• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Zukuu

Banned
Backers 54,000
Next Labyrinth level!

Can't wait for the artwork. I'm curious to how they expand it further downward.
I'm betting on a big "rock pillar"

ghostmind

MniGIIV.png

Well that is creepy.

~Kinggi~

Banned
lmao holy shiet thats sweet.

Edit: And i actually hope they stay true to the general design there, i mean they need to keep those concepts. Same as Project Eternity dungeon.

Violet_0

Banned
so are these guys on the actual main writing team or are they doing special guest sidequests or some such?

from the blog posts and interviews I've read, I'm getting the impression it's the latter. They get to write a companion, some sidequests and/or an area of the game.

Well that is creepy.
you mean awesome. I wonder where they can go from there. An island in the ocean, probably

Zeliard

I wonder what that thing represents in the castoff's mind.

I really like the way they've been unveiling the labyrinth, starting with the spire and slowly pulling back, going deeper while also expanding outwards. Very cool.

And yeah it seems to be some sort of island. Given the bizarre nature of course it wouldn't surprise me if the whole thing was sitting on some gigantic creature's back. :p

Wonder if we'll manage another 3k backers.
Project Eternity managed 73k backers, so are we looking at the same amount of backers here or are the Torment backers just funding more per backer?

~Kinggi~

Banned
Project Eternity managed 73k backers, so are we looking at the same amount of backers here or are the Torment backers just funding more per backer?

I think we will be close to that backer amount. PE gained a bunch toward the end. I dont know why everyone waits to the end to back it.

I think we will be close to that backer amount. PE gained a bunch toward the end. I dont know why everyone waits to the end to back it.

People surprisingly don't believe a project will succeed or do well even if it meets its goal as quickly as this. Or they somehow don't hear about it.

Durante

I expected it to reach around 70k as well, but one thing to consider is that Eternity had 25k $20 tiers available, while Torment only has 15k.

All they should do as far as voice acting is exactly what Torment did. VA should consist of party banter, introductory lines from important characters, and the occasional other line of dialogue that would be well-served in standing out a bit more.

That's pretty much the plan, yeah. Full voice acting isn't even on the table, it is simply too expensive and too constricting for the writing, but partial VA is more or less a given, it's just a matter of figuring out how much we want to. Something similar to Planescape: Torment is most likely.

That's pretty much the plan, yeah. Full voice acting isn't even on the table, it is simply too expensive and too constricting for the writing, but partial VA is more or less a given, it's just a matter of figuring out how much we want to. Something similar to Planescape: Torment is most likely.

Perfect. I skip the voicing in RPG's almost all the time, so I actually prefer it not to have everything voiced.

Zeliard

Sounds great :)

chifanpoe

That is great news, I would rather have that audio money go into more musical tracks than va.

saxman717

Banned
1 slot opened up at the $500 level tonight ---- was at the $125 level and upped it to snag the opening! Can't wait to get all the signed goods from this talented squad

~Kinggi~

Banned
Cant wait for news next week on the final round of updates. Shall be interesting. We got a nice bump from the a-bomb but its back down to 20k days again.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Just checked in on this for the first time a couple of weeks. Wow, Patrick Rothfuss involvement as a stretch goal? I like the sound of that.

You think we can make it to Avelone ?

We'll make it to avellone. The up coming week they will start to ramp things up, Hopefully more detailed posts about the world, cults, companions, maybe some more music, concept art, final stretch goals, streaming chats/interviews with some of the talent. Maybe a final 24 hours straight of kickstarter streaming of let's plays

Zukuu

Banned
I hope we'll break the 2D stretch goal tho... unless it'll be part of the game from the get go. :<

...and if they don't consider it at all, I'm gonna be disappointed. :<

~Kinggi~

Banned
I hope we'll break the 2D stretch goal tho... unless it'll be part of the game from the get go. :<

...and if they don't consider it at all, I'm gonna be disappointed. :<

They are considering 'something' regarding graphics they will be talking about next week.

On the otherhand, they got 11 days on them to raise that final million.
If they could get a guest video from Avellone the moment they hit his stretch goal, I think it'll be smooth sailing from there.

jb1234

I'm not convinced they'll reach 4 million but I guess it'll depend on the final push. The last big gaming Kickstarter (Dreamfall Chapters) barely had one at all.

Necrovex

I'm not convinced they'll reach 4 million but I guess it'll depend on the final push. The last big gaming Kickstarter (Dreamfall Chapters) barely had one at all.

I believe Obsidian's project, Eternity, got a million dollar push during its final day. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know that project got an insane amount during its final hour though.

~Kinggi~

Banned

If it follows Dreamfalls trend, its looking at around 500k in its final push. If it follows PE, its looking closer to a million for last 2 days.

Durante

I believe Obsidian's project, Eternity, got a million dollar push during its final day. Correct me if I'm wrong. I know that project got an insane amount during its final hour though.
This is correct, however, P:E wasn't nearly as frontloaded as Torment appears to be. I think Dreamfall is a closer comparison -- however, even that made a bit less than half of its first day in the final 2 day push. If you apply that to Torment, you're still looking at ~700k on the last 2 days combined.

I believe Obsidian's project, Eternity, got a million dollar push during its final day. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Almost. It got a million dollars in its final four days. About 600K of that in its final day. Wasteland 2 raised about 500K in its final four days, only about 100K in its final day. I'd expect Torment to perform closer to WL2 in this, Eternity's situation of raising both backers and average pledge-per-backer was unique, and Torment's pledge-per-backer average now is already higher than Eternity was at the end.

Torment was not just more front-loaded in total backers, but it also has a higher pledge-per-backer than Eternity, WL2 or DFA did. It really is a victim of its own success now, haha, but I think we've got some good stuff planned to try and push for that magic 4. 3.5m honestly I think we could make even without too much effort, but we plan to put in a lot of effort.

Top Bottom