• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

Ifrit

I'm just going to start playing this game, any newbie recommendations on classes and/or attributes I should concentrate on leveling up?

Ifrit said:
I'm just going to start playing this game, any newbie recommendations on classes and/or attributes I should concentrate on leveling up?

Alchemist or Vanquisher are both insanely easy until after level 30 when everything in the game goes from "insanely easy" to just "pretty easy".

For a vanquisher, focus on kiting and knockback and you should be devastating most stuff without too much trouble. Also, the dual-wielding system in the game is a bit funny in that the stats of both weapons are combined to reach the final DPS and effect of the shots from either weapon. If you're not playing hardcore and don't need the extra defence of a shield then it's best to dual-wield pistols.

Once you get high enough level make sure you get Exploding Shot, it's pretty much the vanquisher's money ability as the game progresses. Hail of Arrows can also be really good if you have a heavy kiting build, as you can just round up piles of enemies, drop a hail over a choke point and then kite everything through it.

Have fun!

Is this game accessible to a noob of the genre? I've never played Diablo or a game like it, but I wanna get into them. All the buttons on the screen are look intimidating!

Ifrit

jim-jam bongs said:
Alchemist or Vanquisher are both insanely easy until after level 30 when everything in the game goes from "insanely easy" to just "pretty easy".

For a vanquisher, focus on kiting and knockback and you should be devastating most stuff without too much trouble. Also, the dual-wielding system in the game is a bit funny in that the stats of both weapons are combined to reach the final DPS and effect of the shots from either weapon. If you're not playing hardcore and don't need the extra defence of a shield then it's best to dual-wield pistols.

Once you get high enough level make sure you get Exploding Shot, it's pretty much the vanquisher's money ability as the game progresses. Hail of Arrows can also be really good if you have a heavy kiting build, as you can just round up piles of enemies, drop a hail over a choke point and then kite everything through it.

Have fun!

Thanks, I'm just looking for the most fun class to play with and not waste attribute points
(or whatever they're called, I still haven't started it, I'm only using my limited diablo and diablo 2 knowledge)
on skills that'ill become useless later on, I've read people recommend starting the game on hard since the game seems to be pretty easy, should I do it now or save it for a second playthrough?

Also: How about some tips on the alchemist, I just picked him since he looked the coolest

AkuMifune

Banned
BigNastyCurve said:
This comes out tomorrow for XBLA right? Woot!

Should be up in 5-6 hours from now, right? Isn't that the usual time?

I just cleared up my backlog and really hope this gets up soon.

Sol..

I am Wayne Brady.
jim-jam bongs said:

Have fun!

I don't think that's true. Because I carry Adam's sword all the time for the increased chance of rares. It doesn't scale with my overall DPS although for some inexplicable reason it keeps it up when compared with vastly superior weaopns. You can see my 500+ damage weapon doing it's thing and the sword of adam lurking around in the 200s. Even though my total DPS is like 1000+. Now what that total number DOES do is factor into the weapon damage skills.

Also once you hit the dark temple several things can one shot a vanquisher. Making things incredibly challenging. Even when kiting you can't fully avoid that lazer beam of a shot. Especially given the camera. You can't even see whats around the corner so thats where the majority of my deaths come from.

Ifrit

lordy88 said:
I definitely had a better playthrough experience on Hard than on Normal. I'd restart, personally.

Thanks, well there's no need, I actually started it on hard with an alchemist :) Maybe leave the vanquisher for the Very Hard difficulty since she seems to be the best

Boonoo

betweenthewheels said:
Is this game accessible to a noob of the genre? I've never played Diablo or a game like it, but I wanna get into them. All the buttons on the screen are look intimidating!

Definitely. It's fun, but it's pretty much baby Diablo. It's more than worth at least a play through. As other's have said start on Hard, that way it doesn't get real boring after you figure stuff out in 5 or so floors.

snap0212

I thought I could maybe download the game before I go to bed, but it doesn't seem like it'll be up soon. Already bought some Xbl points... :)

Does anyone know the file size of the xbla version?

voltron

Is there no official XBLA thread for this?

Pretty excited about getting this game. Missed in on PC and was pretty envious hearing all the noise about it the past few years.

Up on the Live Marketplace now (on the 360, not the webpage)... checked under Title A-Z and it was there

09Fuo.jpg

Go. Go. Go!!!

Lunchbox said:
only 200 megs?

Well it is just one mine you play in... one big mine.

Anyway, game is awesome. I am now level 5!

Load time are a bit on the long side, and I REALLY wish you could walk quicker.

Will play a ton more tonight.

bathala said:
Damn would have bought it but MOST EXPENSIVE GAME EVAAAAA

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v76/djtrent07/315871356_photobucket_24258_.jpg[IMG][/QUOTE]

The game has been available to reviewers for a while (via a voucher code), which means it is up on servers, and could be found by snoopy people. The stupidly high price attached to the game is how MS protect it from been downloaded should someone get the right URL to give them access.

bathala said:
well I saw it on Spotlight (first thing u see)
DL it

Well you would do that, as it is for sale now ad those restrictions are removed :p

I was just trying to give you a bit of info as to why you were getting that error

Raide

Apart from the framerate stutter (please fix this!), Torchlight XBLA plays well. I actually like the direct control of the player, since it now feels a little bit more like Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance. If you like loot collecting, then this version will serve you well. Hopefully it sells enough to warrant them bringing over Torchlight 2, since this would rock with MP.

snap0212

Download started! :) I've never played it before so I'm really looking forward to trying it out. 1200 Points is kind of expensive, but I haven't bought a game on Xbox Live arcade in a long time.

There is a sound in this game... not sure what it is. Maybe its my pet "barking" or something? Its really off-putting, especially so as I have no idea what causes it. Sounds like a cardboard box being ripped, only amplified and sped up, and played through a first generation soundblaster.

Besides that though, this looks like kind of game I've wanted on XBLA for a long while. It doesn't have as much personality as DeathSpank, but the looting, skill trees, pet, and the other gazillion options more than make up for it.

daycru said:
I picked up a spell but can't figure out to assign it to a button. I think it's a fire attack of some kind?
If you picked it up I'm pretty sure you have to learn it first. Select it in your inventory, learn it, and then you should be able to assign it to a button from the skill-tree window.

Raide

daycru said:
I picked up a spell but can't figure out to assign it to a button. I think it's a fire attack of some kind?

I think you select it in your inventory and press X for assign it. Then you press the button you want to assign it to. Thats it!

Troll fish is kinda cool looking. :D

tw1164

I already have on steam, but I think I'm going to grab it on XBLA. My kids love watching the pet transform after feeding it fish.

Noogy

I gotta say I really like playing with a gamepad. I'd love if the PC version was given these controls, particularly as an archer.

Raide

Noogy said:
I gotta say I really like playing with a gamepad. I'd love if the PC version was given these controls, particularly as an archer.

The more I play, the more I enjoy direct control of the player. I know most people have the issue that it is hard to target ranged monster or pick certain monsters out. I think they have done really well with the snap-to targeting and the highlighting of the target.

It might even give Blizzard some ideas for a possible console version of one of their games.

wwm0nkey

Noogy said:
Yeah this game should convince those few crazy people who still think Diablo wont work on consoles that it can work and works extremely well.

Raide

wwm0nkey said:
Yeah this game should convince those few crazy people who still think Diablo wont work on consoles that it can work and works extremely well.

I was listening to the GiantBombcast interview with Runic Games, while playing Torchlight XBLA. :D It kinda sounds like they are going to do Torchlight 2 for 360. The way they talk about MS and the XBLA process (Opposite of Team Meat) + the work they have done on the controls, it almost sounds like a dead-cert.

I hope Torchlight XBLA does well for them.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I played it for about ten minutes this morning... and went back to playing Epic Dungeon, ya know that $.99 XNA game.

Yeah, I dunno. Maybe it's not my type of game.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Torchlight is definitely less mobile and quick than Diablo, which is probably why it works so well on consoles, but comparing it to Epic Dungeon is weird.

Top Bottom