• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Zeliard

In other news, Mass Effect still sucks.

I doubt Veronica Mars had much of a negative impact. Kicktraq has us at 30K so far today which is ok. It's not great, but it's fine at this point, tomorrow new awesome art goes up and hopefully much more, so let's give it another kick.

Remember, it does depend on you guys spreading the word! Haha, I feel so lame and marketing-y when saying that, but it's true.

Well, this is sort of why we were concerned about stretch goals. Those are what create hype and added interest once the Kickstarter drive has started and the initial hype wears off. You can otherwise risk stagnating. Good to hear we're getting new stuff tomorrow. :>

Wasteland 2 went from $13k the previous day to $110k and then $75k in the days after it announced Avellone, with 4k new backers. Probably because everyone went around going HOLY FUCK AVELLONE, increasing their pledges and getting new people in. Got some good momentum.

Not that I'm saying you should bring in Avellone, of course, but it'll be curious to see what sort of stuff will attract a lot of new backers in this game, since it was so front-loaded with pledges. If it mimics the spikes Wasteland 2 saw near the mid-point and the spikes all of the projects get near the end, the final amount could be very impressive.

injurai

Banned
6qvTulo.png

Summary of the various suggestions on the forum:

Planned:

Make companions part of dialogues
Save enough funds for a patch or two
Make companions reactive to tides
"What if".... I want my cake, and I want to eat it
Make 35-75% of encounters unique
Character interaction
Living Weapons
A Numenera from our world - Easter Egg
Weird Items
Factions

Not planned:

Complex Character Creation
The Ultimate Dungeon

Under consideration (62 suggestions, way too many to list):

https://torment.uservoice.com/forums/192241-stretch-goals/status/895261

mclem

it was a joke, ME1><ME2 debate is so overplayed that it's almost a meme.

Anyway I'd play Mass Effect game done by inXile. And written by Mitsoda!!

Now I'm wondering if there's a really good space WRPG out there. I remember playing a bit of Megatraveller but never got into it all that deeply, and Mass Effect is good for what it is but there's *so* much more potential. I guess the best bet is KOTOR, and that's still not quite what I have in mind.

mclem

I was just thinking how does a kick-starter movie work, and this is it! Kickstart a reboot of some fan thing fans are crazy for, and yet doesn't need a huge budget.

I do have to wonder if Nathan Fillion is looking at this thoughtfully for when Castle reaches a natural conclusion while mentally composing a letter to Joss

Zeliard

Now I'm wondering if there's a really good space WRPG out there. I remember playing a bit of Megatraveller but never got into it all that deeply, and Mass Effect is good for what it is but there's *so* much more potential. I guess the best bet is KOTOR, and that's still not quite what I have in mind.

I don't think there really is. I was excited for Mass Effect 1 for just that reason, and it ended up being one of the most disappointing games I've played.

I'm awaiting CDPR's Cyberpunk. It isn't space-based, of course, but sci-fi WRPGs in general are pretty rare.

One of these days, someone will make a quality, big-budget, spacefaring RPG. But I doubt Bioware has it in them.

mclem

Deal!
If Avellone is not a stretch goal, I shall refrain from the silver tide my first play through.
If Avellone is included though, you'll give up the red.

"5M stretch goal: we reveal whether Avellone is a stretch goal"

(It strikes me that since the terms of this are only whether it's a stretch goal the outcome of this bet could be entirely decided by the whims of Fargo. If he wants Squiddy to win, all he needs do is state that Avellone is a 100M stretch goal!)

Zukuu

Banned
It's sad that almost no one of the non-german-speaking world has played Gothic 1 and 2. Never has a game pulled me in so much. The immersion was incredible and gameplay unique. All those little creepers you kill in other RPGs were a frigging THREAT in that world. You could explore the whole island, getting yourself killed right at the beginning when you explore areas you're not suitable for yet. It's not that it was enforced combat, you could slip through the world without getting noticed, but there is always a moment, when you pick up ingredients, that you get assaulted by a Wolfpack and die immediately. And the setting and story was thrilling. Both are one of the best WRPG ever. I think The Witcher has borrowed many stuff from those titles.

So good, sooooo good. (And no Gothic 3 / 4 have nothing in common with the first two titles)

And does anyone remembers "Outcast"?

Fishious

Not seeing a portal. All I'm finding are giant skeletons that kick my ass.

Eh, the Zero Escape games provide that in a more straightforward fashion.

As others have said there are a few ways out of the mortuary. The portal is one way, but it will only open if you have the key. As you'll probably find out later talking to NPCs in the Hive, you're in Sigil, the city of doors. Any area bounded on 4 sides can be a portal and nearly anything can be a key. It could be an actual key, a certain item, an emotion, a thought etc. I point this out to stress the importance of talking to every NPC as typically that's how you discover the location and key for a portal. You aren't seeing the portal because presumably you don't have the key. And when I say talk to everyone, I mean everyone. Even most of the zombies in the Mortuary have different descriptions and a few have important things for you.

Barring all that there's still the front door. You should be able to either talk the gatekeeper into opening the door or kill him for the key.

Zeliard

Just wait till Wizards finally pack it in and snatch up the Spelljammer license...

How was that old DOS Spelljammer game?

Still no giant statue crotch.

Entropy unmade his crotch. What are ya gonna do?

I point this out to stress the importance of talking to every NPC

And when I say talk to everyone, I mean everyone.

everyone.

After character creation, this is the #1 rule of Torment. Talk to everyone on every screen.

dude

dude
After character creation, this is the #1 rule of Torment. Talk to everyone on every screen.

Actually, this is something I liked more in BG2 than in PS:T and most newer games - You had to constantly talk with all party members, interrogating them, and hoping that for some reason they now want to tell you something new. BG2 had only companion-initiated dialogue, which while more limiting, resulted in dialogues being much more believable. I'm not saying I wouldn't like the ability to initiate dialogue, but I'd much prefer if most of the relatioships were based more on dialogues initiated by my party.

injurai

Banned
Actually, this is something I liked more in BG2 than in PS:T and most newer games - You had to constantly talk with all party members, interrogating them, and hoping that for some reason they now want to tell you something new. BG2 had only companion-initiated dialogue, which while more limiting, resulted in dialogues being much more believable. I'm not saying I wouldn't like the ability to initiate dialogue, but I'd much prefer if most of the relatioships were based more on dialogues initiated by my party.

Yeah, I really appreciated this in Kotor as well. Though you could always engage yourself as well. Just if something new was now available they would always initiate it.

Muddimar

Whelp! I've backed it with my $20 contribution. Guess it's time to play the first one. I've heard so many good things about it, just haven't pushed it to the top of my list of "things to play". Anything I should know prior to playing it? Should I buy the first one from GOG?

Zeliard

Companion-initiated dialogue can be effective, no doubt. Though in Torment's defense, it was often pretty logical when it came to giving party members new things to say, triggering that stuff largely when you'd expect it to as you progress through the story.

A nice mix of the two would be ideal. Companions should trigger conversation with you at appropriate times, or if you've been ignoring them for an extended period, but on occasion they should also have new things to say if you initiate.

It's sad that almost no one of the non-german-speaking world has played Gothic 1 and 2.

Almost no one is a bit much. They're not smash hits but they're known. Gothic 2 Gold is probably my favorite more actionish cRPG of all time, I love that game to bit for its atmosphere and exploration.

Zukuu

Banned
Almost no one is a bit much. They're not smash hits but they're known. Gothic 2 Gold is probably my favorite more actionish cRPG of all time, I love that game to bit for its atmosphere and exploration.

Now I'm certain that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be the best game ever!

Well it always seems to be a bit unknown whenever I mention 1 / 2. It's also one of the rare cases where the german voice actors were superb. In particular for the nameless hero - and even for a german game, that is rare. It's rather stunning, how we have one of the best dubs, when it comes to movies and series, but for games, it's leagues below the original dub most of the time.

Now I'm certain that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be the best game ever!

Well it always seems to be a bit unknown whenever I mention 1 / 2. It's also one of the rare cases where the german voice actors were superb. In particular for the nameless hero - and even for a german game, that is rare. It's rather stunning, how we have one of the best dubs, when it comes to movies and series, but for games, it's leagues below the original dub most of the time.

can I admit something? I'm german & never played gothic :X

Casimir

Unconfirmed Member
It's sad that almost no one of the non-german-speaking world has played Gothic 1 and 2. Never has a game pulled me in so much. The immersion was incredible and gameplay unique. All those little creepers you kill in other RPGs were a frigging THREAT in that world. You could explore the whole island, getting yourself killed right at the beginning when you explore areas you're not suitable for yet. It's not that it was enforced combat, you could slip through the world without getting noticed, but there is always a moment, when you pick up ingredients, that you get assaulted by a Wolfpack and die immediately. And the setting and story was thrilling. Both are one of the best WRPG ever. I think The Witcher has borrowed many stuff from those titles.

So good, sooooo good. (And no Gothic 3 / 4 have nothing in common with the first two titles)

And does anyone remembers "Outcast"?

Outcast is a great game that is unfortunately under appreciated by time.

I tried to play Gothic 3 when it came out but I just got a crash to desktop every time I tried. My friend who got it to work said that the game was really buggy when working, so I put it in my backlog.

I heard G4 was a Gothic sequel only in name and the gameplay was shallow, so I passed on it and played Risen instead.

I just checked my steam backlog...apparently I have Gothic 1 and 2. Which one do you suggest I start with?

Violet_0

Banned
Gothic 2 (+ Night of the Raven) is still perfectly playable. The English voice-over is terrible, or so I hear!

and yeah, Outcast is a fantastic game. I miss voxels

Zukuu

Banned
Outcast is a great game that is unfortunately under appreciated by time.

I tried to play Gothic 3 when it came out but I just got a crash to desktop every time I tried. My friend who got it to work said that the game was really buggy when working, so I put it in my backlog.

I heard G4 was a Gothic sequel only in name and the gameplay was shallow, so I passed on it and played Risen instead.

I just checked my steam backlog...apparently I have Gothic 1 and 2. Which one do you suggest I start with?

Forget that Gothic 3 and 4 exist.

Gothic 1 and 2 are directly connected, (literally, you start Gothic 2 were you left of Gothic 1), so I'd start with Gothic 1. It's very stoic in terms of controls, but I do really think, in this case that it ADDS to the gameplay once you get accustomed to it. If you can overlook the dated graphic, it's still an awesome game and will pull you into its world. Both are one of my favorite RPGs of all time and my favorite W-RPG (as a genre). They play very similar, and while G1 had imo the better story, G2 is all around a better game otherwise. Still, I'd play both or characters you meet (again) in 2 will have no background story. Good times.

lmpaler

God I love the soundtrack to Torment the more I play it. The fight music I hear the most because, well, people are assholes and need to die sometimes. I cannot wait for this game, the soundtrack will be fantastic.

Zukuu

Banned
Same here in Poland.

Yeah it seems Germany, Poland and Russia are those kind of RPGs really popular, hence the development in those 3 countries of said genre. I don't know what genre that is exactly tho. W-RPG seems to be the most accurate, and yet I feel those are different to the Bioware games. Gothic, Witcher, Risen, Stalker (to a degree) etc

Yeah it seems Germany, Poland and Russia are those kind of RPGs really popular, hence the development in those 3 countries of said genre. I don't know what genre that is exactly tho. W-RPG seems to be the most accurate, and yet I feel those are different to the Bioware games. Gothic, Witcher, Stalker (to a degree) etc

yeah that's that special european flavor
same with metro2033. imo there's a general bleakness and roughness to them, at least when compared to most huge american/japanese titles.

injurai

Banned
They have been called Euro-jank rpgs, mostly because of historically smaller budgets and buggy engines.

But they have always stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of tone and themes. But now these games are getting sizeable budgest like Metro and CDPR. Europe has always had better tastes in games IMO, just look at SCEE.

They have been called Euro-jank rpgs, mostly because of historically smaller budgets and buggy engines.

But they have always stood head and shoulders above the rest in terms of tone and themes. But now these games are getting sizeable budgest like Metro and CDPR. Europe has always had better tastes in games IMO, just look at SCEE.

which already seems to make them more similar to other massmarket titles. sadly :S

Zukuu

Banned

First time I hear this term. After a quick google search, it doesn't seem to be very widespread tho. Figures that the first result is a neo-gaf thread asking "what is euro-jank". x)

which already seems to make them more similar to other massmarket titles. sadly :S

Gothic went downhil due to publisher clash and the new developer that followed eventually. Witcher series looks promising despite the big budget. Risen is only okayish sadly. It's a somewhat decent spiritual successor to Gothic, but fails to capture its brilliance in every aspect. And boy, Risen 2 had such a boring setting and shallow characters. Oh how would I wish if Piranha Bytes could get their hands on a true Gothic successor... That screams for Kickstarter! TAKE MY MUHNEY! ALL OF IT!

Zukuu

Banned
You want to install the Community Patch for Gothic 2. (Dunno if one exists for G1 tho).

It fills my heart with joy that people experience those gems. :D

Open a LTTP thread!

Top Bottom