• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

~Kinggi~

Banned
Interesting description of some companion stuff but thats about it for today. Smaller update it seems. Im not big on physical goods stuff so i imagine its bigger for those folk.

Gattsu25

Banned
Interesting description of some companion stuff but thats about it for today. Smaller update it seems. Im not big on physical goods stuff so i imagine its bigger for those folk.

I wish the busts were cheaper. Oh well, that is the only physical award I particularly care for.

The new video was great, btw. Love the concept of the companions
feeling your pain

Onemic

First Kickstarter I've ever supported. Dropped 45 bucks for the Torment and Wasteland 2 combo package. Hoping this game lives up to Planescape Torment.

Velinos

I just posted a comment on the forum suggesting that the Large Cloth Wall Map available in the $500+ tiers be available as an add-on. I already have the $250 tier and the $525 tier is a bit outside of my price range, but I also really want that map.

Lime

NMdC8ff.png

Looks like we can expect non-stupid armor designs in this game :p

So why is today a bigger than usual bump? Already at 48k...
No idea! Haha. We're approaching one week left when you usually start upcurving slightly, but why today has been more active, I'm not sure. PE did give us another nice shoutout, plus I guess a lot of people are getting their wages today, and our tier/add-on expansions seem to be going over well, so maybe it's a combination of all that.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Good thing the last week is next week. This week has been pretty cluttered with huge news. Bioshock, GDC, PAX, lots of new game stuff.

Rather randomly, but has there been any words on the range being sought after on the music aside from the stretch goal that landed some orchestra use? As in, given the unusual setting, is there any hope for the likes of synths or even some FM Synth action coming out to join the otherworldly party?

jb1234

Rather randomly, but has there been any words on the range being sought after on the music aside from the stretch goal that landed some orchestra use? As in, given the unusual setting, is there any hope for the likes of synths or even some FM Synth action coming out to join the otherworldly party?

Given the samples we've already heard, I'd imagine it'll be a combination of orchestra and electronics.

Violet_0

Banned
Thats a freaky looking sea monster thingy. And how are we supposed to navigate underwater?

I guess you walk around inside the worm creature-like thingie. I wonder if you start at the tower and then proceed to explore the rest of the labyrinth, or the other way around

Never ceases to surprise. I'm really curious how many levels you had in mind when doing that artwork. x)

Haha.

Nah seriously, it's a fun creative process but we're basically building it up off the cuff. As such, I wouldn't take it as a literal presentation of how it plays out in the game. For instance, the presence of the jungle may only be seen through text or not at all, and perhaps most time is spent in the central labyrinth? That kind of stuff is really subject to change, and especially the size of it shouldn't be taken as representing literal level size. It is all based on real ideas we have for the place, and we will implement fathoms, it may just not all quite be what shown. But that should be understandable, since we're only just in pre-production.

bidaum

I like to keep my supervisor, who has never had the time or patience for any rpg, up-to-date daily on the kickstarter progress. I told him I wanted to go to the kickstarter closing party, and he said we'd go at 5mil... feel free to make this a stretch goal :D

I sure hope mrs. Wilson's and Kickstarter's shenanigans do not hurt this project(or Divinity).

I got a few notes from people dropping pledges or switching to PayPal for it, which seems fair enough to me. Don't think it's major enough to really impact Kickstarters in a major way though.

Tarsul

I would switch to paypal (should be better for the developers anyway since they dont have to share with kickstarter...) but I am in the 95$ pledge tier so that's not really an option...

Eusis

Well, is Kickstarter doing anything there that could affect this or Divinity's, or is it just stupid crap on the side making the waters murky?

~Kinggi~

Banned
I found a download link to an interview with Fargo on a talk radio. Was interesting. Starts around 24 min.

http://www.640toronto.com/HostsandShows/VideoGameSophistry.aspx

I really like the points he makes about how developers always listen to feedback after a game is done in regards to whats lacking and such, so why shouldn't that process occur at the start when something can be done about it. It really paints kickstarter as a win-win for most everyone.

D

Deleted member 102362

Unconfirmed Member
I sure hope mrs. Wilson's and Kickstarter's shenanigans do not hurt this project(or Divinity).

What is this referring to? What happened?

Ok wait, people are dropping support of Torment's KS because a 9-year-old girl/her mom put up what looks like a joke KS project?

Madouu

What is this referring to? What happened?

Ok wait, people are dropping support of Torment's KS because a 9-year-old girl/her mom put up what looks like a joke KS project?

It must be a few people at best.

So about that yesterday's bump, was it really the mention Torment got in the project eternity update that did it? Pretty impressive if you ask me.

Labadal

So I was thinking about how combat would work and then an interesting thought stuck with me. Why not make a combat system inspired by The Temple of Elemental Evil? I know they aren't using D&D but they could still do something similar. If they are going to make a sequel to one of the games with the best story, why not also get inspired by one of the games that has the best turn based combat that uses a party of adventurers.

So about that yesterday's bump, was it really the mention Torment got in the project eternity update that did it? Pretty impressive if you ask me.

It was probably a combination of things & coverage that happened to coincide well, including PE's mention.

7 days left and they need about $300K (PayPal contributions accounted for) to reach the $3.5M milestone. Can it be done?

$3.5 million is pretty much a given at this point.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It was probably a combination of things & coverage that happened to coincide well, including PE's mention.

$3.5 million is pretty much a given at this point.

Yeah, no way they will not reach 3,5M.

Also, good to have Avellone on board.

Acidote

New update, 2D PRE-RENDERED GRAPHICS Obsidian collaboration:

Updated our Journal (11): Delving Deeper into Story & Graphics

TL;DR: Nathan Long tells a story (video). Five Fathoms Deep. Dust and Water concept by Andree Wallin. Collaboration with Obsidian Entertainment. 2D pre-rendered graphics.

Hi Forgotten Ones,

Thanks to you, we had a record-breaking debut at the beginning of the month. With the announcements of Pat Rothfuss and Chris Avellone last week, we sailed past Wasteland 2’s total of nearly $3M. You’ve seen how great Wasteland 2 is coming along. We’ll have even more resources for Torment.

In the early morning of March 6th we had no way of knowing how powerful your response would be. We were humbled and inspired by your outpouring of support. And as we come upon our final week, we again do not know what to expect. Perhaps RPG fans will surprise us a second time. Whatever the outcome, we can assure you that Torment will bring you a powerful, profound role-playing experience – you’ve already ensured that. But just how far we’ll be able to take it depends on all of you.

We have a couple surprises left for you. We hope you enjoy them.

Nathan Tells a Story (several, in fact)

In our Tales of Torment episodes, we’ve talked about many aspects of the game’s creative elements. Writer and designer Nathan Long (also a Wasteland 2 designer) brings all of those pieces together, explaining how we use these components to craft an RPG story. He talks about this in the context of possible subplots within the Bloom. This episode is a bit longer than most, but I think you'll find it’s worth it. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae3cG6QAos0

Fathoms

The ranks of the Forgotten have grown to over 57,000, thus bringing us five Fathoms deep in the Castoff’s Labyrinth. And we’re already 1/3 of the way to Fathom six! We’ll also add a bonus Fathom to the Castoff’s Labyrinth when we reach 10,000 Likes on our Facebook page, so spread the word!

P2y3u3h.png

Some of you have wondered if the Castoff’s Labyrinth will play such a strong role in the game, and be such a cool location, that it could even encourage players to die on purpose. We won’t design it that way. =) Like every area in the game, it has its part to play in the narrative, in your story. And what exactly that role is will be part of your legacy – but it’s just a part, and it will differ based upon your choices, your priorities.

We’ve been expanding the Labyrinth both through Stretch Goals and by going into deeper Fathoms, which might give the impression that it’ll cover a majority of your game time. But while death is very relevant to legacy, abandonment, and mystery, death on its own isn’t one of our themes. The Castoff’s Labyrinth will absolutely be an exciting and awe-inspiring area, both for you to play (and for us to design =) ). But it’s just one small component of the full game, and not by any means the most exotic aspect we have planned. And Dana Knutson’s concepts of it aren’t necessarily literal representations of its size or contents – your mind is malleable and the pathways within change and shift under your feet. Who can say what lies within the deepest recesses?

Technology Collaboration with Obsidian

As you know, we’ve been working on Wasteland 2 in Unity and will be implementing Torment in Unity as well. Meanwhile, about 20 minutes away, Obsidian Entertainment is creating Project Eternity, also in Unity. Though there are major differences between our games, there are also similarities as all are RPGs built in the same engine. As many of you have suggested, it only makes sense that we collaborate where we can.

We are happy to announce that inXile and the great guys over at Obsidian have reached an agreement to share tools and technology when it makes sense. This will allow both companies to be more cost-effective on these projects, allowing your pledges to go further in terms of creating art, content, gameplay, and game polish. Vive le classic RPG revolution!

Another Major City

You’ve already seen Sagus Cliffs, which will be a major hub in the game. As part of an upcoming Stretch Goal, we’ll be adding the Oasis of M’ra Jolios as another prominent city location. Here’s Andree Wallin’s concept, Dust and Water, of this complex and bizarre urban ecosystem (wallpaper versions will be available soon at our website):

ORtOjQC.jpg

A gigantic dome of water shimmers in the middle of a vast desert, seemingly impervious to the cruel rays of the sun's heat. Curved obelisks from another age rise from the sands to cup and surround the bubble like gentle fingers.

This impossible oasis is home to numerous kinds of water-breathing abhumans. Some sport fins for legs like merpeople, some wear flippers for hands, while others appear almost human, being marked with only a dorsal fin from their head to their waist. No two are quite the same. Indeed, some are immigrants from far away, come to this aquatic utopia through strange pathways in reality.

But humans live here too, mostly for trade or work. They use various numenera to breath underwater – implantable gills, breathing apparatuses, portable air bubbles, and so forth. A town of air-breather buildings has grown up around the outside of the dome. These air-breathers are reliant on the dome, as most of their food (and all of their water) comes from within, but they make a good trade in the unique foods, animals, and textiles grown under the water. And of course visitors can find multiple shops in the air-breather town that will provide the varied numenera they need to enter the dome themselves.

Miscellaneous

April Fools’ Day

We’ll have a significant Update for you on Monday. It just so happens that’s April Fools’ Day. Rest assured that our Update will be real. =)

Video Q&A

We’ve opened a new Q&A forum on UserVoice. Post and vote for your biggest questions and Colin will do a future video that answers some of the top voted ones. Ask away!

Closing Party
Just a reminder that if you want to celebrate with us at our closing party on Friday, April 5th beginning at 2 PM PDT, please login at tormentRPG.com and let us know – we’re looking to finalize the guest list today. We plan to broadcast live from the event and will send information next week on how to watch.

Some Words on Graphics

I’ve advertised that we’d say more about graphics this week. The most popular Stretch Goal request from you, our backers, is for 2D pre-rendered graphics, which would mean that Torment would have a fixed, isometric camera with 2D backgrounds. A primary disadvantage is that this approach requires a longer, and therefore more expensive, pipeline for art assets, but its advantages are numerous:

The same basic feel as classic RPGs (such as the Baldur’s Gate series and Planescape™: Torment) in terms of camera and environments
Environments will have a more “painterly” look, allowing us to more closely represent our concept pieces
By designing the art for a fixed camera view, every scene will look its best
System requirements will be lower
Because we are using a 3D engine, characters, effects, and some environmental props would still be modeled in 3D. This allows them to be changed dynamically during play (a 3D box could be opened, for example) and enables us to still adapt our Wasteland 2 pipeline and underlying systems (such as for character animation).

A famous recent example of this approach in practice is the screenshot released by Obsidian for Project Eternity last fall. We agree that it would be the best style to realize our vision for Torment and have been investigating its feasibility throughout this Kickstarter campaign.

We’ve been carefully evaluating the costs and trade-offs, and it looks like a 2D pre-rendered graphics approach may be possible. Being able to achieve this quality bar is only an option because of your great support – we are thrilled at the possibility that Torment could be as strong in its aesthetics as it will be in its storytelling and choices and consequences.

So what exactly will a Torment environment look like in-game? For that, I’ll have to ask for your patience a little longer – stay tuned next week!

Kevin Saunders
Project Lead

Midou

Is there going to be a last minute 3.75 million stretch goal? :p

The 200k extra would count towards stretch goals right?

Violet_0

Banned
I suggest a thread title change to include the words "2D graphics!" and "second city!" and "holy shit!"

but yeah, looks like they're really going all out now. Throw in a mockup screenshot of the in-game graphics and this should push them over the 4 mil mark. I like how they're aiming for a graphic style similar to Project Eternity, Infinity Engine 2.0 anyone? Now who's going to complete the trinity and make a spiritual successor to Icewind Dale?

quoting again for new page:
New update, 2D PRE-RENDERED GRAPHICS Obsidian collaboration:

Updated our Journal (11): Delving Deeper into Story & Graphics

TL;DR: Nathan Long tells a story (video). Five Fathoms Deep. Dust and Water concept by Andree Wallin. Collaboration with Obsidian Entertainment. 2D pre-rendered graphics.

Hi Forgotten Ones,

Thanks to you, we had a record-breaking debut at the beginning of the month. With the announcements of Pat Rothfuss and Chris Avellone last week, we sailed past Wasteland 2’s total of nearly $3M. You’ve seen how great Wasteland 2 is coming along. We’ll have even more resources for Torment.

In the early morning of March 6th we had no way of knowing how powerful your response would be. We were humbled and inspired by your outpouring of support. And as we come upon our final week, we again do not know what to expect. Perhaps RPG fans will surprise us a second time. Whatever the outcome, we can assure you that Torment will bring you a powerful, profound role-playing experience – you’ve already ensured that. But just how far we’ll be able to take it depends on all of you.

We have a couple surprises left for you. We hope you enjoy them.

Nathan Tells a Story (several, in fact)

In our Tales of Torment episodes, we’ve talked about many aspects of the game’s creative elements. Writer and designer Nathan Long (also a Wasteland 2 designer) brings all of those pieces together, explaining how we use these components to craft an RPG story. He talks about this in the context of possible subplots within the Bloom. This episode is a bit longer than most, but I think you'll find it’s worth it. =)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ae3cG6QAos0

Fathoms

The ranks of the Forgotten have grown to over 57,000, thus bringing us five Fathoms deep in the Castoff’s Labyrinth. And we’re already 1/3 of the way to Fathom six! We’ll also add a bonus Fathom to the Castoff’s Labyrinth when we reach 10,000 Likes on our Facebook page, so spread the word!

P2y3u3h.png

Some of you have wondered if the Castoff’s Labyrinth will play such a strong role in the game, and be such a cool location, that it could even encourage players to die on purpose. We won’t design it that way. =) Like every area in the game, it has its part to play in the narrative, in your story. And what exactly that role is will be part of your legacy – but it’s just a part, and it will differ based upon your choices, your priorities.

We’ve been expanding the Labyrinth both through Stretch Goals and by going into deeper Fathoms, which might give the impression that it’ll cover a majority of your game time. But while death is very relevant to legacy, abandonment, and mystery, death on its own isn’t one of our themes. The Castoff’s Labyrinth will absolutely be an exciting and awe-inspiring area, both for you to play (and for us to design =) ). But it’s just one small component of the full game, and not by any means the most exotic aspect we have planned. And Dana Knutson’s concepts of it aren’t necessarily literal representations of its size or contents – your mind is malleable and the pathways within change and shift under your feet. Who can say what lies within the deepest recesses?

Technology Collaboration with Obsidian

As you know, we’ve been working on Wasteland 2 in Unity and will be implementing Torment in Unity as well. Meanwhile, about 20 minutes away, Obsidian Entertainment is creating Project Eternity, also in Unity. Though there are major differences between our games, there are also similarities as all are RPGs built in the same engine. As many of you have suggested, it only makes sense that we collaborate where we can.

We are happy to announce that inXile and the great guys over at Obsidian have reached an agreement to share tools and technology when it makes sense. This will allow both companies to be more cost-effective on these projects, allowing your pledges to go further in terms of creating art, content, gameplay, and game polish. Vive le classic RPG revolution!

Another Major City

You’ve already seen Sagus Cliffs, which will be a major hub in the game. As part of an upcoming Stretch Goal, we’ll be adding the Oasis of M’ra Jolios as another prominent city location. Here’s Andree Wallin’s concept, Dust and Water, of this complex and bizarre urban ecosystem (wallpaper versions will be available soon at our website):

ORtOjQC.jpg

A gigantic dome of water shimmers in the middle of a vast desert, seemingly impervious to the cruel rays of the sun's heat. Curved obelisks from another age rise from the sands to cup and surround the bubble like gentle fingers.

This impossible oasis is home to numerous kinds of water-breathing abhumans. Some sport fins for legs like merpeople, some wear flippers for hands, while others appear almost human, being marked with only a dorsal fin from their head to their waist. No two are quite the same. Indeed, some are immigrants from far away, come to this aquatic utopia through strange pathways in reality.

But humans live here too, mostly for trade or work. They use various numenera to breath underwater – implantable gills, breathing apparatuses, portable air bubbles, and so forth. A town of air-breather buildings has grown up around the outside of the dome. These air-breathers are reliant on the dome, as most of their food (and all of their water) comes from within, but they make a good trade in the unique foods, animals, and textiles grown under the water. And of course visitors can find multiple shops in the air-breather town that will provide the varied numenera they need to enter the dome themselves.

Miscellaneous

April Fools’ Day

We’ll have a significant Update for you on Monday. It just so happens that’s April Fools’ Day. Rest assured that our Update will be real. =)

Video Q&A

We’ve opened a new Q&A forum on UserVoice. Post and vote for your biggest questions and Colin will do a future video that answers some of the top voted ones. Ask away!

Closing Party

Just a reminder that if you want to celebrate with us at our closing party on Friday, April 5th beginning at 2 PM PDT, please login at tormentRPG.com and let us know – we’re looking to finalize the guest list today. We plan to broadcast live from the event and will send information next week on how to watch.

Some Words on Graphics

I’ve advertised that we’d say more about graphics this week. The most popular Stretch Goal request from you, our backers, is for 2D pre-rendered graphics, which would mean that Torment would have a fixed, isometric camera with 2D backgrounds. A primary disadvantage is that this approach requires a longer, and therefore more expensive, pipeline for art assets, but its advantages are numerous:

The same basic feel as classic RPGs (such as the Baldur’s Gate series and Planescape™: Torment) in terms of camera and environments
Environments will have a more “painterly” look, allowing us to more closely represent our concept pieces
By designing the art for a fixed camera view, every scene will look its best
System requirements will be lower
Because we are using a 3D engine, characters, effects, and some environmental props would still be modeled in 3D. This allows them to be changed dynamically during play (a 3D box could be opened, for example) and enables us to still adapt our Wasteland 2 pipeline and underlying systems (such as for character animation).

A famous recent example of this approach in practice is the screenshot released by Obsidian for Project Eternity last fall. We agree that it would be the best style to realize our vision for Torment and have been investigating its feasibility throughout this Kickstarter campaign.

We’ve been carefully evaluating the costs and trade-offs, and it looks like a 2D pre-rendered graphics approach may be possible. Being able to achieve this quality bar is only an option because of your great support – we are thrilled at the possibility that Torment could be as strong in its aesthetics as it will be in its storytelling and choices and consequences.

So what exactly will a Torment environment look like in-game? For that, I’ll have to ask for your patience a little longer – stay tuned next week!

Kevin Saunders
Project Lead

Zukuu

Banned
The 2D prerender tease is so good. That made me really hype. The game would look sooo gorgeous with a 2D pre-render style. I really think it would help to envision the world of Numenera the best.

Nice that they are working closer with Obsidian together. I think it is a mutual advantage for both to share their experience and assets.

Can't wait for that picture.

Zeliard

The oasis water city sounds great. I like that it seems to serve as an interdimensional nexus of sorts - shades of Sigil in that respect.

They've done all they need to, especially after they release the environment screenshot, which could potentially add to a meaty final bump. Only question at this point is where the final total lands.

Kurtofan

I suggest a thread title change to include the words "2D graphics!" and "second city!" and "holy shit!"

but yeah, looks like they're really going all out now. Throw in a mockup screenshot of the in-game graphics and this should push them over the 4 mil mark. I like how they're aiming for a graphic style similar to Project Eternity, Infinity Engine 2.0 anyone? Now who's going to complete the trinity and make a spiritual successor to Icewind Dale?

quoting again for new page:

I thought this was the 4 million stretch goal but this is already included.

Top Bottom