• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
They could do a better job with having smaller, more enticing stretch goals. The 500k ones they have now have been pretty blah.

I really liked the endless dungeon. Sounds like Torment is doing something similar with the Castoff's Labyrinth, but no graphic and quickly achievable levels.
The Labyrinth will do similar things to the endless dungeon, yes, including reasonable achievable steps.

It makes sense to have bigger step stretch goals at the beginning and end but don't worry too much, we intend to keep things interesting. Vague, I know, but you'll see what I mean in due time.

Stretch goals are funny for no other reason than no matter what you do, people will always tell you you're doing it wrong, haha. "The best captains stand on the shore", we say in the Netherlands.

injurai

Banned
I really liked the endless dungeon. Sounds like Torment is doing something similar with the Castoff's Labyrinth, but no graphic and quickly achievable levels.

Yeah that too. Also that last half mil is going entirely to polishing and improving every aspect of the game. So it is a promise to do things right instead of just getting bogged down with extra content.

The Labyrinth will do similar things to the endless dungeon, yes, including reasonable achievable steps.

It makes sense to have bigger step stretch goals at the beginning and end but don't worry too much, we intend to keep things interesting. Vague, I know, but you'll see what I mean in due time.

Stretch goals are funny for no other reason than no matter what you do, people will always tell you you're doing it wrong, haha. "The best captains stand on the shore", we say in the Netherlands.

Is the inspiration the Modron maze?
So maybe a quasi random element to give it more replayability?

bidaum

No worries here, but you say Torment Kickstarter and despite my best efforts it's hard not to check in too frequently... like counting seconds on the treadmill.

Is the inspiration the Modron maze?
So maybe a quasi random element to give it more replayability?

Modron Maze was more of a grind. We're not going to do any grind/dungeon crawl areas that are purely focused on combat like that. The Labyrinth is more focused on post-death gameplay, making it a worthwhile area to explore on its own right and thus making death more than a "well, better reload then!" state. Can't comment on randomization right now.

I sure as hell hope it is nothing like the Modron Maze.

Modron Maze was more of a grind. We're not going to do any grind/dungeon crawl areas that are purely focused on combat like that. The Labyrinth is more focused on post-death gameplay, making it a worthwhile area to explore on its own right and thus making death more than a "well, better reload then!" state. Can't comment on randomization right now.

I'm fine with the no-grind part :D

I also like where they're going with death.
Is vaguely reminiscent of Ringworld, in that you are transported somewhere else once you die and have to physically get back to where you died if you wish to return.

Dr.Acula

Banned
The Labyrinth is more focused on post-death gameplay, making it a worthwhile area to explore on its own right and thus making death more than a "well, better reload then!" state. Can't comment on randomization right now.

That's a really cool idea.

You make games. Do you ever get close to launch, look back at all the great ideas, see that they've not been implemented, and say, "what the heck happened?"

The thing about that is, how do you keep it fresh? Sure, the first time someone dies, wicked, but then the sixth or seventh time, the player is like, not this thing again.

I had this idea for a game where when the player would fall asleep they would enter another world. The player would then have to choose between insomnia and narcolepsy to further the plot. The end could take place in either world.

Zukuu

Banned
Just name the floating skull "Murray" :D

I hope we get a few (smartly included) references of Planescape:Torment in the game. ;)

I agree with a ridiculous high percent of your post, to the point I think you might actually be me.

I too am reminded of Moebius, and considering he's one of my favorite artists, I am really, really happy.

aw very nice to hear I'm not completely alone with my weird opinions :)

I read something I missed earlier.

The main char can be either a girl or a man. Actually, I think that most of PS:T awesome story was because of the predifined main char.

The thing is, gender has an influence on story (Deionarra for ex.). I don't care if it's a woman or a man, but I tought the main char gender should be predefined, or they'll have to change many NPC gender too depending o your choice, I guess.

Missed that, what part of the update was it?

This week, expect more details of our vision for Torment (including more Tales of Torment episodes), information on more frequent Stretch Goals, and more.
From Update 5.

I read something I missed earlier.

The main char can be either a girl or a man. Actually, I think that most of PS:T awesome story was because of the predifined main char.

The thing is, gender has an influence on story (Deionarra for ex.). I don't care if it's a woman or a man, but I tought the main char gender should be predefined, or they'll have to change many NPC gender too depending o your choice, I guess.

With that said, PS:T's story could have been done (kinda) with a lesbian MC or Deionarra as a man (and similar gender swaps for other chars).
If they have the two genders in mind from the get-go, then they could go for some nice differentiation.

Ideally, I'd like to see 5-10% of the game be different depending on which gender you pick.

dude

dude
I actually think it would have been a far braver choice to have only a female protagonist. But a choice will do fine as well. It requires some more work, but I think InXile can pull it off.

Brian Fargo‏ @BrianFargo
Yes we are working on an intermediate stretch goal between 2.5 and 3 mil... we hope to have it by tomorrow. Another great day!

Yes, indeed.

Zukuu

Banned
What I would love would be a Jagged Alliance / Falloutish "psychological quiz" that determines your starting traits/points. I always loved these. Make them optional for all I care, but I'd love to see something like this included. Maybe as bonus for "new" players to give them a clue which class / focus they are suited for. I always think that it's a lackluster that epic RPGs start as "pick your stats and class", instead of evolving around you and your playstyle. Doesn't have to be set in stone, but it adds greatly to the immersion.

Switched pledge to $28 after seeing the bonus rewards. I'm very close to going $75 though, for the digital corebook.. Though I'd love to just be able to add a physical copy to my current pledge...

Dis game!

Switched pledge to $28 after seeing the bonus rewards. I'm very close to going $75 though, for the digital corebook.. Though I'd love to just be able to add a physical copy to my current pledge...

Dis game!

I am strongly considering a physical tier, but I've already spent so much on Kickstarters the last couple of months.
And I just bought a new PC, so digital will have to do.

~Kinggi~

Banned
So i predict 10-11 days to reach 3 million. Unless there is an awesome update or something that gets attention. They need to do the reddit circuit etc.

injurai

Banned
So i predict 10-11 days to reach 3 million. Unless there is an awesome update or something that gets attention. They need to do the reddit circuit etc.

They should save that one for the final push.

I'm sure they have already garnered attention in most corners of the internet.

mclem

It seems to have settled at around 70k/day, but there's still scope for movement. I'm going to say a few fewer days, around 7.

It seems to have settled at around 70k/day, but there's still scope for movement. I'm going to say a few fewer days, around 7.

70K a day would be an extremely high average in this calm period. WL2 fell to the 30-40K range in this time and PE to the 40-50K range.

They seem to have gotten 100k a day now for some time.
We're at 2.5 million, so I'm expecting it to take a week at most.

Then it'll hopefully speed up as they release more frequent stretch goals, and a final one-two day boost reaching the 2x of the first day - 3 million!

All in all, I'm expecting 1.5 million+100k times 25 days (2.5 million)+3million=7 million!

Instro

70K a day would be an extremely high average in this calm period. WL2 fell to the 30-40K range in this time and PE to the 40-50K range.

Yeah it will slowly drip down over the course of the kickstarter, you're probably looking at another 700k-1m over the next 21 days, and another 1m or so in the final 2. Conservatively speaking, I wouldn't be surprised to see it go higher.

~Kinggi~

Banned
They seem to have gotten 100k a day now for some time.
We're at 2.5 million, so I'm expecting it to take a week at most.

Then it'll hopefully speed up as they release more frequent stretch goals, and a final one-two day boost reaching the 2x of the first day - 3 million!

All in all, I'm expecting 1.5 million+100k times 25 days (2.5 million)+3million=7 million!

You guys should look at kicktraq more. 68k, 72k, Today is 52k. They will hover in the 30-60 k region for the next 10 days or so. Thus, 10-11 days.

I am strongly considering a physical tier, but I've already spent so much on Kickstarters the last couple of months.
And I just bought a new PC, so digital will have to do.

Yea totally the situation I'm in. I'd love to have the physical stuff but I'm not much of a collector, and wouldn't really utilize a lot of it after checking it out initially. But I would love the huge corebook in physical form.

Zukuu

Banned
Remember, PAYPAL isn't included! So the amount pledged is probably a bit higher.

That said, I wonder why they don't say how much was pledged via paypal so far. If they have via Twitter, please share the info.

Top Bottom