• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

lmpaler

So playing more PS:T and being LTTP to it, I must say I fucking LOVE the game. Duh. And! I have never laughed manically at the mere thought of being a huge dick to someone.

Awaiting-Death, convo, I'm going to kill him for money. He closes his eyes

1. Strangle him and take the money
2. Take the money and quietly leave(lol)

I fucking lost it when I read that. I cannot wait to see how they incorporate the line between being a dick or not in this new game.

So playing more PS:T and being LTTP to it, I must say I fucking LOVE the game. Duh. And! I have never laughed manically at the mere thought of being a huge dick to someone.

Awaiting-Death, convo, I'm going to kill him for money. He closes his eyes

1. Strangle him and take the money
2. Take the money and quietly leave(lol)

I fucking lost it when I read that. I cannot wait to see how they incorporate the line between being a dick or not in this new game.

Aww man, everytime I hear someone talking about PS:T I want to drop every other game I've started and start it... but I need to hold off because it will surely consume me in a time where I really need to be focusing on my studies (nearing the end of a 4 year long dark and musky tunnel of an education degree). Let me finish Mark of the Ninja and Dark souls at least before I cave in.

Zeliard

Wow, we're already at 45k backers.
And we still got 20+ days left.

How does this compare to Project Eternity?

It's a bit more; PE was at around 43k backers after a week. More significant so far is the funding, with Numenera having made around 750k more than PE in the same span. Remains to be seen how it plays out. :>

It's a bit more; PE was at around 43k backers after a week. More significant so far is the funding, with Numenera having made around 750k more than PE in the same span. Remains to be seen how it plays out. :>

If they can get 250k/125k stretch goals out of the way, and post some neat character art/environmental art I think it'll pick up. If they announce avellone as a stretch goal I could see them returning to a 100-200k a day rate.

Violet_0

Banned
didn't notice the $28 tier before, neat. Considering that I was one of the 'late' adopter that pledge $25 for just the game, that's a rather easy decision to make

mclem

You guys should look at kicktraq more. 68k, 72k, Today is 52k. They will hover in the 30-60 k region for the next 10 days or so. Thus, 10-11 days.

It's important to remember that the last figure on Kickstarter is always a work in progress; it increases as the day goes on. That 52k finished up as 56k, for what it's worth; a small increase from what you say. My suspicion it'll actually be higher than 60k on average, since I expect it to increase a little as it nears 3M (and more if there's a 2.75M goal in the interim). My 7 day suggestion was based on assuming an average of 70k per day, which might be a little high, but I think averaging just above 60k is just about plausible.

It depends on just what level it actually settles on when all's said and done, since it's still finding a regular day-by-day level.

Update 6!

Hi Forgotten Ones,

We’re generally planning for 2-3 updates per week. If you're interested in more frequent Torment news, follow us on our Facebook and tumblr pages (and @BrianFargo), which we'll update more frequently.

TL;DR: Colin talks about the Meres (video). George Ziets is on board. Some glimpses into post-death gameplay. New $2.75m Stretch Goal. New Stretch Goal idea forum.

The Meres

Colin describes the Meres, which are the devices by which you’ll inhabit the bodies of other castoffs. You’ll learn about these early in Torment and they will be one of the tools at your disposal to solve various situations – or simply to explore more of the world, your heritage, and the nature of the Tides. Many of the Meres will be optional (or even hidden), and they are one of several ways in which the story is modular and reactive – which Meres are available to you at different points in the game will depend in part upon your choices.

$2.5M Achieved!

Thanks to you continuing to spread the word and add to your pledges, we’ve reached the next stretch goal, meaning that George Ziets will be joining the writing team. We are also adding a sixth companion.

Additionally, Monte will write a novella that will be added to the digital and printed novella compilations. (We’ll talk more about the nature of the novellas soon. You make think seven is too many... not so! We have many stories to tell...)

We will also implement the Castoff’s Labyrinth. Death in Torment will not be the same as “game over,” and there’s more to it this time than waking up in a mortuary. Your body is mostly immortal. Your consciousness, on the other hand, is a twisted place. When you die, your consciousness travels somewhere else, to a labyrinth of the mind.

The Castoff’s Labyrinth is a strange realm, a dreamlike maze of jungles, stairways, tunnels, and ruined cities. It’s your mind, but you wouldn’t know it from all that’s in here (I mean, what the hell is that dead, tentacled thing the size of a mountain range?). When you die in the game, you could always just reload, or maybe find the easy way out of the maze and back to your body, but you’d be missing out – it’s our goal to make gameplay after death compelling enough that you won’t even think about reloading.

The Castoff’s Labyrinth is a bizarre and interesting gameplay area, one of haunting exploration and discovery. As it grows, its secrets become deeper and more complex. Its depths are called Fathoms, and each brings new secrets and -- for the determined -- new rewards. What types of secrets and rewards? One will be lost cyphers: Each time you die, a new cypher (a single-use numenera) appears in the Labyrinth that you can take back with you. As the Labyrinth gets bigger, more of these random cyphers will become available the deeper you go. More types of secrets are attached to upcoming Stretch Goals, some of which are described below.

For every 3000 Backers beyond 45,000 (roughly when the $2.5m Stretch Goal was reached), we will extend the Castoff’s Labyrinth by 1 Fathom. So at 48,000 Backers, we’ll be at Fathom 2, at 51,000 Fathom 3, etc. (As of this writing, we are well on the way to Fathom 2!) Each Fathom adds deeper playable content and reactivity, and more of the features reached through the Stretch Goals (e.g., like increased quantity and complexity of the Reflections discussed below).

We’ll soon have a graphical representation up to better show progress in expanding the Castoff Labyrinth. (Backers through both Kickstarter and PayPal will count toward determining the labyrinth's Fathoms.)

New $2.75M Stretch Goal (and an addition at $3M)

Many have requested more frequent Stretch Goals now that we’re in the slower period of the Kickstarter campaign. In addition to the Castoff’s Labyrinth gaining Fathoms, we are excited to announce the following at $2.75m (as suggested by manaf82):

Over a decade ago, an enthusiastic writer and designer broke into the games industry through a job in QA at Interplay. One of the games he worked on as QA was Planescape: Torment. It didn’t take long for Brian Mitsoda to prove his creative capabilities and move into design, eventually leaving Interplay and becoming a key writer for Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines. I met Brian in 2005, when he joined me as the creative lead for Dwarfs, a grim prequel to Snow White that I was the lead designer on at Obsidian. Brian has since founded his own company, DoubleBear Productions, whose game Dead State, met with great success on Kickstarter last year. Brian will contribute his creative talent to Torment, bringing him back full circle in terms of his career. (Fortunately, the schedules for Torment and Dead State make this possible.) And what could be more fitting for a game that explores one’s legacy?

At this Stretch Goal we will also add Reflections of Companions and NPCs to the Castoff’s Labyrinth. These Reflections have different dialog and information than their living counterparts, and you will learn secrets about them that would otherwise remain hidden. (But are these secrets really about them? Or are they about you?) The more Fathoms within the Labyrinth, the more Reflections there will be, and the deeper their dialogues become.

Finally, we are adding another Castoff Labyrinth feature to the $3m Stretch Goal: Secret Meres. These Meres (dependent upon the Fathoms) are hidden within the Labyrinth and are accessible only from your own mind.

New Stretch Goal Idea Forum

We have opened a new idea forum on our Torment Community specifically to get your input on what you’d like us to focus on for Stretch Goals. Already your ideas on our general Torment Kickstarter forum have helped lead us to the Castoff’s Labyrinth, George Ziets, and Brian Mitsoda as Stretch Goals. This new forum is specifically for Stretch Goal ideas and voting and will help us plan the path ahead – we have our own ideas, but we want to hear more of yours. We’re starting by limiting the number of votes to just 6 so that everyone has to choose carefully what is most important to them (but of course you can post comments anywhere). We’ve prepopulated this forum with some of our thoughts, as well as several others you’ve mentioned in the forums or comments already.

More than 3500 of you have joined our User Voice forums – if you haven’t already, please register at our website and add your voice!

Colin’s Apology (Part 1)

In case you missed it, here is Colin’s best attempt at being apologetic for the imbalanced Complete Book of Elves. (Are you convinced he’s really sorry?)

image-223570-full.jpg

Have a great Wednesday!

Kevin

Zeliard

Already your ideas on our general Torment Kickstarter forum have helped lead us to the Castoff’s Labyrinth, George Ziets, and Brian Mitsoda as Stretch Goals.

I wonder how many people are screaming at them for Avellone. Mitsoda is so unexpected I'm almost starting to think there is an Avellone stretch goal in the works, heh.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Can I exchange my Dead State kickstarter money for Torment kickstarter money? Since Dead State is vaporware that Brian Mitsoda doesn't feel obligated to post updates about?

Zeliard

Yeah curious how it's going to work out with Dead State. I missed out on pledging to that project but people don't seem too pleased with its progression.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Can I exchange my Dead State kickstarter money for Torment kickstarter money? Since Dead State is vaporware that Brian Mitsoda doesn't feel obligated to post updates about?

Lol, I was just thinking this. I had to go digging in their forums after the "which kickstarters have you backed and how do you feel" thread to find out that a rough combat video is apparently coming out soon, and it's been ages since the last KS update.

But now this makes me want a Bloodlines sequel even more (the MMO will help, but it won't be the same :/)

Ithil

I wonder how many people are screaming at them for Avellone. Mitsoda is so unexpected I'm almost starting to think there is an Avellone stretch goal in the works, heh.

Avellone is a lot busier now than he was when Wasteland 2 was Kickstarted, he's lead writer on PE as well as Creative Director for all of Obsidian's projects. They haven't really elaborated on which writer will be doing what, since they already have quite a few, and I'm not sure who is head writer ( like being the main force between writing the main plot).

I'm sure a later stretch goal will get Avellone's input on some level, though, even if he just writes a couple of the party characters or something.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I think Dead State will look rough because it has much less funding than other projects but mechanically it will be good.

Labadal

Upping my pledge after I read Update #6. Mitsoda is a great addition. Doubt we'll see Avellone on this project.

Speaking of Mitsoda, isn't the Dead State gameplay video supposed to be shown this week?

kmag

Oh mitsoda. Nice. That'll help keep things ticking over.

Fargo being nice about losing the quickest to $1 million to the Veronica Mars kickstarter.

Zeliard

Avellone is a lot busier now than he was when Wasteland 2 was Kickstarted, he's lead writer on PE as well as Creative Director for all of Obsidian's projects. They haven't really elaborated on which writer will be doing what, since they already have quite a few, and I'm not sure who is head writer ( like being the main force between writing the main plot).

I'm sure a later stretch goal will get Avellone's input on some level, though, even if he just writes a couple of the party characters or something.

I'm sure he's probably far too busy, but man would it be fun to stick Avellone's name alongside this crew:

Kevin Saunders, Colin McComb, Monte Cook, George Ziets, Brian Mitsoda, Mark Morgan

That is an impressive team.

Here's hoping in futility that Avellone reunites with his old MotB mates and takes on a role similar to that one (he wrote Gann and Kaelyn).

So 6 legacies represented the 5 tides plus neutral:

1. Tide Blue
  2. Tide Gold
  3. Tide Indigo
  4. Tide Silver
  5. Tide Red
  6. Neutral
So by increasing it to 11 legacies they're adding the following combos:

1. Tide Blue+Tide Gold
  2. Tide Gold+Tide Indigo
  3. Tide Indigo+Tide Silver
  4. Tide Silver+Tide Red
  5. Tide Red+Tide Blue

... which leaves a couple of combinations:

1. Tide Blue+Tide Indigo
  2. Tide Blue+Tide Silver
  3. Tide Gold+Tide Silver
  4. Tide Gold+Tide Red
  5. Tide Indigo+Tide Red
  2. Tide Blue+Tide Gold+Tide Silver
  3. Tide Blue+Tide Gold+Tide Red
  4. Tide Gold+Tide Indigo+Tide Silver
  5. Tide Gold+Tide Indigo+Tide Red
  6. Tide Indigo+Tide Silver+Tide Blue
  7. Tide Indigo+Tide Silver+Tide Red
  8. Tide Red+Tide Blue+Tide Silver

This is before we get into ordered combinations (e.g. Tide Red is a primary, Tide Blue is the secondary; Tide Blue is a primary, Tide Red is the secondary... and so on).

FACE

Banned
Oh mitsoda. Nice. That'll help keep things ticking over.

Fargo being nice about losing the quickest to $1 million to the Veronica Mars kickstarter.

That was fast.

Seriously considering upping my pledge to $80 after this update.

Zeliard

I wonder how much Mitsoda will be involved. It does seem somewhat bizarre to have him on when he would presumably have his hands full with Dead State. They note in the update that the scheduling works out, so I'm wondering if that just means that Mitsoda's contribution will be a lot more limited than the rest. Or maybe Dead State is further along than it seems.

Azih

I don't think that's quite fair I think. Seems to me like Double Bear truly is a bare bones shop and so don't have the kind of PR and marketing resources that guys like Fargo and companies like Obsidian do.

Really quickly browsing the forums it seems like they didn't even have an Assistant Producer for a long while.

JDSN

Banned
I am glad I skipped on backing Dead State. Shame that all this great personalities are relegaded to writing roles, Mitsoda should be Creative Director.

Mitsoda! Oh man, very exciting.

The Castoff's Labyrinth is a very intruiging idea, and the Meres sound like a cool mechanic too. Each update is giving some really tasty info so far, I'm impressed.

I didn't KS Dead State at any tier with Radio access, so I don't know if they're actually updating there. Once Mitsoda said that progress updates would be exclusive to those tiers I didn't expect to hear anything.

I'm pretty stoke to hear the news that Fargo is bringing Mitsoda on though.

Top Bottom