• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torchlight |OT| The Definitive Loot game of 2009

xbhaskarx

What is the deal with this message they want you to send to friends so they will buy the game?
I sent out a few, hoping to get that potion.

wwm0nkey

xbhaskarx said:
What is the deal with this message they want you to send to friends so they will buy the game?
They really should have just made it send to all friends when you push the button. Would have been better, and more games need to do that type of marketing.

Gowans

Noogy said:
I gotta say I really like playing with a gamepad. I'd love if the PC version was given these controls, particularly as an archer.
Yeah same for me with deathspank now playing the demo in gona have to but again. Xbhaskerx you'll get your potion.

Raide

Dabanton said:
Got this on PC but double dipped.

It does feel very good with the pad.

Same, apart from a few Save Game glitches in the PC version, I played it for hours. I love me some loot! This year is pretty hot for loot collecting! :D

xbhaskarx said:
MS need to bring back the "Recommend to a friend" option for games on the marketplace. I still don't understand why they removed it. I guess no one cared about it, because once it was gone it seemed as if no one noticed besides me.

S1kkZ

any chance they will fix the framerate problems (constant stutter)?
really pisses me off, the game runs better on my old notebook.

Raide

I had an update as soon as I got the game, any idea what that was for?

S1kkZ said:
any chance they will fix the framerate problems (constant stutter)?
really pisses me off, the game runs better on my old notebook.

Yes, this is the only thing that gets on my nerves a little. Its like the game is running just a few frames short of smoothness.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Yeah, it actually frustrates me. Come on Runic. Lower the particle density, lower the effect resolution, do something. There's no reason to release it with shitty framerate.

AndyMoogle said:
MS need to bring back the "Recommend to a friend" option for games on the marketplace. I still don't understand why they removed it. I guess no one cared about it, because once it was gone it seemed as if no one noticed besides me.

They remove a lot of stuff in the last patch may be they will bring it back. Another thing I miss is when you in the game tab, you could click Y and browse all the available add-on and dlc that was remove and now it's a pain to have to go to markeplace and do manual search.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Lyphen said:
Yeah, it actually frustrates me. Come on Runic. Lower the particle density, lower the effect resolution, do something. There's no reason to release it with shitty framerate.
There's no reason the 360 should even have any issues with this game. The requirements on the PC are very low.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Adam Prime said:
I played it for about ten minutes this morning... and went back to playing Epic Dungeon, ya know that $.99 XNA game.

Yeah, I dunno. Maybe it's not my type of game.

Must not be. Skills, character depth, and personalization are much more fleshed out in Torchlight... and the deeper you get into it, the more it starts to show it's own charm (such as having a pet you can equip spells to, or the different looks each armor piece gives).

I don't even like PC gaming much, but the TL demo pulled me in for 3 swiftly-moving hours when I discovered the game over Steam during their holiday sales. I wanted to play it's long-lasting demo more than the games I purchased... which really suprised me. The pacing of discovery, the quality of found items, the music, artwork, character skill trees... it all just seemed so well put together, and I knew I wanted to see more of it's elements come to life.

I like Epic Dungeon too, but TL just feels so much more meaty, and compelling. I'd put both over Deathspank, though, hehe. The item quality in that game was so poor, as loot was invalidated and written over within second of finding things, there were no sets worth collecting, and most of the special attacks seemed just passable in personality and effectiveness. DS2 seems to do better in almost all aspects (as if it found it's personal place in the genre), and the Co-Op of the game does help it stand out in this batch of comparisons, however.

I don't see the slight frame issues being much of a problem in this game, either. It'd be nice if it's patched some, but small hickups when new enemies are loaded... I remember this happening in basically every ARPG of this type I've ever played, lol.

I'll throw in my vote for the game controlling insanely great, as well. Just feels like a console ARPG, nothing awkward that leaves that "ewww, PC game!" feel that many such ports exibit.

And big thanks for the idea of having a shared bank between characters, for that matter. SO GREAT not to have to go through the "drop in town, and reload character" junk that older games like PSO had to deal with on consoles!

I've spent some time with the trial and the controls work great, but the framerate issues are annoying. I'll just stick with the PC version for now. Hopefully they will patch the 360 version so it runs better.

EDIT: I actually prefer the interface in the 360 version after spending some time with the PC version again. It had been a while since I played it on PC. It's a shame that it stutters so much on 360 though.

I don't know if it's just pure laziness or simply incompetence, but how do you claim your game is done when the framerate is this awful? Have some pride in your work.

bengraven

If it had multiplayer, I would have double-dipped. Part of me really would love to play Torchlight with my Xbox gamers who normally don't play this sort of game (since the market for console Diablo clones dried up after the PS2/Xbox era).

Alcoholikaust said:
Been playing this on PC for the last 4 nights. Such a great game.

Console gamers: welcome to the loot-grab party. (deathspank did not count)
Sacred 2 was decent, though that game had an even worse framerate than what Torchlight has on 360. Stupid developers decided to go with native 1080p, which resulted in lots of tearing and horrible slowdowns.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
AndyMoogle said:
Sacred 2 was decent, though that game had an even worse framerate than what Torchlight has on 360. Stupid developers decided to go with native 1080p, which resulted in lots of tearing and horrible slowdowns.

I played it with a mate hoping to get my loot fix and found myself utterly disappointed with several aspects of its design.

If you're hoping for a Diablo-esque experience, stay away from Sacred. It may present itself as such, but the reality is different.

Kinspiracy said:
I don't know if it's just pure laziness or simply incompetence, but how do you claim your game is done when the framerate is this awful? Have some pride in your work.

It's not that bad, you are being a bit hyperbole. It's smooth most of the time and not to the point of unplyable. They are small dev team and I think they have done a great job. There are many $60.00 games from bigger dev that are buggy and utter mess.

Saint of Killers said:
Not noticing any frame issues (playing on 360), I'm guessing that's what the patch was for.
The framerate really isn't that bad, it's just that it kind of stops for a second when enemies pop out from barrels and such. Also there is some mildly annoying stuttering here and there.

Great to hear that the game plays well on consoles. I loved it on PC. It's a shame I can't afford it right now so I'll probably buy it when it's on sale.

That's a bad habit I have with smaller, digital games. If I don't buy them day one, I'll wait for a sale.

Ettie

Wonder if they'll have gamepad support for Torchlight 2 on PC, now that they have a quality template with T1XBLA? Hope so.

Ettie said:
Wonder if they'll have gamepad support for Torchlight 2 on PC, now that they have a quality template with T1XBLA? Hope so.
That would be awesome. I've always preferred a controller for hack n slash games.

antiquegamer said:
It's not that bad, you are being a bit hyperbole. It's smooth most of the time and not to the point of unplyable. They are small dev team and I think they have done a great job. There are many $60.00 games from bigger dev that are buggy and utter mess.

Yeah, I was a bit hyperbolic, I admit. I'm just really disappointed when devs can't lock in the framerate at all times. In my opinion, making sacrifices graphically to ensure a stable framerate is worthy. The game is definitely fun. I have one quick question for folks that played it on the PC - is there a screen somewhere that shows you everything you're currently equipped with or do I need to go through all the item submenus to view it?

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Kinspiracy said:
I have one quick question for folks that played it on the PC - is there a screen somewhere that shows you everything you're currently equipped with or do I need to go through all the item submenus to view it?
Interface is completely different on PC. And yeah, it works that way.

Kinspiracy said:
Yeah, I was a bit hyperbolic, I admit. I'm just really disappointed when devs can't lock in the framerate at all times. In my opinion, making sacrifices graphically to ensure a stable framerate is worthy. The game is definitely fun. I have one quick question for folks that played it on the PC - is there a screen somewhere that shows you everything you're currently equipped with or do I need to go through all the item submenus to view it?
Ecaod.jpg

Kinspiracy said:
I haven't found that screen on the 360 version yet. Would be nice to have.
My image is from the PC version. The interface is completely different on 360 because it's made for a controller rather than a mouse+keyboard setup.

tjohn86 said:
Is there any news on Torchlight 2? The official site is still pretty limited.
I believe they said it's coming this summer. Not sure if they've been more specific than that.

EDIT: Torchlight 2 Delayed To July.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
FYI the types of hiccups and frame drops I see in the xbla version, are the exact same kind I got in the PC version back when I had an old video card circa the xbox360 technology era, and had the graphics turned up to max.

it seems it is just the natural bottlenecks in the Torchlight engine.

But the 360 version still runs okay, and actually, about the same as similar loot-ish games on the console.

Crazetex

Every time I play this game, I get another realm deeper... but I can't get myself to finish it. I think it gets too boring, kind of; the gameplay is super-repetitive. It's good-looking and smooth but lacks charm or oomph/interest in my opinion.

I own both PC and XBLA versions now, and both are fantastic. XBLA's framerate should be a lot better, but I guess for whatever reason it isn't. But it isn't too bad and still plays great.

I just kind of wish that it was a $20 retail version with 1000 Gamerscore and all of the Steam achievements with it. I know, I know, basically pay five more bucks for a bunch of achievements, but still.

AEREC

The Mana Legend said:
I own both PC and XBLA versions now, and both are fantastic. XBLA's framerate should be a lot better, but I guess for whatever reason it isn't. But it isn't too bad and still plays great.

I just kind of wish that it was a $20 retail version with 1000 Gamerscore and all of the Steam achievements with it. I know, I know, basically pay five more bucks for a bunch of achievements, but still.

Kinda agree...I would love to have one of the Hardcore achievements.

saelz8

They should have capped the framerate, just for consistencies sake. That said, it plays very nicely with a controller. I think I may prefer it.

Shock & Awe!

bengraven

saelz8 said:
They should have capped the framerate, just for consistencies sake. That said, it plays very nicely with a controller. I think I may prefer it.

Shock & Awe!

Doesn't sound shocking at all. I used to play BG: Dark Alliance back in the day and the first Untold Legends on the PSP and always thought the Diablo-style ARPG worked incredibly well with a controller.

IN fact, I prefer being able to directly control my character to click-to-move controls.

That said, I just can't double-dip. :(

I guess using those secret dungeon scrolls is a little too much grinding.

I'm a level 13 Alchemist going up against level 6 and 7 enemies at this point and I keep leveling up. I just beat that
Lich
boss. Should I start over or will the enemies catch up, or level with me?

I am playing on hard, should I play on very hard?

Raide

DOO13ER said:
So, never played Torchlight before. Have both a 360 and a fairly bitchin' PC. Prefer a gamepad, but kind of worried about the framerate issues.

Which one should I get, GAF?

Download 360 trial, see how you get on. The PC version has the better graphics + mod support though.

Nabs

DOO13ER said:
So, never played Torchlight before. Have both a 360 and a fairly bitchin' PC. Prefer a gamepad, but kind of worried about the framerate issues.

Which one should I get, GAF?

There are demos for both versions.

Tadale

I downloaded the demo because I'm thinking about double dipping, and I gotta say that the frame rate is really getting me down. It drives me crazy to watch the game stutter like that.

bengraven

Anerythristic said:
I guess using those secret dungeon scrolls is a little too much grinding.

I'm a level 13 Alchemist going up against level 6 and 7 enemies at this point and I keep leveling up. I just beat that
Lich
boss. Should I start over or will the enemies catch up, or level with me?

I am playing on hard, should I play on very hard?

This happens to me every single time. I have so much fun using the scrolls that when I get back to the main dungeon I have to go a few levels before I find a challenge.

Just go down a few more levels and eventually it will get harder. Maybe.

GhaleonEB

Kinspiracy said:
How often does the game save? I see no option to do it manually, and the in-game help option is a joke.
I played the demo for a bit this morning to be sure I wanted to pick it up - I did, and I did - and the 'quit to title' or such option from the pause menu saves your location instantly. I did that, then re-loaded to see where it saved, and I wasn in the exact same spot in the dungeon.

It seems easy enough that my daughter can play through on Normal, while I re-start on Hard.

Top Bottom