• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

First time I hear this term. After a quick google search, it doesn't seem to be very widespread tho. Figures that the first result is a neo-gaf thread asking "what is euro-jank". x)

Gothic went downhil due to publisher clash and the new developer that followed eventually. Witcher series looks promising despite the big budget. Risen is only okayish sadly. It's a somewhat decent spiritual successor to Gothic, but fails to capture its brilliance in every aspect. And boy, Risen 2 had such a boring setting and shallow characters. Oh how would I wish if Piranha Bytes could get their hands on a true Gothic successor... That screams for Kickstarter! TAKE MY MUHNEY! ALL OF IT!

hm dunno, I feel like some atmosphere has been lost during the transition from witcher1 to witcher2...I just didn't get into the second one. probably had a lot to do with the console friendly gameplay
metro last light looks cool though.

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
Forget that Gothic 3 and 4 exist.

Gothic 1 and 2 are directly connected, (literally, you start Gothic 2 were you left of Gothic 1), so I'd start with Gothic 1. It's very stoic in terms of controls, but I do really think, in this case that it ADDS to the gameplay once you get accustomed to it. If you can overlook the dated graphic, it's still an awesome game and will pull you into its world. Both are one of my favorite RPGs of all time and my favorite W-RPG (as a genre). They play very similar, and while G1 had imo the better story, G2 is all around a better game otherwise. Still, I'd play both or characters you meet (again) in 2 will have no background story. Good times.

Gothic 1 naturally. You'll most likely want to continue the adventure with part 2. :)

Thanks, I asked because sometimes the first game in a series is completely overshadowed by the sequel's mechanical improvements, and the story is inconsequential enough that it isn't relevant to play the first one.

I have to finish my Dishonored playthrough but I'm near the end so I can't wait to get started, most likely over the weekend.

First time I hear this term. After a quick google search, it doesn't seem to be very widespread tho. Figures that the first result is a neo-gaf thread asking "what is euro-jank". x)

Gothic went downhil due to publisher clash and the new developer that followed eventually. Witcher series looks promising despite the big budget. Risen is only okayish sadly. It's a somewhat decent spiritual successor to Gothic, but fails to capture its brilliance in every aspect. And boy, Risen 2 had such a boring setting and shallow characters. Oh how would I wish if Piranha Bytes could get their hands on a true Gothic successor... That screams for Kickstarter! TAKE MY MUHNEY! ALL OF IT!

The Witcher games are pretty good. the first one lacks the UI and mechanical polish of western games but the side quests and main storyline are enjoyable. The second game has a completely redone combat and graphics systems, but the storyline is shorter than the first game. Also, the UI in the Witcher 2 is atrocious, especially if you play on the PC.

Risen 2 had so much potential. But it still has a few hours of entertainment buried under the poorly thought out design decisions.

Grym

Colin McComb was talking and answering a few questions in the kickstarter comment section a little while ago. Apparently an update is coming still sometime today

Dr.Acula

Banned
Oh lol, I thought "euro-jank" was a real term, now I'm just spreading GAF in-jokes.

But Jank has been used to describe games with half-formed mechanics, and a lot of these European WRPGs are pretty full of them.

I think it lends them a kind of charm.

Like in The Witcher. It took me a devil of a time to figure out how to change from detect enemies to detect magic. A lot of these games don't get that "AAA" smoothing over that titles from the US/Western Europe/Japan do, and honestly, they don't need it. I'm glad the Eastern European devs focus on features and gameplay at the expense of making the game "friendly."

injurai

Banned
and lol, I never realized that term was a in-house gaf thing... I've used it multiples times with my friends...

Oh lol, I thought "euro-jank" was a real term, now I'm just spreading GAF in-jokes.

But Jank has been used to describe games with half-formed mechanics, and a lot of these European WRPGs are pretty full of them.

Like in The Witcher. It took me a devil of a time to figure out how to change from detect enemies to detect magic. A lot of these games don't get that "AAA" smoothing over that titles from the US/Western Europe/Japan do, and honestly, they don't need it. I'm glad the Eastern European devs focus on features and gameplay at the expense of making the game "friendly."

more Polish, less polish

It should be CDPR's slogan. For their amazing games they are always relatively unfriendly at first on launch, but damn are the feature rich. Going forward though it could be "Polish polish" :D they are really ramping up their operations.

I agree. sometimes it's for the best to have a little edge to the game. makes it more special and sometimes even more original & complex in a way. well if it's not completely fucked up of course

Zukuu

Banned
Well patches usually take care of most bugs and glitches. Even if it takes the community to do so. :p

I like the rough design and stoic mechanisms tho. There is nothing worse than a streamlined, shallow game that lacks depth, charm and uniqueness.

Well patches usually take care of most bugs and glitches. Even if it takes the community to do so. :p

I like the rough design and stoic mechanisms tho. There is nothing worse than a streamlined, shallow game that lacks depth, charm and uniqueness.

AMEN.
now where's dat sexy new concept art?

edit:
We will be doing a Reddit AMA for Torment: Tides of Numenera on Wednesday the 20th at 9am PST. Brian Fargo, Kevin Saunders and Colin McComb will be there, and Monte Cook will join in as well for an hour or so.

Here you go, also Adam Heine talking Tides and Legacies.

thanks!
looks nice
fssamplenaksh.jpg

Zukuu

Banned
Here you go, also Adam Heine talking Tides and Legacies.

Love the artwork of Castoff’s Labyrinth.
Kinda reminds me about good ol' "dojos" (ala Final Fantasy 7, Bruce Lee etc) where you climb the levels facing greater challenges on each floor until you reach the final boss.

I'd love if the picture of Castoff’s Labyrinth would link to a high res version of it. It's so tiny :<
Could be the top of a big moving ship for all I could imagine. :p

Question. Do the "stretch goal" idea submissions are automatically considered for "game ideas"? Otherwise, we need to repost our mind-home idea. ;)

The Kid

This concept art is amazing. I'm seriously considering getting one of the prints to hang in my apartment. Has anyone said how big the prints will be?

Fuck it GAF, upped to the $39 tier. Slowly but surely I keep increasing. That new concept art did it. Oh damn there's addons now too?! I was really hoping for the corebook to be an addon :(

And I just bought Gothic 2 on GOG. Time to finally experience it.

dude

dude
Man, Gothic 2 was super popular around here in RPG circles when I was in high school.. I didn't like it very much though.

On topic, nice update. I like the concept art so far. I would really like some more music though!

Chromie

Banned
They have been called Euro-jank rpgs, mostly because of historically smaller budgets and buggy engines.

But they have always stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of tone and themes. But now these games are getting sizeable budgest like Metro and CDPR. Europe has always had better tastes in games IMO, just look at SCEE.

Swen of Larian Studio said it best.

"Swen: I think European games developers aim their games at themselves. And that American developers aim them towards a ‘target audience’, and that’s a very big difference."

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Strange, pledged to all Kickstarters with no problem using a non-american card issued by the subsidiary of Societe General.

Radogol

I have a credit card issued by a Polish bank and Kickstarter was always happy to take my money through Amazon Payments. Weird indeed, I didn't even realize there was supposed to be a problem.

Zukuu

Banned
I'm in Canada with a Canadian credit card and address, and Amazon payments work just fine. Although that is probably the expectation to the rule.

I just know that some time ago (years?) I tried to use amazon payments and couldn't use it, since I don't have an american address. I don't have an credit card, so that might be the reason they don't accept payments from other sources.

These backer-population stretch goals seem to be an effective strategy. It's been most fascinating for me seeing how Kickstarter strategies have evolved over the past year, seeing what's possible outside the binary funded/not funded mechanism.

Top Bottom