• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

SerRodrik

In for $20. I might be willing to up it at some point, I certainly did it with Project Eternity. Pretty pleased with how much info they provide upfront, it was smart to directly address some of the concerns people might have.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
Trending $12 million.

InXile can probably get away with putting all their future projects on KS.

Lime

By the way, this game won't be able to top Planescape Torment in at least the narrative department. At least that's how these kind of reunion-like things usually go.

Durante

Trending $12 million.

InXile can probably get away with putting all their future projects on KS.
The "trending" figure is completely meaningless for the first week. Actually, it's pretty meaningless all the time. It doesn't take the funding curve into account at all and just assumes linear backing -- something that never, ever happens.

Izick

I just played through (fully) Planescape: Torment this past holiday season, so I can say with no doubts in my mind, and no nostalgia clouding my view that Planescape: Torment is one of the greatest games of all time, and the story is the best in the medium; so good that it could stand toe-to-toe with other storytelling masterpieces in other mediums.

As for this kickstarter, I'm excited to see what they're trying to do, but I'm worried at the same time. This has nothing to do with the actual elements of PT, like the plots, characters and story, correct? It's more a sequel in terms of the storytelling style and gameplay?

If so, I think that's the right way to go. I would be happy with another Planescape based game, but Torment needs no "true" sequel, prequel, or spin-off. All of the character's stories are perfectly done that I don't ever need another story told around them.

Durante

By the way, this game won't be able to top Planescape Torment in at least the narrative department. At least that's how these kind of reunion-like things usually go.
I agree. But even if it just gets reasonably close, it will be in the top 1% of all games in that regard.

I just played through (fully) Planescape: Torment this past holiday season, so I can say with no doubts in my mind, and no nostalgia clouding my view that Planescape: Torment is one of the greatest games of all time, and the story is the best in the medium; so good that it could stand toe-to-toe with other storytelling masterpieces in other mediums.
Great to hear that it can still impress people as much as it did 13 years ago.

LiK

As for this kickstarter, I'm excited to see what they're trying to do, but I'm worried at the same time. This has nothing to do with the actual elements of PT, like the plots, characters and story, correct? It's more a sequel in terms of the storytelling style and gameplay?

If so, I think that's the right way to go. I would be happy with another Planescape based game, but Torment needs no "true" sequel, prequel, or spin-off. All of the character's stories are perfectly done that I don't ever need another story told around them.

I feel like such an asshole that I only watched the intro. I need to play my copy soon.

$95 for a CE box? That is insulting. I'll pass.

You're not buying the game for that price. You're giving them money to make it. The CE is just a reward for giving that amount.

Lime

I agree. But even if it just gets reasonably close, it will be in the top 1% of all games in that regard.

Great to hear that it can still impress people as much as it did 12 years ago.

So true.

At least we can estimate that the character art will be better this time around:

townieupperclassfemal1qb4a.jpg

namelessoneipsd0.jpg

compared to

Durante

Well this sounds interesting. I think I'm in
It does sound like a perfect setting for a technomancer.

Actually, I hadn't read anything about Numenera before. I really like the forgotten science = magic angle. It's not novel as such, but it hasn't really been explored in games yet.

Perkel

Banned
$450k in 2 hours and 20 minutes. It's 17:20 here in europe +/- 2 hour on other parts and Europe is coming back from work. Expect at least same flow of money for next 5-7 hours.

arkon

Backed it at the $95 level. Missed out on some of the others (the big one for me being Eternity, wish my financial situation had been better at the time), so wasn't going to miss out on this.

I'm looking forward to what Monte cooks up for this setting... I'll get my coat.

Perkel

Banned

Actually, I hadn't read anything about Numenera before. I really like the forgotten science = magic angle. It's not novel as such, but it hasn't really been explored in games yet.

Isn't Numenera completely new setting ? PnP kickstarter for Numenera was not that long ago.

Meier

I don't back kickstarters personally.. nothing has been a big enough must have for me to do it yet (I did do a comparable thing on pledgemusic) and the lead time is far too long IMO. However, initially I found this plan to do a second kickstarter to be a little gross but I read his justification and that all makes sense. I'll be looking forward to seeing how both their titles turn out.

Owensboro

Well crap, I missed the $95 tier by what must have been 10 seconds. It said it had 50 left when I clicked the icon, and then I forgot my damn Kicktarter password.

Welp, I'm in for $20 so I can go ahead and snag the cheap copy. Now, I deal with the internal struggle to spend $110 or not for a bunch of physical stuff I'm sure I'll throw away in 2 years :( .. Freaking collectors editions man.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
The "trending" figure is completely meaningless for the first week. Actually, it's pretty meaningless all the time. It doesn't take the funding curve into account at all and just assumes linear backing -- something that never, ever happens.

I know, it's just I've never seen it go that high for a video game KS.

Alright, I think this is the excuse I needed to finally go and play P:T.

Perkel

Banned
I thought it slowed back a little but no just kickstarter hickup. Went from 458 to 478 in seconds

EDIT:

4th 10k backer out of 12 that was spike

Dr.Acula

Banned
Don't sleep on Torment fans. The only KS I backed was Wasteland, owing to Fallout being one of my fav games. Are there people who wouldn't kickstart a game normally, but will make an exception for one of their childhood classics?

This KS is gonna be huge.

I predict more than a couple high-profile backers send money their way.

Beckx

Yeah, I'm pumped. That's a serious 60s/70s fantasy trope right there (Jack Vance, Michael Moorcock, several others) & I love it.

Now I want a Dying Earth game, though. Maybe that can be Fargo's next Kickstarter.

LiK

Less than 24, we still haven't hit peak times for most of the US yet. Plus there are sure to be a couple of high profile backers/Notch's left to make pledges at the ultra tiers.

Yep, them West Coasters are just getting ready for work now.

Dr.Acula

Banned
I'm really amazed KS doesn't crash.

But then again, all the money's going through Amazon, correct? They got some phat series' of tubes. I wonder what kind of sales spike this represents for them? 1% above normal traffic maybe? How many purchases are they handling per second normally?

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
A good point but I guess I just expect more fan friendly prices. The digital price is good at least.

You can get the game with a $20 pledge.

$95 is the price of most Collector's Editions nowadays anyway. It's actually competitive, not insulting.

Top Bottom