do you properly apply mods? I've tried adding the gender mod and no bullshit enchanter, and see neither working. And in the case of the enchanter, nothing at all changes good or bad. Steam version btw, if that helps at all. It should be just extract them out from the zip and put them in the 'mods' folder as is, right?

You can do that, or like many people, I recommend using TorchLeech, it does it all automatically for you, and it's oh so sweet.

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
MoFuzz said:
6oeer9.jpg

I need to remember to start looking for mods in my games. My method was usually to just town portal back and forth real quick to get the game saved, then if the enchant shrine (or enchanter) disenchanted my item, I would task manager shut down the game before it had a chance to save. :lol

Also, are you sure about the dual wielding attributes thing? I'm almost positive that I remember seeing fire effects from one weapon and ice effects from the other while I was playing a dual-wielder.

L00P

Oh yeah! Mods! YES! No idea I can mod this game. I will apply the no dis-enchant mod ASAP :lol

The risk of stripping away all of the enchantments may be somewhat exciting, but I'm no gambler!

atomsk

Party Pooper
1.3 gig update happening on steam right now, but Runic isn't sure what it is :lol

Whatever that DL is, it's news to us. Investigating.

http://twitter.com/runicgames/status/13329166649

edit:
It seems there was a configuration issue with Torchlight today that may have caused some unexpected content downloads. Not a bug with the client, but rather the depot configuration server side.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14766718&postcount=64

Instro

Ah good they finally told us what the hell happened. But how does it get fixed?

EDIT

nvm looks like Im able to delete the editor now.

Top Bottom