• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Spire

Subconscious Brolonging
Does your pet have a happiness level or something? Do you need to feed it? I could have swore the pet icon in the upper left-hand corner of the screen was yellow and now it's red. I'm just wondering how all of that works.

Finally got this game, will have to play some this weekend. I bought it on the PC, good to know that it works on Mac too.

More companies should do this, really cool.

Tacitus_

L00P said:
So I get this super awesome rifle, right? It's like the most perfect rifle I could ever get my hands on because it compliments my character's build nicely. It has like +50% Minion Armor and Damage(My character summons stuff) and very powerful, too. BEST. RIFLE. EVER.

Then I came across an enchantment shrine. So I had this very clever idea to make my BEST RIFLE EVER to be more awesome than it is.

except it FUCKING ERASED ALL OF ITS STATS GOD FUCKING DAMNIT I HATE THIS GAME

Heh, I found a new unique sword a while ago that had +100 dps to my current one -> enchanter and disenchant it on the first try :X

Culex

Banned
I'm TOTALLY shocked how well this game runs on my new laptop, which only had Intel's HD graphics accelerator in it. I can play the game at 1600 x 900 with everything maxed, minus AA.

kennah

Before people get surprised with it. Steam cloud saves don't transfer from pc - mac or mac - pc. :( Known issue that they would have had to build the game in a completely different way for it to work so not much chance of it ever being fixed.

So I bought this game, used the Steam special offer (only 8€ :D).

I'm really astonished on how many mods there are lol Of course I could've check it BEFORE I started the game, but still it's great!

This game really deserves some love.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
kennah said:
Before people get surprised with it. Steam cloud saves don't transfer from pc - mac or mac - pc. :( Known issue that they would have had to build the game in a completely different way for it to work so not much chance of it ever being fixed.

I'm hoping some intrepid modder builds an application to convert the save game file. I'm not optimistic though.

kennah

mikespit1200 said:
I'm hoping some intrepid modder builds an application to convert the save game file. I'm not optimistic though.
You and me both brother. But, in the meantime, new vanquisher.

Tried the demo for Mac Steam today. The gameplay has that boring-but-addictive quality that those Facebook games with clicks-as-gameplay have. Seems like it could get more interesting, though. Also, the art style is great.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
cooljeanius said:
Tried the demo for Mac Steam today. The gameplay has that boring-but-addictive quality that those Facebook games with clicks-as-gameplay have. Seems like it could get more interesting, though. Also, the art style is great.
You really have to make your own fun with it. If you build talent trees that annihilate everything, it gets kind of boring. So try something creative, with situational strengths.

Just completed this today after a few weeks of not playing it.

Overall I really enjoyed it. I'd never played a game like this before, so it definitely expanded my knowledge of the genre, but I'm not going to become an addict any time soon. I have no desire to continue playing to earn better loot, and I don't think I'll go back to Diablo 1/2 as it will simply be more of the same, I'm guessing. I will probably pick up Diablo 3 whenever that's released, though, as enough time will have gone by then for a bit more mindless clicking to be enjoyed. :) This was a fun 10 hours and I feel completely satisfied by it.

Lyphen said:
You really have to make your own fun with it. If you build talent trees that annihilate everything, it gets kind of boring. So try something creative, with situational strengths.

lol So make it harder on yourself.

Salz01

omg. I came in here on a e3 frenzy thinking they would announce an expansion pack. =(

Just download it or buy it. Its worth it.

kaskade

I downloaded the demo off of Steam for my Macbook. It runs well. I have a 2.16 duo, 2gb ram, some other stuffs. I'm probably going to buy the full version. Steam for Mac rocks. Next up TF2.

kaskade said:
I downloaded the demo off of Steam for my Macbook. It runs well. I have a 2.16 duo, 2gb ram, some other stuffs. I'm probably going to buy the full version. Steam for Mac rocks. Next up TF2.
Ready your self for being addicted to loot.

kaskade

Just finished the demo. It was awesome. I haven't played a loot game like this in so long, and it was glorious. Kind of pissed I missed the sale though.

JoeMartin

So I just finished playing through Diablo 2 for the first time today.

I played Torchlight when it came out, and having loosely seen and played diablo before I knew what people meant when they said it was a Diablo clone.

But Jesus, Torchlight is quite literally a clone. I mean it was a good, fun game in its own regard, but seeing both of them in the opposite order, to say that Torchlight borrowed some ideas is putting it as lightly as possible (I mean right down to even the dulcimer riffs from the act 1 music :lol :lol ).

Zozobra

Ugggggh, I want to like this game so badly, but I just can't get into it. The art direction and music is phenomenal, but the fact that there's no online or co-op mode totally kills the experience for me. It seems odd, but I my opinion of game would completely change if I could play this with a friend. Oh well, I will still be checking out the MMO.

Moobabe

Zozobra said:
Ugggggh, I want to like this game so badly, but I just can't get into it. The art direction and music is phenomenal, but the fact that there's no online or co-op mode totally kills the experience for me. It seems odd, but I my opinion of game would completely change if I could play this with a friend. Oh well, I will still be checking out the MMO.

Persist! It really is good, and while no co-op is a downer try not to let it detract from the game.

Zozobra said:
The loot is what kept me going. There's so much you can do to get better loot and improve your skills.

Zozobra

Ok ok, I restarted as an Alchemist and I'm finding this game a lot more fun. It's pretty mindless entertainment, but I like that in short bursts.

One thing I cannot figure out for the life of me is getting the game to display in 1920 X 1200. That's my current desktop resolution, but whenever I change it in-game it always resets to 1024 X 768. Anyone else experience that?

heringer

Can I play this well (meaning, with graphics on high, decent resolution but without AA) with an old Semprom 3000+ (2,25Ghz), 1gb DDR and a 7600GS graphic card?

If not I'll wait until I get a new PC in December. :)

No talk of the sequel coming out next year?

KEY FEATURES

Multi-player – Play with your friends over a local area network, or over the Internet. A free matchmaking peer-to-peer service lets you make new friends for exciting co-op play.
Customizable Characters – Players create and customize a character from one of four classes available and choose an animal companion. Through cosmetic, class, and gender choices, skill path decisions, and the treasures they acquire, each character can be custom-tailored to each player’s needs.
Moddability – Torchlight II will release with an updated version of TorchEd, the Torchlight editor. Players have the option to create their own mods, adding even more content to the world. You and your friends can download the same mod and play together!
New User Interface – Torchlight II boasts an entirely new, improved user interface, designed to be easier than ever for new players to pick up and play. Thanks to this intuitive interface, players have immediate access to a rich and varied world, with little experience necessary.
Overworld Areas – Torchlight II has large randomized overworld areas to explore with weather, time of day cycles, and random events that provide players with even more content to experience.
Random Dungeons – Delve into randomly generated dungeons within the game at any time for extra experience and rare loot. Dungeons in Torchlight II have even more branching paths to explore with friends filled with random events, rewards and dangers.
Retirement System – Once characters are sufficiently leveled up, they can “retire” and bestow specific benefits and perks onto new characters.
Pets – Players choose a pet to accompany them. Pets level up along with the player, and help in battle, learn spells, carry items, and perform a variety of support services.
Fishing – Fishing returns in the sequel! Players can take a break from the high-energy pace of adventuring to relax by one of the many fishing holes and see what they can catch. Fish have unique benefits for the player and pet, while a number of other rewards can also be discovered.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Can anyone tell me why my Torchlight for Mac (Steam copy) crashes everytime I launch it from the Steam menu? I've deleted a plist file that someone recommended to wipe the settings, name escapes me. Anything else I should try?

ACE 1991

Sat down to mess around in Torchlight for ten minutes and ended up playing for two and a half hours :lol I forgot how awesome this game is. I know people bitch about the lack of multiplayer, and I agree that it is most certainly an issue, but purely from a mechanics standpoint TL is easily the best ARPG game since Diablo 2.

thefil

Question:

I really enjoyed Torchlight, but I feel more or less done with it at this point. I was wondering there are any "scenario" mods - I'm interested in something that tones down the randomization and maybe tries to pack in a few more quests (even lame ones) for a more linear, crafted experience. So far all I've found online are class and balance mods.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
My only beef with this game is that the cursor is so dark. I use a trackball mouse so there is less intuition about where it should be according to my movements and when the action gets crazy I lose sight of it.

I played the demo over the weekend, and I found it somewhat difficult to navigate through the very similar looking upper and lower levels. Is this indicative of the whole game?

Shinjitsu

Banned
Opus Angelorum said:
I played the demo over the weekend, and I found it somewhat difficult to navigate through the very similar looking upper and lower levels. Is this indicative of the whole game?

Use the map?

Opus Angelorum said:
If you're talking about the actual levels, just keep going down.

robatw

I have a problem. I played through the game for the second time and retired twice. But as i started the 3rd character i fucked up the difficulty (forgot to click "hardcore")

So i edited the difficulty with a difficulty editor. but when i press "J" now, i don't see the right amount of ancestors (0 instead of 2)

How can i change that? It is kind of frustrating.

mackloon

Neo Member
Anyone know when and if this game is supposed to hit PSN or XBLA? I thought it was before holiday...?

Any insider information or leaks would be grrrrreat!

pje122

mackloon said:
Anyone know when and if this game is supposed to hit PSN or XBLA? I thought it was before holiday...?

Any insider information or leaks would be grrrrreat!
I don't think this is happening...

mackloon

Neo Member
Thanks for the link...I missed that one when I was browsing through. I have to admit...I am kind of bummed, but maybe I can round up a 360 on the cheap to ease my woes.

What is the cheapest version going for these days?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This game grabbed my interest after hearing about it coming to the 360 today. So, it looks like it's available on disc form for the PC. I love Diablo so this is worth considering.

wwm0nkey

Darkmakaimura said:
This game grabbed my interest after hearing about it coming to the 360 today. So, it looks like it's available on disc form for the PC. I love Diablo so this is worth considering.
Yes, there is also a demo available on Steam.

Chris R

I could see myself double dipping for the XBLA version. Though I'd prefer to double dip and play the XBLA version on my PC :lol

Any word if some form of Auto Loot is in?

Top Bottom