• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Audioboxer

Going to start playing Planescape Torment for the first time tonight, am I in for a treat? Bought it on GOG, downloading it and the recommended mods now.

CrunchyB

Audίoboxer;50378322 said:
Going to start playing Planescape Torment for the first time tonight, am I in for a treat? Bought it on GOG, downloading it and the recommended mods now.

Yes! Have fun exploring Sigil!

Audίoboxer;50381760 said:
Thanks, all the mods installed fine, but I'm having some serious issues in-game. It runs really choppy/laggy to the point of being unplayable.

Windows 8 64bit, and an AMD 6850.

edit: Found how to get it working in Windows 8 here - http://www.gog.com/forum/planescape_torment/has_anyone_been_able_to_get_this_working_in_windows_8

You have no idea how lucky you are.
My only advice to you is to savour every last bit of it.

Spoilers:

I spent a whole night drawing up maps for the Modron maze and trying to clear every single room in it.

http://tormentrpg.tumblr.com/castofflabyrinth

tumblr_inline_mjrp61hc4jdx.png

I'm really liking the look of that!

Zukuu

Banned
I kinda wish it was moving. I dunno why, but just imagine if this would actually be a huge ship, or moving fortress.

Yeah, it has slowed down quite a bit. Hopefully we'll see a last week bump similar to Star Citizen's :D

I think the problem was releasing a 3 million goal too soon.
We've been staring at the same two stretch goals for some time now, just waiting for them to be finished just so we can see the next couple of stretch goals.

We still got 3 weeks though, so at this rate we should hopefully have reached the 3 million in a week, leaving 2 weeks to try to raise another 1 million to reach parity with Project Eternity - maybe 1.5 millions?

FACE

Banned
I think the problem was releasing a 3 million goal too soon.
We've been staring at the same two stretch goals for some time now, just waiting for them to be finished just so we can see the next couple of stretch goals.

We still got 3 weeks though, so at this rate we should hopefully have reached the 3 million in a week, leaving 2 weeks to try to raise another 1 million to reach parity with Project Eternity - maybe 1.5 millions?

I think Star Citizen raised over 2 million dollars in two days, be optimistic!

Zukuu

Banned
Aircraft carrier would be fine as well.

I want it moving! Just think about it, it's out of the blue dark as night, then the game narrates that a flying airship, that carries a huge fortress on top, is slowly, but silently floating in the sky above you, blocking the sun due to it's tremendous size, creating a shadow as big as a city.

I want it moving! Just think about it, it's out of the blue dark as night, then the game narrates that a flying airship, that carries a huge fortress on top, is slowly, but silently floating in the sky above you, blocking the sun due to it's tremendous size, creating a shadow as big as a city.

In the sky above you? Not sure you understand what this is. The Castoff's Labyrinth does not have a physical existence in the real world. This is a representation of the Last Castoff's mind.

Zukuu

Banned
In the sky above you? Not sure you understand what this is. The Castoff's Labyrinth does not have a physical existence in the real world. This is a representation of the Last Castoff's mind.

Well, I don't know how the "inner self" looks like. Could be an own "world", instead of only one place, so this could be very well possible. The sky represents the freedom of choice, tinted by the tide you're aligned to and the fortress... Okay, I admit, I just want a huge moving, visitable place, no matter what. ^^

Eusis

That'd make the repurposed aircraft carrier idea fascinating in a different way, though I'm guessing it's just a coincidence at this point.

Zukuu

Banned
Just started my replay of Planescape:Torment after over a decade.

16 Str
17 Int
15 Wis
rest base

And I don't even plan on being a mage. I just like to have the muscles with the brain. If reasoning fails, I'm going to threaten the crap outta them.

lmpaler

Just started my replay of Planescape:Torment after over a decade.

16 Str
17 Int
15 Wis
rest base

And I don't even plan on being a mage. I just like to have the muscles with the brain. If reasoning fails, I'm going to threaten the crap outta them.

Similar to mine, although a higher Dex would be nice for certain situations too, but eh.

j0bxSqc.jpg

This image is why I cannot wait for this game. I was going to take out the leaders of these gangs and I didn't want to pay the toll to cross the alley anyways, but because they hate each other I just kited them to the rival gang and watched a massacre unfold. Made my quest waaaaaaaaaaaaay easier for Mr. Rose and it gave me some :lol: fun. Simple things like this make games so much better for me and they seem to be gone in most games these days.

Labadal

Been so undecided on how much I should pledge. Started out at $110, then lowered it to $35 and now raising it to 80. I just read all of their updates, plus what was available on their tumblr page. I think I'll stay at the $80 tier to get 2 copies of the game. I don't really feel compelled to pledge more than that, because the higher tiers don't offer anything that I really want or need, will still keeping my rewards in digital form.

Myomoto

Has it been confirmed that this will follow the Infinity Engine/Project Eternity graphical style of basically a 'painted' background that the characters run around on, or will it be like Wasteland 2?

mclem

Has it been confirmed that this will follow the Infinity Engine/Project Eternity graphical style of basically a 'painted' background that the characters run around on, or will it be like Wasteland 2?

The latter for now, with a possibility of a stretch goal later on to swap to the former.

The lack of daily updates is really killing my buzz, bruh. Make a video of Colin balancing a pen on his nose or something...

Daily is too much. Kevin already commented a week ago we'll do about 3 updates a week for now, and make each of em meaty. There's more frequent tidbits on the tumblr site, but spamming Kickstarter daily is not a good idea.

Yeah, there probably will be an update tomorrow. We probably passed 2.75m, with Paypal, don't know those numbers though (we batch process and check every Monday).

Zukuu

Banned
Daily is too much. Kevin already commented a week ago we'll do about 3 updates a week for now, and make each of em meaty. There's more frequent tidbits on the tumblr site, but spamming Kickstarter daily is not a good idea.

Yeah, there probably will be an update tomorrow. We probably passed 2.75m, with Paypal, don't know those numbers though (we batch process and check every Monday).

Make sure to include the PayPal numbers in the update! :)

FACE

Banned

Can you let Adam Heine know that he's awesome?

Zukuu

Banned
I don't remember too many details, so correct me if I'm wrong, but replaying PS:T made me realize one wish I have for Numenera so far: NON-LETHAL combat paths.

Example:
The quest where a hooker pretends to be drunk and steals a few coppers from you.
You have the following options:
-Attack her (kill)
-Tell her to stop (kill or go away)
-Grab her hand (Dex-Check)
-Pretend to have not noticed it (Go away)

So, if you have not enough dex, you're forced to kill her OR just let it pass, since the 2nd option forces you to either kill her, or run away as well.

But what about the most common thing to do? I want my money back, but I don't want to slaughter her either. It's not possible, because there are no means to "end battle" without killing the other participant.

There are quite a few scenarios where I'm forced to "kill" (or run away) just because combat has initiated somehow, without actually wanting to kill anyone nor flee. Just like threatening someone "to beat him up", shouldn't mean to kill him if he isn't convinced. I want info and a threat with force doesn't make sense to end in killing, since the info is then lost forever.

This could be implemented in two ways:
-Have a special kind of weapon (or bare fists) that can't kill
-And/Or let specific NPCs in specific situations where it makes sense initiate a dialogue with you once their HP drops to a specific amount (depending situation or 1HP in general).

In the course of the example quest above it could be something like this:
=>"Here sir is your money back, I'm so sorry, I just took a few coins to be able to feed my children..."
-Take the money and leave her be.
-Tell her that she can keep the money and give her an additional 10 coppers, if she promises to never steal again.
-Take the money and kill her anyway.
-Show mercy and let her keep the coins, but only if she keeps the bargain of a *real* harlot.
etc

Again, only for situations where it makes sense. A generic thug or necromancer doesn't need this kind of option, (tho, it could be used here as well occasionally: They try to pay you for sparing their life or vow to change or tell you a secret or whatever).

I'm glad that due to someone backing out/upgrading I was able to get in at $20. My funds are too limited for me to earmark money towards Kickstarters that are year+ from fruition....but Torment is one of my favorite games ever. I just couldn't justify paying 25 the same night the page went up when it was cheaper a few hours earlier. Oh well, I'm really really eager to play this game.

PFD

Audίoboxer;50378322 said:

It's amazing. If you're playing on a large widescreen monitor, be sure to download the widescreen mod AND the UI mod that fixes everything and increases font size (choose the largest font size.)

I don't remember too many details, so correct me if I'm wrong, but replaying PS:T made me realize one wish I have for Numenera so far: NON-LETHAL combat paths.

Example:
The quest where a hooker pretends to be drunk and steals a few coppers from you.
You have the following options:
-Attack her (kill)
-Tell her to stop (kill or go away)
-Grab her hand (Dex-Check)
-Pretend to have not noticed it (Go away)

So, if you have not enough dex, you're forced to kill her OR just let it pass, since the 2nd option forces you to either kill her, or run away as well.

But what about the most common thing to do? I want my money back, but I don't want to slaughter her either. It's not possible, because there are no means to "end battle" without killing the other participant.

There are quite a few scenarios where I'm forced to "kill" (or run away) just because combat has initiated somehow, without actually wanting to kill anyone nor flee. Just like threatening someone "to beat him up", shouldn't mean to kill him if he isn't convinced. I want info and a threat with force doesn't make sense to end in killing, since the info is then lost forever.

This could be implemented in two ways:
-Have a special kind of weapon (or bare fists) that can't kill
-And/Or let specific NPCs in specific situations where it makes sense initiate a dialogue with you once their HP drops to a specific amount (depending situation or 1HP in general).

In the course of the example quest above it could be something like this:
=>"Here sir is your money back, I'm so sorry, I just took a few coins to be able to feed my children..."
-Take the money and leave her be.
-Tell her that she can keep the money and give her an additional 10 coppers, if she promises to never steal again.
-Take the money and kill her anyway.
-Show mercy and let her keep the coins, but only if she keeps the bargain of a *real* harlot.
etc

Again, only for situations where it makes sense. A generic thug or necromancer doesn't need this kind of option, (tho, it could be used here as well occasionally: They try to pay you for sparing their life or vow to change or tell you a secret or whatever).
I like this, try posting it on their suggestions forum.

FACE

Banned
Damn the pledges have slowed down a lot over the last day or 2...

Quick! Everyone go up their pledge by $1

I'm definitely considering going for dat $80 digital tier.

I could have dealt with being less right regarding my backing trajectory for this kickstarter. I hope they have something good planned for the final week.

They're doing an AMA on Reddit on wednesday, I'm not sure how big an impact it'll have.

Grym

I'm definitely considering going for dat $80 digital tier.

I'm already at $95. Really no where for physical goods tier backer to go from there unless I want to triple my pledge to $275 (way too rich for me). They really need to add something physical-based between $95 and $250 for me to even consider (I've seen multiple developers mention they have plans in that regard so that's good).

Naito

I'm already at $95. Really no where for physical goods tier backer to go from there unless I want to triple my pledge to $275 (way too rich for me).

Aye, same situation here. I'm actually considering to lower my pledge to the 80$ digital tier, I'm not really a collector type in the end.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Still trucking along. Was away this weekend, didnt see it drop to around 20-30 a day. Hopefully the last stretch follows PE pattern.

oh you :D

they're having a party btw
TORMENT Kickstarter closing party!

inXile entertainment is currently planning for our Torment Kickstarter closing party for the afternoon of Friday April 5th. We thought it would be nice to see if some of our Kickstarter backers wanted to join us. Since we are located in Newport Beach and our backers are all over the world, we didn’t know how many of you would be able to show up to a party in the middle of the day, on a Friday, in Orange County California. I am not sure if we need 50 invites or 500… We will do actual an RSVP later, we just need a general idea now. Please leave a comment if you would be there.

Top Bottom